Pre-Trip Our big family trip is nearly here

Hello friends
I’m back

How you doing?

I’ve been away a while but had to stop by to update everyone.

As most of you know we became AP in November during our trip - it was something I had only dreamed of but it happened.

256E3A92-993A-4515-9592-5653ED5B7AAF.jpeg

The main reason was I knew for sure I had another trip coming up - in 21 days to be exact and the cost of the AP worked out the same as tickets for both of those trips so I was no worse off - and there would always then be the chance of another trip!

Did it happen while I’ve been away?
Of course it did!

1CD5B097-D0CC-4AB1-8D00-3E1C6B14C86A.jpeg

We had a week off in March and decided to use the passes so we booked a flight, and a hotel offsite! Shock horror - I was offsite and not in my beloved POR but like Chris said - rather be in Florida with Disney everyday rather than at home in the UK with no Disney. Plus he thought this would break me in gently for the Aug trip in a villa.

Obviously there were quite a few BTMRR rides and plenty of ice cream!

73360702-86B3-4358-9491-0EE32B738602.jpeg

769B9FFE-74CD-4E66-B9D9-F811CD3C8BB0.jpeg

19C6EE41-62A3-4F16-AA28-8C262EF2A047.jpeg

I also got to do 2 meet and greets - the Nic and Judy picture was one I absolutely had to get

8DBF4F99-79F0-4D55-85EB-E8FA91FF4C9E.jpeg

7A6A59A1-329F-4D2B-A499-D0667D550774.jpeg

We also got to see F&G again as I loved it so much last year.

ADDD60B0-1C30-4FC9-A4F5-6E7B4F962C36.jpeg

AF90DCC1-60FE-4C47-8A18-17F97A27D9E6.jpeg

It was very strange staying offsite - it kind of felt like we didn’t go. I was suffering with a bad stomach for part of the trip too but we still had a great time

Sorry I digress.....

Now back to the upcoming trip which as been in the planning for year and was booked over a year and half ago.

For those of you who don’t know me - I’m Tracey, I am a Disney addict but I know I’m in good company on this site. I visit every year from the UK in November for my birthday. My husband Chris never wanted to go to Disney but once he did he loved it (well that’s what I keep telling him)

We’ve visited over 25 times I think now and have racked up early a year in Disney (most of it in POR)

We’re visiting in 21 days with my family - 9 of us in total - this could get interesting.......

My brother and wife who took a trip with us in 2016
My mum who last came to Disney with us in 1998 - this will be her 2nd trip - I wonder after 20 years what changes she will notice
My sister and her partner - my sister had a messy divorce and has saved so hard for this trip - it’s her first holiday in 14 years
And my 2 nephews aged 14 and 16 - A who is 16 had his last holiday abroad when he was 2 he spent the whole time Ill to the point my sister was thinking of flying him home, and N who has never had a holiday abroad so this will be his first time on a plane and abroad.

We have a villa in Tuscan Hills (myself and Chris drove to the gates in March just so we could see where it was). It’s about 30 min drive to Epcot - the issue is the road it comes out onto (I can’t remember the name) is full of traffic lights - let’s hope they are in our favour on the mornings!

We have 2 hire cars so if we do want to separate towards the end we have options

FP have started to be booked but we know we might have to be flexible as I’m not sure my nephews will love Disney as much as me - I have tried to train them over the years but we’ll see - N says his not meeting princesses! Not managed to get any SDD, FOP or 7DMT but I kind of expected that staying offsite. It I also haven’t got TOT and my nephews want to do It! I think with repairs on 1 elevator have reduced the number of FP - I will keep trying though.... I don’t give up

We also know it will be hot, we recently had record temperatures in the UK so that might have helped them know what it will be like - but I have cool towels, fans, cotton clothes, hats and they will all be hydrating. I’ve also put some breaks in where we can go out or stay in depending how people feel - I will probably be going out even if no one else does - gotta get that Disney fix!

The countdown is properly on now.....
This time in 3 weeks we’ll have just taken off.......

Minnesota disney fan

Good morning
Just a quick update on my mum.

She has the all clear to travel. ;)

I can’t remember what she has or what it’s called and it will cause her issues on our trip but she can go. - I think the only option to correct it is to operate but that’s a risky operation so one for further thought

Other than that it’s managed with drugs to try to elevate the pain.

The osteopath gave her some further details on the content of the scans and the doctor (who was next to useless and hadn’t even looked at them) - something that happens a lot in the UK! prescribed her some painkillers which she will start today to see if that helps.

She’s adjusted her travel insurance which is now over £350 for this trip to include cover and she started packing yesterday.

Her osteopath suggested getting a little stool so she can take regular sitting breaks and for any queues - I’m still not convinced standing in a queue and getting up and down every few minutes to shuffle forward will help.

I’ve not written off a wheelchair - just so we can get her around etc but I know we have options in all parks and we’d done the homework now so I feel better prepared. I might even get one of those passes from guest services (can’t remember what it’s called right now) but so that we can get a return time for rides rather than her queuing but we’ll see how things go.

We would never abuse the system and indeed my mum is very dependant and is already shocked at me even suggesting a wheelchair etc but it’s not just this trip I’m thinking of but her future after we get back to the UK.

My nephew dropped his clothes round last nigh - he is buzzing.
Although his 16 he is still a child (well young adult). I would have loved to take him a few years ago when he was a bit younger but better late than never and his still getting to Disney younger than I did on my first trip.

As for me......... I feel much better today - thanks for all your kind words.

I worked yesterday and then just sat in the quiet last night with no TV, iPad or anything
I have had a dizzy feeling for a few days - the best way to describe it it’s like being drunk (but I wasn’t) - it’s still there slightly today but it’s definitely better.

I think I just need to accept I can’t make them enjoy themselves, I can’t control the weather and I need to remember we’re all together - something we have never ever done and we’re doing it in my home - WDW

View attachment 398397

Oh My Gosh, Tracey, I feel for your worrying and concerns. I know how it is. We had a big family trip once, but it went okay. I had some of the same thoughts and concerns, but when we got to WDW, everyone was so happy and just glad to be there. It all worked out.
I know the weather is a concern, but it sounds like you have that covered. There's always air conditioning and the pool too:)
I hope your Mom does okay. I don't think disney will give her a DAS, because from what I understand, it is not issued if you have a problem standing or a mobility issue for whatever reason. They will recommend you get a wheelchair or ECV to use and to get around in the lines. At least, that is what I have heard and read on here. I think it's more if there is some anxiety type problem where it is impossible for someone to wait in line because of some of those issues. I hope this doesn't sound confusing? I thought of this for Roger's back problems a few years back, but we were told to get a wheelchair, etc so he could go through the lines.
The CM's are great with people who are using wheelchairs and ECV's. They make it easy to navigate to attractions, etc.
I know it doesn't help to say, don't worry, because you can't help to when you organize a whole trip for alot of people. But just know that it will all work out, and you will be at DISNEY:) Have a great time:)

PacNWTigger

I found this on Amazon...it doubles as a cane for when she doesn't need to take a seat. I work with the disabled and elderly community, and have seen a few of these come through our doors.
It might be a bit awkward, but it might offer her that little bit of support she wants/needs.

Oh bother!

Good morning
Just a quick update on my mum.

She has the all clear to travel. ;)

I can’t remember what she has or what it’s called and it will cause her issues on our trip but she can go. - I think the only option to correct it is to operate but that’s a risky operation so one for further thought

Other than that it’s managed with drugs to try to elevate the pain.

The osteopath gave her some further details on the content of the scans and the doctor (who was next to useless and hadn’t even looked at them) - something that happens a lot in the UK! prescribed her some painkillers which she will start today to see if that helps.

She’s adjusted her travel insurance which is now over £350 for this trip to include cover and she started packing yesterday.

Her osteopath suggested getting a little stool so she can take regular sitting breaks and for any queues - I’m still not convinced standing in a queue and getting up and down every few minutes to shuffle forward will help.

I’ve not written off a wheelchair - just so we can get her around etc but I know we have options in all parks and we’d done the homework now so I feel better prepared. I might even get one of those passes from guest services (can’t remember what it’s called right now) but so that we can get a return time for rides rather than her queuing but we’ll see how things go.

We would never abuse the system and indeed my mum is very dependant and is already shocked at me even suggesting a wheelchair etc but it’s not just this trip I’m thinking of but her future after we get back to the UK.

My nephew dropped his clothes round last nigh - he is buzzing.
Although his 16 he is still a child (well young adult). I would have loved to take him a few years ago when he was a bit younger but better late than never and his still getting to Disney younger than I did on my first trip.

As for me......... I feel much better today - thanks for all your kind words.

I worked yesterday and then just sat in the quiet last night with no TV, iPad or anything
I have had a dizzy feeling for a few days - the best way to describe it it’s like being drunk (but I wasn’t) - it’s still there slightly today but it’s definitely better.

I think I just need to accept I can’t make them enjoy themselves, I can’t control the weather and I need to remember we’re all together - something we have never ever done and we’re doing it in my home - WDW

View attachment 398397
We got a DAS pass for a friend of mine with mobility/standing issues when we visited Disneyland in March and it certainly made her a lot more comfortable!

Definitely worth speaking to guest services and explaining why standing in line would cause and issue, you need to explain “symptoms”/effect rather than share the actual medical issues.

Hope they can help you!

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
We have used Buena Vista and Randy's Rentals for scooters, and both were great! Both will drop off and pick up at your villa. They break down into 3 pieces so they can easily be loaded into a car. Disney parks are deceptive. You would not realize how many hills there are until you are pushing someone in a wheelchair. I would highly suggest renting a scooter versus pushing a wheelchair. I have pushed a family member in a wheelchair on a cool day and I can't imagine doing it in the heat. Epcot is by far the worst.

Mchugs7

Where are you from?
Also you may be able to help - I’ve just seeen something about college football - I’m guessing that might be a big thing? They are recording from MK on 24th up to lunch time so I’m guessing the crowds may be more and our plans might switch - or maybe the crowds will leave? Any thoughts?
Have a great time

We are from Illinois. I hadn't heard about the football thing that day, so I just Googled it. It's a live broadcast pre-game TV commentary show that is scheduled to broadcast until noon. I'd like to think that whatever crowds were there to see that will have dissipated to a "normal" level by the late afternoon/early evening (but perhaps that's just wishful thinking).

Katiekitten

If it makes you feel any better about the weather Tracey, I am from the UK and have been in Disney for the last two weeks of August and the last week of August and first week of September and the heat was manageable, especially compared to July!! On those two trips we just made sure to drink lots and took breaks by the pool and inside as and when we felt necessary.

Longers

Original Poster
Oh My Gosh, Tracey, I feel for your worrying and concerns. I know how it is. We had a big family trip once, but it went okay. I had some of the same thoughts and concerns, but when we got to WDW, everyone was so happy and just glad to be there. It all worked out.
I know the weather is a concern, but it sounds like you have that covered. There's always air conditioning and the pool too:)
I hope your Mom does okay. I don't think disney will give her a DAS, because from what I understand, it is not issued if you have a problem standing or a mobility issue for whatever reason. They will recommend you get a wheelchair or ECV to use and to get around in the lines. At least, that is what I have heard and read on here. I think it's more if there is some anxiety type problem where it is impossible for someone to wait in line because of some of those issues. I hope this doesn't sound confusing? I thought of this for Roger's back problems a few years back, but we were told to get a wheelchair, etc so he could go through the lines.
The CM's are great with people who are using wheelchairs and ECV's. They make it easy to navigate to attractions, etc.
I know it doesn't help to say, don't worry, because you can't help to when you organize a whole trip for alot of people. But just know that it will all work out, and you will be at DISNEY:) Have a great time:)
Hi Ruth
Good to hear from you - and yes I understand what you were saying around the wheelchair etc.
I’m sure once I get to day 1 and we are all together in the Magic Kingdom I will be fine.
I’ll be in touch when I get back!

Longers

Original Poster
I found this on Amazon...it doubles as a cane for when she doesn't need to take a seat. I work with the disabled and elderly community, and have seen a few of these come through our doors.
It might be a bit awkward, but it might offer her that little bit of support she wants/needs.

Great suggestion I’ve sent to her but I am battling a bit with her. I totally understand why as we are not quitters and don’t like to put others out.
I think we’ll see how things go - she may not have a choice if things get bad.

We got a DAS pass for a friend of mine with mobility/standing issues when we visited Disneyland in March and it certainly made her a lot more comfortable!

Definitely worth speaking to guest services and explaining why standing in line would cause and issue, you need to explain “symptoms”/effect rather than share the actual medical issues.

Hope they can help you!

We’ll certainly stop by for help should she need it thank you

We have used Buena Vista and Randy's Rentals for scooters, and both were great! Both will drop off and pick up at your villa. They break down into 3 pieces so they can easily be loaded into a car. Disney parks are deceptive. You would not realize how many hills there are until you are pushing someone in a wheelchair. I would highly suggest renting a scooter versus pushing a wheelchair. I have pushed a family member in a wheelchair on a cool day and I can't imagine doing it in the heat. Epcot is by far the worst.

Thanks for the advice and for the suggestions on the scooters - much appreciated.

We are from Illinois. I hadn't heard about the football thing that day, so I just Googled it. It's a live broadcast pre-game TV commentary show that is scheduled to broadcast until noon. I'd like to think that whatever crowds were there to see that will have dissipated to a "normal" level by the late afternoon/early evening (but perhaps that's just wishful thinking).

Let’s hope the crowds will disappear by the afternoon.

If it makes you feel any better about the weather Tracey, I am from the UK and have been in Disney for the last two weeks of August and the last week of August and first week of September and the heat was manageable, especially compared to July!! On those two trips we just made sure to drink lots and took breaks by the pool and inside as and when we felt necessary.
That makes me feel much better thank you - I would still rather have heat rather than rain

Zipadeelady

@Longers, I hate that worried feeling. It just seems to consume you and it's hard to stop. I do know that when I get worried and anxious I realize it was all for nothing and everything almost always works out and usually better than I had hoped. I say order the wheel chair and tell Mum she can ride in it, push it or ignore it. Look at it this way, someone will get tired so it will get used by Mum or someone else :happy:. Your nephews are going to love it!! They'll see your love for it and it will be catching, plus feed them lots of ice cream!

Last edited:

epcotisbest

I hate that worried feeling. It just seems to consume you and it's hard to stop. I do know that when I get worried and anxious I realize it was all for nothing and everything almost always works out and usually better than I had hoped. I say order the wheel chair and tell Mum she can ride in it, push it or ignore it. Look at it this way, someone will get tired so it will get used by Mum or someone else :happy:. Your nephews are going to love it!! They'll see your love for it and it will be catching, plus feed them lots of ice cream!

I agree, worrying is the worst. It can consume you and take away the happiness and, like you said, often it is all for nothing.
Here is an unrelated example, but this just happened to me and it happens every time. I hate going to the dentist, just a lifelong, irrational event for me. I worry about it, fret over it, lose sleep the night before, and then when there am so tense and grip the chair so tightly I can hardly turn loose after and hands are cramping I gripped so hard, and then it turns out the dread, worry and tension was worse than the actual event, and usually by a lot. Anyway, probably a silly example but same point, as you said, "everything almost always works out and usually better than I had hoped."

Zipadeelady

I agree, worrying is the worst. It can consume you and take away the happiness and, like you said, often it is all for nothing.
Here is an unrelated example, but this just happened to me and it happens every time. I hate going to the dentist, just a lifelong, irrational event for me. I worry about it, fret over it, lose sleep the night before, and then when there am so tense and grip the chair so tightly I can hardly turn loose after and hands are cramping I gripped so hard, and then it turns out the dread, worry and tension was worse than the actual event, and usually by a lot. Anyway, probably a silly example but same point, as you said, "everything almost always works out and usually better than I had hoped."
Not silly at all, we all have worries and things we are dealing with.

MerMom1981

Oh Tracey! I feel for you SO MUCH!
I was in your position for a large family trip a few years ago, including concerns for my mother-in-law's health and ability to travel.
So glad to hear that your mom is able to travel, and praying for healing and relief for her!

When you take on the task of planning a vacation for a group, it's difficult not to feel a level of responsibility for their happiness. I get it.
You have done a tremendous thing for them! Not many people are fortunate enough to have a Disney expert plan their itinerary! I'm sure your family appreciates your efforts, and that they are just as eager as you to celebrate the time you have together!

I also get anxious when I travel.
Anxiety is a thief of joy. When worry creeps in, just remind yourself that you have made your plans, and done all that you can to prepare. Now all there is left to do is let your plans unfold. Should a problem arise, you are equipped to handle it. ☺️

Longers

Original Poster
@Longers, I hate that worried feeling. It just seems to consume you and it's hard to stop. I do know that when I get worried and anxious I realize it was all for nothing and everything almost always works out and usually better than I had hoped. I say order the wheel chair and tell Mum she can ride in it, push it or ignore it. Look at it this way, someone will get tired so it will get used by Mum or someone else :happy:. Your nephews are going to love it!! They'll see your love for it and it will be catching, plus feed them lots of ice cream!

Thank you - I thought I was chilled but I obviously wasn’t - I’ve done all I can now and I keep telling myself they know no different anyway. I’m sure I will all work out.

Have a wonderful trip, hoping that all of your family do too. Let us know how many States you many you get ticked off over the visit. Safe travelsthere and back from the UK.

I sure will thank you

Oh Tracey! I feel for you SO MUCH!
I was in your position for a large family trip a few years ago, including concerns for my mother-in-law's health and ability to travel.
So glad to hear that your mom is able to travel, and praying for healing and relief for her!

When you take on the task of planning a vacation for a group, it's difficult not to feel a level of responsibility for their happiness. I get it.
You have done a tremendous thing for them! Not many people are fortunate enough to have a Disney expert plan their itinerary! I'm sure your family appreciates your efforts, and that they are just as eager as you to celebrate the time you have together!

I also get anxious when I travel.
Anxiety is a thief of joy. When worry creeps in, just remind yourself that you have made your plans, and done all that you can to prepare. Now all there is left to do is let your plans unfold. Should a problem arise, you are equipped to handle it. ☺

You’re right they have a Disney expert with them - people charge for that!

I’m just going to enjoy the time we have together - we have not been on holiday all together since we were children so this is special.

And if they get fed up with Disney myself and Chris will venture out alone!

Longers

Original Poster
Good news I got some shorts this morning
Only 1 pair but it’s better than nothing

Also spotted this and couldn’t leave it behind.

A beach towel for the villa and only £3 in Primark (in the Sale)

B38CE55D-91CD-4C91-9FAD-2B532C3F4EC3.jpeg

My youngest nephew has a list of shops he wants to visit!
Walmart, dunking donuts, 7 eleven to name a few. He says he wants to do the typical American shops. Gotta love him.

We’re now packing :)

We head to the airport tomorrow afternoon for an overnight stay at the airport my oldest nephew will be with us as he lives with his dad near to our house

The rest of the family will be travelling to the airport Monday morning.

It’s funny it never feels real but it feels even less real this time. Just think in a few days time I will be in my absolute happy place.

Whatever happens now happens - I will make it as special as I can but they have to make their own memories and I am sure they will.

DisneyGigi

Good news I got some shorts this morning
Only 1 pair but it’s better than nothing

Also spotted this and couldn’t leave it behind.

A beach towel for the villa and only £3 in Primark (in the Sale)

View attachment 398920

My youngest nephew has a list of shops he wants to visit!
Walmart, dunking donuts, 7 eleven to name a few. He says he wants to do the typical American shops. Gotta love him.

We’re now packing :)

We head to the airport tomorrow afternoon for an overnight stay at the airport my oldest nephew will be with us as he lives with his dad near to our house

The rest of the family will be travelling to the airport Monday morning.

It’s funny it never feels real but it feels even less real this time. Just think in a few days time I will be in my absolute happy place.

Whatever happens now happens - I will make it as special as I can but they have to make their own memories and I am sure they will.
Have a safe trip over. I am sure everybody will have a wonderful time. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom