Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

Tonto

Many companies are staying with either a full remote or a hybrid remote work environment. My company is only requiring people to come to the office for certain positions, like customer technical support, where they need specialized equipment to set up customer scenarios. The $$ savings in downsizing office space is real. We have done away with fixed work spaces. If you need to go in for any reason, you now need to reserve a work space in advance. I have been 100% remote now for close to 7 years. First due to lack of office space in my area and then due to covid.
Sorry, was referring more to career oriented jobs, not tech support. Those are phone based jobs.

Tonto

Really? Our company and most of our clients felt it worked so well we/they started hiring out of market for fulltime remote positions.
I guess it depends on the industry. What industry are you in, and what types of positions are full remote?

cranbiz

Sorry, was referring more to career oriented jobs, not tech support. Those are phone based jobs.
You misunderstood, I think. The professional and career positions are close to 90% remote where the tech support positions are more hybrid, full time on site or a couple days on site, a couple days remote.

Prince-1

Well, sure. I work in the medical device world, and have friends in finance, etc...
We are all back at work. Not saying everywhere, just mostly. People that are working from home are not as productive the way they would be in an office or out in the field somewhere. Virtual Team meetings have become the new white noise. The decline in productivity as a whole with the stay at home work force has been noticed. Listen, I'm positive there are certain industries where working from home is thriving. I'm just saying the expectation as a whole is back to pre pandemic levels.

Regarding, actual examples, tons of people have been let go in my industry for not getting back out there.

So then no backup except some personal anecdotal story. Sorry but that’s not evidence of what you are claiming. I’d say that the model for working has changed and that more people are working from home and are being as productive as ever if not more productive.

Last edited:

trainplane3

Yeah, lower paying jobs. I would love to see the descriptions of those jobs. Im talking about more career oriented jobs.
Lower paying is only good enough for wfh?
I guess building backend systems is your definition of low paying, non-career oriented jobs.

I definitely need to spend time to commute, spending money on gas and car maintenance, to be in an office, around noisy coworkers, hundreds of miles away from a data center (where my systems live), in order to work on my systems and projects. Wait, I don't! I can wake up at the same time, log on, and be working without the disaster of commuting to some miserable office that will only cause distractions and slow work for everyone.

I can still go into a office if I want to waste time but we aren't forced anymore since management has seen an increase in projects being completed on time and overall systems stability being much better.

It sounds like your specific situation is how your company works because it isn't how mine works at all.

JoeCamel

I guess building backend systems is your definition of low paying, non-career oriented jobs.

I definitely need to spend time to commute, spending money on gas and car maintenance, to be in an office, around noisy coworkers, hundreds of miles away from a data center (where my systems live), in order to work on my systems and projects. Wait, I don't! I can wake up at the same time, log on, and be working without the disaster of commuting to some miserable office that will only cause distractions and slow work for everyone.

I can still go into a office if I want to waste time but we aren't forced anymore since management has seen an increase in projects being completed on time and overall systems stability being much better.

It sounds like your specific situation is how your company works because it isn't how mine works at all.
Its the work, medical devices mean hitting doctors/healthcare facilities and selling the product. Not comparable at all, you get to work from home as it's all digital.

MrPromey

Heck, my company closed our headquarters and subleased the space to ride out the terms of our lease there. We took up all three floors of a large office center building in an office park.

We still have a few remote offices sprinkled across the country along with a massive manufacturing plant that was built with some office space that's been turned into our "new" headquarters.

The majority of our office folks are now WFH with about half our senior VPs not even living in this timezone.

The only option for most of us is shared first-come-first-serve open workspace if we actually do want to go in so almost nobody does unless an in-person meeting is required for something.

It's been a little over two years now since I've seen anyone on my team face-to-face.

One of our new hires on my team last year was hired on the west coast where he still lives (we're in Florida).

For me personally, if I wanted to be distracted by relative strangers and sit in a new seat every day having to bring my laptop and all my other stuff with me and take it all home every day, I'd just go camp out in a Starbucks or Panera.

Just giving my experience to point out there are definitely a variety of ways companies are handling things. Our CEO even admitted he was completely anti-WFH prior to COVID but changed his mind after seeing how profits remained stable after the change.

I'm sure there was a loss of productivity for us and I'm sure they've noticed but looking at the savings on office rental, maitenance, power, insurance, office supplies, free coffee, etc. for our previous location and having our entire workforce report there every day, they've clearly decided the tradeoff is worth it.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Well, sure. I work in the medical device world, and have friends in finance, etc...
We are all back at work. Not saying everywhere, just mostly. People that are working from home are not as productive the way they would be in an office or out in the field somewhere. Virtual Team meetings have become the new white noise. The decline in productivity as a whole with the stay at home work force has been noticed. Listen, I'm positive there are certain industries where working from home is thriving. I'm just saying the expectation as a whole is back to pre pandemic levels.

Regarding, actual examples, tons of people have been let go in my industry for not getting back out there.
Feel free to back up “ tons” have been let go.

LSLS

I guess it depends on the industry. What industry are you in, and what types of positions are full remote?
Full remote are mainly data analysts, but many QA personnel are at least mostly remote. Many utility companies executives have continued full remote. I know the VP of a major bank who has also continued full remote. It was tough to justify requiring in person when our company was setting record profits by going remote.

trainplane3

Its the work, medical devices mean hitting doctors/healthcare facilities and selling the product. Not comparable at all, you get to work from home as it's all digital.
Yep, that's what I was figuring but they were generalizing it as "doesn't work me, doesn't work for everyone". Certain fields work with it better then others. Point is, it's here to stay for the fields it works for.

Tonto

You misunderstood, I think. The professional and career positions are close to 90% remote where the tech support positions are more hybrid, full time on site or a couple days on site, a couple days remote.
No way its that high. Not in my industry.

el_super

Yeah, lower paying jobs. I would love to see the descriptions of those jobs. Im talking about more career oriented jobs.

Except for some roles that were identified as needing to be on site for park operations, most of the salaried cast for DPEP in So Cal is included in that. Basically all of the roles that were being identified for moving to Florida. Disney is also chipping in some extra money to outfit home offices. It's a real thing.

Tonto

So then no backup except some personal anecdotal story. Sorry but that’s not evidence of what you are claiming. I’d say that the model for working has changed and that more people are working from home and are being as productive as ever if not more productive.
First of all med device and anything healthcare related is a huge % of workers in the US. What you are discussing is a much smaller % of the work force..

Secondly, during Covid, the "remote work joke" was going to be the new plan moving forward, even post Covid. I work for a MASSIVE company that touches healthcare, auto, planes, etc, etc, etc..... Listen if there was money to be saved we would be doing it. The stay at home project was a massive failure, even the office base staff are back. This is nationally.

My mistake though, I shouldn't have made a sweeping comment. I'm just saying remote work is here to stay, but its in pockets.

You want facts... JP Morgan and all of the major finance firms have most of their people back to work in NYC.
My buddy literally just returned back to NYC as he was getting passed up for promotions by not coming in.
My point is, my comment isn't as crazy as you think.

Curious what industry, industries you are referencing.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bumping this thread because after this last D23, I think most of us can agree that WDI is dead creatively. Perhaps a move to FL and a significant reduction in headcount at WDI could be a good thing?
Oh no…California wasn’t “strangling creativity” at WDI…

That’s a company smoke screen.

The reason to move to Orlando was to get cheaper/lower standards and make it less advantageous for the staff.
It’s a cost cutting move…you could smell the “skunk” the very minute it was announced.

I’m sure we’ll get a lot of delusions of grandeur about building more in Florida or “hiring away universal staff”…but if wishes were fishes…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom