Pre-Trip Our big family trip is nearly here

Hello friends
I’m back

How you doing?

I’ve been away a while but had to stop by to update everyone.

As most of you know we became AP in November during our trip - it was something I had only dreamed of but it happened.

256E3A92-993A-4515-9592-5653ED5B7AAF.jpeg

The main reason was I knew for sure I had another trip coming up - in 21 days to be exact and the cost of the AP worked out the same as tickets for both of those trips so I was no worse off - and there would always then be the chance of another trip!

Did it happen while I’ve been away?
Of course it did!

1CD5B097-D0CC-4AB1-8D00-3E1C6B14C86A.jpeg

We had a week off in March and decided to use the passes so we booked a flight, and a hotel offsite! Shock horror - I was offsite and not in my beloved POR but like Chris said - rather be in Florida with Disney everyday rather than at home in the UK with no Disney. Plus he thought this would break me in gently for the Aug trip in a villa.

Obviously there were quite a few BTMRR rides and plenty of ice cream!

73360702-86B3-4358-9491-0EE32B738602.jpeg

769B9FFE-74CD-4E66-B9D9-F811CD3C8BB0.jpeg

19C6EE41-62A3-4F16-AA28-8C262EF2A047.jpeg

I also got to do 2 meet and greets - the Nic and Judy picture was one I absolutely had to get

8DBF4F99-79F0-4D55-85EB-E8FA91FF4C9E.jpeg

7A6A59A1-329F-4D2B-A499-D0667D550774.jpeg

We also got to see F&G again as I loved it so much last year.

ADDD60B0-1C30-4FC9-A4F5-6E7B4F962C36.jpeg

AF90DCC1-60FE-4C47-8A18-17F97A27D9E6.jpeg

It was very strange staying offsite - it kind of felt like we didn’t go. I was suffering with a bad stomach for part of the trip too but we still had a great time

Sorry I digress.....

Now back to the upcoming trip which as been in the planning for year and was booked over a year and half ago.

For those of you who don’t know me - I’m Tracey, I am a Disney addict but I know I’m in good company on this site. I visit every year from the UK in November for my birthday. My husband Chris never wanted to go to Disney but once he did he loved it (well that’s what I keep telling him)

We’ve visited over 25 times I think now and have racked up early a year in Disney (most of it in POR)

We’re visiting in 21 days with my family - 9 of us in total - this could get interesting.......

My brother and wife who took a trip with us in 2016
My mum who last came to Disney with us in 1998 - this will be her 2nd trip - I wonder after 20 years what changes she will notice
My sister and her partner - my sister had a messy divorce and has saved so hard for this trip - it’s her first holiday in 14 years
And my 2 nephews aged 14 and 16 - A who is 16 had his last holiday abroad when he was 2 he spent the whole time Ill to the point my sister was thinking of flying him home, and N who has never had a holiday abroad so this will be his first time on a plane and abroad.

We have a villa in Tuscan Hills (myself and Chris drove to the gates in March just so we could see where it was). It’s about 30 min drive to Epcot - the issue is the road it comes out onto (I can’t remember the name) is full of traffic lights - let’s hope they are in our favour on the mornings!

We have 2 hire cars so if we do want to separate towards the end we have options

FP have started to be booked but we know we might have to be flexible as I’m not sure my nephews will love Disney as much as me - I have tried to train them over the years but we’ll see - N says his not meeting princesses! Not managed to get any SDD, FOP or 7DMT but I kind of expected that staying offsite. It I also haven’t got TOT and my nephews want to do It! I think with repairs on 1 elevator have reduced the number of FP - I will keep trying though.... I don’t give up

We also know it will be hot, we recently had record temperatures in the UK so that might have helped them know what it will be like - but I have cool towels, fans, cotton clothes, hats and they will all be hydrating. I’ve also put some breaks in where we can go out or stay in depending how people feel - I will probably be going out even if no one else does - gotta get that Disney fix!

The countdown is properly on now.....
This time in 3 weeks we’ll have just taken off.......

Rista1313

Sorry it appears I’m not as good at pre trip reports as I am as TR’s (I’m not saying those are good either but at least I update them regularly!)

We are 5 days away (including today) from being at the airport but I’m not my usual bubbly self :(

All my packing is out but it’s been more of a challenge as I’m trying to consider the heat
I went shopping at the weekend but returned empty handed.
I will try again this weekend (fingers crossed) I need some shorts and cool tops but winter stuff has started to appear in the shops now..

Normally I have a pile of Disney clothes that come out every time I go to Disney - I am just concerned I need some other bits this year due to the heat/rain - it’s causing me a headache.

Also my mum has been poorly for a few months - she’s normally really active but has been suffering with a bad back to the degree where she usually walks miles and she hasn’t been out. When this holiday was booked we all joked she was fitter than any of us but that is no longer the case.
She paid for private scans which show some problems.
She has an osteopath appointment and a doctors appointment today so we’ll know more later

I’ve looked up wheelchair hire and the cost to buy one as we have serious concerns on how she will get around. We’ve found an outside Disney company that looks ok and we have one in the family we might look at to see if we could take it should it be needed.

I also think I’m piling the pressure on myself as I feel sick about it all

My mind is racing - how about if someone gets sick, how about if my mum can’t go, how about if they don’t like it!

My sister has spent so much I don’t want it ruined for her, or for her not to have a good time.

I know none of this is my responsibility - they need to make their own fun etc but it’s all getting to me

I’m sure after today when mum gets the all clear and we know what provisions we need to make for her (fingers crossed) and once my nephew comes to me tonight with his packing - and his excitement I might feel better but right now i don’t have that pixie dust anywhere near me

What is happening to me?

Sorry to put a downer on anyone’s day I don’t mean to I just think i need to talk (so to speak) as I bottle all these feeling up.
Forgive me........

oh Sweetie... you are carrying the weight of the whole trip on your shoulders... it'll be ok!

Tiggertoo56

All will be fine! Its just such a different trip than you are used to planning too,and with the added issue of your mom. I hope she gets the all clear today.
Rather than hire chair for the whole time you can just hire one daily (and may be buy a weekly ticket) for the disney parks. We did it last autumn when one of our party who suffered with severe back problems, has had an operation, and was ok when we got there began to suffer. She used a complimentary chair from the bus stops to the park entrance (AK, MK & HS) and hired one inside as she began to have issues walking. We were then able to use specific seating but only when if we needed to.
I'm sure you will have a brilliant time as always but in a different way, and I'm so looking forward to the TR when you are able to get to it.

Last edited:

Gurt

Firstly I hope your mum has good news from her appointment. It's easy to sit here and say but stop worrying so much I am sure your family will have a great time, yes it will be hot and yes there will be rain showers just make sure you things that involve a rest in the AC when the sun is too hot and remember it doesn't rain in the bar (obvs not when driving lol)

Mchugs7

Here’s a quick summary of what our plans might look like - obviously we will need to be flexible depending on how people are feeling, heat, rain etc.

Monday 19th travel day - no plans when we arrive apart from shopping for breakfast and sleeping

20th Aug - Magic Kingdom - I have Buzz, HM and obviously BTMRR FP (well I was never not going on BTMRR was I!) we’ll stay out as long as people want or we’ll head back to the villa
Chris and I have SWGE preview from 3-7pm so if we can get over to HS then we will - I think others will head back to the villa for a few hours so myself and Chris will sneak out - the plans for this night we’re either Epcot or Hs fireworks or they can all Have an early night - we’re going to play it by ear

21st Aug - Aminal Kingdom - Everest, Safari and Navi FP - again stay out or head back - the MK fireworks if we can

22nd Aug - shopping morning - hopefully not for long but it appears to be something they all want to do. With the dollar rate at 1.2 I’m guessing there won’t be that many bargains. We’ll head to HS in the afternoon - Star tours, RNRC and TSMM FP

23rd - Universal day
I have FP for Epcot from 5.40 if anyone is up for a visit (TT, Mission Space and SE)

24th -free morning for water park or airboat ride or Epcot - their choice
FP from 2pm in MK - if they want to stay for fireworks we will.

25th - Kennedy - this is somewhere both boys want to go
I’ve booked AK FP as that’s nearest to the villa - they start at 5.40 so it will depend if we’re back or if people want to go (otherwise we’ll cancel them) - Dinosaur, Everest, ROL

26th - free morning again for water park, airboat or anything else Epcot FP from 5-20 LWTL, MS, FEA - illuminations

27th - AK am - try to queue FOP if we haven’t done it (FP Everest, Safari, dinosaur) then a free afternoon - might head over to Hs in case there are any soft openings for SWGE

28th - MK morning - FP PoTC, Buzz, BTMRR - stay all day or free afternoon

29th - Universal day - EP FP from 5pm - even though it’s the first day of F&W - but a chance to ale my 1st visit for those coasters

30th HS morning - finally got a TOT FP but only for 3, the nephews really want to do TOt so I’m glad I could get them 1 - they just need 1 adult to go with them! The rest of the FP for this day are split
Get into SWGE if we can!
We’ll be done with FP by lunch so they can stay or leave (myself and Chris need to get to EP for our day 2 entry!)

31st - MK FP AM - free afternoon
Myself and Chris need to get to EP for our day 3 entry and also want to pop into AK for a Simba magnet!

1st sept - drop bags at Disney Springs - Irvin Atlantic have a drop off So they take the bags to the airport for you.
Then EP FP AM and hopefully pick up some coaster!
Flight back to the Uk is 5.35 so I guess we’ll be leaving the parks shortly after lunch

As I say it’s all pretty flexible with free time built in - who knows if any of this will happen but if you don’t have a plan nothing will happen!

We'll be in MK the afternoon/evening of the 24th...We'll have to keep an eye out for you guys so you can "collect" our state.!

MickeyCB

Oh my.....
We arrive on 19th early evening and on our first day (20th) we are doing MK And then are headed to HS for our preview
21sr we have Animal Kingdom FP and we’re hoping to get to MK for the fireworks so it doesn’t look like it - such a shame - I’ll still be on the lookout though in case anyth8ng changes in our plans
:(
Bummer, we are in on the 18th, with 19th our SWGE preview! AK evening of the 20th! I started (my first ever) pre trip report with the itinerary.
We're from Pennsylvania, and would have loved to give your nephew one state to check off!

Sillysidewalker

First I am sending good thoughts your way for your mom’s health. 2nd good or bad vacations are always still the best memories and stories. It’s not about where or what it’s about who. Your family will be together and the trip will be one you talk about for years to come.

Longers

Original Poster
Breathe in, breathe out and tell yourself it’ll all work out. Your excitement always shows thru your postings, so I am certain that your nephews and sisters will feel that too and won’t be able to have anything but a great time on your trip 😃

Fingers crossed for your mum’s appointment. 🤞

Thank you I really appreciate your kind words

oh Sweetie... you are carrying the weight of the whole trip on your shoulders... it'll be ok!

I really hope so

All will be fine! Its just such a different trip than you are used to planning too,and with the added issue of your mom. I hope she gets the all clear today.
Rather than hire chair for the whole time you can just hire one daily (and may be buy a weekly ticket) for the disney parks. We did it last autumn when one of our party who suffered with severe back problems, has had an operation, and was ok when we got there began to suffer. She used a complimentary chair from the bus stops to the park entrance (AK, MK & HS) and hired one inside as she began to have issues walking. We were then able to use specific seating but only when if we needed to.
I'm sure you will have a brilliant time as always but in a different way, and I'm so looking forward to the TR when you are able to get to it.

Thank you - and for giving some further advice on the wheelchair.
As I’ve said before this will be such a different trip.

Firstly I hope your mum has good news from her appointment. It's easy to sit here and say but stop worrying so much I am sure your family will have a great time, yes it will be hot and yes there will be rain showers just make sure you things that involve a rest in the AC when the sun is too hot and remember it doesn't rain in the bar (obvs not when driving lol)

Thank you and your right about the bars!

I'm sure everyone will have a great time & will appreciate all the effort you're putting into this.
Fingers crossed & prayers for your mom. I hope everything goes well.
No need to ask for forgiveness....talk anytime you want!!

That’s why I came on here - you’ve all been so nice :D

We'll be in MK the afternoon/evening of the 24th...We'll have to keep an eye out for you guys so you can "collect" our state.!

Where are you from?
Also you may be able to help - I’ve just seeen something about college football - I’m guessing that might be a big thing? They are recording from MK on 24th up to lunch time so I’m guessing the crowds may be more and our plans might switch - or maybe the crowds will leave? Any thoughts?
Have a great time

Bummer, we are in on the 18th, with 19th our SWGE preview! AK evening of the 20th! I started (my first ever) pre trip report with the itinerary.
We're from Pennsylvania, and would have loved to give your nephew one state to check off!

At least you managed a SWGE preview that’s great news. I’ve realised PTR might not be my thing but after writing in my November TR I decided I’d remind everyone I was going.
And our plans might be changed anyway so there’s still a chance for us to give us a state to tick off.
Have a fab time

First I am sending good thoughts your way for your mom’s health. 2nd good or bad vacations are always still the best memories and stories. It’s not about where or what it’s about who. Your family will be together and the trip will be one you talk about for years to come.
So well said - thank you - they know no different anyway so I’m sure they’ll make their own memories and we’ll all make loads together.

Last edited:

Longers

Original Poster
Good morning
Just a quick update on my mum.

She has the all clear to travel. ;)

I can’t remember what she has or what it’s called and it will cause her issues on our trip but she can go. - I think the only option to correct it is to operate but that’s a risky operation so one for further thought

Other than that it’s managed with drugs to try to elevate the pain.

The osteopath gave her some further details on the content of the scans and the doctor (who was next to useless and hadn’t even looked at them) - something that happens a lot in the UK! prescribed her some painkillers which she will start today to see if that helps.

She’s adjusted her travel insurance which is now over £350 for this trip to include cover and she started packing yesterday.

Her osteopath suggested getting a little stool so she can take regular sitting breaks and for any queues - I’m still not convinced standing in a queue and getting up and down every few minutes to shuffle forward will help.

I’ve not written off a wheelchair - just so we can get her around etc but I know we have options in all parks and we’d done the homework now so I feel better prepared. I might even get one of those passes from guest services (can’t remember what it’s called right now) but so that we can get a return time for rides rather than her queuing but we’ll see how things go.

We would never abuse the system and indeed my mum is very dependant and is already shocked at me even suggesting a wheelchair etc but it’s not just this trip I’m thinking of but her future after we get back to the UK.

My nephew dropped his clothes round last nigh - he is buzzing.
Although his 16 he is still a child (well young adult). I would have loved to take him a few years ago when he was a bit younger but better late than never and his still getting to Disney younger than I did on my first trip.

As for me......... I feel much better today - thanks for all your kind words.

I worked yesterday and then just sat in the quiet last night with no TV, iPad or anything
I have had a dizzy feeling for a few days - the best way to describe it it’s like being drunk (but I wasn’t) - it’s still there slightly today but it’s definitely better.

I think I just need to accept I can’t make them enjoy themselves, I can’t control the weather and I need to remember we’re all together - something we have never ever done and we’re doing it in my home - WDW

2855F69B-7019-400E-BA03-5AEDD70AB7E3.png

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I’m not sure that you’d be allowed to bring a stool into the parks. I think you should just get the wheelchair for your mum - if she’s feeling ok, I’m sure you could park it in the stroller parking areas, and if she needs it, you’d have it nearby.

Can’t wait to hear about how fantastic the trip turns out to be 😀

Tiggertoo56

So glad to hear that your mom is able to travel with you. My thoughts will be with you whole you are away knowing that you will have an incredible time with your family. Remember that WDW is for families and a magical place. Could you get a fold up seat to carry with you for our mom. A DAS pass may be a good idea too.
Enjoy the 🍨🥤🍾🥤🍩🎢🎠🎡🚂🚄 while you are there.

Longers

Original Poster
I’m not sure that you’d be allowed to bring a stool into the parks. I think you should just get the wheelchair for your mum - if she’s feeling ok, I’m sure you could park it in the stroller parking areas, and if she needs it, you’d have it nearby.

Can’t wait to hear about how fantastic the trip turns out to be 😀

It will be a fold up kind of chair I think but I agree the wheelchair is a better option - I just have to make her swallow her pride first!

So glad to hear that your mom is able to travel with you. My thoughts will be with you whole you are away knowing that you will have an incredible time with your family. Remember that WDW is for families and a magical place. Could you get a fold up seat to carry with you for our mom. A DAS pass may be a good idea too.
Enjoy the 🍨🥤🍾🥤🍩🎢🎠🎡🚂🚄 while you are there.

That’s the name of the pass I was talking about (DAS) - I think I’ll enquire so we have options.
I think what she was thinking of getting is a kind of fold up stool - we’ll see over the next few days and I guess the first few days of our trip how she gets on.
One things for sure BTMRR and ice cream is calling my name (I’m just hoping the ice cream doesn’t melt too quickly)
It’s so strange going on holiday in August I’ve never ever gone at this time - it feels quite unreal.
But it’s real close now......

Rista1313

I might even get one of those passes from guest services (can’t remember what it’s called right now) but so that we can get a return time for rides rather than her queuing but we’ll see how things go.

Unfortunately they don't give out DAS passes for immobilization reasons. They will suggest to you a wheelchair or a scooter. DAS pass is for people who cannot be in line, like someone with PTSD, kids with Autism, clausterfobism, etc. I know it's pricey, but if you trust her to drive, why not a scooter so someone doesn't have to push her the whole trip? I would suggest renting one from someone outside the parks because the park ones aren't that great, and they do sell out.

PS. I don't think they will allow you to bring a foldable stool into the parks either.

I'm just a ray of sunshine with my sad information, I'm sorry!

Longers

Original Poster
You'll get to see the fall decorations at MK. They are my absolute favorite!! E & I both like them more than the Christmas decorations.
I'm glad your mom is cleared to go. I'm sure you'll all have a wonderful time!! I'm excited for all of you!!

Yes looking forward to seeing those!
Enjoy your trip too

Unfortunately they don't give out DAS passes for immobilization reasons. They will suggest to you a wheelchair or a scooter. DAS pass is for people who cannot be in line, like someone with PTSD, kids with Autism, clausterfobism, etc. I know it's pricey, but if you trust her to drive, why not a scooter so someone doesn't have to push her the whole trip? I would suggest renting one from someone outside the parks because the park ones aren't that great, and they do sell out.

PS. I don't think they will allow you to bring a foldable stool into the parks either.

I'm just a ray of sunshine with my sad information, I'm sorry!

Don’t worry I would rather know now as it saves embarrassment and luggage issues this end - she was telling me the stool would be foldable but maybe we’ll just stick to the wheelchair if she needs it.
And she is fine driving I just didn’t want one of those big electric things - I was hoping for a fold up wheelchair. I guess we’ll see how the first few days go and take every day as it comes. I have a few details for companies outside the parks I just need to check reviews etc to make sure there no hidden costs etc

Thank you

Rista1313

Yes looking forward to seeing those!
Enjoy your trip too

Don’t worry I would rather know now as it saves embarrassment and luggage issues this end - she was telling me the stool would be foldable but maybe we’ll just stick to the wheelchair if she needs it.
And she is fine driving I just didn’t want one of those big electric things - I was hoping for a fold up wheelchair. I guess we’ll see how the first few days go and take every day as it comes. I have a few details for companies outside the parks I just need to check reviews etc to make sure there no hidden costs etc

Thank you

We have used Buena Vista rentals in the past and they worked great. We are trying Gold Mobility for our Scooter in September, I've heard really great things about them.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just a thought here if your mother needs assistance getting around the parks. Nothing wrong with a wheelchair, but in the Florida heat, pushing someone around the parks can (sometimes) be exhausting. I know that a number of guests have opted instead, for the ECV scooters. (They also fit on all of the WDW transit options.)

Best of luck to all of you, and certainly if she needs any sort of assistance, she should feel comfortable in requesting it. There are many guests with various disabilities who visit the parks, and it all works out well. :)

Rista1313

Just a thought here if your mother needs assistance getting around the parks. Nothing wrong with a wheelchair, but in the Florida heat, pushing someone around the parks can (sometimes) be exhausting. I know that a number of guests have opted instead, for the ECV scooters. (They also fit on all of the WDW transit options.)

Best of luck to all of you, and certainly if she needs any sort of assistance, she should feel comfortable in requesting it. There are many guests with various disabilities who visit the parks, and it all works out well. :)

They are staying off property this time, so they would mostly likely need a scooter that could be disassembled and be able to fit in the trunk of a car or vehicle.

Longers

Original Poster
We have used Buena Vista rentals in the past and they worked great. We are trying Gold Mobility for our Scooter in September, I've heard really great things about them.

Great thank you

Hydrate hydrate hydrate!!!

YOU GOT THIS!
Can not wait to hear all about it (and maybe we will meet up😎).

Say hi if you see us and have a great time

As @Rista1313 said we are off site and are looking for something to fold
We’re happy to push her if needs be she’s done enough for us over the years so we owe her.

I think she will be careful - as long as we’re all honest hopefully it will all work out

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom