Original WDW Entrance

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Am I just Dreaming, or do I remember There being a picture of the WDW road entrance of 1971 or so with just a single small sign in the grass? Does anyone have a picture?

brb1006

Here's a photo of the old parking entrance from 1972.
1972%20WDW%201.jpg

Another photo from the 80s (this location is where the current Walt Disney World entrance is located)
welcome-to-wdw-original-sign.jpg

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Y
Here's a photo of the old parking entrance from 1972.
1972%20WDW%201.jpg

Another photo from the 80s (this location is where the current Walt Disney World entrance is located)
welcome-to-wdw-original-sign.jpg

Bonus Picture: Entrance to the Walt Disney World Preview Center
eEW1MD0fT7ZR7mZPQzVf1IP1ggsQNxV6ivBI7vbGdCXpEEx00p7PGZl6Onka8xIb0Mymr1aw-zsyzr-lRljANLWiJp2w8g
yea that’s the one! Thanks!

JohnD

The topiaries were amazing--- my last visit in 2019 is it me they don't seem to have as many as they used too?

I remember how magical it was. We would be driving down I-4 then onto US-192, then the turn onto World Drive. You sensed you were in WDW already, which was what Walt wanted to achieve. HIghway clutter, billboards, and electric poles and wires disappear. Green signs become brown. Signs for the AM station with info. So we tuned to it and are listening to the magic in our car. Then the driving plaza, topiaries, TTC, boat or monorail to MK. Finally entering and seeing the castle coming onto Main Street. Yep. That's how you build up anticipation.

brb1006

I remember how magical it was. We would be driving down I-4 then onto US-192, then the turn onto World Drive. You sensed you were in WDW already, which was what Walt wanted to achieve. HIghway clutter, billboards, and electric poles and wires disappear. Green signs become brown. Signs for the AM station with info. So we tuned to it and are listening to the magic in our car. Then the driving plaza, topiaries, TTC, boat or monorail to MK. Finally entering and seeing the castle coming onto Main Street. Yep. That's how you build up anticipation.
Here's some old photos around the TTC featuring the topiaries
Trams and Topys 3.jpg
peppep837781.jpg
dumbo topiary.jpg
WDW-11-74-01.jpg

Wish they brought them back, it actually made WDW much more welcoming.

The Visionary Soul

WOW... Brown and dull....very uninspiring and UnDisney like. Glad someone came up with the better color scheme and welcoming look.
You need to get to more national parks. Walt Disney World's initial plans were akin to a manmade national park, therefore the signage reflected what National Parks use. You have Deborah Sussman to thank for the purple, red, black and white design of the current signs.

JohnD

WOW... Brown and dull....very uninspiring and UnDisney like. Glad someone came up with the better color scheme and welcoming look.

You have it wrong. Green signs all down the highway. You turn into WDW and they become brown. Brown signs signify some kind of park. You knew immediately you were no longer on a busy highway but entering what felt like a national park but was something more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom