Pre-Trip Our big family trip is nearly here

Hello friends
I’m back

How you doing?

I’ve been away a while but had to stop by to update everyone.

As most of you know we became AP in November during our trip - it was something I had only dreamed of but it happened.

256E3A92-993A-4515-9592-5653ED5B7AAF.jpeg

The main reason was I knew for sure I had another trip coming up - in 21 days to be exact and the cost of the AP worked out the same as tickets for both of those trips so I was no worse off - and there would always then be the chance of another trip!

Did it happen while I’ve been away?
Of course it did!

1CD5B097-D0CC-4AB1-8D00-3E1C6B14C86A.jpeg

We had a week off in March and decided to use the passes so we booked a flight, and a hotel offsite! Shock horror - I was offsite and not in my beloved POR but like Chris said - rather be in Florida with Disney everyday rather than at home in the UK with no Disney. Plus he thought this would break me in gently for the Aug trip in a villa.

Obviously there were quite a few BTMRR rides and plenty of ice cream!

73360702-86B3-4358-9491-0EE32B738602.jpeg

769B9FFE-74CD-4E66-B9D9-F811CD3C8BB0.jpeg

19C6EE41-62A3-4F16-AA28-8C262EF2A047.jpeg

I also got to do 2 meet and greets - the Nic and Judy picture was one I absolutely had to get

8DBF4F99-79F0-4D55-85EB-E8FA91FF4C9E.jpeg

7A6A59A1-329F-4D2B-A499-D0667D550774.jpeg

We also got to see F&G again as I loved it so much last year.

ADDD60B0-1C30-4FC9-A4F5-6E7B4F962C36.jpeg

AF90DCC1-60FE-4C47-8A18-17F97A27D9E6.jpeg

It was very strange staying offsite - it kind of felt like we didn’t go. I was suffering with a bad stomach for part of the trip too but we still had a great time

Sorry I digress.....

Now back to the upcoming trip which as been in the planning for year and was booked over a year and half ago.

For those of you who don’t know me - I’m Tracey, I am a Disney addict but I know I’m in good company on this site. I visit every year from the UK in November for my birthday. My husband Chris never wanted to go to Disney but once he did he loved it (well that’s what I keep telling him)

We’ve visited over 25 times I think now and have racked up early a year in Disney (most of it in POR)

We’re visiting in 21 days with my family - 9 of us in total - this could get interesting.......

My brother and wife who took a trip with us in 2016
My mum who last came to Disney with us in 1998 - this will be her 2nd trip - I wonder after 20 years what changes she will notice
My sister and her partner - my sister had a messy divorce and has saved so hard for this trip - it’s her first holiday in 14 years
And my 2 nephews aged 14 and 16 - A who is 16 had his last holiday abroad when he was 2 he spent the whole time Ill to the point my sister was thinking of flying him home, and N who has never had a holiday abroad so this will be his first time on a plane and abroad.

We have a villa in Tuscan Hills (myself and Chris drove to the gates in March just so we could see where it was). It’s about 30 min drive to Epcot - the issue is the road it comes out onto (I can’t remember the name) is full of traffic lights - let’s hope they are in our favour on the mornings!

We have 2 hire cars so if we do want to separate towards the end we have options

FP have started to be booked but we know we might have to be flexible as I’m not sure my nephews will love Disney as much as me - I have tried to train them over the years but we’ll see - N says his not meeting princesses! Not managed to get any SDD, FOP or 7DMT but I kind of expected that staying offsite. It I also haven’t got TOT and my nephews want to do It! I think with repairs on 1 elevator have reduced the number of FP - I will keep trying though.... I don’t give up

We also know it will be hot, we recently had record temperatures in the UK so that might have helped them know what it will be like - but I have cool towels, fans, cotton clothes, hats and they will all be hydrating. I’ve also put some breaks in where we can go out or stay in depending how people feel - I will probably be going out even if no one else does - gotta get that Disney fix!

The countdown is properly on now.....
This time in 3 weeks we’ll have just taken off.......

Minnesota disney fan

I’ve just heard the terrible news from the USA - I really will never understand how people can be horrible to others and see fit to take others lives.
I have no words
My thoughts are with all the families.

Just last night they had another one in Dayton, Ohio, where my Aunt and cousin live. I have to believe that the availability of the media of all kinds is the main problem. There have always been crazy people. But now they see this on their devices and think, Wow, I can have my face on tv and the internet, I'll be famous. I think there are a lot of copy cat nuts out there!

Longers

Original Poster
Tracey I am so excited for you! I can’t believe I am just now finding this PTR. We were on vacation (sadly not at Disney!) and I am just now getting caught up. I know this has been a dream of yours to introduce your nephews to Disney. How wonderful that it is happening in just a few weeks!
Love your idea of trying to meet people from all 50 states. That will be such a fun quest!
Your plans look great! I truly hope your family learns to love Disney as you do!
I will be following along!

Ahhh, there you are!
Hope you had a good holiday....

I am excited but I still want to do things as if they are still young and I have to keep stopping to think they are now teenagers, Chris is constantly saying “they won’t want to do that!”
I wish we could have made this happen sooner but I’m still pleased to be taking them
My youngest nephew has said he is looking forward to
1) getting on a plane
2) going to the USA
3) seeing if Disney is everything I make out it is - his going to be a tough one to crack........

My other nephew will just go with it! He text us all yesterday saying 2 weeks to go.....

I don’t think I’m doing good at this pre trip report thing but really just wanted to check in to tell everyone it was approaching as I know I’ve mentioned on a few TR’s.

There will be a TR to follow .....

Longers

Original Poster
Just last night they had another one in Dayton, Ohio, where my Aunt and cousin live. I have to believe that the availability of the media of all kinds is the main problem. There have always been crazy people. But now they see this on their devices and think, Wow, I can have my face on tv and the internet, I'll be famous. I think there are a lot of copy cat nuts out there!

I know if they didn’t get the media attention maybe they would be less.
I just can’t understand how people can take others lives.
I know I live in a Disney bubble but some people are so horrible.
Hope your aunt and cousin are ok.

Minnesota disney fan

I know if they didn’t get the media attention maybe they would be less.
I just can’t understand how people can take others lives.
I know I live in a Disney bubble but some people are so horrible.
Hope your aunt and cousin are ok.
They are! Thanks for asking:) People say to add new laws, but the old ones need enforcing IMO.

PacNWTigger

My youngest nephew was talking about the US states this weekend and I jokingly said shall we see if we can meet someone from every one - he kind of said yes but I am going to try to make it a thing.

So I just printed this off for us to update each day - it may never take off but I’m taking it anyway....

View attachment 394208
I think that's a great idea! You guys will have a lot of fun, and it will give you an excuse to strike up conversations with others while you're waiting in line.

epcotisbest

I don't want to sound like a negative Nelly, but I really hope the group trip does not change the joy and excitement you always convey in your previous trip reports. Seems you always have the best time just the two of you.
Maybe I am being selfish, but the couple of times we have met up with friends and/or family at WDW, it has not exactly been a plus for us. Not really a negative I suppose, but I guess we are just too set in our ways.
Either way, I'm sure there will be rides on BTMR and lots of ice cream, so...yeah!

Longers

Original Poster
I think that's a great idea! You guys will have a lot of fun, and it will give you an excuse to strike up conversations with others while you're waiting in line.

My nephew had an idea tonight we get photos with everyone as well as marking it on a map.
This idea could grow!

I don't want to sound like a negative Nelly, but I really hope the group trip does not change the joy and excitement you always convey in your previous trip reports. Seems you always have the best time just the two of you.
Maybe I am being selfish, but the couple of times we have met up with friends and/or family at WDW, it has not exactly been a plus for us. Not really a negative I suppose, but I guess we are just too set in our ways.
Either way, I'm sure there will be rides on BTMR and lots of ice cream, so...yeah!
That’s not negative and I did think the same thing - this is our little bubble and we do just have the best time but I think we’re going to be tour guides for the first week anyway - I keep joking that I’m tour guide Barbie to Chris (I even considered a t shirt to surprise them with at the airport).not done anything about that one yet. :D - there is still time!

I’m guessing they might not want to be in the parks as much as us so we’ve already decided if they stay in we will probably go out to get our fix and our time in our “home”
I’m just going to try to chill, enjoy the fact that they are experiencing Disney (and either first holidays or first holidays for years) and just see how it all pans out.

Like you say I have BTMRR and ice creams coming my way so all is good.

Longers

Original Poster
I’ve seen my older nephew tonight for McDonald’s and a holiday chat - he is so excited - it’s really good to see.

He had loads of questions about airports, what happens etc.

Loads of children at 16 have been on a plane and experienced this before but he was only 2 the last time so he remembers nothing.
I think we forget as we go so often - this will be such a different experience for him.

We’ve already said we’ll support in showing them around but they have to all make their own memories and find their own ways too - we’ll find the balance

I think Chris is worried that I cry now at the view of the castle - what will I be like with my family there?!

2 weeks to go...........

LisaBelle

My nephew had an idea tonight we get photos with everyone as well as marking it on a map.
This idea could grow!

Love this idea!

That’s not negative and I did think the same thing - this is our little bubble and we do just have the best time but I think we’re going to be tour guides for the first week anyway - I keep joking that I’m tour guide Barbie to Chris (I even considered a t shirt to surprise them with at the airport).not done anything about that one yet. :D - there is still time!

Love the t-shirt idea.

I’ve seen my older nephew tonight for McDonald’s and a holiday chat - he is so excited - it’s really good to see.

He had loads of questions about airports, what happens etc.

Loads of children at 16 have been on a plane and experienced this before but he was only 2 the last time so he remembers nothing.
I think we forget as we go so often - this will be such a different experience for him.

We’ve already said we’ll support in showing them around but they have to all make their own memories and find their own ways too - we’ll find the balance

I think Chris is worried that I cry now at the view of the castle - what will I be like with my family there?!

2 weeks to go...........

Your nephew seems so sweet! So happy he’s excited about the journey as well as your time in the parks.
Seeing the castle with your family will be amazing and emotional! I would be a crying mess!

Ahhh, there you are!
Hope you had a good holiday....

I am excited but I still want to do things as if they are still young and I have to keep stopping to think they are now teenagers, Chris is constantly saying “they won’t want to do that!”
I wish we could have made this happen sooner but I’m still pleased to be taking them
My youngest nephew has said he is looking forward to
1) getting on a plane
2) going to the USA
3) seeing if Disney is everything I make out it is - his going to be a tough one to crack........

My other nephew will just go with it! He text us all yesterday saying 2 weeks to go.....

I don’t think I’m doing good at this pre trip report thing but really just wanted to check in to tell everyone it was approaching as I know I’ve mentioned on a few TR’s.

There will be a TR to follow .....

Thanks! We had a great holiday! Along with my sister’s family we drove from Ohio to Colorado. Spent 3 days in Colorado, went to a rodeo in Wyoming and then drove to South Dakota to see the Crazy Horse Monument and Mount Rushmore. Then drove back to Ohio. We traveled through 10 states. All that planning and traveling right after she and I returned from Disney kept us busy all summer. I still need to start my TR and I am back to school for training starting tomorrow! Summer flew by way too fast!
You’re doing great with this pre-trip! I’m so glad you’re writing it so that I know I have another @Longers TR to look forward to!
Traveling with a large group requires a different mindset. You know that gong in and I think you are on track with your plan to support them in exploring, but they are in charge of their own memories! I think your love of Disney is contagious and everyone will have a great time.
:inlove:Can’t wait to read all about it.

Longers

Original Poster
Love this idea!

Love the t-shirt idea.

Your nephew seems so sweet! So happy he’s excited about the journey as well as your time in the parks.
Seeing the castle with your family will be amazing and emotional! I would be a crying mess!

Thanks! We had a great holiday! Along with my sister’s family we drove from Ohio to Colorado. Spent 3 days in Colorado, went to a rodeo in Wyoming and then drove to South Dakota to see the Crazy Horse Monument and Mount Rushmore. Then drove back to Ohio. We traveled through 10 states. All that planning and traveling right after she and I returned from Disney kept us busy all summer. I still need to start my TR and I am back to school for training starting tomorrow! Summer flew by way too fast!
You’re doing great with this pre-trip! I’m so glad you’re writing it so that I know I have another @Longers TR to look forward to!
Traveling with a large group requires a different mindset. You know that gong in and I think you are on track with your plan to support them in exploring, but they are in charge of their own memories! I think your love of Disney is contagious and everyone will have a great time.
:inlove:Can’t wait to read all about it.

Glad you had a great summer.
10 states sounds like a lot of driving.
I know how long TR’s take so I don’t blame you for delaying until you can give it the time.
I will obviously report on our trip - it is sure to be different from our others!

Eek not long left till we go

Longers

Original Poster
Here’s a quick summary of what our plans might look like - obviously we will need to be flexible depending on how people are feeling, heat, rain etc.

Monday 19th travel day - no plans when we arrive apart from shopping for breakfast and sleeping

20th Aug - Magic Kingdom - I have Buzz, HM and obviously BTMRR FP (well I was never not going on BTMRR was I!) we’ll stay out as long as people want or we’ll head back to the villa
Chris and I have SWGE preview from 3-7pm so if we can get over to HS then we will - I think others will head back to the villa for a few hours so myself and Chris will sneak out - the plans for this night we’re either Epcot or Hs fireworks or they can all Have an early night - we’re going to play it by ear

21st Aug - Aminal Kingdom - Everest, Safari and Navi FP - again stay out or head back - the MK fireworks if we can

22nd Aug - shopping morning - hopefully not for long but it appears to be something they all want to do. With the dollar rate at 1.2 I’m guessing there won’t be that many bargains. We’ll head to HS in the afternoon - Star tours, RNRC and TSMM FP

23rd - Universal day
I have FP for Epcot from 5.40 if anyone is up for a visit (TT, Mission Space and SE)

24th -free morning for water park or airboat ride or Epcot - their choice
FP from 2pm in MK - if they want to stay for fireworks we will.

25th - Kennedy - this is somewhere both boys want to go
I’ve booked AK FP as that’s nearest to the villa - they start at 5.40 so it will depend if we’re back or if people want to go (otherwise we’ll cancel them) - Dinosaur, Everest, ROL

26th - free morning again for water park, airboat or anything else Epcot FP from 5-20 LWTL, MS, FEA - illuminations

27th - AK am - try to queue FOP if we haven’t done it (FP Everest, Safari, dinosaur) then a free afternoon - might head over to Hs in case there are any soft openings for SWGE

28th - MK morning - FP PoTC, Buzz, BTMRR - stay all day or free afternoon

29th - Universal day - EP FP from 5pm - even though it’s the first day of F&W - but a chance to ale my 1st visit for those coasters

30th HS morning - finally got a TOT FP but only for 3, the nephews really want to do TOt so I’m glad I could get them 1 - they just need 1 adult to go with them! The rest of the FP for this day are split
Get into SWGE if we can!
We’ll be done with FP by lunch so they can stay or leave (myself and Chris need to get to EP for our day 2 entry!)

31st - MK FP AM - free afternoon
Myself and Chris need to get to EP for our day 3 entry and also want to pop into AK for a Simba magnet!

1st sept - drop bags at Disney Springs - Irvin Atlantic have a drop off So they take the bags to the airport for you.
Then EP FP AM and hopefully pick up some coaster!
Flight back to the Uk is 5.35 so I guess we’ll be leaving the parks shortly after lunch

As I say it’s all pretty flexible with free time built in - who knows if any of this will happen but if you don’t have a plan nothing will happen!

Rista1313

Here’s a quick summary of what our plans might look like - obviously we will need to be flexible depending on how people are feeling, heat, rain etc.

Monday 19th travel day - no plans when we arrive apart from shopping for breakfast and sleeping

20th Aug - Magic Kingdom - I have Buzz, HM and obviously BTMRR FP (well I was never not going on BTMRR was I!) we’ll stay out as long as people want or we’ll head back to the villa
Chris and I have SWGE preview from 3-7pm so if we can get over to HS then we will - I think others will head back to the villa for a few hours so myself and Chris will sneak out - the plans for this night we’re either Epcot or Hs fireworks or they can all Have an early night - we’re going to play it by ear

21st Aug - Aminal Kingdom - Everest, Safari and Navi FP - again stay out or head back - the MK fireworks if we can

22nd Aug - shopping morning - hopefully not for long but it appears to be something they all want to do. With the dollar rate at 1.2 I’m guessing there won’t be that many bargains. We’ll head to HS in the afternoon - Star tours, RNRC and TSMM FP

23rd - Universal day
I have FP for Epcot from 5.40 if anyone is up for a visit (TT, Mission Space and SE)

I’ve booked AK FP as that’s nearest to the villa - they start at 5.40 so it will depend if we’re back or if people want to go (otherwise we’ll cancel them) - Dinosaur, Everest, ROL

26th - free morning again for water park, airboat or anything else Epcot FP from 5-20 LWTL, MS, FEA - illuminations

27th - AK am - try to queue FOP if we haven’t done it (FP Everest, Safari, dinosaur) then a free afternoon - might head over to Hs in case there are any soft openings for SWGE

29th - Universal day - EP FP from 5pm - even though it’s the first day of F&W - but a chance to ale my 1st visit for those coasters

30th HS morning - finally got a TOT FP but only for 3, the nephews really want to do TOt so I’m glad I could get them 1 - they just need 1 adult to go with them! The rest of the FP for this day are split
Get into SWGE if we can!
We’ll be done with FP by lunch so they can stay or leave (myself and Chris need to get to EP for our day 2 entry!)

Myself and Chris need to get to EP for our day 3 entry and also want to pop into AK for a Simba magnet!

1st sept - drop bags at Disney Springs - Irvin Atlantic have a drop off So they take the bags to the airport for you.
Flight back to the Uk is 5.35 so I guess we’ll be leaving the parks shortly after lunch

As I say it’s all pretty flexible with free time built in - who knows if any of this will happen but if you don’t have a plan nothing will happen!

Wow.. yes this will be quite a different trip for you!

Longers

Original Poster
Wow.. yes this will be quite a different trip for you!

I never said I was sticking with them the whole time - lol
If they are staying in - I will probably go out .....

You know me I like to be in a park every second ....

That sounds like a very good plan. I can't wait to read your trip report! And good luck getting all of your coasters!

Thank you - I think we’ll need it

I suspect you won’t be back in time from Kennedy for your fastpasses. We went a few years ago (I think my DD was about 10 at the time) and we regretted not having more time to spend there.
Last time we went a couple of years ago we only did the front bit - didn’t even get on the bus and we were there until about 4pm so I doubt it either but they are there in case - they might fancy ROL on the way in...

epcotisbest

23rd - Universal day

Get into SWGE if we can!

Wow, I'm tired just reading that. Sounds like a lot of fun. As you know, our trips are much more of the laid back, relaxed, mostly non-park stuff nowadays. If I still had the energy, I might like to try a trip like that, but not during the heat of summer.

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

23rd - Universal day

Get into SWGE if we can!

We have AK morning fastpasses for EE, Safari and afternoon for FoP on the same day. Will look for you!

Longers

Original Poster
Wow, I'm tired just reading that. Sounds like a lot of fun. As you know, our trips are much more of the laid back, relaxed, mostly non-park stuff nowadays. If I still had the energy, I might like to try a trip like that, but not during the heat of summer.

I think this trio might end up a little more laid back in order to get everyone through the heat, although I don’t want them to miss anything
We’ll see how it al” plans out

We have AK morning fastpasses for EE, Safari and afternoon for FoP on the same day. Will look for you!

Yay - not long now!

Longers

Original Poster
Sorry it appears I’m not as good at pre trip reports as I am as TR’s (I’m not saying those are good either but at least I update them regularly!)

We are 5 days away (including today) from being at the airport but I’m not my usual bubbly self :(

All my packing is out but it’s been more of a challenge as I’m trying to consider the heat
I went shopping at the weekend but returned empty handed.
I will try again this weekend (fingers crossed) I need some shorts and cool tops but winter stuff has started to appear in the shops now..

Normally I have a pile of Disney clothes that come out every time I go to Disney - I am just concerned I need some other bits this year due to the heat/rain - it’s causing me a headache.

Also my mum has been poorly for a few months - she’s normally really active but has been suffering with a bad back to the degree where she usually walks miles and she hasn’t been out. When this holiday was booked we all joked she was fitter than any of us but that is no longer the case.
She paid for private scans which show some problems.
She has an osteopath appointment and a doctors appointment today so we’ll know more later

I’ve looked up wheelchair hire and the cost to buy one as we have serious concerns on how she will get around. We’ve found an outside Disney company that looks ok and we have one in the family we might look at to see if we could take it should it be needed.

I also think I’m piling the pressure on myself as I feel sick about it all

My mind is racing - how about if someone gets sick, how about if my mum can’t go, how about if they don’t like it!

My sister has spent so much I don’t want it ruined for her, or for her not to have a good time.

I know none of this is my responsibility - they need to make their own fun etc but it’s all getting to me

I’m sure after today when mum gets the all clear and we know what provisions we need to make for her (fingers crossed) and once my nephew comes to me tonight with his packing - and his excitement I might feel better but right now i don’t have that pixie dust anywhere near me

What is happening to me?

Sorry to put a downer on anyone’s day I don’t mean to I just think i need to talk (so to speak) as I bottle all these feeling up.
Forgive me........

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom