Orlando Airport to POFQ--528/I-4 or 417/536 which is better?

GabeP

I'm heading down in 6 days and am wondering if the north route of 528 to I-4 to exit 67 is quicker or whether the south route of 417 to 536 is quicker to get to POFQ from the airport? I know the tolls on 417 are slightly higher but that doesn't bother me.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I live locally and agree that you should take the 417 route. As long as you get off at 536 you'll only hit 2 toll booths. There is an additional exact-change-only one on the exit ramp if you continue to the next exit which is Osceola Pkwy. The only time you'll ever run into any traffic of consequence on that route is on the stretch of 536 between 535 and the toll-booth on 417 during normal rush hour period (4-6P). It will only add 5-10 min in the absolute worst case though so no big deal.

I4 between 528 and 192 will regularly lock up tight in either direction for absolutely no reason an can stay that way for hours at a time. No reason to add that stress to your vacation.

Upvote 0

luv

I always just followed the signs, lol. Sometimes that put me on I-4, sometimes it didn't.

That airport is confusing. I tried to get the highway home twice and still ended up on back roads both times. I cannot figure put how to get out of there.

Upvote 0

GabeP

Original Poster
Terrific, thanks all! I've taken 417 before and been happy with the flow of traffic and have taken I-4 and sat in a huge traffic jam, so I'll go with the south route. And to think Walt told Orlando that he thought I-4 needed to be 4 lanes in each direction because he expected the eventual WDW to be popular (and offered to front some of the cost of doing so), but Orlando scoffed at him! I think that was one of the decisions that led to the formation of Reedy Creek. (if I'm remmebering my history lesson from my 'Traditions' class from the college program correctly! It was in 93 so cut me a bit of slack haha!)

Upvote 0

GabeP

Original Poster
If it makes you feel better, my brother was recently there for a conference at the BV palace, and the hotel's directions said to follow the signs to epcot/dtd..well he followed them literally..right into the Epcot parking lot!! luckily the parking attendant let him turn around and pointed him in the right direction. I'm coming in on airtran so I forget if it's term A or B.

Upvote 0

Rob562

They key to getting to 417 is to follow the signs for the SOUTH EXIT of the airport. Depending on your airline, it might feel like you are going around in circles a little but just look for SOUTH EXIT and you'll be fine.

Yup. The roads around the airport are like a giant rotary/roundabout that encircles the main terminal, with the access road running north-south to either side of the terminal and ramps connecting it all. So if you're at one side of the terminal, you only need to go a little way around the loop to get to the South Exit, or you need to go almost all the way around.

Definitely the South Exit. The only reason I'd use to North Exit would be if I were going to Universal from the airport.

-Rob

Upvote 0

PhotoDave219

I'm heading down in 6 days and am wondering if the north route of 528 to I-4 to exit 67 is quicker or whether the south route of 417 to 536 is quicker to get to POFQ from the airport? I know the tolls on 417 are slightly higher but that doesn't bother me.

417 to 536. Both ways have equal tolls, dont let that be a factor. Traffic on 528/4 is about 10x worse.

Or allow me to rephrase: In the 4 1/2 years Ive lived in this area, I've done the 528 route ONCE. The 417 route is the usual way ever since. Much much faster, Ive gotten people from walking off the plane (carry on luggage) to Epcot in about 25 minutes.

Upvote 0

PhotoDave219

What exit (North or South) do you take if your end goal is the Florida Turnpike?

Depends. We going towards Miami or Lake City? Its easier to go North if youre going North and take 528 to OBT and get on the turnpike at that disaster of an interchange.

Miami? I'd probably take the south exit and follow boggy creek road down till it hits 192 which is a mile from the turnpike.

Upvote 0

luv

Depends. We going towards Miami or Lake City? Its easier to go North if youre going North and take 528 to OBT and get on the turnpike at that disaster of an interchange.

Miami? I'd probably take the south exit and follow boggy creek road down till it hits 192 which is a mile from the turnpike.
Argh! No, see, Boggy Creek to 192 is what I always end up doing. And it's probably faster. But if I have someone riding with me who hurts each time I stop, I'd rather take the highway, even if it means more time in the car.

But I can never get out! I'm like, "North? South? I don't know!" So I always end up on Boggy Creek, anyway.

And I'd be heading for home.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom