Pre-Trip Our December 2016 BLT/ Dream 4-night Trip (& first time renting points)

Hi all!!! Welcome to the pre-trip thread of our next trip! We are myhappyplace (Amber, age 38 at time of trip), and my husband Mrhappyplace (David, age 46 at time of trip).

If you read our last trip report where we went on our first DCL cruise, you will recall that we booked our next trip while on board-we loved it that much! We have decided to add days on prior to the cruise, and possibly one on the end. We've never been during Christmastime, and I am so anxious to see the parks and resorts decorated for the season.

This is also our first trip renting points. We are using DVC Rental Store, our agent is Stephanie. So far the experience has been painless, and easy. I have never had a desire to stay at the Contemporary. I think I even remarked on that in my last report. But we simply could not pass up the proximity to MK and MK resorts, which will be where we spend the majority of our time looking at decorations. Now, I am actually looking forward to getting to stay at the BLT.

We hope to do a MVMCP on our arrival day if it is offered-December 1. If i am looking at past party dates correctly, it "should" be. We will be splitting one day between DHS and DAK., though we will probably do the majority of the day at AK because of Rivers of Light. Another day will be at Epcot. Then a full day for MK, plus the party. If we do indeed add the day at the end of our cruise, we will not go into a park, and just tour the resorts. As of now, we just have the stay prior to the cruise booked.

We won't be doing a dining plan, and just doing the majority of our meals at quick service. One exception is the morning of our full day in MK, we want to get an early breakfast at BOG. We really enjoyed it last year, and loved how early they let us in, which would be valuable decoration picture-taking time!!

OK, so tentative plans are as follows:

-Leave home late evening November 30th.
-December 1- arrival day at BLT, (hopefully) MVMCP
-December 2- Epcot
-December 3- DAK/DHS
-December 4- MK (with BOG breakfast)
-December 5 through 9- Disney Dream cruise
-December 9- possibly explore resorts, possibly AKL on rental points for one night. If not, head home.

Will update as we go along if and as things change!

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
DO IT!!! The extra day in the bubble before you had back is really nice. We've done it both ways and prefer the extra day of relaxation befor the trek home.

Oh we totally want to!! We've heard that AKL is one that you can wait to book and get the 0-7 month window rate, whereas we felt we needed to jump on the BLT rate. Though now our financial situation has changed, for the better, so we can probably book that right at 7 months. We also figure AKL is a good one to stay at since we aren't looking at going into any parks that day.

Thanks again for all your help and advice regarding dvc rentals, btw!

WDWDarling

Your trip report looks awesome! And being that close to MK?!? :inlove: My husband and I are planning our first Disney Cruise for May 2017 with a few days before in WDW just because I can't be that close and not go to the parks for at least a few days. Also, side note- I saw that you are from Winder and I have a lot of family in Winder as well. Small world :). Have fun planning the rest of your trip!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you!! I know, I will feel so spoiled by the proximity! ! The theming of the Contemporary hasn't ever appealed to me but maybe it being Christmas will improve my opinion. My favorite resort is the WL bit we weren't sure about the construction.

Thats exactly why we plan our trips that way...DH could just go on the cruise, but I need me some WDW time, cant give it up! You will love the cruise though!

No way! I have lived here for only almost 4 years so dont know many people but it is a cute little town.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Updates! Updates!

1. We ordered our 3 day park hoppers.

2. MVMCP is indeed being held on the date we arrive, which is exactly what I was hoping for, so we will be getting tickets to that when available.

3. I flipped 2 of the days, because the MVMCP is also being held on the day I had originally planned on for our MK day.

4. We talked and decided that we will probably do a few more planned meals than originally thought, and so we are working on getting our plan together before our 180 day mark, June 4.

So now our tentative schedule looks like this:

12/1: arrive around 8 or 9 am. Head to Epcot area resorts to look at Christmas decor, grab a bite to eat at one of the the Yacht Club lounges. Head back to our resort and rest (or, more likely, DH will rest and I will explore the resort), maybe swim if nice enough. MVMCP tonight.

12/2: breakfast at Captain Cooks, look around Poly and GF holiday decor, then head to Epcot for the day. Lunch at Rose & Crown, other meals and snacks at counter services.

12/3: breakfast at Be Our Guest, and MK day!! Toying with the idea of a late O'Hana dinner in the evening.

12/4: [still waiting to see if there will be, and if so, the details of any future dinner packages for Rivers of Light]. Right now, the plans are to head to DHS for a brief morning, then to AKL to see decorations, and maybe lunch at Sanaa (again this depends on if we will get to plan a dinner at AK as part of a show package), then head to AK for rest of day.

Following morning, breakfast at our resort, most likely, and then head to Port Canaveral for our cruise!!

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, today is our 180 day mark, and we had some successes and fails.

On our first full park day, December 2nd, we wanted a dinner-ideally an Illuminations dinner- at Rose & Crown. Nothing available at all- this being our first December trip, I completely forgot about Candlelight Processional, and so nothing is released yet.

December 3rd, our Magic Kingdom day. We originally wanted a pre-park opening BoG breakfast, but could only get a 9:45. If I can't nab an earlier time by trip time, we will cancel this. Our only reason for wanting this ADR is early park entry.

Same day- we wanted a 5:30/6 ish meal at Ohana, could only get a 3:30. Not ideal, but we will keep it unless I can get that time closer to our original plan.

Last park day, we were able to get our planned time- 1:30 Sanaa lunch.

So our schedule now stands as follows:

December 1- arrival day. Check in, visit Epcot area resorts to see Christmas decorations. Eat lunch at Yacht Club lounge. Swim at our resort, rest up. MVMCP tonight.

December 2- breakfast at Captain Cooks (Tonga toast!), then look around Poly & GF resort decorations, then head to Epcot. Hopefully can snag a Rose & Crown meal, but we don't need a CP package...

December 3- Magic Kingdom day. Hopefully will be able to change BoG breakfast ADR to pre-park opening, but not counting on it. Most likely will drop it. 3:30 dinner at Ohana.

December 4- EMH at DHS. Head to AKL for lunch at Sanaa. Then head to DAK for rest of afternoon/ evening.

Leave for cruise the following morning!

Last edited:

Mrhappyplace

DO IT!!! The extra day in the bubble before you head back is really nice. We've done it both ways and prefer the extra day of relaxation before the trek home.

I'm really leaning towards not doing the extra night on the way home. After nine days away from the house I'm ready to go home and check on my cats. But if we can get a good deal on points I'm open to it. And if that happens I'm thinking we will visit Disney Springs cause I really to try the Baked Alaska at The Boathouse and I'm interested in Moromoto Street Food.

lostpro9het

I'm really leaning towards not doing the extra night on the way home. After nine days away from the house I'm ready to go home and check on my cats. But if we can get a good deal on points I'm open to it.
I get wanting to get back for the cats, if we didn't have in-laws checking on ours I'd probably be in the same boat. There is a great FB group for members looking to unload points. I just scored 34 points there or $8/point for extra night during our June stay. I still say it's nice to decompress one day after getting off the boat before heading home.

Dory71

I get wanting to get back for the cats, if we didn't have in-laws checking on ours I'd probably be in the same boat. There is a great FB group for members looking to unload points. I just scored 34 points there or $8/point for extra night during our June stay. I still say it's nice to decompress one day after getting off the boat before heading home.
Would you share the name of the group?

Mrhappyplace

The last couple of months have been quite stressful and I've got to say I'm looking forward to this vacation more then I have ever looked forward to a vacation before.

We are looking to add a excursion to our Nassau day, last cruise we didn't leave the ship but this time having been on the ship once already and having a extra day I'm thinking we should explore a bit. Trying to decide between one of the Atlantis ones that include the waterpark or the Greycliff with the 3 course lunch. Seems kinda silly to pay for a nice meal while cruising with free nice meals but at $100 less for the two of us it seems like it could be a better value for the cost though I do want to check out Atlantis. Decisions, decisions.

Also have pretty much abandoned the one night at AKL after the cruise but are considering adding on a 2 day 1 night at Universal after the cruise. It's taken me four years to get DW to be open to combining visiting Universal with a WDW trip, instead of it requiring a separate trip to Orlando which I consider a big accomplishment.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hey, it's simple...I refuse to give up Disney Days for Universal. But doing it after the cruise would be fine because our Disney portion is done. Makes sense to me :p

And, we should mention....the trip is paid!!!!!!!!

But yes, anyone who has any insight into the excursions-chime in!

21stamps

I'm so glad I read this!!! Your trip looks wonderful and is very similar to mine.. But this will be our first time on DCL!! So excited!! We're doing AKL 11/24-11/36, no parks. 11/26-12/3 DCL Fantasy 12/3-12/7 Contemporary.

Cheers to Very Merrytime Cruises and MVMCP!!!

Regarding Universal- you should do it! I wish we could fit it in somehow. Grinchmas and the Macy's parade would be awesome.

Mrhappyplace

I'm so glad I read this!!! Your trip looks wonderful and is very similar to mine.. But this will be our first time on DCL!! So excited!! We're doing AKL 11/24-11/36, no parks. 11/26-12/3 DCL Fantasy 12/3-12/7 Contemporary.

Cheers to Very Merrytime Cruises and MVMCP!!!

Regarding Universal- you should do it! I wish we could fit it in somehow. Grinchmas and the Macy's parade would be awesome.

We have frequently talked about doing a night or two at AKL with no parks, just really exploring the lodge. Someday it will happen but it isn't looking like it will be this trip.

If we do do Universal it will likely be a last minute decision. Neither of us have ever been before and she is a big Harry Potter fan and me a big Marvel fan so we definitely need to see that park at some point as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom