Opinion on the Skyliner

Mystery1932

I am going to be staying at the Pop Century resort for three days next month. This will be my first disney trip since 2016. Hollywood Studios is our park for the first day and I was thinking about using the skyliner. My question is, is it worth it? I’m anxious to try it but I also want to use my time as wisely as possible. Thoughts?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I have not yet used the Skyliner but IMO the problem with staying at AOA or POP and using it is that you have to switch lines at CBR which makes it less appealing to me.
If getting to the park early is what your main goal is then I would opt out of the Skyliner.
As much as I love POP I'm actually choosing to stay at ASMo in November due to it being a short trip that needs to be efficient.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveAZee

I used it in late 2019 to get from HS to Epcot... I enjoyed the trip... it moved along quickly and the views were great. I think there was a brief pause of a minute or two along the way, but otherwise it was a fun way to take the trip. Better and more interesting than a bus.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I love the Skyliner, especially for mid-day hopping or just as a fun attraction in and of itself.

However, if your goal is to arrive super-early for rope drop, it's not a great choice from anywhere except CBR as it doesn't start running until an hour before the destination park opens. If you just want to arrive a bit before park opening and don't mind waiting in a couple of lines (to board, and at the CBR hub), it'll do the job.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

On our May trip we rode it from EP to the resorts and back but we had the time to do so. When we rode it there was huge lines of guests waiting to board... not only because its popular and resort guests are utilizing it but because eveyone wants to try it out. It is a smooth ride with great views. Speaking with some guests whove been on it during bad weather it can be a rougher experience. Another guest told me about an extended wait between stations when there was a stoppage, and having to sit stationary above the highway.
It is a Disney experience for you to say you did it. Whether its worth your time only you can say.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
On our May trip we rode it from EP to the resorts and back but we had the time to do so. When we rode it there was huge lines of guests waiting to board... not only because its popular and resort guests are utilizing it but because eveyone wants to try it out. It is a smooth ride with great views. Speaking with some guests whove been on it during bad weather it can be a rougher experience. Another guest told me about an extended wait between stations when there was a stoppage, and having to sit stationary above the highway.
It is a Disney experience for you to say you did it. Whether its worth your time only you can say.

Yeah I feel like its more like the monorail for me.
I go on the monorail more just for fun although I do use it for its function when hopping from MK to EPCOT.
I stayed at CR in 2019 and did not use it unless going to EPCOT.
I am staying at Poly next month and again may only use it going to EPCOT or perhaps for some resort hopping (not sure if the Poly station will be open yet or not...)
I definitely plan to ride the Skyliner while there but either to get from HS to EPCOT or just for fun ride to CBR and AOA/POP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ppet

I used the Skyliner from AoA last summer, the change over at CBR only was an issue once. Most of the time it was walk off one line and on to the next with minimal waiting. We rode it early at park open, during the middle of the day, and at park close.

Upvote 0

Ripken10

Stayed at both Pop and Caribbean Beach in late June. The skyliner was by far the best part of staying there. Always a chance it closes down (the first two days of trip we had a lot of lightning, so to skyliner was closed a good bit - but they had buses running quite often...just not as fun riding a bus as the skyliner), but it is very fast. Longest line we had was maybe 5-10 minutes for the opening crowd (maybe 15, but I don't think we waited that lone, but hard to tell cause we were always moving in line).

We had a day off from the parks during the trip, My two year old wanted to just ride the skyliner back and forth (and we did). Definitely one of the best parts of the trip now. I loved the monorail, but I know we enjoyed the skyliner even more than we ever did the monorail.

Upvote 0

Ripken10

just watch the weather, it shuts down more often than not during the summer due to lightning, can be a pain getting to your resort at closing time if it is down.
No more than it was before the skyliner. They run buses when the skyliner shuts down just like before they had a skyliner. It just makes you more mad now cause you know how easy it is getting back to your room when the skyliner is running.

Upvote 0

bee

Be cautious if you or anyone in your party has a phobia of flying, falling, heights, etc. as it may be very triggering. Due to an incident that happened to me a few years ago I had a difficult time while riding the Skyliner for the first and only time. Luckily for me I wasn't staying at a Skyliner resort, I was just taking a "fun" route from Epcot to Hollywood Studios. It's sad because in theory I love the concept of it and it adds so much value to the resorts where it goes!

Upvote 0

DisAl

We loved it on our trip the first week of June. What they DESPARATELY need though is to post the status of the Skyliner on their MDE app. For example if you are in EPCOT and there may be storms in area you REALLY need to know whether to go to the bus stop in the front or the Skyliner in the back. You could conceivably walk up to an extra 2 miles if you make the wrong choice.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

Not to be a "Debbie Downer" here, but while the skyliner is a great ride to Epcot & HS, when we were staying at POP in May, it took us an HOUR and 15 minutes to get to Epcot (which would have taken less than 30 by bus). The ride back at night wasn't much better. There is no shade waiting for the lines to move. I know it's not going to happen, but give the guests the option for bus transportation to/from the parks. If you have an early morning meal reservation OR want to make rope drop, PLEASE factor in an extra hour travel time. It IS efficient once you're actually moving, but actually getting in the air is another story. (Especially since you have to disembark and wait in another set of lines at CBR). The whole experience kinda left a "Beverly" taste in my mouth.

Upvote 0

crawale

I am going to be staying at the Pop Century resort for three days next month. This will be my first disney trip since 2016. Hollywood Studios is our park for the first day and I was thinking about using the skyliner. My question is, is it worth it? I’m anxious to try it but I also want to use my time as wisely as possible. Thoughts?
Much quicker than other forms of transport - caveat WHEN it is working. If there is a report of lightening in the area it will be down for 30 minutes after the lightening is over and then three complete circuits of the system - so about an hour. We stayed at the Art of Animation and as we left HS there was a drizzle. CM said there was a report of lightening and told us that the Skyliner would be down for at least an hour based on the criteria stated above. The only option was a bus with a long wait. When it is working it is definitly the best and fastest way to Epcot and HS.

Upvote 0

wendysue

When we stayed at POP in February/March, there were no buses to Epcot or HS unless the Skyliner was down, so bus was not an option. We loved the Skyliner!

Upvote 0

buckeyegator

Not to be a "Debbie Downer" here, but while the skyliner is a great ride to Epcot & HS, when we were staying at POP in May, it took us an HOUR and 15 minutes to get to Epcot (which would have taken less than 30 by bus). The ride back at night wasn't much better. There is no shade waiting for the lines to move. I know it's not going to happen, but give the guests the option for bus transportation to/from the parks. If you have an early morning meal reservation OR want to make rope drop, PLEASE factor in an extra hour travel time. It IS efficient once you're actually moving, but actually getting in the air is another story. (Especially since you have to disembark and wait in another set of lines at CBR). The whole experience kinda left a "Beverly" taste in my mouth.
i think most of the long wait was due to not loading each cart fully, now they are loading 100% when possible, cuts down the wait alot, just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom