Original WDW Entrance

Goofyernmost

They actually kept operating the radio stations well into the 90s. There were purple versions of the signs with the station. 640AM or something like that, wasn't it?
When I first went in 1983 coming from Vermont that technology was not even heard of at the time. The signals were segregated to be pertinent to where you happened to be on the road. It seems like I remember it broadcasting some general information but as we approached EPCOT the "voice" started talking about EPCOT and what lane to be traveling. When we went past it told us what way to go to get to some of the resorts between MK and EPCOT. Once we passed that it told us that we were approaching Magic Kingdom Parking for TTC and told us if we look to the east we would see the Monorail track and most of the time the Monorail in transit. I was sold before I ever got to the parking lot.

Brer Panther

Here's some old photos around the TTC featuring the topiaries
View attachment 493193View attachment 493194View attachment 493195View attachment 493196
Wish they brought them back, it actually made WDW much more welcoming.
Yeah, they SHOULD bring those back. Why'd they get rid of 'em in the first place?

You have it wrong. Green signs all down the highway. You turn into WDW and they become brown. Brown signs signify some kind of park. You knew immediately you were no longer on a busy highway but entering what felt like a national park but was something more.
Sooooooo... would the modern purple road signs around the property be considered an upgrade or a downgrade from the brown ones?

JohnD

Yeah, they SHOULD bring those back. Why'd they get rid of 'em in the first place?

Sooooooo... would the modern purple road signs around the property be considered an upgrade or a downgrade from the brown ones?

You’re arguing for the sake of arguing. I never said to revert but pointing out I knew I was in WDWi in the early 1970s when I saw the brown signs. I was born in 1969. Too early to remember 1971 but do remember, say, 1974 or later from five forward. I like the purple signs.

Brer Panther

You’re arguing for the sake of arguing. I never said to revert but pointing out I knew I was in WDWi in the early 1970s when I saw the brown signs. I was born in 1969. Too early to remember 1971 but do remember, say, 1974 or later from five forward. I like the purple signs.
Oh, I wasn't trying to argue. I was just wondering which color signs people preferred. Sorry about that.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I recall my grandma tuning in to the radio station in the car when I was a little kid, so still around until at least '95 or '96. I hadn't thought about that in a long time!

Robbiem

This is an article about the similar signage designs for Euro Disney which explain a little about the color and other design choices.

it’s interesting sometimes to think about the graphic designs and other smaller elements of the resort we tAke for granted but which helps build the experience

JIMINYCR

Pretty sure those original signs were in line with standard road signs of the times. Even today many tourist destinations, state parks, etc. are designated with similar brown signs.
You need to get to more national parks. Walt Disney World's initial plans were akin to a manmade national park, therefore the signage reflected what National Parks use. You have Deborah Sussman to thank for the purple, red, black and white design of the current signs.
Never disputed what the signs were for or why they were brown. Of course I know they were the old markers for designating places of interest in the state. I was merely expressing how dull they were and unDisney like.

JIMINYCR

You need to get to more national parks. Walt Disney World's initial plans were akin to a manmade national park, therefore the signage reflected what National Parks use. You have Deborah Sussman to thank for the purple, red, black and white design of the current signs.
Nope. Been to many national parks and I know what brown signage is for. Just was commenting on the difference from the dull unDisney like sign and how the colorful ones are much better.

JIMINYCR

You have it wrong. Green signs all down the highway. You turn into WDW and they become brown. Brown signs signify some kind of park. You knew immediately you were no longer on a busy highway but entering what felt like a national park but was something more.
Never commented on where the brown signs were placed or what they signified. Just again... I commented on how dull they were.

ppete1975

i love the D part of the old logo.. the rest rather boring.. i remember the radio station.. does anyone know if there is a recording or youtube audio of it.. id love to hear it again.

hosekiller

gljvd

looking at old aerial photography from 1969, 1980 and 1995 that I found onHistoric Aerials it appears that what is today the Entry Point Blvd./Sherberth Rd. corridor was never much of a road, probably dirt in some spots. So it makes me wonder, where did Entry Point Blvd. get its name?
I"m not old enough to know as I was born in 81. I am going to guess thats how they used to move equipment in to actually build everything before anything else was made ?

JohnD

Never commented on where the brown signs were placed or what they signified. Just again... I commented on how dull they were.

Okay, the purple signs are an improvement and “pop”. The brown signs were dull. But in the 1970s you knew you entered some place special when you saw the brown signs after leaving a busy highway. Are you happy now?

Goofyernmost

It was a long time ago and I really wouldn't have focused on the color of road signs, but I think they were still brown in 1983. For some reason that's what I remember. If true, it wasn't long after that they they went to the purple. I was 35 at the time, so not a kid.

Movielover

Come on guys, no need to argue about paint colors on signs by the road from 30 years ago.

Now now where's the fun in that...

1599134506919.png

;)

Here's a photo of the old parking entrance from 1972.
1972%20WDW%201.jpg

I know this might rub some people the wrong way but... Man that is boring and bland looking. I get that the whole idea was to separate the modern world and the world of fantasy in the park, plus it was the 70's and... well that picture perfectly sums up the 70's but it's so drab looking. Call me a 90's kid all you want but I prefer my overly colorful, in-your-face stimulation! 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom