Our First Winter Trip Report: 12/26/11-12/30/11

When: 12/26/11-12/30/11

Where: Shades of Green

Starring: Myself, grandparents, and cousin Andrew

DSC02083.jpg

After our Christmas festivities were over, Andrew and I spent the night at my grandparents house, so we’d all be able to get up early for our flight the next morning. We flew Jet Blue (my favorite, along with Southwest) and we arrived in Orlando around 10:00 AM.

Upon arrival at the Shades of Green lobby we saw the huge (and beautiful) Christmas tree, and this, which I thought was adorable:

DSC01718.jpg

Shades of Green is iffy for me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a beautiful hotel, but to me it doesn’t feel like Disney. The only Disney décor in the hotel is the statue and the lobby, though there were a few hidden Mickeys in the tree and wreaths for the holiday season. Shades of Green is great because of the rates obviously, as well as the close proximity to the Magic Kingdom and Polynesian. But like I said the hotel, and the room is beautiful and great for the price. Heres the view of the golf course from our room:

DSC01723.jpg

Random tidbit about Shades of Green… This was my first time staying here since 2006, so maybe things have changed since then, but I always thought the busses went to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. This past week the busses that picked us up at the hotel either went to Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, or the Transportation and Ticket Center. I mean, I love riding the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, it just seemed like it took more time than necessary especially during a busy holiday week. We wanted to make rope drop at the Magic Kingdom one morning, so we got the first Shades of Green bus at 6:30, and when we got to the Transportation and Ticket Center only the resort monorail line was running, eventually we made it to the Magic Kingdom, with about two seconds of the opening show left as we were going through the turnstiles. It really wasn’t a big deal because we’ve seen it before, it was just slightly aggravating because I feel like if there was a bus for the Magic Kingdom at 6:30 in the first place we would have made it for the whole thing. Oh well, just a thought.

Anyways, after getting settled in our room, our first stop was Epcot. We got to Epcot around 1:00 and it was already very crowded. We grabbed fast passes for Test Track and started walking towards Canada for our lunch reservation at Le Cellier. This was our first time eating at Le Cellier, and to be honest I was a little worried that it wouldn’t live up to the hype, not that I didn’t think it would be good, its just when something is hyped up that much sometimes you have to wonder. But it was amazing, the best filet mignon I’ve ever had, and I don’t think I could go there again without getting the cheddar cheese soup either. Unfortunately I didn’t take any food pictures this trip, so you’ll have to use your imagination, food pictures on my next trip though!

DSC01736.jpg

When we finished lunch, we made our way back towards Future World and got right in line for Spaceship Earth. This is probably my favorite ride in Epcot. I love Test Track too, but Spaceship Earth will always be my absolute favorite. I wish the old ending was still there, but my grandparents and Andrew thought the cartoon was cute. I’m sure its fine for the average visitor, but it makes me a little sad to see one of my favorite rides without the ending I think it needs.

DSC01744.jpg

Our next stop was the Seas with Nemo and Friends, my first time being here, ever. Even when it was the Living Seas I have never been. I think its one of those things, that when I was younger my family would do the same things every trip because they knew everyone liked them, and the Living Seas was just not one of those things I guess. So this trips had a lot of firsts, I was pretty determined to try new things that my less Disney obsessed family either didn’t know about or wouldn’t think to do. I thought the ride was very cute, and the exhibits were interesting and actually somewhat reminded me of our aquarium at home. Weird, I know, that doesn’t make any sense, but it did in my head haha.

DSC01742.jpg

Figment was next, and I don’t really know what to think of it. I’ve done it when I was younger because its one of my grandma’s favorites, but I honestly don’t get it. Its not a bad ride, its just not my thing. It also seemed different than I remember it, but again I haven’t ridden it since I was much younger so I may be wrong.

Then it was time to ride Test Track! Usually we ride Test Track a couple of times each trip, but this turned out to be the only one. I knew this week was going to be insanely crowded when we booked it, and I warned everyone else but this was the only week during the holiday season we could all go, thus resulting in riding Test Track only once. Every time we were in Epcot (except this first day) the wait time for Test Track was at least 140 minutes and the fast passes were already gone. Oh well, there’s always next time.

When we got off Test Track we decided to walk around World Showcase. One of the reasons why I wish we had more time during this trip was for World Showcase. We kind of breezed through some of the countries, and I wish we could have spent more time in them. Everything was beautifully decorated for the holidays, and I wish I could have spent more time walking around just to look at the decorations. For dinner in World Showcase, Andrew wanted chicken fingers. I think my grandparents didn’t really care what they ate, so they hung around the America pavilion so Andrew could get his chicken fingers. I love all different kinds of food and was by no means going to have chicken fingers in World Showcase, so I snuck off to Japan for some Udon noodles (which were delicious) and met everyone back in time for the American Adventure show. I LOVE this show. Maybe its because I’m a History major, but I just love it. And the Hall of Presidents, they’re both great.

After the show we watched some of the Candlelight Processional, another show I’ve never seen before. We only caught part of it before the group decided to move on, we were standing in the back behind a huge crowd anyways, but from what I saw it was beautiful,

Next we sort of breezed through the rest of the countries, before staking out a spot near England for Illuminations. The holiday version of Illuminations is one of the best fireworks shows I’ve ever seen. The whole “Peace on Earth” bit was great, I can’t wait to go to Disney in (EARLY, so it isn't so crowded) December again just to see this show.

After Illuminations, Epcot was closing for the night, and I was so planning on going to the Magic Kingdom for a few hours. But my grandparents weren’t up for it, and they didn’t want Andrew and I to go by ourselves. (I really wish I could have went, but they took me on the trip, so I wasn’t going to argue with it).

Day 2 will be up tomorrow, thanks for reading. J

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
The next morning we were up bright and early to (hopefully) arrive at the Magic Kingdom in time for rope drop. Well, we almost made it, thanks to the Shades of Green transportation schedule. Here’s the one picture I was able to get:

DSC01810.jpg

After the park was officially opened, we headed right towards the Main Street Bakery. My grandma and I got bagels, while my grandpa and Andrew got cinnamon buns which were delicious. The next time I was at the bakery I got a chocolate croissant, my new favorite!

When we finished breakfast we went right over to Frontierland, for Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain. But first it was time for a character picture! (The only character picture of this trip unfortunately… Every time I’ve been to WDW after the age of maybe 13 it seems as though no one in my family is interested in character pictures. I feel like they did it when we were younger, and now we’re old so no more character pictures. I LOVE meeting characters and wish we did it more often, but I’m the only one who feels this way so I wasn’t about to drag everyone else in line for meet and greets.)

DSC01821.jpg

We walked right on Splash, and waited only about 10 minutes for Thunder, which was great considering how crowded it would get in a few hours. Don’t laugh too much at my face on Splash Mountain, 50 ft drops are clearly not my thing!

[splash picture]

I only started going on Splash Mountain over the summer, so when I read online that it needs a refurbishment I honestly can’t tell if it really does. I thought everything seemed to be working fine, except in the summer I thought I remembered part of the ride where the water goes over your log kind of making a tunnel? That could be completely wrong, and I don’t even remember where it is, but that definitely didn’t happen while I was on it. Everything else from what I know seemed fine, but again, this was only probably my third time on it.

We then went right over to Adventureland where we rode a favorite of everyones-- Pirates of the Caribbean.

DSC01822.jpg

And then the Jungle Cruise (that I didn’t take any pictures on, because I rode it twice on my last trip and have more than enough photos of it for now). Our skipper was very good though, He definitely used some of his own material, and kept everyone engaged.

Liberty Square was our next stop, including another one of my favorites-- the Hall of Presidents. I think Andrew may have fallen asleep in here… that was a theme of this trip, any remotely dark show we went to Andrew would take a little nap. Oh well, still one of my favorites.

DSC01825.jpg

A spin on the riverboat was next, something we don’t ordinarily do, but it was starting to get pretty crowded and it was nice to get a little break from the mobs of people.

DSC01857.jpg

Time for the Haunted Mansion! My grandparents were under the impression that it would be all decked out for the holidays like in Disneyland, oh how I wish it was, but it was still great none the less.

DSC01827.jpg

We had just enough time to see the Country Bear Jamboree before making our way towards the castle for Dream Along with Mickey. I love the Country Bear Jamboree. I think Andrew thought it was too cheesy and just wanted out of there, but I loved it. At least he stayed awake though!

We got to the castle early enough to get a spot right in front of the stage for the show. It was very overcast, and we were worried that the show might get rained out. Before it started cast members kept mopping the stage and some of the dancers were out walking on it too. It looked like they were testing out if it would be too slippery if it did end up raining. When the show was supposed to start there was an announcement that it would be temporarily delayed, but starting shortly, or something along those lines. So we waited… and waited… and then, another announcement! “Due to inclement weather this performance of Dream Along with Mickey has been cancelled” (or something like that). And literally, right after the announcement was over, the rain showed up. But don’t worry, we got to see the show eventually anyways.

DSC01872.jpg

The rain was our cue for lunch, to Casey’s Corner! When we were done with lunch, the rain was over and it was time for Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade.

DSC01880.jpg

Note: the sky is now clear, it was back and forth all day between downright stormy and warm and beautiful.

DSC01908.jpg

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
My favorite part of the parade:

DSC01973.jpg

And now it was time to see Dream Along with Mickey (the almost rain-free version, with this lovely crowd behind us)

DSC01992.jpg

I love this show. I only saw it for the first time over the summer and it was just amazing. It has everything I love about Disney in it, Mickey, Minnie, pirates, princesses, Malificient. The first time I saw it and Peter Pan jumped up and said “Did someone say adventure?!” I was like =O .

DSC02053.jpg

But this show was only almost rain-free. Immediately after I took the picture above, the announcers voice said that the show was cancelled. At least it was right towards the end, I’m pretty sure there was only another minute or two left. It makes me wonder if in the picture (above) everyone was looking up because they were supposed to pose like that, or if they were like “RAIN-- DO NOT WANT!”

DSC02054.jpg

And where should we go when it rains? The People Mover of course! But we had to get through this Christmas-week crowd first--

DSC02069.jpg

DSC02063.jpg

We went over to the Mad Tea Party next, basically to get away from the Tomorrowland crowd. But we had to stop for ice cream first, don’t you love his shirt?!

DSC02072.jpg

The Tomorrowland Speedway was next on our list! This is something we usually skip, but the wait wasn’t bad at all compared to everything else so why not? We also thought the cars were hard to steer, maybe its just us, but that was one scary ride with Andrew driving!

IMG_1362.jpg

Dinner tonight was at Tony’s Town Square, and it was great. I’ve heard mixed reviews on it, especially from people who know Italian food (we do) and it was delicious, especially the calamari appetizer.

It was starting to get dark now so we headed over to the castle for the lighting.

DSC02118.jpg

Then the Main Street Electrical parade, though I like Spectromagic better it was still pretty. (My boyfriend and I have constant arguments over which one is better, you’d think he’d eventually give in and just tell me I’m right. XD )

And last but not least, The Magic, The Memories and You! and Holiday Wishes. Both were amazing, I loved the holiday theme added to The Magic, The Memories, and You! And Wishes was great as usual.

DSC02187.jpg

Again, I would have loved to stay out later, but I guess it was time to go back to the room? Well, that’s what we did, (I need a trip with my friends and/or boyfriend so I can stay out late in Disney!) Early to bed and early to rise I guess?

More soon!

PolynesianPrincess

Great TR so far!! Isn't Le Cellier the best?! We eat here every trip and every time it's awesome!! :)

I saw the Christmas parade and Holiday Wishes for the first time in November and really enjoyed it. I love anything Christmas themed!! :sohappy:

PartOfYourWorld

I'm in on this one! So how bad we're the crowds really? I know the parks closed to capacity one of the days you were there that must have been crazy!

I'm glad you tried out LeCellier too! It's my favorite restaurant ever I can just taste the filet mignon right now!

Can't wait to read the rest!

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
I hate the rain!!! Sounds like a good trip thus far! Can't wait to hear more!
I hate the rain too, but nothing can ruin Disney :ROFLOL:

LOVE your grandfathers shirt! And that's my favorite part of the christmas parade too!! :)
His shirt is great, we bought it online a few weeks before we left. We were going to surprise him with it when we got there, because he loves Mickey ear ice cream, but he couldn't wait and opened it at home. :lol:

Great TR so far!! Isn't Le Cellier the best?! We eat here every trip and every time it's awesome!! :)

I saw the Christmas parade and Holiday Wishes for the first time in November and really enjoyed it. I love anything Christmas themed!! :sohappy:
Le Cellier is my new favorite restaurant, it was soo good.

I'm in on this one! So how bad we're the crowds really? I know the parks closed to capacity one of the days you were there that must have been crazy!

I'm glad you tried out LeCellier too! It's my favorite restaurant ever I can just taste the filet mignon right now!

Can't wait to read the rest!
I thought the crowds were pretty bad, but still tolerable. I think the reason why the crowds seemed bad for us was because we only really had 3 full days there, so we really didn't have the time to spare waiting in line. If I had at least a week or 10 days there the crowds would have been much better. There was a couple of things that we just didn't get to do the way it worked out because of the crowds. We didn't get to ride Toy Story Mania, simply because the way our ADR's were (and trying to please 4 people) there was never a day to get to Hollywood Studios early, and that would have been our only chance to do it. While we were there, the wait was around 2 or 3 hours and the fastpasses were gone, so its something we'll have to do on the next trip. Another situation like this for us was Soarin, and Test Track we did once on that first day but didn't get a chance to do again for the same reason. The crowds slowed us down a little bit walking, and we had to stake out spots for parades/shows much earlier than were used to but it really wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. If we had more time to spend in WDW I would go that week again in a heartbeat, just because its the only time everyone is off from school and work, but I would definitely want to stay for more than five days.

:ROFLOL: I want the Mickey ice cream shirt, that's awesome.

And holy cow look at the crowds! I'd be going crazy trying to get through there.
They have the ice cream shirt online! The funny thing about the crowds was that we talked to a couple of other people there who go that week every year, and they told us that this year didn't feel as crowded as previous years... it felt pretty crowded to me.

jhoff3405

The picture of your grandparents is fantastic! They look so cute!

The crowds...yikes. I love your attitude in dealing with them, you seem so carefree!

Looking forward to more!

PartOfYourWorld

I thought the crowds were pretty bad, but still tolerable. I think the reason why the crowds seemed bad for us was because we only really had 3 full days there, so we really didn't have the time to spare waiting in line. If I had at least a week or 10 days there the crowds would have been much better. There was a couple of things that we just didn't get to do the way it worked out because of the crowds. We didn't get to ride Toy Story Mania, simply because the way our ADR's were (and trying to please 4 people) there was never a day to get to Hollywood Studios early, and that would have been our only chance to do it. While we were there, the wait was around 2 or 3 hours and the fastpasses were gone, so its something we'll have to do on the next trip. Another situation like this for us was Soarin, and Test Track we did once on that first day but didn't get a chance to do again for the same reason. The crowds slowed us down a little bit walking, and we had to stake out spots for parades/shows much earlier than were used to but it really wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. If we had more time to spend in WDW I would go that week again in a heartbeat, just because its the only time everyone is off from school and work, but I would definitely want to stay for more than five days.

I can imagine. I've never been during that week, so I was curious to hear about it.

Oh and I wanted to mention about Shades of Green as well, I've stayed there a few times since my uncle was in the Navy, and the bus system over there is definitely weird. I remember always having to go to the Transportation and Ticket Center for a bus to go anywhere, but I haven't stayed there since oh man I think it was 2005? but I remember I didn't like it very much because it didn't have that Disney feel like you mentioned, but the rooms were very nice.

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
I can imagine. I've never been during that week, so I was curious to hear about it.

Oh and I wanted to mention about Shades of Green as well, I've stayed there a few times since my uncle was in the Navy, and the bus system over there is definitely weird. I remember always having to go to the Transportation and Ticket Center for a bus to go anywhere, but I haven't stayed there since oh man I think it was 2005? but I remember I didn't like it very much because it didn't have that Disney feel like you mentioned, but the rooms were very nice.
Thats exactly how I feel about it. Its a really nice hotel, but it doesn't feel like Disney to me the way other hotels would. And I guess the buses have been like that for a while then? I thought that was strange since other non-monorail hotels have buses right to MK and Epcot.

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
The picture of your grandparents is fantastic! They look so cute!

The crowds...yikes. I love your attitude in dealing with them, you seem so carefree!

Looking forward to more!
Aww yes they are! :lol: and you have to just get over the crowds when theres that many people, otherwise you'd spend the whole time worrying about it lol.

enchanted_belle

Thats exactly how I feel about it. Its a really nice hotel, but it doesn't feel like Disney to me the way other hotels would. And I guess the buses have been like that for a while then? I thought that was strange since other non-monorail hotels have buses right to MK and Epcot.

I didn't really like Shades of Green when we stayed there (my dad's in the Air Guard)... the food was really bland, the transportation was weird, and, like we've said, no Disney feel. We gave up after the first day and started walking to Poly to take the monorail or their buses instead.

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
The next morning we were up early for our breakfast at the Grand Floridian Café. This is one of my favorite restaurants, though I think it may be slightly underrated. I had the French toast, the best I’ve ever had at a restaurant. And my grandma had the pancakes with citrus flavor and pecans on top, yum!

And since we were at the Grand Floridian early, we were also able to see the famous gingerbread house.

DSC02205.jpg

Today we were off the Animal Kingdom, our first stop being the safari of course.

DSC02235.jpg

It was strange being on the safari when it wasn’t extremely hot on, (since I’m used to going to WDW in June or July) but it was still nice. Giraffes and elephants are my favorites.

After the safari we spent some time walking around to see some of the animals that we don’t ordinarily spend the time to see in Animal Kingdom. My big peeve about going to WDW with my less Disney-obsessed family, is that they always want to do a couple of rides in Animal Kingdom and then leave, but I want to see the animals! So I finally got to see some of the animals. My goal next time is to see the tigers, I could only get them to go along with so much this trip I guess lol.

DSC02276.jpg

We rode Dinosaur next, another one of my favorite rides, but we completely skipped the rest of Dinoland. We also didn’t even go anywhere far into Asia on this trip simply because of time. None of us were planning on going on Expedition Everest, (I guess we’re all afraid of rollercoasters), and it was very cold for Kali River Rapids, so we didn’t even make it over there. Though I will say, that if we had more time I would still have loved to walk through Asia anyways.

Next we saw Finding Nemo: The Musical, for the first time, though that was one verryyy long line. We waited for one show, but didn’t make it in because the line was so long, so we ended up waiting for the next one. But this was expected, being that it was the busiest week of the year, and we really wanted to see this show.

DSC02299.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised with the show. I really wasn’t sure how Finding Nemo would be as a musical, since there really isn’t any songs in the movie, so everything would be new for the musical. But its now one of my favorite shows in WDW. I love the style of it with the puppeteers, and the costuming, and the music was really good too.

Time for lunch at Flame Tree Barbeque-- our first time here but it was a great place for ribs and fries in the middle of the day. We also met a great cast member here-- While we were carrying the food to find a table, my grandpa lost his footing for a second (he didn’t fall or anything, and he was ok, don’t worry!) but he did accidentally spill the drinks on his tray all over most of the food (and the ground). So we immediately put what was left of the food down on a table, and went to find a cast member to get the spill cleaned up so no one would slip. We met David, who made sure my grandpa was okay, and thanked us for telling him about the mess right away. Then he asked what we had for food and drinks that was lost and where we were sitting. A few minutes later, David came back with all of the food and drinks we’d lost. We were so surprised that he did that, as we assumed we’d have to get back in line and order some more food. He really turned what could have been a horrible situation into a much better one. He even came back after a few minutes to make sure the food we got was good. When we got back from this trip, my grandma and I emailed Meg Crofton about him, and a few days later we got a phone call (from someone working in her office) to let us know that he would “be commended for his service” and to thank us for taking the time to email them. I thought that was very nice of them to call us, instead of just sending out a generic email. (Also I have no idea how they got my phone number as we didn’t leave it in the email… would it be from our ADRs?)

Its Tough to be a Bug was next, not much to report here since this is something we’ve seen many times. It was great as always, except the stink bug, that smell just drives me insane.

DSC02302.jpg

Last but not least, Festival of the Lion King, another favorite. We were hoping to catch the parade at some point after the show, but this happened to be one of the days where they changed the parade to 15 minutes earlier. The way it worked out we would have made the last few minutes of it at least, but not since it was scheduled to be earlier that day. Oh well, another reason for me to have to go back during the holidays I guess. =]

DSC02319.jpg

After Festival of the Lion King was over, we left to make our way to Hollywood Studios, fighting this crowd:

DSC02322.jpg

We didn’t have time to do too much before our dinner reservation at 50’s Prime Time Café, so we got right in line for the Great Movie Ride (with a 30 min. wait, not bad at all considering the wait times that week). We all love this ride, and it worked out perfectly because it was exactly time to eat once we got off the ride.

This was our first time at 50’s Prime Time, and I loved it! I got a chocolate milkshake and the fried chicken (talk about calorie overload) but it was so worth it. I didn’t think the waitress we had was as crazy as I’ve heard they are from others, unless they’ve toned it down a bit. She seemed a little more into it with tables who had younger children, so maybe that was it, but it was fun nonetheless.

DSC02359.jpg

By the time we got out of the restaurant, Andrew and I got right in line for Star Tours, the first time we’d been on it since 2005. The new version was awesome, I really don’t understand Star Tours, but the ride was great and actually makes me want to watch the movies. (In case you’re wondering we waited 65 minutes for Star Tours-- fast passes were gone, and it was this or the 2-3 hour wait I’d previously mentioned for Toy Story Mania, since we wanted to do something we hadn’t done before).

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
After Star Tours we walked right over to see the Osbourne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights!

DSC02361.jpg

I literally could have stood there staring for hours. But we couldn’t because we spent the next almost 2 hours waiting for Fantasmic. The first show we waited for was full to capacity, so we had to wait until the next one. A CM near the entrance told us that the 10:00 PM show wouldn’t be full to capacity so we didn’t have to wait right there, so we started to walk away… but as soon as we did a mob of people showed up and formed a line for Fantasmic. Look at all these people (at 8:30ish) waiting for the 10:00 showing:

DSC02401.jpg

This is also when we talked to a couple of other families, who said that this Christmas week was not as busy as years past. This is the only Christmas week I’ve spent at WDW, and I can’t imagine it being anymore crowded than it was.

Time for Fantasmic!

DSC02422.jpg

DSC02438.jpg

I LOVE Fantasmic. A lot of people seem to think it needs an update, but I’ve only seen it a couple of times and I love it just how it is.

And now its time for bed… because that was the theme of this trip (herding out of the parks with the rest of the cattle). I would usually prefer to wait until the mobs of people clear out after a show like Fantasmic, but like I said we were back in the room after the fireworks each night. More motivation for me to get back to Hollywood Studios soon though because as you can see, we really didn’t get to do much. We went on the Great Movie Ride, ate dinner, rode Star Tours, saw the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights, and Fantasmic.

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
I didn't really like Shades of Green when we stayed there (my dad's in the Air Guard)... the food was really bland, the transportation was weird, and, like we've said, no Disney feel. We gave up after the first day and started walking to Poly to take the monorail or their buses instead.
I don't really know about the food because I remember not being so crazy about it when I was younger, so this past trip I basically tried to get everyone away from the idea of eating there (and it worked). I never ate at the buffet, and I remember the bar/grille being nothing special. Mangianos was good, but not anything better than the Italian food my mom could make at home for free. :lol: The main perk of Shades of Green is definitely the location for the price, but if I were paying for a trip (and could stay at SoG w/o my grandpa) I think I'd pick a moderate instead.

plaz10

I love that pic of your grandpa. So adorable.

Le Cellier - be still my beating heart. :lol: I just ADORE this place. Never disappoints.

Can't wait to read the rest!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom