Onsite busses

nic_d22

Original Poster
We are trying to plan a trip xmas 2007. My dad is insisting that staying onsite saves time driving in because you can take a bus. I think if you have to wait for the bus, possibly drive to another hotel, and then still drive into the park, that it is just the same as driving 15 minutes from off site. We really cant afford onsite, so we would have to stay at all stars. What are your experiences with the busses at a busy time of year?

SteveUK

I would say that staying onsite would help with travelling times. The bus services are very efficient and you shouldn't have to wait more than a few minutes for a bus at any time. The services are responsive, so at busy times there are more busses on duty.

If you stay offsite, I agree that you can drive in when you like, but the time spent parking and then getting to the gate from the car, and then back at the end of the day and getting out of the parking lot will more than add up to the time spent waiting for WDW buses.

If it is a time issue - you really won't save any significant amount by staying offsite. If it is a financial issue about which hotel to stay at, well that is a different question.....

Kadee

nic_d22 said:
We are trying to plan a trip xmas 2007. My dad is insisting that staying onsite saves time driving in because you can take a bus. I think if you have to wait for the bus, possibly drive to another hotel, and then still drive into the park, that it is just the same as driving 15 minutes from off site. We really cant afford onsite, so we would have to stay at all stars. What are your experiences with the busses at a busy time of year?

Stay at Pop. Same price as AllStars (less, really because of the tax difference). I've heard the bus service is great and you don't have to go to any other hotel.

It is quicker when you factor in having to park your car (possibly somewhere in the back forty) catch a tram to be taken to the front gate and then stand there while you see WDW resort guests go in an hour early on certain days.

Staying on site has several advantages.
  • You don't have to fight the traffic yourself, which can be horrible at times.
  • You don't have to remember where you parked. Everyone in your party doesn't have to arrive and leave at the same time (unless there are young kids, of course).
  • You don't have to go to the same park.
  • The on site hotels very nice and clean.
  • You are completely surrounded by Disney 24/7.
  • They can send any of your purchases back to your hotel for you so you don't have to carry them around.
  • There are others, I just can't think of them right now. I'm sure other people will add to it.
So......listen to your father! :D

LudwigVonDrake

Stay at Pop Century. I stayed there and the bus service is awesome. You don't have to share your bus with other resorts (ala the All-Stars).

Have a great time :)

brertigger

All Disney transport buses do save time. Yeah, you have to wait for them, but this is rarely more than 10-15 minutes, frequently less. The buses now do more direct routes than they used to. They sometimes stop at other resorts, but this won't add on more than a few minutes. It is worth it to use the Disney buses.

Note, however, that I specifically mention Disney Transport. Some offsite resorts run shuttles on property. These are on a fixed schedule and if you miss the last bus for the day, you will have to pay for a very expensive cab back to your hotel (unlike Disney resorts, where someone will take you back to your hotel no matter what). Some DTD area "Good Neighbor" resorts also run the shuttles the same way.

So I recommend you stay at a Disney resort. It is so much easier and more magical to arrive at the park without the hassle of driving. Plus, you can take advantage of EMH.

Tom

Beta Return
As long as you don't stay at Port Orleans, the buses probably work great. I never saw waits at the All Star stops, since they split most of them up. Riding the bus from All-Star to MK would be your longest trip, and it would STILl be faster than driving in on 192, then World Drive, then parking, then riding a tram, then taking the monorail or ferry to the MK. The resort buses take you right to the MK gate and bypass the TTC.

/soapbox: They seriously need to fix the Port Orleans bus issue. Why are the two resorts NOT SPLIT UP? That's ignorant. We dreaded leaving the park at closing times because our line (we stayed at POR) was 4 times as long as every other stop....and dispatch seemed to have their head up their a$$ every single night, as if it caught them off guard. /end soapbox

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
One thing no-one seems to have mentioned is that parking costs $9.day if you're off-site. Factor that in with the cost difference as well.

yazmin182

I agree with everyone else. The bus system is great and you usually don't have to wait long. Staying on-site is awesome. The value resorts are very inexpensive but they're still really nice (Def. go with Pop like evryone suggested). If you stay on-site, you get free transportation and also Extra Magic Hours at the parks. I think this is well worth it because you are already paying a lot for the tickets, if you have more time in the parks you can see much more so it's def. worth it.

natalia1681

King David said:
how is there a tax difference?

The Pop is in a different county than the All-Stars, I believe.:wave:

Edit: Plus, if you stay onsite, you can get the dining package, which IMO is a great deal, even if you have to pay the $36 for it.

Loretta

edwardtc said:
As long as you don't stay at Port Orleans, the buses probably work great. I never saw waits at the All Star stops, since they split most of them up. Riding the bus from All-Star to MK would be your longest trip, and it would STILl be faster than driving in on 192, then World Drive, then parking, then riding a tram, then taking the monorail or ferry to the MK. The resort buses take you right to the MK gate and bypass the TTC.

/soapbox: They seriously need to fix the Port Orleans bus issue. Why are the two resorts NOT SPLIT UP? That's ignorant. We dreaded leaving the park at closing times because our line (we stayed at POR) was 4 times as long as every other stop....and dispatch seemed to have their head up their a$$ every single night, as if it caught them off guard. /end soapbox
You are so right about the busses. POR and POFQ may be close but they are two seperate resorts. Treat them that way.

Kadee

King David said:
how is there a tax difference?

The All Stars are in a different county than Pop and the the other resorts. I forget which one AS are in, but they have a higher tax. It is not a big difference, but a difference, non the less.

Chape19714

Extra Magic Hours
Package Delivery to your Resort Hotel
Complimentary Magical Express (if flying into MCO)
Complimentary Disney Transportation
Free Parking (sounds like monopoly :lol:)
Disney Service
No need for Car Rental (agian if flying)
Disney Dining Plan eligablitiy, which can save money, depending on how it's used.
And the list goes on.

Besides, the Pop Century isnt' that much more expensive that other hotels around WDW, unless you mean WAAY OFF Property!

Enderikari

Kadee said:
The All Stars are in a different county than Pop and the the other resorts. I forget which one AS are in, but they have a higher tax. It is not a big difference, but a difference, non the less.

Yes, All Stars is in Osceola County = 7% tax rate
Pop Century is in Orange County = 6.5% tax rate

Captain Hank

Driving in the Lake Buena Vista area is absolutely insane. When driving to or from work, I expect at least 2 cars to cut me off--and that's only about a 10-15 minute commute. I would highly recommend staying at a Disney resort in order to take advantage of the transportation. Plus, there are many, many other benefits to staying onsite, like EMH (Extra Magic Hours).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom