Orlando man charged with hitting a Disney security guard during fight over COVID-19 mask rule

ppete1975

Yeah, maybe. Every drug store/Target/Walmart has disposable masks that meet Disney's approval. Right now the extra price to enter the parks is to have the proper face masks. People just don't want to be told what to do, or maybe there was a language barrier, or let's face it some people in this world are just not intelligent. Either way, I'm glad Disney isn't letting this slide.
honestly disney should have the free ones in these situations or sell the disney ones. (i havent been to the parks so if they offer free ones, let me know and ill remove the post and sit in the corner for 5 mins)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Hubby loooooves Fuddruckers!
Who doesn't????

1598561843179.png

Polydweller

I’m not the poster that said “I blame tdo” and I’ve called the guests actions “stupid” multiple times. Of course I’m not ok with assault. I’ve never said that he shouldn’t have been arrested for his actions.

I also should be clear and say that I beleive this was a legal assault even if it was slapping the phone out of his hand.
Could we please stop with the ‘slapping the phone out of his hand’ nonsense. The article in the link and a couple of others mention that Toro struck the guard in the head and at least 3 people witnessed him getting irate and striking the guard. There was no phone slapping and no need for any devil’s advocacy to for any excuses. It is straight forward case battery with no reasonable excuse available. So please stop looking to create discussion points that aren’t there.

ImperfectPixie

Really? In oklahoma almost every place they give away those 10 dollars for 100 surgical blue disposable masks if you dont have one. I like my disney, star wars, Adidas ones though. I spent way too much on etsy before they were so abundant :(
Cheapest I can find here is $25 for 100...I'm about to purchase 2 boxes (1 children's 1 adults).

LittleBuford

I've lost track. When the same people leave the Politics boards solely to engage in threads like this, I'd say it deserves to be sent to those boards.

I really don’t know how to take this. I’m one of the regulars on those boards, and I posted in this thread too. The comments that have generated all the controversy here have come not from me or any of the other Politics folks, but from @TrainChasers. So I really don’t understand your point.

Riverrafter21

Ugh..obviously some people here don't understand.

WDW just re-opened and wants to stay open. The best thing they can do is try to instruct guest to social distance and that they must wear an appropriate mask. They do not want to be linked to an outbreak or have one blamed on people attending their parks.

Disney in no way can be comped to the local grocery store, drug store, Walmart, or Macy's which will provide a free mask on occasion. If word gets out that they are giving away free masks, then people will start to show up expecting a free one. And yes word gets out quickly when it comes to ALL things Disney.

There are people who can't even travel to Disney as their state, city, or job have a travel ban. Disney is a not a right, nor should the ability to go be taken for granted. If you want to go do the easy research and go by a pack of masks for your vacation. As a Florida resident I'm sure he has seen multiple news reports about masks in the park.

So get the right masks, do your part to be safe, and no hitting.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Could we please stop with the ‘slapping the phone out of his hand’ nonsense. The article in the link and a couple of others mention that Toro struck the guard in the head and at least 3 people witnessed him getting irate and striking the guard. There was no phone slapping and no need for any devil’s advocacy to for any excuses. It is straight forward case battery with no reasonable excuse available. So please stop looking to create discussion points that aren’t there.

Whatever he did is legally defined as assault. I never said otherwise.

It’s amazing to me how many people seem to be upset that I’m trying to fill in the blanks and understand why something happened.

donsullivan

Premium Member
honestly disney should have the free ones in these situations or sell the disney ones. (i havent been to the parks so if they offer free ones, let me know and ill remove the post and sit in the corner for 5 mins)

Orange County, where the assaulter lives, requires masks in all public locations, and has so for months. This guest should have already had a mask whenever they are in public, no matter the location.

The mask policy is part of what was agreed to with the state as part of their practices to be allowed to reopen the parks. Disney has a responsibility to comply with the documented commitment or risk being shut down by the state. Other local operators have already been cited by the local jurisdictions for not fully enforcing mask requirements and Disney does not want to get on that list.

The bottom line is the policy is published by the county and by Disney. The guest has a responsibility to comply with the rules and Disney has no responsibility at all to provide masks, the guest owns that responsibility. suggesting that Disney should have them free is a cop out and taking the responsibility off the guests where it belongs - 100%. People need to take responsibility for themselves and bring what is required to be in public or stay home.

LittleBuford

It’s amazing to me how many people seem to be upset that I’m trying to fill in the blanks and understand why something happened.

I don’t think that’s what people are (as you call it) upset about. It’s your suggestion that Disney should have done more to accommodate him that seems to be the issue. That’s no longer just trying to understand what happened, but rather assigning blame (at least in part) to Disney.

Alice a

Can I ask if you are male of female? With your user name, height and weight im assuming female. I bring this up because, this is a something ive noticed recently where men will threaten women, which to me is even more unacceptable (its never ok to bully someone). But the idea of a grown man threatening a woman, at most points in history would have led to the man on the ground, surrounded by real men.

BTw if you are offended i will remove this post.

I'm not offended. Yes, I'm a woman, and I frequently wish these guys' mothers, daughters, and wives could see them. I'm the preferred mask-enforcer at the store because they're so much worse to the male employees.

ppete1975

I'm not offended. Yes, I'm a woman, and I frequently wish these guys' mothers, daughters, and wives could see them. I'm the preferred mask-enforcer at the store because they're so much worse to the male employees.
I can see that. We used to do the same when bouncing and working security. Being female automatically deescalated some situations but we always had a guy beside them just in case. Sorry you have to deal with it 😢

JoeCamel

WDW just re-opened and wants to stay open. The best thing they can do is try to instruct guest to social distance and that they must wear an appropriate mask. They do not want to be linked to an outbreak or have one blamed on people attending their parks.

Disney in no way can be comped to the local grocery store, drug store, Walmart, or Macy's which will provide a free mask on occasion. If word gets out that they are giving away free masks, then people will start to show up expecting a free one. And yes word gets out quickly when it comes to ALL things Disney.

There are people who can't even travel to Disney as their state, city, or job have a travel ban. Disney is a not a right, nor should the ability to go be taken for granted. If you want to go do the easy research and go by a pack of masks for your vacation. As a Florida resident I'm sure he has seen multiple news reports about masks in the park.

So get the right masks, do your park to be safe, and no hitting.
Ohhh, imagine if the mask they handed out had a Disney imprint on it? The gates would be mobbed by "fans"

ppete1975

So get the right masks, do your park to be safe, and no hitting.
Thats a valid point that even if they were disposable non branded people would still take advantage. I was more going from the basically included in your ticket price isnt free 😊

Archie123

if walmart and most businesses can give out the free ones, youd think disney could.. unless they dont think they are as effective.

They don’t give them out nor do they have to. If people don’t like this then they should bring their own mask or don’t do. Whether they should is irrelevant but I understand why people think they should.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom