Onward - Pixar's latest flop?

Ripken10

I'm hearing that the box office for this weekend indicates that my comparison of Onward to Good Dinosaur might, unhappily, be all too accurate...
2019 Box office way down, coronavirus fears, yet everything I read is not saying Onward is doing poorly yet (and it is way too early to tell). Thursday night previews right in line with what anyone would expect for an animated movie. Everything going on in box office should lead this movie to doing badly this weekend, but nothing is showing it is yet. Just because you want it to badly doesn't mean it will

Animaniac93-98

"Disney and Pixar's Onward topped the weekend box office [$40 million opening], but fell just a bit shy of expectations [up to $50 million], a performance some may relate to the current COVID-19 concerns, though most everything else performed as expected if not better."

- BOM

Also $28 million foreign opening from 60% of the international market.

Giss Neric

Onward is not Pixar's bests but it's not a bad movie. I got emotional watching it too, typical Pixar movie. Holland and Pratt can pull in viewers no doubt. It's just unfortunate but Corona scare is a big factor. People are just legitimately getting more and more paranoid and would prefer to avoid crowded environments and cinemas are one of those.

Fox&Hound

We just saw the movie and we loooooooved it! Go see it! Original, creative, and really pulls at the heart strings. I love that is a new world for Disney/Pixar: trolls, dragons, and unicorns.
My only gripe was the Simpson’s short before the movie: not inappropriate but just a different brand of humor that does not jive with Disney in my opinion. Go see Onward- it is a new favorite!

Last edited:

Ripken10

Only the second time in 11 years that the first weekend in March saw the top ten movie make less than 100 million. The box office is struggling now, but the fears are only making it worse now.

5thGenTexan

We saw Onward today and I didn't expect much because well.. I am a bit curmudgeonly. I was surprised and enjoyed it. My 9 year old asked as we were walking out of the theater if it was on DVD yet. I don't think it should compared with Good Dinosaur on any level because that movie just sucked. :)

A Noble Fish

Well, it certainly did flop now through no fault of its own. Disney could end up re-releasing it, but I’d imagine a quick Disney+ drop is what they’re aiming for.

I was predicting a 350-400M gross without factoring in coronavirus. This picture probably won’t cross 180M worldwide now. A product of the times.

I haven’t seen it. It doesn’t look like Pixar’s top-tier, but I’ve heard it’s solid, and I’ll reserve judgement until I see it on Disney+. I generally like artsy films and Soul looks way better especially with Pete Doctor at the helm, so I’m more bummed for that release inevitably being delayed.

seascape

Well, it certainly did flop now through no fault of its own. Disney could end up re-releasing it, but I’d imagine a quick Disney+ drop is what they’re aiming for.

I was predicting a 350-400M gross without factoring in coronavirus. This picture probably won’t cross 180M worldwide now. A product of the times.

I haven’t seen it. It doesn’t look like Pixar’s top-tier, but I’ve heard it’s solid, and I’ll reserve judgement until I see it on Disney+. I generally like artsy films and Soul looks way better especially with Pete Doctor at the helm, so I’m more bummed for that release inevitably being delayed.
The worldwide movie box office is flopping this year. Regal Cinemas is closing down. Landmark is Closing. I guess AMC will have to. The US box office is dead, just like the rest of the world. The loss prior to these new announcements was predicted for at least a 20 billion loss. It now looks more like 30 billion. So who cares about individual movies when the industry is getting killed!

Disneyfanman

We saw it last week, just before the world went crazy. I loved the movie. Pixar's very best....? Nope but really good! Since it's last movie I will see for months, I'm happy to go out on a positive note!

BrianLo

At this point Disney might want to redirect a few movies from their slate to Disney+ and aggressively push for subscribers in their worldwide rollout.

Depending on how long this drags out, the theatrical window might look completely different.

5thGenTexan

With movie theaters locked down for the foreseeable future, some studios took the extraordinary step of funneling new or recently released films onto home viewing platforms. Universal Pictures said Monday it will make its current and upcoming films available for on-demand rental, becoming the first major studio to break the traditional theatrical window of 90 days due to the pandemic.

The studio said it will make movies currently in theaters — "Invisible Man," "The Hunt," "Emma" — available for rental as early as Friday. It also said that "Trolls World Tour," one of the only major releases left on the April calendar, will debut in theaters and on-demand services simultaneously. A 48-hour rental will cost $19.99.

cbsnews.com/news/movie-theaters-cinemas-studios-release-streming-platforms/

LukeS7

It's officially coming to Disney+ on April 5th and digital tonight. I think this will join the ranks of Atlantis, Emperor's New Groove, and Treasure Planet. Poor performance, but a lot of love after the fact.

BrianLo

At this point Disney might want to redirect a few movies from their slate to Disney+ and aggressively push for subscribers in their worldwide rollout.

Depending on how long this drags out, the theatrical window might look completely different.

A broken clock is right twice a year!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom