Opinions Please... Don't Smack Me!!!

cw1982

Am I wrong for thinking that taking my four year old to Epcot is a better idea than braving HS this October? Itll just be the two of us, and the thought of the crowd due to SW is already scaring me.

I know Epcot probably doesn't have as much for a kid his size to do, but still...

StarWarsGirl

If you have a limited amount of time, you're not wrong for choosing to skip DHS. Out of all of the parks, it's the most "adult" park. Bigger rides, more stuff that appeals to us grownups. There's not as much for kids.

Epcot has loads to do for kids that age. If he's at least 40 inches tall, he can do Test Track, Soarin, and the gentle side of Mission: Space. There's also the fun stops in World Showcase, Seas with Nemo, Frozen, and other rides that are perfect for that age. DHS...he might be able to do Star Tours, could possibly do TofT (I don't recommend it for that age, though)

If you had more time, it'd be worth it to do DHS, but if you're working on limited time, do what's best for your situation.

Upvote 0

cw1982

Original Poster
If you have a limited amount of time, you're not wrong for choosing to skip DHS. Out of all of the parks, it's the most "adult" park. Bigger rides, more stuff that appeals to us grownups. There's not as much for kids.

Epcot has loads to do for kids that age. If he's at least 40 inches tall, he can do Test Track, Soarin, and the gentle side of Mission: Space. There's also the fun stops in World Showcase, Seas with Nemo, Frozen, and other rides that are perfect for that age. DHS...he might be able to do Star Tours, could possibly do TofT (I don't recommend it for that age, though)

If you had more time, it'd be worth it to do DHS, but if you're working on limited time, do what's best for your situation.

We're there for four days, but right now I have three park days planned. But we also have a character meal for each of those days, plus we're starting the trip off with Chef Mickey's for dinner our first night, plus we have dinner at O'hana on our resort/rest day in the middle, plus we're doing the Halloween party. And he's only four. Lol. I just don't want to overload him. 😂😂😂

Upvote 0

cw1982

Original Poster
Oh... and as of today, he was 39.5 inches with his shoes on. Fingers crossed we get another half inch outta him in the next 7 weeks!

Upvote 0
Food and Wine festival will be in full swing at EPCOT. We have been visiting every October for the past several years and EPCOT is quite crowded during this festival. However if you go morning to early afternoon it is not as bad. We are coming back this October and will hit all the parks. I’m banking on HS people staying within SW Land for the most part.

Upvote 0

cw1982

Original Poster
Food and Wine festival will be in full swing at EPCOT. We have been visiting every October for the past several years and EPCOT is quite crowded during this festival. However if you go morning to early afternoon it is not as bad. We are coming back this October and will hit all the parks. I’m banking on HS people staying within SW Land for the most part.

Thank you. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Upvote 0

eliza61nyc

I actually think you can't go wrong either way. little kids age is sort of the "sweet" spot age because they are very inquisitive and full on energy so some times just running up the ramps is fun. lol.
I would probably go with HS only because of TSL. I think it's great for little kids but I really don't think you'll go wrong with Epcot. Will SSE be open?

Upvote 0

cw1982

Original Poster
I actually think you can't go wrong either way. little kids age is sort of the "sweet" spot age because they are very inquisitive and full on energy so some times just running up the ramps is fun. lol.
I would probably go with HS only because of TSL. I think it's great for little kids but I really don't think you'll go wrong with Epcot. Will SSE be open?

I have fastpasses for SSE, so I'm assuming so. Has it been closed recently?

Upvote 0

belledream

I have fastpasses for SSE, so I'm assuming so. Has it been closed recently?
It's rumored to be doing down by the end of the year/early next year for a massive overhaul (reopening in 2022). But if you got a FP, then that's a good sign. :)

I would not scoff at a day at Epcot. The Seas with Nemo and Friends could eat up some serious time... then you have Journey into Imagination, Gran Fiesta Tour, Frozen, and overall, probably a more relaxing day than you'd be having at HS (which actually seems pretty adult-oriented to me).

Upvote 0

cw1982

Original Poster
It's rumored to be doing down by the end of the year/early next year for a massive overhaul (reopening in 2022). But if you got a FP, then that's a good sign. :)

I would not scoff at a day at Epcot. The Seas with Nemo and Friends could eat up some serious time... then you have Journey into Imagination, Gran Fiesta Tour, Frozen, and overall, probably a more relaxing day than you'd be having at HS (which actually seems pretty adult-oriented to me).

That makes me glad I'm going now rather than waiting a year or two then!

And I agree. I think Epcot will be much less stressful.

Upvote 0

belledream

That makes me glad I'm going now rather than waiting a year or two then!

And I agree. I think Epcot will be much less stressful.
Yup! Epcot is going to be changing so much, I’m really glad we’ll be able to see it before it goes away. :)

Just avoid trying to F&W in the evening!

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
You could also try one of the Agent P missions at Epcot. There are a few of them, each at one of the WS pavilions, but not at all of them. A bit like Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. And each mission is contained within the one pavilion.

Upvote 0

cw1982

Original Poster
You could also try one of the Agent P missions at Epcot. There are a few of them, each at one of the WS pavilions, but not at all of them. A bit like Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. And each mission is contained within the one pavilion.

Nice! I'll check that out. Thanks

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

My kids have always liked Epcot. There is more there then just rides that can entertain them. We all really enjoy the various entertainments they have in the different countries. Epcot is also a great place for meet and greets. We spent much more time at Epcot when the kids where young then at studios.

Upvote 0

Rsj88

Honestly Epcot is both my boys favorite park and Test Track was their favorite ride at 3 and 4. Just make sure when they stand under the height measurement, have them raise their arms straight up. A cast member taught us this trick. It makes them stand up straight. :) Also, check out the lights in the sidewalk over by Starbucks at night! It’s my favorite place to get a picture of the kids in front of Spaceship Earth. There are benches and the kids are fascinated by the changing lights! Club cool also had a lot to do with us loving Epcot but I think it will be closed when you go. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cw1982

Original Poster
Honestly Epcot is both my boys favorite park and Test Track was their favorite ride at 3 and 4. Just make sure when they stand under the height measurement, have them raise their arms strait up. A cast member taught us this trick. It makes them stand up straight. :) Also, check out the lights in the sidewalk over by Starbucks at night! It’s my favorite place to get a picture of the kids in front of Spaceship Earth. There are benches and the kids are fascinated by the changing lights! Club cool also had a lot to do with us loving Epcot but I think it will be closed when you go. :(

Awesome. Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Oh... and as of today, he was 39.5 inches with his shoes on. Fingers crossed we get another half inch outta him in the next 7 weeks!
If you can be gentle about it, there's always THIS method...

Of course, I'm just joking.
You should try Gravity Boots first...

Upvote 0

Family_Man

Congrats on your trip. I have four kids (all girls) and we have gone in 2014, 2016, 2018. Each of those years – one of them was old 3 or 4 years old. My personal rankings of parks for 4 year olds:
1. Magic Kingdom is number 1 by a mile. So much to do in that age range. Can’t get enough time in that park.
2. Animal Kingdom is fun for a 4 year old. You can’t do Flight of Passage – but NRJ, safari, Kali River Rapids are all winners + two great shows (Lion King and Nemo). And the playground is incredible. Four year olds love that playground. Be careful of Dinosaur, that didn’t seem to spook the kids more than any other ride. Its not that its fast, it’s the show elements that they didn’t like.

BIG GAP

3a. EPCOT – So EPCOT gave my younger kids problems.
  • In 2014, I put my then 4 year old on Test Track as the first ride in WDW. She was scared to death and then refused anything but gentle rides the rest of the trip. Lesson learned for me - Don’t start with intense rides if your kids aren’t used to them. Start slow and work your way up on the first day of a trip until you know their limits
  • EPCOT also gave us problems in 2016, because my then 3 year old was “just short” of 40. She wanted more rides, but there weren’t that many of them.
  • EPCOT winners – Spaceship Earth, Turtle Talk, Nemo, Frozen and surprisingly Living with the Land were all hits. Test Track and Soarin if they are tall enough and are up for the thrills. We tried Agent P, but it was so hot (mid-afternoon September) that they quit. Probably better in October.
3b. Hollywood Studios – Winners – Toy Story Mania, Alien Swirling Saucers, Star Tours. The shows are kinda mediocre. Hollywood and Vine is good – but only if they know and like the characters at that meal. Some fun character meet and greets at the studios too. In 2018 my 3 year old adored BB8, and has continued to talk about him since then.

Obviously, I don’t know what the crowds would be like at Galaxy’s Edge, but is your son a Star Wars fan? In general my kids get a kick out of seeing their favorite characters. Are you going to have park hoppers? Maybe combine EPCOT and Hollywood Studios?

Upvote 0

cw1982

Original Poster
Congrats on your trip. I have four kids (all girls) and we have gone in 2014, 2016, 2018. Each of those years – one of them was old 3 or 4 years old. My personal rankings of parks for 4 year olds:
1. Magic Kingdom is number 1 by a mile. So much to do in that age range. Can’t get enough time in that park.
2. Animal Kingdom is fun for a 4 year old. You can’t do Flight of Passage – but NRJ, safari, Kali River Rapids are all winners + two great shows (Lion King and Nemo). And the playground is incredible. Four year olds love that playground. Be careful of Dinosaur, that didn’t seem to spook the kids more than any other ride. Its not that its fast, it’s the show elements that they didn’t like.

BIG GAP

3a. EPCOT – So EPCOT gave my younger kids problems.
  • In 2014, I put my then 4 year old on Test Track as the first ride in WDW. She was scared to death and then refused anything but gentle rides the rest of the trip. Lesson learned for me - Don’t start with intense rides if your kids aren’t used to them. Start slow and work your way up on the first day of a trip until you know their limits
  • EPCOT also gave us problems in 2016, because my then 3 year old was “just short” of 40. She wanted more rides, but there weren’t that many of them.
  • EPCOT winners – Spaceship Earth, Turtle Talk, Nemo, Frozen and surprisingly Living with the Land were all hits. Test Track and Soarin if they are tall enough and are up for the thrills. We tried Agent P, but it was so hot (mid-afternoon September) that they quit. Probably better in October.
3b. Hollywood Studios – Winners – Toy Story Mania, Alien Swirling Saucers, Star Tours. The shows are kinda mediocre. Hollywood and Vine is good – but only if they know and like the characters at that meal. Some fun character meet and greets at the studios too. In 2018 my 3 year old adored BB8, and has continued to talk about him since then.

Obviously, I don’t know what the crowds would be like at Galaxy’s Edge, but is your son a Star Wars fan? In general my kids get a kick out of seeing their favorite characters. Are you going to have park hoppers? Maybe combine EPCOT and Hollywood Studios?

Lots of great information here. Thank you! I'm thinking MK and AK will be Luke's favorites too.

Luke doesn't know much about Star Wars yet. So he won't be upset about missing that. He does love Toy Story, but at least MK has that Buzz ride.

I didn't do park hoppers because I figured one park per day would be all we could handle. Lol

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom