Oregon Trail game

mandib

Original Poster
We've been talking in history about the Oregon Trail and with that came talk of the old computer game. Now I'm talking about the original with the crappy graphics, but the good old stuff. I mean to float the wagon or not to float the wagon now that was the question. Please tell me someone else remembers it? Now here comes the real question...Does anyone know where I could play it online? And if not I'm figuring you can't just buy the first edition from say Best Buy so I'd have to order it over the internet right? So if you played did you ever make it to the end? I never did. Tear. Well if anyone has answers or just wants to talk about it that'll make me happy. :)

Pongo

I played it a few months ago at my friend's house. I liked naming all the people. It was kind of funny when "Your Mom just got pneumonia" came up on the screen. Or "Stupid Head wandered off and you can't find him," then three days later you would find him like 100 miles away :lol:

We made it to the end after like two hours. Ironically, everyone died except for the two people with mine and my friend's names.

Number_6

I played it all the time back in elementary school, along with the original Carmen Sandiego games. I usually made it through to the end. If you want to play the original, here's what you do:

1) Go to: http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/otrail.shtml

2)Scroll all the way to the bottom and click on the link that says "Download the: Oregon Trail Apple II Disk Image"

3)Do a search for an application called "AppleWin" and download it.

4)Once you have both installed, run AppleWin.

5) You will see on the screen for AppleWin a series of buttons. Two of them look like the old Apple II disk drives. You click these and select the "disks"(files) for Oregon Trail disks 1 and 2.

6) Click on the Apple logo button and that will start evertything up.

7) Have fun playing The Oregon Trail.

SirNim

Such memories!

I loved those games (Oregon Trail and Carmen Sandiego)...

Quality "infotainment." Educational and fun.

Good stuff...

mandib

Original Poster
Woah thanks so much this may take a little work to download everything. I'll figure it out tomorrow since if I start now I'll play until I have to get up in the morning. lol. THANKS again!!

mandib

Original Poster
Ok well I downloaded the game and Applewin but I don't understand how to actually run it. I'm not sure what to click on when I open applewin. I don't see what looks like "disks". :confused:

mandib

Original Poster
Forget everything I just said I figured it out. You are definately like my favorite people of the day!! :)

Number_6

mandib said:
Ok well I downloaded the game and Applewin but I don't understand how to actually run it. I'm not sure what to click on when I open applewin. I don't see what looks like "disks". :confused:

Okay, AppleWin has a bunch of buttons to the side. Two of them are labelled 1 and 2. They look like the old Disk Drives. When you click on them, they open a browser for your computer and you need to look for the two Oregon Trail files that came from your download. They are BIN files labelled OTrail 1 and OTrail 2. They represent Disks 1 and 2 of Oregon Trail. When you have them "loaded" into those button locations, click on the Apple button and it will start the game. When you need to change disks, click on the button that shows the two drives with arrows going between them. It is the one just under button "Disk 2."

wdwishes2005

i loved that game, i used to name everyone after my friends... they always died. along with my virtual wife and kids. i always ended up alone in oregon....

SIR90210

I used to play that game all the time between K and 3rd grade, though I never managed to win! I'll have to download it tomorrow.

rainfully

Number_6 said:
I played it all the time back in elementary school, along with the original Carmen Sandiego games. I usually made it through to the end. If you want to play the original, here's what you do:

1) Go to: http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/otrail.shtml

2)Scroll all the way to the bottom and click on the link that says "Download the: Oregon Trail Apple II Disk Image"

3)Do a search for an application called "AppleWin" and download it.

4)Once you have both installed, run AppleWin.

5) You will see on the screen for AppleWin a series of buttons. Two of them look like the old Apple II disk drives. You click these and select the "disks"(files) for Oregon Trail disks 1 and 2.

6) Click on the Apple logo button and that will start evertything up.

7) Have fun playing The Oregon Trail.

:lol: I have that!! I was just talking with a friend the other day about it, actually!

Steamboat_Kevin

boom.jpg

Yellow Shoes

My son, who is now a senior in high school, used to play this all the time in the 2nd grade classroom. It was a reward for finishing work early.

We got it for Christmas that year and played it a LOT.

To this day, we often say, "Thank you, partner, I do enjoy a fast pace."

He was always able to win if he was the doctor (or whatever the job with the highest pay was.) If you were a farmer--forget it.

Laura

Premium Member
OMG Oregon Trail. How funny. I remember playing it in like 7th grade computer lab and thinking it was the most fun, high tech thing around. Back then all the computers in the school were all in 1 lab, and they were all the green and black screens and no one understood how to use them at all, and they didn't have mouses either LOL. Now they have computers with high speed internet even in preschool classrooms! Crazy!

BeachClubVillas

OMG, I love Oregon Trail! It has to be the original though. I still enjoyed Oregon Trail II, but by the time III came out, it was just too complicated. I remember in junior high we used to put in names of the teachers we hated and then put them on meager rations and strenuous pace and watch them die. :drevil:

MouseMadness

We've got Oregon Trail II around here somewhere. Found it at Target for really cheap a couple months ago. My almost 11 year old loves it... especially where you can put the names of whomever you want as your fellow party members, and then laugh as your sister is stricken with dysenteri (sp?) or, or bitten by a rattlesnake, or whatever. :lookaroun :lol:

imagineer99

Best game ever! I remeber hunting for hours, killing like nine buffalo, 10 bears, 15 rabbits, etc, and then finding out I could only carry back like 4 pounds to the wagon. When, I finally made it to oregon, it was a beautiful site!

ot6.gif

And who can forget Carmen Sandiego! The game came with its own Almanac and spawned a gameshow, complete with ROCK-apella theme song.

I also liked Amazon trail. It never got old throwing a spear into the water at a fish only to find out it was *SHOCK* a LOG!

And last but not least, MUSEUM MADNESS! The game where you explored museum exhibits. Genius!
Museum%20Madness4.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom