Orange Bird Back at Sunshine Tree Terrace in the Magic Kingdom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member

TeriofTerror

Seriously? Talk about obscure references to localized issues. No.. not worth anyone's time. It's a political topic from 30+ years ago... for a song that no one but those wrapped up in it would have any idea who sung the song.

You think gay rights and marriage equality are issues from 30 years ago? Boy, I sure wish I lived where you do!

Disney knows it's an issue. That's why he's taken so long to come back, and why they haven't really promoted his song. And it's not that I don't like the Orange Bird; I do. I just think that he's tainted, and it's a shame. And it would be so easy for Disney to rectify.

lazyboy97o

If this were actually an issue amongst any large number of people we would have heard about it by now. There would be national headlines like "Disney brings back anti-gay" icon.

dreamscometrue

This is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

I'm glad that it made you laugh. I read many posts by the people who have post frequently, and lately I'm finding that JT's thinking is most in line with mine...therefore an alliance. There's strength in numbers of like minded...nobody's throwing me off the friggin' island. :)

I've never heard of the woman (too young) and was not aware of any scandal until 2 minutes ago. As far as I know, Disney has not made any sort of "revival" for this woman or even mentioned her in the promotional videos. Whatever view this woman had, clearly Disney is not publicly associating with it. Are they even playing the original song recording at the Terrace? She just sung it, she didn't write it. I hardly see how OB is subliminally influencing guests to be anti-gay marriage!

Sometimes I think people just go looking for drama where there is none. :rolleyes:

TeriofTerror

If this were actually an issue amongst any large number of people we would have heard about it by now. There would be national headlines like "Disney brings back anti-gay" icon.

I can't speak for everyone, only myself. And as a straight person, I would never presume that I have the right to speak on behalf of the LGBT community! I just know that every time I see the Orange Bird, I hear his song in my head and I think of That Woman. And it breaks my heart.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You think gay rights and marriage equality are issues from 30 years ago? Boy, I sure wish I lived where you do!

No, your problem is with HER - not the current state of gay rights. Her participation with that was 30+ years ago.. AFTER she was sang the song.

Her actions later did not taint the song or its purpose - nor does her involvement as the singer change anything about the song.

It's a witch hunt to taint anything involved with the woman because of her actions. Well... she has fallen into obscurity and her relevance in anything to do with either gay rights today or the orange bird today is trivial to say the least.

No one associates the woman with either of those topics - so to try to make something out of it really is just... sour grapes.

jt04

This.

I've decided that jt04 is my new bff on here because lately, I agree 100% with every jt04 post. :wave:

Wise choice. The queue will only get longer. Eventually Fastpasses will be required. :lol:

This is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. I rarely comment on the threads that get all opinionated and wdw political but I read them with interest. I am far from an insider so always enjoy the insider info. we get. I have been reading the opinions/arguements/info. of JT, Steve, Spirit, Tirian, Lee, Martin etc. plus some others that were pushed out to pasture from this sight, for years now. There have been some really interesting conversations since I joined and some really exciting times for a Disney fan (like the day the new Fantasyland plans leaked and then disappeared). I feel like on this board I find kindred spirits with the same passion as me and who seem to have some of the greatest senses of humor I have found anywhere. I always come here hoping to find insightful threads. I have watched as posters side with each other only to disagree later and you can tell who the buddies are etc. It is almost like high school with the popular crowd, fighting, bullying etc. But I must say I don't think I EVER expected someone to become bffs with JT! I thought he was the resident whipping boy! To quote a good non-Disney movie- Inconceivable!!
In all seriousness, I agree that if all of our experts say change is coming I can get on board the hope train. Just keep the Chinese buyers away from my park.

Funny you say that as I do have "Tied to the Whipping Post" on my Ipod. I didn't before I joined this forum. Just saying. There are some mean spirits around here. :lookaroun

PS- wouldn't it be some sort of symmetry if they sell enough OB merchandise to fund adding the AC to AL. Heh. :king:

~irony~

TeriofTerror

Wow, I had no idea my opinions would meet such a vitriolic response! I'm not in the park bashing the poor bird with a baseball bat; I'm just wondering if Disney has thought this one all the way through. However, if my train of thought is so offensive, I'll just gracefully bow out of this conversation and allow you to carry on in peace.

timoteo

You are fine. I love you. It is a issue that hopefully someone at Disney will take notice of perhaps from this forum.... Disney spies take heed.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Pretending the problem isn't there won't make it go away. You can't ignore a tumor and assume that you've cured cancer. They can make amends by doing as I suggested in my blog: have the song re-recorded by an artist known to be supportive of fairness and equality for everyone, and/or donate the proceeds to groups supporting marriage equality. It's fast, it's easy; problem solved.

So throwing money at a serious issue solves the problem? :shrug: I think it runs a bit deaper than the pocket book for some.

Animaniac93-98

Again, watch the D23 Armchair Archivist video, they re-recorded the song with the D23 Chorus.

Which is essentially what Teri suggested, so I don't see why he/she should still feel concerned. Disney's focus has been on the orange bird, and him alone. Outside of possibly putting up the album on itunes like other old Disney records, I don't see Anita getting anything out of this. Disney re-recording the song also probably saves them money on royalties.

As for the return itself, I don't see this as anything bad or amazing, just the nice return of something once forgotten. The actually substance of the guy's return so far is just a sign and a small figure (and oddles of merch, but that's not the same as themeing). I don't see it as disruptive of Adventureland's theme or a sign of lack of creativity. It's just a cute little bird.

And as for people who don't have nostalgia, you don't need any to like the Orange Bird anymore than you did when he was first introduced without any history behind him. You just have to find him cute, and it's easy to see how he is. He's got a big head, little feet and wings, and a simple, rounded body. Very "Disney" in design.

For my own amusement I dicided to think of some comparisons with Duffy and here are some:

The Orange Bird is a mascot for a product (Florida Oranges), while Duffy is the product.

The Orange Bird had a presence beyond Disney parks, Duffy did/does not.

The Orange Bird has a Sherman Brother's theme song, Duffy does not.

The Orange Bird is unique to one Disney park (so far), Duffy can be found at more than one.

From these notes, I have concluded that the Orange Bird is more lovable than Duffy, though it did not take much. :lol:

aladdin2007

So far what new merch have you guys seen? Is it mostly just tshirts? I remember buying a tote bag a couple years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom