Original Disney Plans in Toronto

devjohnson

Original Poster
I was reading that Walt Disney was planning a Disney in Toronto, Canada. He scrapped the idea due to short seasons. The idea was replaced by Canada's Wonderland owned by Cedar Fair which also owns Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, Knotts Berry Farm, and Carowinds. Canada's Wonderland was also the most attended seasonal theme park this year. Do you think this would of been a good idea for Disney?

TP2000

Do you think this would of been a good idea for Disney?

Doubt it. Walt also considered a similar venture for St. Louis in 1963, but gave up on it for several reasons. (Most notoriously because of not wanting to sell beer in his development, in a famous beer town.)

Disney seems to mention these types of smaller regional park-like developments every decade or two. In the 60's it was things like Toronto and St. Louis. In the early 1990's it was the Seattle Center plans. And in the mid 00's it was the entertainment centers rumored and hinted at via official shareholders media for Asian cities like Singapore and Osaka. But they never really pan out.

And that's probably a good thing. :cool:

Animaniac93-98

gallery006.jpg

gallery001.jpg

castle_snow.jpg

gallery003.jpg

gallery007.jpg

gallery005.jpg

^ This park and Disneyland Paris operate in the snow. But there was more space in Florida so I'm glad they picked the spot they did.

trr1

I was reading that Walt Disney was planning a Disney in Toronto, Canada. He scrapped the idea due to short seasons. The idea was replaced by Canada's Wonderland owned by Cedar Fair which also owns Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, Knotts Berry Farm, and Carowinds. Canada's Wonderland was also the most attended seasonal theme park this year. Do you think this would of been a good idea for Disney?

They also own Dorney park in Allentown PA

http://www.dorneypark.com/

PhilharMagician

:lol: With the rest of the park...who cares!?:lol:

Two things I need to see in my life time:
  1. SNOW!
  2. TOKYO!
Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone...

Tokyo I can agree with, but snow? The next Nor Easter that blows through you are more than welcome to come up for a visit and help me shovel a few feet of the wonderful white stuff.:lol:

EpcotServo

:lol: With the rest of the park...who cares!?:lol:

Two things I need to see in my life time:
  1. SNOW!
  2. TOKYO!

Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone...

1 is actually pretty underwhelming. Finally saw it...highly overrated. It looks GREAT, but then what they don't tell you is that when you step on it, it turns into mud. Flatout MUD. All over your shows...and as you turn the silky white ground into brown muck, the falling snow is not peaceful...it's just like rain but REALLY freakin' cold. And you go from "This is so pretty" to "Why the heck am I out here?".

That's my opinion on snow up north...I'm sure gently falling "First snow of the year" is nice. Snow downpours in icky northern ground...not impressive.
:lol:

2: Could be much worse. You could ME and want to go to Japan...Oh, trust me. It gets SO MUCH worse when you're an Otaku like me...
:lookaroun :lol: :dazzle: :brick:

EPCOT Explorer

1 is actually pretty underwhelming. Finally saw it...highly overrated. It looks GREAT, but then what they don't tell you is that when you step on it, it turns into mud. Flatout MUD. All over your shows...and as you turn the silky white ground into brown muck, the falling snow is not peaceful...it's just like rain but REALLY freakin' cold. And you go from "This is so pretty" to "Why the heck am I out here?".

That's my opinion on snow up north...I'm sure gently falling "First snow of the year" is nice. Snow downpours in icky northern ground...not impressive.

2: Could be much worse. You could ME and want to go to Japan...Oh, trust me. It gets SO MUCH worse when you're an Otaku like me...
:lookaroun :lol: :dazzle: :brick:

I say we both go and do that sitcom deal thingy. It'll work.:ROFLOL:

EpcotServo

I say we both go and do that sitcom deal thingy. It'll work.:ROFLOL:

...speaking of which, done any looking around that site I gave you? Danny did a great article on this book I must get "The Otaku Encyclopedia". You should get it too, so you can translate my posts to the others...

Anyhoo, getting on Topic, I'd love to see a Canadian Disneyland.
:D

EPCOT Explorer

...speaking of which, done any looking around that site I gave you? Danny did a great article on this book I must get "The Otaku Encyclopedia". You should get it too, so you can translate my posts to the others...

Anyhoo, getting on Topic, I'd love to see a Canadian Disneyland.
:D

Yeah, still poking around...I sent you one last night.

And I would too! Kinda surprised that Disney hasn't done a Canadian Disney Resort.:shrug:

Fun2BFree

=
And I would too! Kinda surprised that Disney hasn't done a Canadian Disney Resort.:shrug:

What, like EhPCOT?

Frankly, Disney risks saturating the market by building resorts everywhere and making the parks dime-a-dozen ala Six Flags. There needs to be a reason for people to visit DLR and WDW from all over the country (and indeed, all over the world). The last thing we need is a watered-down chain of HKDL-style half-parks.

EpcotServo

Yeah, still poking around...I sent you one last night.

I only got the Theme Park Review one...Their reports kill me because A: Their TDR pictures are killer, and B: They never take enough pictures of everything else awesome in Tokyo, just the amusement parks.
:hammer: :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

What, like EhPCOT?

Frankly, Disney risks saturating the market by building resorts everywhere and making the parks dime-a-dozen ala Six Flags. There needs to be a reason for people to visit DLR and WDW from all over the country (and indeed, all over the world). The last thing we need is a watered-down chain of HKDL-style half-parks.
Oh, I agree...I'm just thinking that it would have been easy to do a foreign park without a language barrier.
I only got the Theme Park Review one...Their reports kill me because A: Their TDR pictures are killer, and B: They never take enough pictures of everything else awesome in Tokyo, just the amusement parks.
:hammer: :lol:

I have to agree.:dazzle::lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom