Options for a family of 6?

Pickles516

Original Poster
Howdy DVC folks! I’m planning a trip for my family of 6 - 2 adults and 4 kids (ages 2, 4, , 7, and 9 at time of travel). I’m planning on renting DVC points and am trying to determine what my options are. I’m getting conflicting information about how old a kid is before they count as a “person” toward the guest count. Also, what’s up with studios sleeping more people than a one bedroom? I’m really trying to avoid renting a 2 bedroom if possible. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Howdy DVC folks! I’m planning a trip for my family of 6 - 2 adults and 4 kids (ages 2, 4, , 7, and 9 at time of travel). I’m planning on renting DVC points and am trying to determine what my options are. I’m getting conflicting information about how old a kid is before they count as a “person” toward the guest count. Also, what’s up with studios sleeping more people than a one bedroom? I’m really trying to avoid renting a 2 bedroom if possible. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
There are resorts where the 1 bedrooms sleep more, it’s just a mixed bag.

With just a couple exceptions the DVC set up is Queen Bed, Queen or Full pull out couch (or pull down Murphy bed), and in a room that sleeps 5, a small, sub-twin sized bed that pulls down from under the TV.

A 2 year old doesn’t count and can sleep in a pack and play. Your other children count.

May I suggest a 1 Bedroom at Animal Kingdom Kidani or at Bay Lake Tower as they have a 2nd bathroom which will be handy with 6 people. At both of those resorts the 5th person in a 1BR sleeps in a chair that folds out into a twin bed rather than a wall bed.

Pickles516

Original Poster
There are resorts where the 1 bedrooms sleep more, it’s just a mixed bag.

With just a couple exceptions the DVC set up is Queen Bed, Queen or Full pull out couch (or pull down Murphy bed), and in a room that sleeps 5, a small, sub-twin sized bed that pulls down from under the TV.

A 2 year old doesn’t count and can sleep in a pack and play. Your other children count.

May I suggest a 1 Bedroom at Animal Kingdom Kidani or at Bay Lake Tower as they have a 2nd bathroom which will be handy with 6 people. At both of those resorts the 5th person in a 1BR sleeps in a chair that folds out into a twin bed rather than a wall bed.
Thanks for the prompt and informative response! So anything that says it sleeps 5 will accommodate us?

CaptainAmerica

Thanks for the prompt and informative response! So anything that says it sleeps 5 will accommodate us?
No. Absolutely not. You will be ALLOWED to stay in a room that sleeps 5, but you will not, in any sense of the word, be comfortable. I don't even like putting 4 people in one Studio, let alone 6. I beg you not to do this. Nobody will sleep.

correcaminos

No. Absolutely not. You will be ALLOWED to stay in a room that sleeps 5, but you will not, in any sense of the word, be comfortable. I don't even like putting 4 people in one Studio, let alone 6. I beg you not to do this. Nobody will sleep.
Remember others have different comfort levels. Though I agree, do a 1 bedroom minimum.

Pickles516

Original Poster
Do you think a 1 bedroom that says 4-5 would be better? My understanding is I’d need an air mattress or something in such a room?

my wife is really the only one that doesn’t sleep like the dead. I’ve been homeless so I can sleep wherever. I’d have no problem in a sleeping bag or air mattress.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Do you think a 1 bedroom that says 4-5 would be better? My understanding is I’d need an air mattress or something in such a room?

my wife is really the only one that doesn’t sleep like the dead. I’ve been homeless so I can sleep wherever. I’d have no problem in a sleeping bag or air mattress.
A 1 bedroom has literally double the space of a studio, and you can shovel all of your kids into the living room while you relax in the King bed in the bedroom. my experience at Disney with small kids is that bed time is easier than at home because they’re so damn exhausted from the day, but of course, YMMV.

CastAStone

Premium Member

I’m not sure what you’d need an air mattress for. There’s sleeping surfaces for 5 PLUS a pack and play in every one bedroom that is listed as an occupancy of 5.

Pickles516

Original Poster
A 1 bedroom has literally double the space of a studio, and you can shovel all of your kids into the living room while you relax in the King bed in the bedroom. my experience at Disney with small kids is that bed time is easier than at home because they’re so damn exhausted from the day, but of course, YMMV.
I’m following you, my question there was more about sleeping surfaces. Some of the 1 bedrooms say it’s 4 or 5, but that there isn’t bedding for a 5th and I’m trying to figure out what that looks like.

CastAStone

Premium Member
I’m following you, my question there was more about sleeping surfaces. Some of the 1 bedrooms say it’s 4 or 5, but that there isn’t bedding for a 5th and I’m trying to figure out what that looks like.
Ok I’m following now. There’s a few resorts with an occupancy of 5 but sleeping surfaces for 4 where you can bring an air mattress, yes. I can’t imagine why you’d pick one of those resorts over one with sleeping surfaces for 5 provided, but you technically can.

Pickles516

Original Poster
Ok I’m following now. There’s a few resorts with an occupancy of 5 but sleeping surfaces for 4 where you can bring an air mattress, yes. I can’t imagine why you’d pick one of those resorts over one with sleeping surfaces for 5 provided, but you technically can.
It seems like a lot of the resorts I’m looking at would have the sleep surfaces for 4 such as BCV, BWV, and Copper Creek.

BLT is convenient, but I think might be a bit too “sterile” in feel? We’re also big pool people and there’s no real theming at the pool there.

AKL would be an option with 1 bedrooms that sleep 5 it looks like, but the idea of having to pack the kids onto a bus to get anywhere is a concern.

And then GF is of course simply more expensive than all the others. I’d be fine with sleeping on the floor at a hotel that the family likes better if it comes down to it.

nickys

Premium Member

You must have a capacity of 5 for your family.

A 1-bed would be far better. A washer dryer in the room and a full kitchen will be invaluable, even for just the full size refrigerator if nothing else. But being able to put pizza in the oven or make pasta and sauce might make evenings a lot easier.

Bay Lake Tower would be perfect. Two kids in a queen size sofa bed, one in the pullout sleeper chair and a pack and play, all in the living room would work great. You’ll have access to the balcony from your bedroom for the evening, and a separate master bathroom. And you could nip into get more beer / wine from the kitchen if necessary! And of course being able to walk to MK, and back for nap time if necessary - even with just the youngest one.

nickys

Premium Member
It seems like a lot of the resorts I’m looking at would have the sleep surfaces for 4 such as BCV, BWV, and Copper Creek.

BLT is convenient, but I think might be a bit too “sterile” in feel? We’re also big pool people and there’s no real theming at the pool there.

AKL would be an option with 1 bedrooms that sleep 5 it looks like, but the idea of having to pack the kids onto a bus to get anywhere is a concern.

And then GF is of course simply more expensive than all the others. I’d be fine with sleeping on the floor at a hotel that the family likes better if it comes down to it.
I find Bay Lake to be subtle, not sterile.

As for the pool, obviously nothing beats Stormalong Bay, BUT ….. how well can your kids swim? Have you been to SAB before? With little ones, both parents are going to have to be with the kids all the time, and if they want to use the slide that’s out of the pool area and across the public path . You either go with them and then there’s no one watching as they come out of the slide or you let them go together and wait for them at the exit. The CMs won’t let you go down with them, nor can you wait too close to the slide as it comes into a deep part of the pool. Plus you could lose them in the main part of the pool itself, with a deep and strong lazy river in the middle. The Sandy beach part is as far from the kiddie pool as is possible to be, and the kiddie pool,is also across that path.

Plus you’re trekking from the separate villas building outside, through the main lobby and out to the pool. Or using the small villas pool which has a spa but nothing else. No splash pad, in fact I don’t think SAB has one either. Nowhere to get drinks or snacks.

BLT, whilst not particularly themed has a slide, a kiddie slide and a splash area, with a pool bar and refilling station. And views from above you can see the theme
a not-so-hidden Mickey
. And you have the Contemporary pools closer than SAB is to the BCV building.

Don’t get me wrong, my heart belongs to the BC. But with 4 kids at that age, BLT has a lot of advantages.

CaptainAmerica

A 1 bedroom is usually around double the cost of a studio. I would do two studios, unless you'd get a lot of use out of the kitchen.

Pickles516

Original Poster
A 1 bedroom is usually around double the cost of a studio. I would do two studios, unless you'd get a lot of use out of the kitchen.

One problem. Other than at the Poly, there are no connecting studios. So the parents would have to split between the two rooms. Not how I would choose to have a family holiday but YMMV.
These are both valid considerations. Thanks y’all!

correcaminos

One problem. Other than at the Poly, there are no connecting studios. So the parents would have to split between the two rooms. Not how I would choose to have a family holiday but YMMV.
And with PVB you still have to book 1 adult in each room so bands are only for one room.

For what it is worth, my now 14yo loves BLT. The pool has one of the best slides. For the younger 2 the splash pad is great and a kiddie slide available. The zero entry is nice too. Outside of that there is OKW, SSR, RR, and AKL Kidani that will sleep five. I know VGF as well but as you said that's costly.

Pickles516

Original Poster
I’m leaning toward 2 studios at Poly right now. I’m going on a solo trip to do some recon next month so I can get a better feel for the vibe of each resort. I’d love to do AKL, but the transportation is less than ideal. BCV are cool, and I’m not too concerned about managing the kids in the pool because my wife and I are bothering excellent swimmers, and the older two are strong swimmers. We could divide and conquer no problem I think. I’ll see if I can get a gander at the contemporary pool to see if I hate it or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom