Opinion on Caribbean Beach Changes

Camillashay

Original Poster
Hello everyone, I am currently staying at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort. I started coming here in 2007 when I was in the fifth grade. It was the only place my dad booked until 2016, which I was totally fine with, because I loved this place. I stayed here once during the construction, and cast members told me the resort would be so much better once it was done. I didn’t agree then, and I definitely don’t now. The only thing good about all this is Sebastian’s Bistro, which is fantastic, but I was quite irritated to find out after arriving for our lunch reservation that their kitchen was down (whatever that means). The new food court is awful. So many great menu items that used to be there are gone. They tore down part of this once beautiful resort to build a DVC of all things, which ruins the atmosphere of the resort in my opinion. As a child, I actually felt like I was in the Caribbean at this resort. Now it’s just a mess. I don’t understand why Disney did this. Nobody asked for more DVC property. Putting the lobby in Old Port Royal may have been a good idea, but check in was a complete nightmare for us. We’ve stayed here over 12 times and never had issues at the old customs house, but the new lobby was a mess. Yes, it may be “pretty”, but that doesn’t make it better. I’m usually not one to complain about the resorts, but this one is ruined for me now. From now on I will be staying at the Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge..

Dave B

I cannot agree with you more. We just stayed there for the fourth time and unfortunately it will be our last. They seem to be wanting a deluxe atmosphere without actually being one. The check in area is crazy, the new food court is horrible, they didn't have lunch our first few days there in November , but then had it available for the last few days, but didn't inform anyone via phone message to room or text alert that they were doing it. The atmosphere is very different, the CM were not excited to help you in anyway. We were so let down, on top of that the pool was not heated while we were there and had to go swim elsewhere, with no sympathy from the staff. It is a shame, it was one of the best resorts prior in my opinion, but I understand its all about DVC and revenue streams, but man it sucks to lose a good resort

Ben_since_1971

Ditto to all of the above. Food court is terrible. Lobby is so generic as to be laughable. Banana Cabana is only thing nice about the reno. The destruction of Old Barbados and Martinique to make way for Riviera completely destroys the feeling of being surrounded by the resort. Let's not forget the gondola towers smack dab in the middle of Aruba and Jamaica. I understand change is inevitable, and I would say I either approve of or have no opinion one way or another regarding most changes Disney has made. This time - they swung and missed terribly. Needless to say, this was our last visit to CBR. We liked POR when we stayed there in 2017 during the renovations and liked it. Didn't think they would screw up CBR so terribly. It's too bad. We really liked the resort.

John park hopper

Sorry to read CBR is lost. We stayed there in 2017 just as construction started and remember saying to the DW this is not going to be a good change. Just glad we are staying at POFQ in May, just wonder how long before they ruin that with a DVC generic hotel. We stayed at Martinique So sad

Last edited:

Camillashay

Original Poster
I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks this way. It’s really sad that they tore down half of Martinique and old Barbados. I always stay in Martinique building 24 or 25, and it’s so strange to see half of it gone. And for a generic looking DVC of all things! :/

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
A lot of the resorts seem to be going in this direction. And I think it will continue.

CSR seems to be going from a Mexico Vibe to more a traditional "Spanish" (as in Spain) vibe - with a toned down traditional "Disney" feel. - At least IMO.

Change is always a hard thing to manage. I completely get your viewpoint and agree with it somewhat, but changes are generational and I've got to guess that the data Disney has collected warrants this type of shift.

The Baby Boomers and GenX'ers (I'm one of them).....grew up in a Disney mystique that was somewhat gaudy and formulaic. Gaudy worked for us. This next generation - the one that will have the disposable income in the near future - and equally as important - are in the process of starting their own families........they have a bit of a different take.

correcaminos

Admittedly CBR was my least favorite out of all of the moderate resorts. We were in a far area of Martinique and I found it too large, the food court wasn't great, and transportation kind of sucked due to the large size. So I couldn't disagree with you more about that resort starting off.

I will say adding the Riviera doesn't fit IMO with the look as that's not very Caribbean, but until it is finished I won't say for sure if it really is bad or not.

thumper

Agree - I stayed here in early November for the W&D Half Marathon weekend and wrote a response on another thread (Nov 11) which I posted below. It sounds as though check-in still may be an issue based on your post. I'm curious if they're still working on the sidewalks outside of Port Royale because that was a concern. Also - I've heard since I've been there that the food court IS now open for lunch, whereas it wasn't when I was there (so awesome after you've run 13.1 miles and are starving!).

Beautiful reno of the lobby/sitting area, but I'm hoping check-in queue and process is still working out its initial kinks. They're still working on the sidewalks outside of Port Royale from main entrance to the bus stops there, so you just have to be very aware (particularly at night as the lighting was pretty low), as we noticed a lot of vans/service vehicles tend to park there, so you're walking in the driveway where cars and magical express drop off. It's a short distance, but I hope they get that construction done real soon.

Finally, did not particularly like the set-up of the new food court. There is one wraparound line to select and pay for your food, and you are asked if you would like to dine in or to-go. When we dined in, we were handed a buzzer, but never told if they bring you the food or if you have to go up to a counter to retrieve it. We later learned that at dinner, the CM's will bring out your food on these rolling warming carts and deliver. Also - food court closes around 11:30 am and doesn't reopen until 5 pm, so your option is the grab and go market. The beverage/condiment section gets VERY clustered. It is not set up in a "square" fashion such as POR or POFQ with option to go on either side.

Positives were the grand entrance into the lobby area, the Banana Cabana Pool Bar (beautifully done), and the walkways right outside Sebastian's restaurant/pool are very pleasant. New Port Royale (Centertown) is themed perfectly. Now if my eye can just overlook the large pile-ons for the gondolas going right through Jamaica/Aruba....:rolleyes:

krueg66

I've always loved CBR. My wife and I took our first trip together there way back in 2001. We've stayed there many times, too many to even remember. We don't have kids and enjoyed the Banana Cabana and the bartenders big time. The hours were later so it was always fun to head back after a day at the parks and have some drinks and meet some interesting people. It had been a while since we stayed there, probably about 3 years when we stayed there in late October, just after everything opened back up. I really liked it.

Obviously the Banana Cabana is really nice now, and it's the same staff most importantly. They had Live Music too which was a cool touch. A little Reggae Trio. That really added to the night.

The new food court is fine. Nothing special, but I always thought the old one was really a cluster. Either way, decent food if you want to grab something and we had no issues. The new lobby was nice and it's nice to have everything right there in one place. The CM's greeted us when we walked in and took us right to register. In and out in like 5 minutes.

I would say the parking situation outside Port Royale during check-in was weird. There were not many spots?

We didn't eat at Sebastians but it looks nice. We may eat there when we go back the end of January and stay at CBR.

But I do agree that the Riviera Building is a bit strange to see right there. Maybe it will look better when its completed. The cable cars are also weird to me too. Maybe once all the construction is complete it will all come together?

I've seen an incredible amount of change since my first trip in 1978, some good and some not so much. I give the new CBR a thumbs up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom