Osborne Lights Officially Returning for 2015 for 20th and Final Season

JIMINYCR

I'm sorry, but I don't get what the big deal is. Yes, they were pretty, but once you saw them once, you saw them. And holy moley was it crowded in there!!!!

And nowadays, you can drive around some neighborhoods and see some fairly impressive light displays during the Holidays, if that's your thing.

Plus they're adding two entire new lands in DHS. So complaining about them closing one seasonal nighttime-only show like it's the end of the world seems kind of excessive. I HIGHLY doubt anyone ever decided to go to Disney during the Holidays JUST because of the lights.

"Hey honey, lets spend $3-5,000 on a Disney World vacation so we can go see the Osbourn Family Lights @ DSH!" - said no one ever.
We didnt go JUST for the lights BUT when weve planned a December trip, the Osborne lights were a piece of our trip that we looked forward to. Yes, there are neighborhood shows around us with extreme number of lights and music but I've yet to experience anything like the synchronized music & light show that Disney put on. They definitely added to the Christmas theming of the parks and even though we didnt pay to specifically see the lights, they were a draw to DHS. We spent a lot of enjoyable moments walking the streets viewing all the scenery and enjoying more of our holiday weeks because of them. We will miss the show, despite our excitement of what will replace them. We are eager for new lands and experiences to come.

virk4

We didnt go JUST for the lights BUT when weve planned a December trip, the Osborne lights were a piece of our trip that we looked forward to. Yes, there are neighborhood shows around us with extreme number of lights and music but I've yet to experience anything like the synchronized music & light show that Disney put on. They definitely added to the Christmas theming of the parks and even though we didnt pay to specifically see the lights, they were a draw to DHS. We spent a lot of enjoyable moments walking the streets viewing all the scenery and enjoying more of our holiday weeks because of them. We will miss the show, despite our excitement of what will replace them. We are eager for new lands and experiences to come.

ditto

yensid67

I'm surprised that the Osbourne Lights have lasted this long. When the shuttered Epcot's Lights of Winter, it was said to be because the lights were obsolete...you would have thought that these lights would have become obsolete as well!? But I guess since they make a few bucks on this, they would put the money into it to update it(just like they could have done with Lights of Winter!) But, getting back to the Osbourne lights, don't you think Disney COULD find someplace to display them on property? Maybe at Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarters or spread the lights out over the resorts for Christmas!? Disney Springs would be a good candidate for some Christmas lights like this!?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm surprised that the Osbourne Lights have lasted this long. When the shuttered Epcot's Lights of Winter, it was said to be because the lights were obsolete...you would have thought that these lights would have become obsolete as well!? But I guess since they make a few bucks on this, they would put the money into it to update it(just like they could have done with Lights of Winter!) But, getting back to the Osbourne lights, don't you think Disney COULD find someplace to display them on property? Maybe at Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarters or spread the lights out over the resorts for Christmas!? Disney Springs would be a good candidate for some Christmas lights like this!?

People keep talking about moving them to Epcot or Disney Springs, but it really isn't that simple. The Backlot is a row of facades, that have all the anchor points for mounting in place, and the electrical infrastructure to do it. They are not going to want to cover the World Showcase or Disney Springs buildings with all the mounting hardware, and spend 6 months of the year having them partially installed and being removed.

The lights were a unique fit for the backlot, and something I can't see being replicated anywhere else at WDW.

With the lights going, they need to create a new holiday spectacular, with Epcot being the obvious choice.

Dwarful

We haven't been to WDW during the holidays for a few years. But when we did make it to the park the lights were a must do, multiple times. We will really miss the lights. We didn't make it to WDW this summer and we are going to Cali next summer...so maybe by the time we get back to WDW some things will be started or finished.

mrsWarren14

Why couldn't they line the buildings along Main Street with the lights and do something similar to the Ozborne Lights? Or, on the buildings in World Showcase? That would be pretty cool! I know the different cultures celebrate Christmas in many different ways but it's just a thought! They could have Illuminations as well as the Pavilion's Light Show!

bgraham34

It is a big deal because some people really enjoy it and base their trips around it. I know of 3 people who are making weekend trips just to see the lights one last time. Holidays at Disney are a seasonal draw and for me seeing the Osborne lights is part of that. With that gone and no replacement named I have no plans to do back during Xmas for several years. While I enjoy seeing the resorts and MK setup for Xmas its Osborne Lights that bring out the magic of Christmas for me.

I'm sorry, but I don't get what the big deal is. Yes, they were pretty, but once you saw them once, you saw them. And holy moley was it crowded in there!!!!

And nowadays, you can drive around some neighborhoods and see some fairly impressive light displays during the Holidays, if that's your thing.

Plus they're adding two entire new lands in DHS. So complaining about them closing one seasonal nighttime-only show like it's the end of the world seems kind of excessive. I HIGHLY doubt anyone ever decided to go to Disney during the Holidays JUST because of the lights.

"Hey honey, lets spend $3-5,000 on a Disney World vacation so we can go see the Osbourn Family Lights @ DSH!" - said no one ever.

Jon81uk

Why couldn't they line the buildings along Main Street with the lights and do something similar to the Ozborne Lights? Or, on the buildings in World Showcase? That would be pretty cool! I know the different cultures celebrate Christmas in many different ways but it's just a thought! They could have Illuminations as well as the Pavilion's Light Show!
People keep talking about moving them to Epcot or Disney Springs, but it really isn't that simple. The Backlot is a row of facades, that have all the anchor points for mounting in place, and the electrical infrastructure to do it. They are not going to want to cover the World Showcase or Disney Springs buildings with all the mounting hardware, and spend 6 months of the year having them partially installed and being removed.

The lights were a unique fit for the backlot, and something I can't see being replicated anywhere else at WDW.

With the lights going, they need to create a new holiday spectacular, with Epcot being the obvious choice.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I'm glad that Ozzy and Sharron will be getting their lights back. ;) "SHARRON!!! Where are the Christmas Lights?!"

Seriously, I am contemplating a trip this year to see the lights. I have only been to WDW during the holiday season once, in 2008. While we did attend Mickey's Not-So Scary X-Mas Party, we missed out on the Osborne Lights.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I'm glad that Ozzy and Sharron will be getting their lights back. ;) "SHARRON!!! Where are the Christmas Lights?!"

Seriously, I am contemplating a trip this year to see the lights. I have only been to WDW during the holiday season once, in 2008. While we did attend Mickey's Not-So Scary X-Mas Party, we missed out on the Osborne Lights.
Ozzy has been on a bender up in the attic looking for the Christmas lights since 1995.

jback93

Do they typically have soft openings/showings for the Osborne Lights? Like during the week before 11/6? We are flying out on the 6th and will miss the official opening.

FigmentForver96

The lights being on Main Street would be a NIGHTMARE. You are talking about taking the most walked street in the entire resort and covering it in lights that people will stand and watch. They might as well cut fireworks during the winter, because to many people will be watching the dancing lights.

aeillill

The more I think about this the more upset I am that I'll never get a chance to see them turned on in person. I wish they had announced that this would be the final year earlier. I would have been more than willing to push my trip back a week. It just makes me sad.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
The more I think about this the more upset I am that I'll never get a chance to see them turned on in person. I wish they had announced that this would be the final year earlier. I would have been more than willing to push my trip back a week. It just makes me sad.
You didn't know there was a strong possibility that this would be the final year?

aeillill

You didn't know there was a strong possibility that this would be the final year?

Nope, I had been out of the Disney loop for a bit. I suppose if I had been more into it I would have seen the warning signs and read all the context clues. I don't think I would have missed a direct announcement from them though which is why I wish they had made it final earlier.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Lord knows that Main Street is too crowded as it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom