Orlando Gunman Scouted WDW ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I see that this already hit other threads here, but I truly believe it deserves one of its own with a clear subject and the information not buried many pages in.

This is the first news organization with a federal law official confirming that this sick, evil murderer thought about WDW as a target. I am wondering how much play it gets because you know Disney and Bob Iger don't want it out. I did just watch the Miami ABC affiliate's noon newscast and this was not mentioned.

http://www.people.com/article/omar-mateen-disney-world-scouted-attacks

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I think if anyone thinks WDW has never been on a list of targets is burying their head in the sand. I would imagine there are very few of the world's top 50 parks and other tourist attractions that have not been targeted.

In regards to this specific case, I would like to see it from a source with a bit more credibility than People.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think if anyone thinks WDW has never been on a list of targets is burying their head in the sand. I would imagine there are very few of the world's top 50 parks and other tourist attractions that have not been targeted.

In regards to this specific case, I would like to see it from a source with a bit more credibility than People.

Oh, I agree. It's always been a target. I was there for 12/31/99 and there were huge concerns. ... But people do bury their heads. I don't know how many times I've read here that ''WDW is the safest place in the world" ... and ''Nothing will ever happen there, I know that!"

They may well be able to prevent someone from blowing themselves up in Cindy's Castle, which apparently was what got all those phony metal detectors shoved into all O-Town parks late last year.

But they can't prevent someone from walking into Disney Springs (or pretty much anywhere) and opening fire with weapons of mass destruction. They just can't. And it's horrible that we have to think about it. Just another reason to long for the 70s and 80s ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
As to People. They have lots of cred in today's landscape. This isn't 15 years ago. They do any long form pieces that others steer clear of.

And John Dreyer, the former longtime head of Disney's corporate communications (in other words, Zenia's longtime predecessor) Tweeted the story and he is a very serious guy and still good friends with Michael and Jane Eisner.

gmajew

Premium Member

I agree we can not play into the fear they want to cause, they want us to live our lives in fear and every major tourist attraction of course has been targeted and scoped. This is not a surprise and should not scare anyone from going anywhere! We have got to continue to live our lives and not allow them to win. It is not easy, it was not easy when the twin towers came down but we as a country survived and we became stronger because as a country we bonded and became united.

We must unite every time these idiots try to mess with us we must honor the victims that lost there lives, and where hurt. The moms dads that our mourning there loved ones, the children that have lost a parent the siblings that have lost their brother or sister. These are the humans we need to honor... not the trash that did the crime!

They are the ones that need to unite us to continue to live and not let this horrible act of terror win!

My thoughts and prayers are with all of these people and I know this country can and will unite to not only protect ourselves but also destroy this type of terror any chance we can.

gmajew

Premium Member
But they can't prevent someone from walking into Disney Springs (or pretty much anywhere) and opening fire with weapons of mass destruction. They just can't. And it's horrible that we have to think about it. Just another reason to long for the 70s and 80s ...

This type of terror has been going on for decades just not in the US. Israel and the middle east has been dealing with this threat for way to long. The fact that any scum would ever ever want to hurt an innocent person to push their agenda is just sick and disgusting.

HM Spectre

I'm not surprised. WDW is a place for happiness and joy for a LOT of people and the sickos in ISIS and other terror groups just want to watch the world burn. They want nothing more than to destroy that happiness.

It's just sad that it's come to this... people living inside this country who absolutely hate it and harbor a burning desire to destroy everything that makes it a great place to live and leave us in constant fear.

Makes me wish for much simpler times...

WDW1974

Original Poster
This type of terror has been going on for decades just not in the US. Israel and the middle east has been dealing with this threat for way to long. The fact that any scum would ever ever want to hurt an innocent person to push their agenda is just sick and disgusting.

You're right. It is disgusting beyond words. To just murder people you don't even know is the very definition of evil. ... But getting into discussions of why terrorism exists or the need for gun control (or more guns!) is going down a rabbit hole that doesn't even take us over to China.

MattM

Agreed. This is a magazine that my wife looks forward to on Friday's so she can catch up on the latest celeb news/gossip/style. Calling this a "news organization" is a stretch, at best. Especially for someone who constantly hounds about journalism.

gmajew

Premium Member
You're right. It is disgusting beyond words. To just murder people you don't even know is the very definition of evil. ... But getting into discussions of why terrorism exists or the need for gun control (or more guns!) is going down a rabbit hole that doesn't even take us over to China.

No discussion from me... it is a horrible act that should only result in that person punishment for eternity form what ever god they believe in.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I travel to dangerous places for work pretty regularly. I have to be "on the watch" and not be stupid about what I say or do. But if I constantly thought about it, I'd be a wreck. It's a definite fine balancing act.

You are so much more likely to die because someone is driving while drunk or distracted then you ever are from terrorism. That's a simple fact. The proliferation of weapons of mass destruction that can be obtained legally in this country, even when the FBI has interviewed the individual three times is something else. That's something that we as a society need to decide whether we are OK with ... and as shootings at elementary schools and churches have shown, we seem to be fine with living in this type of society. I'm not. I have now been to 28 countries I believe (with 29 coming up soon) and I don't ever feel as unsafe as I do simply driving in FL ... in a mall in FL ... in my neighborhood (which is pretty affluent and has its own security) because people are angry, on drugs, mentally unstable and so many possess weapons, legally I'll add.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agreed. This is a magazine that my wife looks forward to on Friday's so she can catch up on the latest celeb news/gossip/style. Calling this a "news organization" is a stretch, at best. Especially for someone who constantly hounds about journalism.

People didn't run this without vetting it up and down because they know what will come down from Disney. They depend on DIS for all the reasons you placed above. So, they have to have it right. Period.

skimbob

Unfortunately the violence in the world has been around for centuries. We have been blessed in America for a long time. There are those who just want to spread fear. If we feed into that fear they have won. I continue to fly and travel but I always remain vigilant of those around me. I will continue to visit WDW and DL without hesitation. United we stand.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The media pro in me wonders how Disney is going to deal with this since all their top media people are over in Shanghai.
It will be fascinating to watch, but I so wished we didn't have to. This world can be so vile, so ugly, so unspeakably cruel at times.

MattM

People didn't run this without vetting it up and down because they know what will come down from Disney. They depend on DIS for all the reasons you placed above. So, they have to have it right. Period.
Saying that the MK was scouted is like saying its probably going to rain in Florida somewhere today. Of course. But for someone who hammers actual news organizations, it's hard to take you seriously when you quote a magazine that speculates why Beyonce wrote "Lemonade" and call it a "news organization"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom