Osceola Interchange/Road Permits

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Was in the area today and noted that they were installing the silt screens over by the ESPN entrance so that area should be seeing some tree clearing soon. Further west there's an area that had been previously cleared that has a Huge 100x100 area or possibly more that's been leveled, graveled and has shiny metal bits sticking out of it on about a 5ft grid. I wish I had gotten a better look at it because it was really quite strange.

Are you referring to this area...

20160917_085253.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
There was a South Florida Water Management permit files last week for geo-technical borings related for road construction. I have marked the locations in blue on the map. The lower one is interesting. They haven't filed a permit for the entire new entrance road yet so this leads me to believe they may be re-thinking how the new entrance will work.

Note that I also changed the title of this thread so we can use it for all DHS related road construction discussion.

upload_2016-9-20_10-27-1.png

El Grupo

There was a South Florida Water Management permit files last week for geo-technical borings related for road construction. I have marked the locations in blue on the map. The lower one is interesting. They haven't filed a permit for the entire new entrance road yet so this leads me to believe they may be re-thinking how the new entrance will work.

Note that I also changed the title of this thread so we can use it for all DHS related road construction discussion.

View attachment 163724

Interesting. If they are rethinking the plans, I'm curious to see if they may be re-evaluating the entire entrance plans, including direct access from Osceola, or just the entrance/exit from Victory Road.

cjkeating

View attachment 163724

I can't help but think that the parking garages have been put on hold (cost cuts) so they will extend the parking as per the water management plans and leave it at that. This could have an impact on how the entrance/exit to the parking would work?

Goofyernmost

Are you referring to this area...

View attachment 163722
Just a guess here, but, that section looks like a compacting area where they haul in other soil and pile it on wet areas to basically squash the water out of the area and relocate it in an effort to reclaim wet lands and make the dry enough to build on top of with no further settling. The markers placed in the grid can be used to survey the amount of settling that the area is doing and if it is compacting the proper amount. Again just a guess on my part.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just a guess here, but, that section looks like a compacting area where they haul in other soil and pile it on wet areas to basically squash the water out of the area and relocate it in an effort to reclaim wet lands and make the dry enough to build on top of with no further settling. The markers placed in the grid can be used to survey the amount of settling that the area is doing and if it is compacting the proper amount. Again just a guess on my part.

As I posted above, the "markers" are wick drains. It is essentially doing what you describe but the wicks are part of the process not just markers.

http://www.haywardbaker.com/WhatWeDo/Techniques/AdditionalServices/WickDrains/default.aspx

Goofyernmost

As I posted above, the "markers" are wick drains. It is essentially doing what you describe but the wicks are part of the process not just markers.

http://www.haywardbaker.com/WhatWeDo/Techniques/AdditionalServices/WickDrains/default.aspx
Thanks.. that is a new part of the process since I last saw it happening. Before they used to almost build a mountain on top of the area that needed to be "wrung out" and the sticks on the top were wooden and marked so that surveyors could measure how much settling was going on. Looks like this is a method to bring water to the surface and evaporate it instead of just move it to one side, is that correct?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
did they end up building the construction exit like in this pic?

looked like they didnt from recent photos, not sure

any update on the victory way/osceola project?

Yes, here is the Nearmap image from a month or so ago where you can see it was close to completion.

upload_2016-12-2_6-55-33.png

Some very preliminary work on the Osceola/Victory interchange.

upload_2016-12-2_6-57-26.png

FerretAfros

Here are some photos of the work at the Victory Way intersection/interchange that I took last week. The area behind the WWOS monument sign has been cleared (in addition to the clearing on the east side of the road previously shown in aerial photos), and site work is beginning. The first two photos (which look suspiciously like the deforestation scene in Kali) were taken on Wednesday 1/4; the others are from the Marathon on Sunday 1/8

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

P1180363.JPG

P1180367.JPG

P1180368.JPG

P1180389.JPG

P1180391.JPG

And a quick key map to show what each photo is looking at:
Victory Way.jpg

Clearing had also taken place on the northwest quadrant of the intersection, but I didn't get any pictures of it during the haze/excitement/pain of the race

FerretAfros

And an update on the work on the World Dr intersection. Clearing appears to be nearly complete on the southeast quadrant of the interchange, and widening is taking place along the median of the westbound Osceola Parkway lanes. The conveyor belt appears to be complete, but I have no idea if it's operational; earlier in the week, I saw a truck that appeared to carry a folded up belt on the STOLport near TTC, but I'm not sure if it was related

All photos were taken during the Marathon on 1/8. In an excellent effort to "make lemonade" out of sending runners through a not-so-scenic construction site, there were some "paleontologists" on the side of the course with microphones, making banter about their dinosaur dig

P1180354.JPG

P1180358.JPG

P1180359.JPG

P1180360.JPG

P1180361.JPG

P1180396.JPG

P1180398.JPG

P1180401.JPG

P1180404.JPG

Key map:
World Dr.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I found the bid documents for this project which include the expected completion dates:

6/15/2018 - Limited access to the new DHS entrance
9/1/2018 - Full access to the new DHS entrance
12/17/2018 - Most work done on the Victory/Osceola portion of the project
11/1/2019 - Work complete on the World Dr portion of the project.

the plans also mention that the existing entrance to DHS will be closed permanently.

mm121

I found the construction sequence in the plans. The hashed areas will be built first and these will eventually be the ramps from Osceola to Victory. Short term they will carry the traffic around the construction area while build the new bridge over Victory.
View attachment 186504

good to see this moving forward soon

anyone know if the same company is building this that did the road construction over by disney springs?

with everything theyve been doing seems like they'd almost just keep construction companies on standby lol

just dont know why they neglected everything for so long causing all this catchup work

Goofyernmost

good to see this moving forward soon

anyone know if the same company is building this that did the road construction over by disney springs?

with everything theyve been doing seems like they'd almost just keep construction companies on standby lol

just dont know why they neglected everything for so long causing all this catchup work
That seems to be the hardest part for anyone to understand, but, look at it like your home budget. You are budgeting for a trip to, say, WDW. You have figured out how much you're going to spend when all of a sudden you find that you need a new furnace, hot water heater, central air conditioning, the dog got sick, your kid needed massive orthodontist work done, That noise you were unable to identify in your car engine finally stopped as soon as a piston went flying through your hood and just like that you didn't spend any money on a vacation.

Think of Disney Co. is just a much larger household. You might, or might not have planned on upgrading places, then other opportunities came up that tied up a lot of cash and equity, like Hong Kong, Paris, Lucas, Pixar, Marvel and Shanghai that became an opportunity that they felt they couldn't pass up. So to have enough money to make those other things happen, they decided not to spend any money on a place that was a cash cow for them. Then all of a sudden the furnace went out along with the hot water heater, etc. So now other things are taking a back seat while repairs are being made on this part of the house. And there you have the how did that happen. It called diverting funds to achieve immediate goals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom