Original Auction vs. New Auction

• Original Auction

Votes: 53 79.1%
  • New Auction

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poseidon Quest

The new auction scene is obviously far more appropriate for the attraction. I'm not a fan of the voice actress for Redd, but that's okay because the scene has become more dynamic and interesting.

Defending the previous scene and clamoring for it to come back is just the old person version of being "edgy" for people who's lives are so hollow that they desperately seek attention on the internet.

APirateoftheCaribbean

Original Poster
The new auction scene is obviously far more appropriate for the attraction. I'm not a fan of the voice actress for Redd, but that's okay because the scene has become more dynamic and interesting.

Defending the previous scene and clamoring for it to come back is just the old person version of being "edgy".
Well, I didn't expect a defense, in fact I thought people were gonna instantly spam the older one. I really like the new one, as well as the old one. So I guess let it get a kick start in the poll.

The Empress Lilly

Defending the previous scene and clamoring for it to come back is just the old person version of being "edgy" for people who's lives are so hollow that they desperately seek attention on the internet.
Aren't you a gem for the 'sensitive and inclusive' generation...

Come on, you're too young to be this misanthropic yet. Have less anger, more fun while you're young. You're only young once. And then when you're not anymore you'll see we had been right all along. 😛

Sharon&Susan

I just wish they would bring back the classic Captain and/or the original well scene dialogue. The only 1967 dialogue (which doesn't include Old Bill) left completely intact at DL and WDW through the entire second half are the Pirates behind the bars.

At least DL got the old Paul Frees tunnel dialogue back during the New Auction refurb.

Pepper's Ghost

Oh man... you need to edit the the voting options to allow only one vote. It's already 85.7% to 42.9%. 🤪😁 As a "math guy", my head's gonna explode.

shrug 4.gif

celluloid

Just an opinion with an analysis here without the type of insult that you resorted to; I totally disagree about the scene being more dynamic now vs then.

The scene was far more dynamic when you had certain women wanting to be bid on and displaying a power change. One in particular, who is foreshadowed at the beginning of the attraction(more so in DL) to have succeeded in becoming a pirate herself and not knowing that her for power and greed would be meeting that same cursed fate.

The auction now to does not work as the conceit of piracy. Pirates do not steal items form a town to formally auction them off. They steal.

And themes aside the dialogue and delivery among more voices and pirates had more conflict in the original.

Pepper's Ghost

% of total votes. Multiple votes possible.

For example, 10 voters, cast 11 votes, 8 votes for I, 3 votes II, 80% + 33.33%
Yep, I get it, but as a rule, to me when you have a choice between 2 items and the total answers add up to greater than 100%, my head explodes. 🤪 I appreciate the explanation though. 😁

SSE_King

I wasn't devastated when they changed the original scene because it was definitely problematic. My main issue with the new scene though is the dialogue and voice acting, both of which I think are pretty bad. I have no problem with the character of Redd, but her voice is a bit irritating, and the idea that the auctioneer is trying to sell chickens to his fellow pirates doesn't really make sense. If they had put more thought into the new scene I would have loved it I'm sure.

Fable McCloud

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the new scene is fine. My only issue is that Redd looks so lifelike and fluid that every other AA around her looks really strange and outdated by comparison. If they slowly start to clean them up and update them others around her, it would be fine. I also wish that after they say "we want the rum" that at least one said "we wants the redhead!" but that's just me being nostalgic for a line my husband used to say to me (I'm a redhead myself).

Weather_Lady

I enjoy both scenes, and agree with those who say the voice acting in the present iteration doesn't quite fit as well as I wish it did -- Redd's voice and accent just sounds too plucky and modern to me. I wish she looked and sounded more "old-timey piratey." Still (and I've gotten sadly used to saying this about Disney every time they do something new now), it could have been worse. ;)

mergatroid

You took the time and trouble to make a 14 minute video and post it on here recently about some of Disney's new rides being 'underwhelming'. I enjoyed it and found it interesting, but it proves that having an opinion is just that. Or did you make and post it because your 'life is so hollow that you desperately seek attention on the internet'?

I'm sure that's not the case, but it's not really fair saying that somebody with a differing opinion has a hollow life and is seeking attention. It could be that their opinion is that they really preferred the original scene?

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Original. But I can enjoy either one, because its a minor part of the whole attraction. Disney made the change which was designed to appease those they thought were being offended by it, so it doesnt bother me. Just how many guests were coming off the ride unhappy from what they saw?? I dont think it merited the change. I didnt like Depp being added either long ago but continued to enjoy the experience. Changes will happen, and we have no ability to stop it. At least PotC is not going completely away as Splash will.

UNCgolf

I think the older scene made more sense and fit the attraction better overall, but I understand why they changed it and it doesn't have a major effect on the ride.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It depends on what you consider a "pirate". If it's just someone who has liquid substance abuse issues, a penchant for hats, chickens, poor hygiene, and pendulum-driven clocks on ships then it's the current one. If you are looking for a fictionalized depiction of the seaborn robbers who hung out around Turtle Island north of Hati along the route of the Spanish Treasure Galleons took from Central and South America between 1630-1684AD, then the original bad old days.

The current attempts to extend ethical relativism to the span of history are laughable at best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom