Orlando Gunman Scouted WDW ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpAllNight

This is pure fear mongering in its worst click bait form.

Disney is a legitimate target. So is every landmark, every mall, every club, every bar, every restaurant, every workplace, every stadium, every ceremony. They'll all make the news if targeted. If you worried about it all you'd never leave the house.

I'm confused also by the comments on security theatre in that the same people note the amount of what they imagine are undercover officers. Surely that's...security? That's not theatre, they're undercover. I'd also imagine some of them are armed.

I don't mean to come across as if I'm denying there is a possible threat but some of these comments seem like they're pushing some kind of agenda based on a general dislike of security checks.

cslafferty

You realize how ridiculous that would be, right?
You realize it wouldn't make anyone safer, but would totally destroy the whole point of vacation, right?
You do get how unworkable it would be under any circumstances, right?
You do realize that even if you did that, what would stop someone from attacking an entrance with security and metal detectors?

You do realize that WDW's business is destroyed with one mass casualty attack, even if its in the parking lot of one of DD's hotels, right?

You are never safe. Just a sad fact of life.
I totally agree. But I wonder what the publicity will be like if they don't set up security check points at DS? I'm wondering, as ridiculous as it would be, if they will be pressured into it to stop people from saying "you knew DS was a target and you did nothing" if, God forbid,something were to happen.

**Stacy**

Yesterday, while my children(12 and almost 14) were getting ready to go to their dad's house for 3 weeks, I talked the older one out of wearing slide sandals and got him to leave the house in lace up sneakers know whatever he wears out of my house will be what he wears for the next 3 weeks. While driving to their dad's house we talked about the attack in Orlando(news to them), we talked about being aware of surroundings wherever we are, being aware of exits and "outs" and how to run AWAY from the sound of gun fire. I decided to have this conversation because there is always a possibility that their dad will take them to a theme park or DTD and I understand that anywhere a large number of people will congregate will be attractive to someone looking for big numbers. Unfortunately this was not the first time I have had this conversation with my kids...we went from stranger danger conversations to to how to best survive a mass shooting conversations about 6-7 years ago. Sad.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 Is this why you call it 'security theater', b/c we know that terrorists have materials (ie TATP) that can't be detected by metal detectors? Or is it b/c you think such security measures are ineffective and therefore fear-mongering? Or some other reason? It's not clear to me, please explain. Sometimes I interpret your remarks to suggest that there is little we (as a society) can do to prevent it, so we shouldn't try. [Israel, for example, is very militarized due its neighborhood and constant threats...do you think we should adopt the same? or what is it that you mean?] Genuine confusion/ curiosity here.

Israel has real security. We do not. We have security theater for the ignorant masses. Whether you are talking about the TSA or at the entrance to any theme park in Orlando. They absolutely are fear-mongering because they don't prevent a damn thing beyond people feeling free.

As as a society, I think there's plenty we can do.

Yet again, the FBI dropped the ball and 49 innocents are dead and another 53 were shot because of it. This man was allowed to be a security guard at a freaking courthouse. He passed a background check (I doubt I would and I have no criminal past, no record, etc.) somehow. They investigated him THREE times. And he was able to LEGALLY buy weapons of mas destruction. This can't be allowed. Yes, we need better law enforcement and gun laws. These mistakes simply can't happen.

SorcererMC

Yesterday, while my children(12 and almost 14) were getting ready to go to their dad's house for 3 weeks, I talked the older one out of wearing slide sandals and got him to leave the house in lace up sneakers know whatever he wears out of my house will be what he wears for the next 3 weeks. While driving to their dad's house we talked about the attack in Orlando(news to them), we talked about being aware of surroundings wherever we are, being aware of exits and "outs" and how to run AWAY from the sound of gun fire. I decided to have this conversation because there is always a possibility that their dad will take them to a theme park or DTD and I understand that anywhere a large number of people will congregate will be attractive to someone looking for big numbers. Unfortunately this was not the first time I have had this conversation with my kids...we went from stranger danger conversations to to how to best survive a mass shooting conversations about 6-7 years ago. Sad.

Yes. Had similar conversation w/ my 13 year old....situational awareness, knowing where the bathrooms/exits are in any building, listening to teachers during school drills, etc.....not b/c I think he would find himself in that circumstance, but b/c he has to be prepared in case of an emergency. It is the world we live in.

I think if anyone thinks WDW has never been on a list of targets is burying their head in the sand. I would imagine there are very few of the world's top 50 parks and other tourist attractions that have not been targeted.

In regards to this specific case, I would like to see it from a source with a bit more credibility than People.
Just saw it on Fox News. Definitely has some more credibility then PEOPLE.

SorcererMC

Israel has real security. We do not. We have security theater for the ignorant masses. Whether you are talking about the TSA or at the entrance to any theme park in Orlando. They absolutely are fear-mongering because they don't prevent a damn thing beyond people feeling free.

As as a society, I think there's plenty we can do.

Yet again, the FBI dropped the ball and 49 innocents are dead and another 53 were shot because of it. This man was allowed to be a security guard at a freaking courthouse. He passed a background check (I doubt I would and I have no criminal past, no record, etc.) somehow. They investigated him THREE times. And he was able to LEGALLY buy weapons of mas destruction. This can't be allowed. Yes, we need better law enforcement and gun laws. These mistakes simply can't happen.

Agree wholeheartedly. I'm equally disturbed by the fact the FBI investigated and didn't have anything or enough to keep monitoring or press charges.

ETA: Also wondering about what kind of public-private security relationship there is between Disney and FL/Orlando officials re: threats, such as the aforementioned meeting and January implementation. I suspect that there is more that Disney is doing that is unknown, so as to not 'advertise' it's soft target status.

Ac
Saying that the MK was scouted is like saying its probably going to rain in Florida somewhere today. Of course. But for someone who hammers actual news organizations, it's hard to take you seriously when you quote a magazine that speculates why Beyonce wrote "Lemonade" and call it a "news organization"
Actually I heard it was Disney Springs that was scouted.

cslafferty

That's ok. Since Sandy Hook they've most likely been practicing lockdown drills in school several times a year. That was always fun - explaining to my second graders why we have to practice this without scaring the bajeezis out of them. Sad.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is pure fear mongering in its worst click bait form.

Disney is a legitimate target. So is every landmark, every mall, every club, every bar, every restaurant, every workplace, every stadium, every ceremony. They'll all make the news if targeted. If you worried about it all you'd never leave the house.

Not fair at all. WDW is one of the largest targets in the country. Your local Applebee's or gay club or minor league ballpark could be targets. But it is an infinitesimally small chance. You do something at WDW ... well, you figure it out.

I'm confused also by the comments on security theatre in that the same people note the amount of what they imagine are undercover officers. Surely that's...security? That's not theatre, they're undercover. I'd also imagine some of them are armed.

I don't mean to come across as if I'm denying there is a possible threat but some of these comments seem like they're pushing some kind of agenda based on a general dislike of security checks.

I don't feel like going back and forth. I dislike being treated like I am stupid. I dislike security theater. I would prefer to demand real security.

Baloo62

You do realize that WDW's business is destroyed with one mass casualty attack, even if its in the parking lot of one of DD's hotels, right?
This is exactly the point I've been trying to make for the past six months. While the greedy vultures have been salivating over the pocketbooks of their guests, the blood-thirsty jackals are silently stalking the vultures. One doesn't go through life with the moral compass of a personal injury attorney and not face their day of reckoning. Keep on fleecing your loyal base, Diz. Keep jacking up the prices with impunity simply because you can. In the blink of an eye you could lose it all. Now does that mean if the mouse played nice the threat would go away? Of course not. That's absurd. But pride goeth before a fall, and right now the suits at Diz are as arrogant as they come. As I said many months ago, the Magic Kingdom could very easily look like River Country in a few short years. Unthinkable, yes...but possible. Prayers for Orlando and for the guests and employees at all of her theme parks.

PhotoDave219

I was just out for a late lunch and the TVs had FOX News on and while I couldn't hear sound, I saw headlines about Disney and footage of the MK and the castle ... BTW, watching local news now and it is awful. No compassion at all ... very matter of fact. And pushing people who were involved for interviews ...

Yeah..... I've been limiting my intake of the news. Its.... well its not that respectful.

DisneyGigi

We cannot work on the problem until we are willing to realistically admit what the threat is, And it's not 80 year old grandmothers from Peoria or children in wheelchairs. We have to move beyond 'political correctness' and admit that there is a subset of fundamentalists who do indeed wish to do harm to others.

In many ways become like China who does not tolerate fundamentalist behavior none of this refusing to transport people who have pets or alcohol on 'religious' grounds. Or like France who banned the overt wear of religious garb outside of houses of worship.

We also need to re-assemble the mental health infrastructure which we threw out in the early 1980's because we were restricting the seriously mentally ill people's 'freedom', the VAST majority of the mentally ill are harmless but there are some who NEED to live in a supervised setting there are others who need PROMPT temporary care which is NOT available today,

If we don't do these things Pulse will be repeated many times over perhaps with guns but 10 gallons of gasoline would have been just as deadly if not more so.
Well said. I would also like to say that whether a terrorist, he intended on creating terror and fear, if it was aimed at Americans, or African Americans, or Christians, or hetrosexuals, or a "Gay" bar, or just a bar, it is a hate crime. If he did in fact target Disney, then he knew he would target children. Hate crime any way you look at it. People are people, everybody wants to say that, Americans, were killed, some black, some white, some Latino, some "gay" some "straight" but killed because they were something someone could call 911 and pledge their loyalty to Isis by slaughtering. #onenation #oneworld #stopallthehate

cslafferty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom