Orlando678- Imagineering Concept Series

orlando678-

Original Poster
An Introduction And A Warm Welcome

Welcome fellow imagineers, dreamers, Disney fanatics and friends. Welcome to my personal Imagineering Concept Thread. I figured that every time I start a new thread I get distracted with a new concept which I get really excited for, so I was thinking of solutions and then I came up with the Imagineering Concept Series. That means that if I have time and enough concentration, any of my ideas will be posted in this thread and placed in a certain Concept Series. This is done in the hope to prevent my threads to slowly die off as I get bored with them. In this thread I will focus on theme park or entertainment resort designs and concepts. For many years I have been a fan of and extremely interested in the ways theme parks worldwide manage to create magical worlds for us Guests to escape our everyday lifes. In particular, Disney has always managed to amaze me and with a rich history and collection of franchises, the parks have been able to entertain families for centuries. So, as I said before, the concepts that will be posted in this thread, will be part of various Concept Series. Examples of these series are:

- A Trip Through Neverland: An analysis of what a theme park/ theme park resort would look like, using the concepts that were never realized by Disney.
- Walt Disney World Resort from Scratch: An idealization of Walt Disney World Resort starting from its' design phase, instead of looking at how Walt Disney World could be improved.
- Disneyland Resort Paris: A New Generation: An analysis of Disneyland Resort Paris and the ways in which it might expand or could improve itself in the coming decades.
- To The Things We Lost: An analysis of extinct Disney theme park concepts and how these concepts could inspire a modern theme park.
- Dubai Disney Resort: Imagineering a new Disney resort in Dubai, based on the current trends in Disney Imagineering.
- 2020: Disney's First Entertainment Resort: What would a Disney theme park resort look like if Disney had never built one before.
- Copy and Paste: An analysis of existing popular Disney attractions, restaurants etc and selecting the best of the best to form a Disney park.
- In Theatres Soon: Dreaming of possible ideas for future Disney movies.

1542577172233.png
What I hope to create in this thread is not only a showcase of my ideas, but a two-way exchange of visions on these various What-ifs or concepts. So, I hope that this serves well as an introduction for now and I'm curious to see whether this thread will serve its primary purpose, to collectively dream about Disney Parks and Resorts, the possibilities are endless.

orlando678-

Original Poster
Series: A Trip Through Neverland
The 'A Trip Through Neverland'- series takes us to a park inspired by concepts which were never realized by Disney. Think of the magical worlds of Beastly Kingdom, Discovery Bay and Glacier Bay when it comes to these concepts. This park is a collection of these ideas that were left on the design table.
Episode 1: Main Street U.S.A.
1542599503023.png

Every park has a port of entry, an introduction to the world of enchantment, adventure and wonder that lies ahead. Disney usually introduces their Guests by a warm welcome on Main Street U.S.A. This classic land was originally inspired by Walt E. Disney's hometown of Marceline, Missouri and represented the idealized turn-of-the-20th-Century American town. It served as a smooth transition from our own reality into this new Disney reality by recreating a carefree and nostalgic time. This classic image of Main Street U.S.A. can be found at Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort (although this version also implements New England influences and is inspired by The Lady and The Tramp animated classic), Disneyland Resort Paris(although this version includes the Liberty and Discovery Arcades and varies a bit from the original Disneyland buildings) and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort(although this version is more inspired by European immigrants). However, over the years we have seen a couple of variations of these opening lands. In Tokyo Disneyland, for instance, we have World Bazaar. It is covered by a Victorian-styled roof that shields Guests from the Japanese weather conditions, although in terms of style when it comes to the buildings still remains quite true to the original American architecture. The most interesting version of the opening land was brought to Shanghai in 2016, Mickey Avenue. This land, inspired by Disney characters such as Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, The Three Little Pigs, Remy, Lady and the Tramp and Dumbo. It retells the story of Walt Disney and how it all started with a mouse. Now every other park has an opening land as well and isn't always organized in a street. This is why we have Front Lot, Oasis, Mediterranean Harbor, Hollywood Boulevard, Future World and Buena Vista Street.
1542599596264.png
When Disneyland Paris was still in it's design phase, it wasn't going to receive the classic turn-of-the-20th-Century American town theme, but instead take place in the 1920s. This was done to appeal to the European audience, which wasn't familiar with the nostalgic memories from the turn of the century, but were familiar with jazz music, speakeasies and motor cars. This concept was always an interesting one and would probably have been a better option for the Disneyland Castle park in Paris. Unfortunately, it was left unused and therefore I chose to revive it in the Neverland series. Serving as the Hello, Welcome to this park, The Disneyland hotel shines with pride. Inspired by Disneyland Paris' current hotel, hiding the rest of the park behind its structure, this version actually will be bigger and is almost part of Main Street U.S.A. in a similar way to how MiraCosta is part of Mediterranean Harbor at Tokyo DisneySEA. The Main Street Train Station is the first thing you'll see after passing under the hotel. In style it would be similar to Walt Disney World's train station, but would actually feature a display in the Terminal building containing a model railroad layout of the park with running trains in a dazzling night scene. A graphics gallery of railroad poster art from such famous railroads as the 20 Century Limited, Baltimore and Ohio, and the Golden Spike Ceremony would decorate the walls of the Terminal Building. As Guests walk through the tunnels underneath the Train Station, they will pass by a number of posters portraying some of the park's most popular attractions.
1542599726472.png
From here we would find the plaza and walk right down the middle of Main Street U.S.A. or its arcades. Each building would represent a personality of an immigrant to the United States. An elevated tram ride runs along the facades of on one side of the street. After reaching the station in Discovery Bay(spoilers, there is going to be a Discovery Bay), it would return to the heart of the park and pass by a diorama based on Jules Verne. The elevated train station which looks just like the one in the movie "Hello Dolly!" is set on Town Square at a 45° angle. This allows one block of Main Street to also be positioned that way as well. The Emporium is to be in that block behind the El Train Station so exiting guests would be let out into the upper floor of the store and trickle down. Other forms of transportation would be the Motorcars, the Main Street Limo and the Trolleys. The Gas Station is to be where the Firehouse is currently located in Disneyland Paris. The reason there is a Filling Station in the project is because of the transition from horse-drawn streetcar to automobile which had already been made and the automobile had won. The station would be straight out of the early 20s. A service bay, holding a period vehicle as a museum piece, ala Valentino's Dusenberg or Bonnie and Clyde's Car would contribute to enhancing the theme of the area. Also on the plaza would be the City Hall. This facility is the meeting place of the Head of State, world leaders and other VIPs that receive keys to the park. In the Grand Rotunda Guests can orient themselves in a 360 degrees mural of the park that represents your view from the Hub of the park. An information desk offers help and inquiry about the park.
1542599764659.png
When it comes to restaurants and refreshment, there would be plenty of choices around the area. The Nighthawk Diner is inspired by the painting by Edward Hopper with the same name. It is the quintessential Burger place, complete with juke box, stainless steel, cherry cokes and shoestring fries. A walk-up counter outside would augment the indoor counters and booths. There always seems to be a police car with flashing lights on parked in front of Capone's Jazz Club. ''Live Jazz!'' boldly emblazones on the canopy that extends from the Brownstone façade. As we enter the opulent foyer, the host motions us toward a bigger than life portrait of Big Al, and we wait. All of a sudden, the entire wall begins to move and we are thrust into a lavish Hollywood style deco nightclub, with Jazz blaring and cigarette girls roaming the room. Corks are popping and dinner is served. Even occasional police raids end the show. Run by Al Capone's honest brother at the Sicilian Deli. This is where you can find Chicago deep dish pizza, Sicilian Style. A bit of Italy in Chicago. Guests can listen in to the Capone brothers secret discussions with the police, tipping off locations of speakeasys and other operations on the party line phones. Inside the Main Street buildings, on the second floor would be the 20th Century Limited Lounge, a luxury lounge similar to Club 33 but based on the famous locomotive. Windows would use a similar technique as the Hogwarts Express to simulate the feeling of actually riding the train and equal the comfort and luxury of the European orient express.
1542599986247.png
At the Cone Shop, Guests can treat themselves to handmade cones and ice creams. Nearby, the Boulangerie would be open and owned by a French immigrant. Photos of Paris and his French homeland in 1910, pictures of New York and the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the first New York Bakery are featured on the walls of the seating area. A coffee counter and seating adjoins this space. The coffee room would be operated by his Swiss partner. The Candy Store would like the interior of a 1920s SEE's, all white with deco fixtures. A horseshoe shaped lattice seating area looks into a bandstand and dance area. This Beer and Wine Garden would be ideal for summer dancing or winter skating performances viewed from the connecting weather corridor. Then there are the retail attractions. The Nickelodeon Arcade would feature band organs and vintage mutoscope machines which recall the simple entertainments had for a nickel. Silent heroes such as Charlie Chaplin, Michael Keaton, Lloyd, Valentino and Theda Bara would be featured. The deco camera on the exterior of the Darkroom indicates that this the place to stock up on film, etc. even a photography collection of Paris. Sid Cahuenga, Talent Agent claims he can make anyone a STAR, and put your face on the cover of any period fan magazine, or have a period soft focus portrait done as they were in the 20s, to look ''marvelous''.
1542599800202.png
The hobby shop would combine memorabilia and photos related to Walt Disney's story and his interests. The store would be designed adjoining the Opera House so it is integrated into the Walt Disney Story, a gallery and show which is a complete tribute to Walt and his company, featuring an audio animatronic show on the scale of The American Adventure. Claude's Neon is a shop related to custom neon signs. A Glass Blower creates neon art in front of the eyes of Guests. Fine jewelry and china can be found at Manhattan Jewelers. Winning entries from international China design competitions will be featured. The jewelry collection will be on display as traveling exhibit. The most popular store is the Grand Emporium. This version would be a Hollywood like deco ultramodern department store with two stories of unique merchandise augmented with Disney clothing etc. Disney and Company features Disney clothing and Disney artists designing sweatshirts while you watch. In period animation studio setting, animation cells and period toys would also be for sale. Part of the Emporium would be the Card Shop. It features Hollywood and Disney postcards. At the One of a Kind shop Guests would find a wide variety of collectible American merchandise on high value. Coca Cola machines, Juke boxes, period toys, animated displays etc. The Stage Door Costume Company located next to the Main Street Movie Theater features hats for sale and its costumes are utilized in the adjoining photo studio. Photos of famous actors and actresses getting fitted etc. with endearing autographs to the owner are scattered throughout. Inside the Movie Theater you would have the nostalgic cinema experience with show scenes set around you of little kids meddling around, a couple kissing behind the curtains and the projectionist embracing his Valentino impression. Marconi's Radio, a store dedicated to the 20s fascination with radio would feature period radios line the walls with new portable walk arounds and high-tech devices in the glass cases below.
1542600019297.png

Attachments

• 1542599948779.png
    1542599948779.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 223

orlando678-

Original Poster
Series: Dubai Disney Resort
Imagining what a future Disney theme park resort might look like, located in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. This is based on current Disney theme park trends, Dubai’s growing entertainment offer and the unofficial concept for a Disney resort in Dubai.
Episode 1: Replacing a classic land
1542681806743.png

Currently we have 6 Disney theme park resorts worldwide, located in Anaheim, Orlando, Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong and the most recent addition to the Disney empire, Shanghai Disney Resort. Where to next? There are many possible contenders when it comes to future Disney resorts like Sydney, Rio de Janeiro, Mumbai, Beijing, Singapore and for instance, Dubai. The demand for amusement and leisure has been growing and continues to grow rapidly as tourism is soaring in the United Arab Emirates. One of the most recent additions, Warner Bros World Abu Dhabi has proven to be quite successful and the country doesn’t see the growth stagnate anywhere in the coming years. With a development that is similar to theme park capital, Orlando Florida, Disney might actually want to look into their options for expanding their empire here in the Middle East (if the right decisions can be made to promote cooperation between Disney and the United Arab government). That’s why in this series, we will dive into the possibilities of building a Disney themed resort in Dubai.
1542681876180.png
What I am going to attempt when going through this resort is to use as many concepts that Disney hasn’t proposed before to create a unique perspective on the resort. What will be key in this project, is taking a close look at how Disney constructed Shanghai Disney Resort. When analyzing that resort’s design it is obvious that there’s a prominent presence of popular Disney IP and a certain influence of the host country’s culture. So why is this episode called ‘’replacing a classic land’’? The original Disneyland layout consists out of 5 lands, Fantasyland, Frontierland, Adventureland, Tomorrowland and Main Street U.S.A. Now, over the years we have seen additions of new lands to this line-up. These are Critter Country, New Orleans Square, Toontown, (the extinct Mickey’s Toontown Fair), Toy Story Land, Mystic Point, Liberty Square, Treasure Cove and the upcoming Star Wars ~ Galaxy’s Edge. Not only have we seen additions, but also complete replacements like at Disneyland Paris where the high-tech futuristic world of Tomorrowland is instead represented by the world of visionaries in Discoveryland, the future that never was or the representation of Frontierland at Hong Kong Disneyland by opening Grizzly Gulch. At Shanghai Disney Resort, we saw a complete elimination of one of these classic lands, Frontierland.
If a Disney theme park resort would ever be built in Dubai, I believe that Frontierland would not be part of the line-up. Frontierland is simply too much based on the nostalgic feelings for American heritage and is most likely just too irrelevant for growing supercultures in our modern age. China not only is a growing culture, but also has a terrible history hidden in the 19th Century and the growth of railroad culture. These are a few of the reasons why there is an absence of celebratory symbols of American culture and a railroad system at the resort. Even in the unofficial concept art for a resort in Dubai, a Frontierland was lacking from the plans and I’m actually not questioning the likeliness we might never see a full build-out Frontierland in a future Disney resort outside the States again. So, what do I think could possibly replace the classic Frontierland we have all learned to love in our childhood? I believe the answer lies in Pixar. Not only has the presence of Pixar IP in the theme parks been growing, its popularity and relevance has been growing ever so fast with it in the current years. Especially, when looking at countries which have developed and grown rich quite fast over the last few years and therefore more familiar with modern Disney and Disney Pixar IP, I believe Pixar has become more famous than a classic character like Pinocchio would be in the Middle-East. Now I don’t believe theme parks should rely on the one-film one-land formula forever and that’s why I believe a Pixar Playland would be a perfect replacement for Frontierland in a future Dubai Disney Resort.
1542681935691.png
But, what would we find in such a Pixar Playland? I think it would be best to not only represent Pixar’s IP well in such a land, but also base the layout and line-up of the land on what we would miss in the park from Frontierland’s absence. For main attractions, this would be a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Splash Mountain and for smaller experiences, this would be the riverboat, the explorer canoes and the shootin’ gallery. Now especially when looking at these smaller experiences, their relevance in a theme park can be questioned, but a log flume ride and a mad Wild West mine train ride are actually quite popular options for a theme park like this. Therefore I looked at options for this Pixar Playland and especially when it comes to replacing Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, I quickly came to terms with an idea including Toy Story. Does anyone recall the opening scene from Toy Story 3? Well, basically what happens here is that we are immersed in this short scene in which Hamm, Slinky, the green aliens, Mr. and Mrs. Potatohead and the monkeys cooperate to steal money from a Wild Western locomotive while Buzz, Jessie, Rex, Bullseye and Woody try to stop them. I believe something like this could perfectly set the tone of Dubai Disney’s Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
1542682175897.png
In Toy Story: The Great Train Chase, Guests board a toy locomotive and race through one of Andy’s imagined scenes. This modern spin on a classic ride would include impressive state-of-the-art show scenes featuring advanced audio animatronic figures and out-of-this-world special effects. As you race through this mountainous toy set, you’ll encounter many of your favorite Toy Story characters. Although, I mentioned the opening scene from Toy Story 3, I wouldn’t directly copy the story of that scene and bring that to life in this attraction, but instead loosely base it on that scene. This attraction could be one of the most awarded rides in the world if it manages to entertain and thrill all the while telling an immersive story as you pass by various scenes using new high-tech rollercoaster techniques as will also be used in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy rollercoaster at Epcot.
1542682369606.png
I also mentioned the lack of a Splash Mountain at the park. Now it’s not that a Disney park necessarily needs a certain ride to function well, but I feel like specific attractions are always missed if they’re not part of an attraction line-up. Splash Mountain is, like attractions such as the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain, part of these specific attractions. Especially, since it’s a log flume ride which I believe is a must for most theme parks, in particular when a park has little to no water rides (cough cough Disneyland Resort Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland). Now this might be a weird, yet somewhat obvious choice, but I believe Finding Nemo would actually be a perfect theme for a Splash Mountain type ride. So imagine boarding this Nemo’s Undersea Misadventure attraction and pass by immersive show scenes based on Finding Nemo and Finding Dory. I imagine the majority of the ride to be indoors like Crush Coaster and Splash Mountain itself, but possibly have an outdoor climax drop similar to the drop down Chickapee Hill. Now what could this outdoor drop possibly be themed to if the franchise mainly takes place undersea. Hmmm…imagine seaside rocks on which seagulls are planted screaming ‘’mine, mine, mine!’’ every few minutes, possibly including a shipwreck or a wreck of submarine to include Bruce and his crew of friendly sharks. Our story could have a strong current, strong wave, shark attack or whale encounter to blow us to the top of these rocks and down with a splash into a spectacular finale featuring Nemo and his friends. Not trying to be too specific, because this is also very much based on wondering what a park like this could be like.
1542682519733.png
Other ideas for attractions are based on popularity. I believe Monsters Inc. offers an interesting opportunity to add to the line-up of this Pixar land. Monsters Inc. has probably had one of the most popular theme park demands over the last couple of years, a laugh floor door coaster. And that is exactly what I want to realize in this imaginary Disney resort. A Disney theme park always tries to capture certain strong memories or feelings that are awakened in their movies. One of the most well-known scenes in Monsters Inc. is the scene in which Sully and Mike are trying to find Boo’s door while battling with Randall. In The Quest for Boo’s Door we are informed that for some strange reason, Boo has been seen wandering around the world of monsters. Now it’s time for you to help your favorite monster duo to find her and get her back to her own human world. Now I imagine this would be another family coaster type ride, but somewhat a combination in thrill of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Tron Lightcycle Power Run.
1542683463834.png
What else? Well what about The Incredibles? Even though the Incredibles proves popular enough for a themed attraction, I think it would actually be really cool to have an indoor stunt show dedicated to the widely loved family of supers. For reference, I’d imagine this to be somewhat similar to the Marvel stunt show that could be found at Walt Disney Studios Parc in Paris for the Summer of Heroes, but well-organized and technologically advanced to completely blow away the crowds. Possibly even implementing a randomized system in which the characters face different super villains, to give Guests a reason to come back. Additionally I believe a Lightning McQueen Racers’ Academy attraction would represent another one of Pixar’s most popular franchises at this park. This wouldn’t be the upcoming Hollywood Studios attraction, but instead more of a modern interactive and trackless Autopia/ family Radiator Springs Racers type of ride in which Guests are taught how to become superfast and smart but honest racers.
1542683582878.png
What would an area like this be without retail or dining options? Exactly, nothing! Therefore this Dubai Disney Resort would offer extraordinary options for Guests to purchase a souvenir or dine in an immersive, yet relaxing setting. Something that totally screams Pixar and can’t be missed, is Pizza Planet, but of course actually done right and not like the past attempts by Disney to open a restaurant under the same name. And if there are some other Pixar locations we would like to dine at, it would be Gusteau’s, Harryhausen’s, The Bug Bar and Flo’s V8 Café. Another few ideas for dining options would be Presto’s based on the Pixar short, The Lava Lounge based on the short film about two volcanoes who fall in love(imagine something like Trader Sam's Grog Grotto), and Hacienda del Coco, a Mexican restaurant with live music based on the popular addition to the Pixar family. Other fun details and references to Pixar shorts could be a shop named after Knick Knack, a jumping lamp who rolls on a peculiar ball on a rooftop or a small audio animatronic display of ‘’For the Birds’’. Maybe far-fetched, but to still have some sort explorer canoes type ride, wouldn’t it be cool to have a trackless boat ride based after Pixar’s La Luna to float around the waters and enter a building for an impressive show scene based on the short’s fantastic visuals, ala Voyage to the Crystal Grotto meets Aquatopia meets Explorer Canoes.
1542682863399.png
Besides Knick Knack, this area could feature some other cool shops like Edna’s, based after the fabulous designer from The Incredibles movie series. Or what about Al’s Toy Barn from Toy Story 2? Another good example would be the Radiator Springs Curios shop from the Cars movies. And this doesn’t even mention the possibilities of character meet and greets yet. Just imagine bumping into Wall-E rolling over the streets, having a laugh with Mater or come face to face with Riley’s inner emotions. There could even be a mini Pixar-Play parade, but preferably more entertaining and well-themed instead of just a cheap and easy dance party sort of thing. So what do you think? What could replace Frontierland in a new Disney resort in Dubai when considering modern Disney decisions in theme parks? Could it be a Pixar Playland and if so, what do you think could and should be present in an area like that?

Attachments

• 1542682619418.png
    1542682619418.png
    415.3 KB · Views: 239

orlando678-

Original Poster
Series: Disneyland Down Under ~ What Might Have Been
Analyzing the plans that were discussed in the 90s to build a so called ‘Disney Wharf’ at Sydney Harbour. It was a project that not only included classic Disney elements for the time, but also themed hotels, a marina and ferry wharf, two new light-rail stations, a retail space, an entertainment quarter and a residential development. In this series we will look at what might have been if Disney did create Disneyland Down Under and how it might have developed throughout the years.

Episode 1: Dedicated To The Land Down Under
1542838914650.png

We travel back in time, the year is 2001 and Disney had opened a theme park resort in Sydney after the Australian government had offered them an opportunity to use the developments which were made for the 2000s Sydney Olympic Games. The infrastructure that was constructed for that large event was Disney’s perfect chance to connect these developments to their newest addition to the worldwide Disney family, Disneyland Resort Sydney. The most attractive feature of the resort, Disneyland Sydney has proven to be quite successful, even though the results in Europe are rather disappointing. Australia has become a Disney center between North America and Asia and attracts many dedicated fans. Not only does the park offer classic Disney attractions, it even features whole new themed areas. These new areas were designed to appeal to a new audience, the Australian people. One of the classic lands has received a whole new name and theme at this resort. Say goodbye to Frontierland, but say hi to the Badlands, a nickname for Australia’s rough outback and wilderness. Now most of the things I’m going to mention in this post are based on actual concepts which were discussed for the Sydney Disney Resort back in the 90s.
1542839329148.png
After Tokyo Disneyland opened Westernland at their resort, Disney started looking at how this classic category of Disney themes could possibly be integrated in an Australian theme park. By taking a closer look at Australian culture and nature, imagineers found a rich and interesting history left in the Australian outback. The Badlands will be similar to Frontierland in a way, but won’t actually take place back in time. It is based on what the Australian wild is right now. The land is therefore a representation of modern living in the badlands, yet very much connected with the stories from the past. One of the main e-ticket attractions in this area would by the Adventure Over Auz. This would be an exciting filmic journey past the most interesting highlights and natural wonders found in Australia. This attraction would be very much like Soarin’ Over California, an opening day attraction at Disney California Adventure on February 8, 2001. Because of the fact that this attraction did not exist before this time, it would have been quite revolutionary, incorporating OMNIMAX visual screens, an inverted paraglide track and special effects like scents and wind effects to create an immersive flight past all the must-see’s of Australia.
1542839525375.png
Another popular attraction would be The Killamalong Mine Train ride. You should see this as Disneyland Sydney’s Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Guests would receive a tour of the legendary Killamalong coal mines. During a pre-show, an old miner tells them of the terrible history of the mines. A hundred years ago, a terrible earthquake killed around 40 men in a shaft that was known as section number 5. After the horrifying incident, the shaft was sealed and cursed with the name ‘Devil’s Hole’. It is believed that angry natural spirits or Gods had caused the events and that the tunnels are still haunted by the lost miners. After reaching your station, you will board a converted coal mine train that leads you through the tunnels, past the sealed off section 5. However, strange noises and eerie shadows can be seen as your train ascends. Suddenly the mine train drops in reverse and into the haunted tunnels for an exciting, yet thrilling ride around the Badland rocks and mines, all while passing by scenes in which paranormal activity can be witnessed. Therefore, The Killamalong Mine Train ride not only serves as the park’s Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, but will also be very similar to the Expedition Everest rollercoaster, which will have made its debut until after 5 years (January 26, 2006).
1542839872186.png
An attraction that is dedicated to Australian’s Aborgine mythology can be found hidden away in the caves of the Badland Rocks. Alchera, is a dark boat ride similar to Pooh’s Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland (which opened in 2001) and the recently opened Na’vi River Journey. Guests board mini off-road vehicles outdoors. You pass by some of Australia’s characteristic wildlife and eventually start moving into a small cave at the base of the rocks. Once inside, odd lighting, noises and music begins. Suddenly, a big rock wall opens to reveal a path towards a glowing chamber which then leads you on a trek through the dreamtime of Australian aborigine mythology. It includes appearances of the Bunyip, but mainly explains the mythology behind Uluru and the other hidden secrets of Australia. You’ll travel back in time to explore the prehistoric form of Australia, cruise down the rushing rivers and even drop down waterfalls to eventually return to the modern day with an insight of the mysteries of Australia.
1542840025839.png
If you’re here to explore the wildlife of the Australian outback and bush, hop aboard the Outback Jeep Tours attraction. This ride will be quite similar to Jungle Cruise and Kilimanjaro Safaris. What happens, is that Guests board safari jeeps and pass by a combination of Animal Kingdom-like animal reservoirs and pre-programmed scenes with audio animatronic figures, special effects and obstacles along the way. During the ride you’ll not only come face to face with Australia’s wild inhabitants, but also race on an off-road adventure, cross a rickety bridge, escape a crocodile attack and even discover mysterious secret caves. Imagine this ride type to be somewhat similar to Kong: Skull Island at Islands of Adventure and Indiana Jones Adventure, using the EMV system.
1542840335182.png
After exploring all these exciting rides and attractions, it is definitely time to get some rest, grab some food and refresh yourself with a drink. One of the most popular places to do so is The Dreamy Dingo, an Australian roadside restaurant, inside a small wooden cabin that serves typical Australian specialties. For the real badland carnivores, visit The Ol Cobber Cookout and try some of their special BBQ meals, even…kangaroo. The Bush Tucker Cabin serves food found in the Outback such as witchety grubs. However, if you’re here for the full experience, dine at The Outback Revue (yes, it was actually going to be called that way). Now this will actually be quite similar to the Diamond Horseshoe Revue in Frontierland, but more of an Australian parody/version of it. During your meal, enjoy a high spirited dance and song show, that is interrupted by three stockmen who are taking shelter inside the ‘’saloon’’ to hide from the cops.
1542840635076.png
Besides dining options, there are also two shops where Guests can purchase their Badlands memorabilia. One of them is Nigel’s Survival Shack, a small shop owned by Nigel, an Australian survivalist and adventurer of the Outback. He sells all you need to safely complete your conquest in the rough conditions of the outback. The other shop is the Straight outta Straya shop, selling souvenirs, trinkets, license plates, key chains, mugs, boomerangs and didgeridoos. If we move towards the park’s Adventureland, we first find an area dedicated to the Australian Bush. Here, you can find Platypus Falls, an Aquatopia type of attraction in which Guests board raft and swirl around a small natural pond while encountering audio animatronic platypus figures. In the queue, however, you will pass by a platypus reservoir. This attraction, would again be opened prior to the attraction that it is similar to, Aquatopia, which opened on September 4th in 2001. That would mean that this land would feature 3 or 4 groundbreaking and impressive state-of-the-art attractions for the time. So what do you think of these plans for an Australian Disney resort? And what would you think would be good options for the rest of the park/resort? (do keep in mind, the year is still 2001, franchises like Marvel, Frozen, Tangled and Big Hero 6 don’t exist yet and attractions like the seven dwarfs mine train, Crush coaster, Mystic Manor and Tron lightcycle power run were far from even being designed yet).

orlando678-

Original Poster
Series: To The Things We Lost

An analysis of extinct Disney theme park concepts and how these concepts could be revived and inspire a modern theme park.

Episode 1: The Most Magical Of Them All
1542937775629.png

Disneyland opened in Anaheim in 1955. Over the years we have seen many attractions, shows, restaurants and shops come and go. Some of them are more missed than others, but what would happen if we would build a park consisting of all these lost concepts? Well, the most magical land of them all, Fantasyland would be a part of this lost world. I believe we better start with the land that owes us our weenie, the castle. Every park is known to have one, just think of Spaceship Earth, The Tree of Life, Mount Prometheus and Enchanted Storybook Castle. We haven’t lost many of these weenies in history, but our park’s weenie is Hong Kong Disneyland’s Sleeping Beauty Castle. This version is nearly identical to the one in Anaheim, however the two can be differentiated through very subtle details. Currently, the castle is undergoing reconstruction and will reopen in 2020 as Princesses Castle and become much more similar to Shanghai Disney’s Castle. Inside the castle, we will find a lost walkthrough based on the original Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough in Anaheim, which opened in 1957. The dioramas were illustrations matching the style of the Sleeping Beauty film and featured effects like goons hiding behind doors and Maleficent’s shadow appearing on the wall as if she was coming around the corner.
1542937947271.png
As you pass through the castle, you’ll find yourself in a medieval European village, combining the classic medieval tents and the newer village buildings that can be found in Fantasylands across the globe. On your left, you will find the Princess Boutique, which could be found at Disneyland from 1997 until 2005. It was somewhat similar to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, but didn’t offer the complete make-over transformations. Connected to the Boutique is the Castle Heraldry Shoppe which only closed last year. Ever wondered whether or not your family has its own coat of arm? Visitors to the Castle Heraldry Shoppe had the chance to find out. On your right, you will find the Castle Mystery Tour. This was a walkthrough attraction at Tokyo Disneyland that ran from 1986 to 2006. Taking place inside the castle, Guests are supposed to take a tour of the castle. Upon entering the attraction, the tour guide leads guests into the gallery and begins talking about Disney’s heroes and heroines.
1542938077077.png
Suddenly, the Magic Mirror appears, feeling insulted by the villains being put down and explains that no hero is complete without a villain. To see how strong the Guests are in challenging the forces of evil, the Mirror opens a secret door containing a passageway to a dark stairway that leads to a concealed underground area of the castle. Entering the Witch’s laboratory, a book with a recipe for a poisoned apple is found. The crow from the movie and the witch’s shadow on the wall create an eerie feeling. The Magic Mirror tricks the guests by inversely reflecting directions and the guests are confronted by a mummified ghost and cells with skeletons. A scene featuring Chernabog comes up next, utilizing footage from Fantasia to show him summoning the spirits at Bald Mountain. Suddenly, Maleficent’s goons appear everywhere. Guests see Maleficent’s castle on the Forbidden Mountains with the evil fairy herself sending lightning bolts down towards Guests and thorn thickets reaching down to them. A talking skull and crossbones warns Guests for the trouble ahead as they enter a treasure-filled cave with a sleeping dragon resting inside. The grand finale features a battle between a brave guest and the Horned King from the Black Cauldron.
1542938139382.png
The village opens up and we see King Triton’s Carousel of the Sea that was once found at Disney California Adventure. Unlike the traditional horse arrangement of a carousel, this carousel features sea horses, flying fish, whales, dolphins, sea lions, otters and garibaldis. Surrounding the carousel is King Triton’s Garden featuring the original water feature and the nearby Ariel’s Grotto restaurant and meet and greet. The restaurant gives Guests the opportunity to dine as Ariel visits your table. The menu features American, healthy selections and vegetarian cuisine. Behind the garden we see Pirates’ Cove and Skull Rock which were lost in 1982. This scenic lagoon featuring several waterfalls, a massive pirate ship and an adjacent quick service restaurant inspired by the 1953 film Peter Pan has returned once more. Dine at the Chicken of the Sea Restaurant or buy your Peter Pan memorabilia at the Captain Hook’s Galley shop which closed in 1989. The Tinker Bell Toy Shoppe has also returned from being extinct and looks better than ever.
1542938306863.png
Also nearby is The Old Mill attraction based on the original Les Pirouetes du Vieux Moulin attraction at Disneyland Paris that closed in 2000. The attraction is a ferris wheel taking the form of a bucket system attached to the main windmill. The ride’s problems with capacity and experience would be improved so that the attraction would operate longer than it did at Disneyland Paris, since it is actually a beautiful and cute addition to the land, even though people easily walk past it nowadays. The mill is connected to Pooh’s Playful Spot. Themed after the Hundred Acre Woods, it offers features for kids including spurting fountains of water, crawl-through logs and honey pots, a slide, a treehouse for climbing and log-style benches for grown-ups. From time to time your favorite friends from the Hundred Acre Woods come to join the fun and will be ready to meet and greet Guests as they enjoy their stay in Fantasyland.
1542938449438.png
A must visit is Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride which closed at Walt Disney World in 1998 to make way for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. This version of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride featured two tracks. These two tracks did not pass through all of the same show scenes. Thus, each track gave riders an almost completely different set of scenes to pass through. Like its counterpart at Disneyland, it was not a thrill ride, but did feature sudden turns and the vehicles would move at full speed towards certain obstacles, but dodge them at the very last second. The right side would let guest pass through the library of toad hall first. After breaking out, they would pass through a barnyard, coming face to face with a sheep, a pig and a couple of cows along the way. Passing through a tunnel, Guests would find themselves on a central plaza, passing by a policeman and then turning into the courtroom, where the judge would declare us guilty. After winding through the cells, guests emerged out into the Shireland, crossing a railroad, but get hit by an approaching train and end up in the Hell scene. The left track passes by Toad’s trophy room, a kitchen and a Gypsy camp after the boarding area. Instead of entering the courtroom, Guests crash into Mr. Winky’s Pub. They then pass by Ratty’s House and then also end up on the train tracks where they will be hit by a speeding locomotive.
1542938651173.png
What about another lost classic? Walt Disney World’s Snow White’s Scary Adventures. Now, this version would actually be a combination of the latest closed version at Walt Disney World and the pre-altered version at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, which arguably was more frightening. Guests board vehicles which are much more similar to the mine carts from the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and begin their ride in the Queen’s courtyard where Snow White is seen working outside. The Queen watches her from her window. Inside the castle, we pass by the Queen herself who transforms into an old hag. The ride continues into the forest where the Huntsman tells Snow White to run away as we pass by creepy shadowy tree monsters. In the Dwarfs’ cottage, we join Snow White and the dwarfs in a yodel dance party. The scene suddenly turns very tense as we pass by Snow White accepting an apple offered by an old hag, the wicked witch. From there, guests ride through the mines where a million diamonds shine. As we emerge from the mine, we witness the dwarfs trying to stop the queen as she tries to crush us with a large rock. In the end, you’ll see Prince Ferdinand waking up Snow White and eventually waving their goodbye at the dwarfs and the Guests. Since, this is not just a copy and paste park, the audio animatronics and effects will be super modern and advanced, on the level of attractions such as Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Frozen Ever After.
1542939542043.png
Our last attraction in Fantasyland is a lost Epcot attraction, Maelstrom, which would easily blend in with the European village facades. Riders depart from a dock traveling in a traditionally Norwegian wooden carved boat. A voice tells riders that those who seek the spirit of Norway face peril and adventure, but more often find beauty and charm. Arriving at the top of the hill, a lit face reassembling Odin, the Germanic Father of the Gods hovers above. Riders then pass through scenes of seafarers and maritime villages depicting a mythological version of Norway’s Viking days. They would then come face to face with Nokken and a three-headed troll casting a spell on their ship, sanding them back over the waterfall. The boats pass by polar bears and living trees, before coming to a stop on the edge of another waterfall. This version of the ride would not feature the oil rig scene and would be longer than the original version, with additional scenes focusing on Germanic gods and other mythological creatures from Scandinavia.
1542939706534.png
Inside a medieval Parisian theatre, we will discover that The Hunchback of Notre Dame: A Musical Adventure has returned to our line-up of Disney experiences. The show follows the script of the original animated feature pretty closely as it traces the life of the orphaned and half-shaped Quasimodo. Despite the efforts of the cold, self-righteous Judge Claude Frollo, the bell-ringer eventually finds freedom through his relationship with the beautiful gypsy Esmeralda and the captain of the guard, Phoebus. The show features uplifting musical numbers from the film, vibrant costumes, innovative and expressive puppets and a healthy helping of special effects. Some restaurants and shops that can be found around the area are The Enchanted Cottage Sweets and Treats, Geppetto’s Arts and Crafts and Merlin’s Magic Shop. So what would you bring back to the land of extinction in the Disneyverse and how could these attractions be made interesting to our modern audience?
1542939804145.png

Suchomimus

Series: To The Things We Lost

An analysis of extinct Disney theme park concepts and how these concepts could be revived and inspire a modern theme park.

Episode 1: The Most Magical Of Them All
View attachment 327607

Disneyland opened in Anaheim in 1955. Over the years we have seen many attractions, shows, restaurants and shops come and go. Some of them are more missed than others, but what would happen if we would build a park consisting of all these lost concepts? Well, the most magical land of them all, Fantasyland would be a part of this lost world. I believe we better start with the land that owes us our weenie, the castle. Every park is known to have one, just think of Spaceship Earth, The Tree of Life, Mount Prometheus and Enchanted Storybook Castle. We haven’t lost many of these weenies in history, but our park’s weenie is Hong Kong Disneyland’s Sleeping Beauty Castle. This version is nearly identical to the one in Anaheim, however the two can be differentiated through very subtle details. Currently, the castle is undergoing reconstruction and will reopen in 2020 as Princesses Castle and become much more similar to Shanghai Disney’s Castle. Inside the castle, we will find a lost walkthrough based on the original Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough in Anaheim, which opened in 1957. The dioramas were illustrations matching the style of the Sleeping Beauty film and featured effects like goons hiding behind doors and Maleficent’s shadow appearing on the wall as if she was coming around the corner.
As you pass through the castle, you’ll find yourself in a medieval European village, combining the classic medieval tents and the newer village buildings that can be found in Fantasylands across the globe. On your left, you will find the Princess Boutique, which could be found at Disneyland from 1997 until 2005. It was somewhat similar to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, but didn’t offer the complete make-over transformations. Connected to the Boutique is the Castle Heraldry Shoppe which only closed last year. Ever wondered whether or not your family has its own coat of arm? Visitors to the Castle Heraldry Shoppe had the chance to find out. On your right, you will find the Castle Mystery Tour. This was a walkthrough attraction at Tokyo Disneyland that ran from 1986 to 2006. Taking place inside the castle, Guests are supposed to take a tour of the castle. Upon entering the attraction, the tour guide leads guests into the gallery and begins talking about Disney’s heroes and heroines.
Suddenly, the Magic Mirror appears, feeling insulted by the villains being put down and explains that no hero is complete without a villain. To see how strong the Guests are in challenging the forces of evil, the Mirror opens a secret door containing a passageway to a dark stairway that leads to a concealed underground area of the castle. Entering the Witch’s laboratory, a book with a recipe for a poisoned apple is found. The crow from the movie and the witch’s shadow on the wall create an eerie feeling. The Magic Mirror tricks the guests by inversely reflecting directions and the guests are confronted by a mummified ghost and cells with skeletons. A scene featuring Chernabog comes up next, utilizing footage from Fantasia to show him summoning the spirits at Bald Mountain. Suddenly, Maleficent’s goons appear everywhere. Guests see Maleficent’s castle on the Forbidden Mountains with the evil fairy herself sending lightning bolts down towards Guests and thorn thickets reaching down to them. A talking skull and crossbones warns Guests for the trouble ahead as they enter a treasure-filled cave with a sleeping dragon resting inside. The grand finale features a battle between a brave guest and the Horned King from the Black Cauldron.
The village opens up and we see King Triton’s Carousel of the Sea that was once found at Disney California Adventure. Unlike the traditional horse arrangement of a carousel, this carousel features sea horses, flying fish, whales, dolphins, sea lions, otters and garibaldis. Surrounding the carousel is King Triton’s Garden featuring the original water feature and the nearby Ariel’s Grotto restaurant and meet and greet. The restaurant gives Guests the opportunity to dine as Ariel visits your table. The menu features American, healthy selections and vegetarian cuisine. Behind the garden we see Pirates’ Cove and Skull Rock which were lost in 1982. This scenic lagoon featuring several waterfalls, a massive pirate ship and an adjacent quick service restaurant inspired by the 1953 film Peter Pan has returned once more. Dine at the Chicken of the Sea Restaurant or buy your Peter Pan memorabilia at the Captain Hook’s Galley shop which closed in 1989. The Tinker Bell Toy Shoppe has also returned from being extinct and looks better than ever.
Also nearby is The Old Mill attraction based on the original Les Pirouetes du Vieux Moulin attraction at Disneyland Paris that closed in 2000. The attraction is a ferris wheel taking the form of a bucket system attached to the main windmill. The ride’s problems with capacity and experience would be improved so that the attraction would operate longer than it did at Disneyland Paris, since it is actually a beautiful and cute addition to the land, even though people easily walk past it nowadays. The mill is connected to Pooh’s Playful Spot. Themed after the Hundred Acre Woods, it offers features for kids including spurting fountains of water, crawl-through logs and honey pots, a slide, a treehouse for climbing and log-style benches for grown-ups. From time to time your favorite friends from the Hundred Acre Woods come to join the fun and will be ready to meet and greet Guests as they enjoy their stay in Fantasyland.
A must visit is Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride which closed at Walt Disney World in 1998 to make way for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. This version of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride featured two tracks. These two tracks did not pass through all of the same show scenes. Thus, each track gave riders an almost completely different set of scenes to pass through. Like its counterpart at Disneyland, it was not a thrill ride, but did feature sudden turns and the vehicles would move at full speed towards certain obstacles, but dodge them at the very last second. The right side would let guest pass through the library of toad hall first. After breaking out, they would pass through a barnyard, coming face to face with a sheep, a pig and a couple of cows along the way. Passing through a tunnel, Guests would find themselves on a central plaza, passing by a policeman and then turning into the courtroom, where the judge would declare us guilty. After winding through the cells, guests emerged out into the Shireland, crossing a railroad, but get hit by an approaching train and end up in the Hell scene. The left track passes by Toad’s trophy room, a kitchen and a Gypsy camp after the boarding area. Instead of entering the courtroom, Guests crash into Mr. Winky’s Pub. They then pass by Ratty’s House and then also end up on the train tracks where they will be hit by a speeding locomotive.
What about another lost classic? Walt Disney World’s Snow White’s Scary Adventures. Now, this version would actually be a combination of the latest closed version at Walt Disney World and the pre-altered version at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, which arguably was more frightening. Guests board vehicles which are much more similar to the mine carts from the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and begin their ride in the Queen’s courtyard where Snow White is seen working outside. The Queen watches her from her window. Inside the castle, we pass by the Queen herself who transforms into an old hag. The ride continues into the forest where the Huntsman tells Snow White to run away as we pass by creepy shadowy tree monsters. In the Dwarfs’ cottage, we join Snow White and the dwarfs in a yodel dance party. The scene suddenly turns very tense as we pass by Snow White accepting an apple offered by an old hag, the wicked witch. From there, guests ride through the mines where a million diamonds shine. As we emerge from the mine, we witness the dwarfs trying to stop the queen as she tries to crush us with a large rock. In the end, you’ll see Prince Ferdinand waking up Snow White and eventually waving their goodbye at the dwarfs and the Guests. Since, this is not just a copy and paste park, the audio animatronics and effects will be super modern and advanced, on the level of attractions such as Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Frozen Ever After.
Our last attraction in Fantasyland is a lost Epcot attraction, Maelstrom, which would easily blend in with the European village facades. Riders depart from a dock traveling in a traditionally Norwegian wooden carved boat. A voice tells riders that those who seek the spirit of Norway face peril and adventure, but more often find beauty and charm. Arriving at the top of the hill, a lit face reassembling Odin, the Germanic Father of the Gods hovers above. Riders then pass through scenes of seafarers and maritime villages depicting a mythological version of Norway’s Viking days. They would then come face to face with Nokken and a three-headed troll casting a spell on their ship, sanding them back over the waterfall. The boats pass by polar bears and living trees, before coming to a stop on the edge of another waterfall. This version of the ride would not feature the oil rig scene and would be longer than the original version, with additional scenes focusing on Germanic gods and other mythological creatures from Scandinavia.
Inside a medieval Parisian theatre, we will discover that The Hunchback of Notre Dame: A Musical Adventure has returned to our line-up of Disney experiences. The show follows the script of the original animated feature pretty closely as it traces the life of the orphaned and half-shaped Quasimodo. Despite the efforts of the cold, self-righteous Judge Claude Frollo, the bell-ringer eventually finds freedom through his relationship with the beautiful gypsy Esmeralda and the captain of the guard, Phoebus. The show features uplifting musical numbers from the film, vibrant costumes, innovative and expressive puppets and a healthy helping of special effects. Some restaurants and shops that can be found around the area are The Enchanted Cottage Sweets and Treats, Geppetto’s Arts and Crafts and Merlin’s Magic Shop. So what would you bring back to the land of extinction in the Disneyverse and how could these attractions be made interesting to our modern audience?

Orlando678- is Randy Savage’s alter ego confirmed.

orlando678-

Original Poster
Series: Disneyland Paris ~ A New Generation

An analysis of Disneyland Resort Paris and the ways in which it might expand or could expand itself in the coming decades.

Episode 1: Un Monde De Visionnaires
1543012518689.png

Disneyland Resort Paris has always been the Disney resort I have personally been most familiar with, simply because I’m from the Netherlands and it is closest by. I always love visiting the resort, but since its opening it has received very mixed reactions, from very low ratings and disappointing visits to Guests being impressed by its beauty and theming. One of the resort’s strongest points is its version of Tomorrowland, Discoveryland. This land gives a retro-futuristic theme rather than following current discoveries and developments for the future. This has solved one of Tomorrowland’s biggest issues, the need to keep up with current developments to stay relevant and ‘’futuristic’’. It is inspired by European visionaries such as H.G. Wells, Leonardo da Vinci and most prominently, Jules Verne. Especially, now that the plans have been put down to make Walt Disney Studios Parc an obvious IP park, I believe Disney should be able to improve their cohesive theming in Parc Disneyland. This means that any distortions from Discoveryland’s theming could and should be removed to improve the logic and overall experience of this land.
1543012677489.png
From Disneyland Paris’ hub we move into this world of visionaries. On the sides of our path are metallic rock forms, on which water flows down into the ponds. From time to time, fire emerges from the metallic shapes as if the elements are conjured by these curious structures. A bronze and golden sphere holding Discoveryland’s title welcomes us into this realm of the park. On your left, Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast has been closed. I believe, even though unlikely, the ride becomes unnecessary once Walt Disney Studios Parc has received its complete transformation. In its’ place, War of the Worlds has opened. This attraction will be a shooting dark ride, thus similar to the ride it replaces. The attraction uses a modern omnimover system. The vehicles will be completely altered to the style of H.G. Wells’ classic story, The War of the Worlds. This science fiction was one of the earliest stories to detail a conflict between mankind and an extraterrestrial race. The facades will be altered to look like Victorian Steampunk buildings leading you into the queue, where the news is spreading that Earth has been invaded by this alien civilization and the people are looking for recruits to fight for Earth’s fate. The ride itself will be more similar to Shanghai Disneyland’s Buzz Lightyear Planet Rescue in which the omnimover and laser tag systems have been improved. Through a combination of screens, audio animatronics as well as other physical effects, Guests will be transported into this battle between Earth and the extraterrestrials. The gift shop that was found at the end of Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast will be used to expand the attraction’s length.
1543012782243.png
As you walk further, you’ll see the Orbitron. Pilot your very own spaceship high in the sky above Discoveryland amid a gleaming universe of orbiting planets. This ride will remain as it is. On the right, you will find Autopia. Jump in the driving seat and zoom around the colourful scenery in your very own car. The cars will be altered to become electric cars with lighting effects and an onboard audio system. The setting of the attraction will also receive improvements. Guests will now pass through tunnels and by dioramas and models of cities that were once thought to be the future, a showcase of the future that never was. The current billboards and theming will be maintained, but just to upgrade the overall experience I think it is best to add new interesting features to the attraction. This includes audio animatronics of household robots that somewhat look like the ones that were once found in Epcot’s Horizons.
1543013009109.png
One of the smaller experiences of the resort, often skipped or walked past by Guests is Les Mysteres de Nautilus. Currently, this is a walkthrough based on Jules Verne’s 20,000 leagues under the Sea. If I were Disney, I’d use the walkthrough as a queue for a new e-ticket attraction, Voyage to the Lost City. Take part in a mission to explore the fantastic undersea world aboard small submarines. In the attraction Guests will discover Captain Nemo’s logs about the myths of a sunken city called Atlantis, resting on the bottom of the ocean. Following the captain’s notes, we will form a crew to venture to the deepest depths of the oceans on a quest to find Atlantis. Guests will be assigned different tasks, similar to what is done in Mission: Space. Instead of this attraction being a simulation however, the Voyage to the Lost City actually puts Guests in mini-submarines styled after Jules Verne’s descriptions and passes by various scenes in which you will encounter aggressive sharks, a sea serpent, a giant whale, giant jellyfish, mysterious deep sea creatures and eventually find the lost city itself.
1543013090231.png
Considered the park’s first effective expansions, Space Mountain is our next attraction in need of attention. It is currently in its Hyperspace Mountain state, where it puts Guests in the middle of an outer space battle based on George Lucas’ Star Wars. Similar to what I mentioned about Toy Story before, I believe that once the Star Wars area in Walt Disney Studios Parc has been completed, Hyperspace Mountain and Star Tours become irrelevant in Discoveryland. Therefore, it gives Disney the chance to expand Discoveryland’s theme to Space Mountain. I would bring the De La Terre A La Lune theming that its first version had back. Space Mountain is easily one of the resort’s best and most iconic attractions and possibly the best attraction in Discoveryland. The fact that the land was based after Jules Verne, deserves a tribute in this attraction. Therefore, De La Terre A La Lune will launch Guests towards the moon through the Columbiad Cannon, built by The Baltimore Gun Club. During the ride, you will still pass by the impressive show sets and effects but instead themed to a Verne-esque vision of what space could be like. This includes a gigantic presence of the moon, based on ‘’The Trip to the Moon’’ movie from 1902 by George Melies.
1543013644011.png
Behind De La Terre A La Lune, a complete repurpose and redesign will be made of the area that currently hosts Mickey’s Philharmagic and Star Tours. Star Tours will be replaced with a mountainous area, similar to the volcano and rockwork at Tokyo DisneySEA’s Mysterious Island, but on a smaller scale. Replacing Star Tours will be Journey to the Center of the Earth. The building will maintain its simulator system, but instead of transporting you to this outer space ship, you will now board dig machines that are in style, similar to the vehicles from the ride in Tokyo. During the ride, Guests will join professor Otto Lidenbrock, his nephew Alex and their guide Hans into the Icelandic volcano Snaefellsjokull. During their descent they will encounter many adventures, including prehistoric animals and natural hazards, before eventually coming to the surface again. As opposed to the ride in Tokyo, this version will stay true and closer to Verne’s novel and its storyline. At the exit of the attraction, you will find the Underground Supplies store, selling Jules Verne and other Discoveryland souvenirs.
1543013769904.png
The other new attraction in this area will be The Time Machine. This attraction will take place in a Victorian mansion, which looks quite abandoned. Inside, however, Guests will meet the world that was created by H.G. Wells as they board time machines and travel back in time to different time periods and witness all kinds of wonders hidden in history. This attraction will be a trackless dark ride, similar to Mystic Manor at Hong Kong Disneyland. Instead of fully adopting H.G. Wells’ fantasy world, I think it is better to actually stay true to historic realism and let Guests pass by more immersive and exciting scenes that can be found in Spaceship Earth. Where Guests will encounter dinosaurs in Journey to the Center of the Earth, I think it would be interesting to travel back to the Ice Age, possibly adopting scenes from The Magic Skyway which was found at the 1964 World’s Fair in New York. Other scenes could include a trip back to ancient Greece, ancient Egypt, the Roman Empire, medieval Europe, the steam period or the renaissance. This is a narrow view of history, but are things Europeans are most familiar with and therefore quite important as they are the main audience at Disneyland Resort Paris.
1543014257210.png
Between these new attractions a new restaurant will be opened, similar to Europapark’s Foodloop Coaster Restaurant. I haven’t really thought of a fitting name, but I believe it could be themed to a Steampunk-like factory in which Guests dine among curious contraptions and inventions. In these restaurants, food is delivered by way of rollercoaster tracks via gravity. Food, drinks and merchandise items can be ordered using a touch-screen device installed in each table. Most food arrives via the network of rollercoaster tracks winding around the restaurant, though there are some items, such as hot drinks, which are brought to the table by the restaurant’s waiters. Also, new is The Hall of Visionaries. This walkthrough attraction features an exciting and beautiful journey into the worlds of visionaries like Italian visionary Leonardo Da Vinci, Copernicus, Henry Ford and Thomas Edison. Learn more about his creative ideas and curious creations and pass through confusing yet aesthetically pleasing rooms and halls. A shop will be connected to this walkthrough attraction, called Visions and Constellations.
1543013835628.png
Our last area is the current Videopolis and Café Hyperion area. Honestly, Videopolis has never really fitted the area and although a theme park needs show stages, it could miss one that just distorts part of the theme of an area. Therefore I believe it would be best to redesign the building and add an attraction themed after Around the World in 80 Days. This attraction would also be based after Jules Verne’s novels and will function as the resort’s version of Soarin’. Currently, an altered version of Soarin’ is being designed for Tokyo DisneySEA. I believe this version could somewhat be altered in a similar way, but of course taking inspiration from the Around the World in 80 Days storyline and style. It might be an odd idea, but instead of boarding a flymachine or parasail, I think it would be really cool to have an immersive 360 air balloon system. Also, instead of showing modern images of worldwide locations, bring us to the late 19th Century and travel to London, Brindisi, Suez, Bombay, Calcutta, Victoria, Yokohama, San Francisco and New York City. The Café Hyperion will not be removed, but instead re-imagined to become a quick service themed after the Island at the Top of the World and expanded to the side, which currently hosts Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast. So this is my vision of how Disneyland Paris’ Discoveryland could and should improve itself in the future. What do you think? And what do you believe Disneyland Paris should do in the coming decades to improve itself?
1543013930632.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom