Pre-Trip Only in Disney: The Jersey Boardwalk and the Pacific Northwest in One Easy Step!

Hello, everyone, and welcome to my first pre-trip report! Everyone else’s amazing, entertaining TRs have encouraged me to try my hand at it, so please follow along if you’d like!

When: November 26-December 10

Where: Disney’s Boardwalk Villas (Nov. 26-Dec. 3) and The Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge (Dec 3.-Dec. 10)

Who: My Dad (Matt, 60), me (Carrie, 27), and my Mom (Ele, 60)

AK_BRDGTOP_7087617330_zpsbtt2uzyc.jpeg

My parents and I love Disney. Like, we really love Disney. They first took me to WDW when I was four, and though I unfortunately don’t remember much from that trip, it cemented a love of Disney in me. I’ve seen just about every Disney movie in theaters, I watched the Disney Channel religiously growing up (let’s hear it for the classics I grew up with, like Darkwing Duck, TaleSpin, Duck Tales, Goof Troop, Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, and more!), I constantly listen to Disney music, I collect tons of Disney stuff (pins, LE dolls, art, etc.), and my bucket list revolves around Disney destinations (Tokyo Disneyland, I will eventually reach you!). In short, I’ve lived a Disneyfied life and am completely unashamed! I am the first to admit, the shine has come off a little in some areas, but my appreciation for Disney (and especially the people who work for Disney…the Cast Members, the animators, the storytellers, the musicians!) hasn’t waned and I hope it never does.

OK, my “yay for Disney” rant is over.

This will be my fourteenth trip to the World, the thirteenth of which will be with my parents! I went with my friends from college last year, so this is our first trip as a family since 2014, when we attended our first Food & Wine Festival and first MNSSHP, and stayed at the Boardwalk for the first time!

We had a blast!! Especially at MNSSHP! 2014 was the only year they did the Villain’s Sinister Soiree at Cinderella’s Royal Table, and though it was pricey, it might go down as my favorite Disney memory! I really wish they hadn’t discontinued it for the HalloWishes Dessert Party :(

MK_DESSERTPTY1_7083415762_zpssigr0ozp.jpeg

(This is us waiting for the parade in the special viewing section for Sinister Soiree attendees.)

IMG_7347_zpsdochlspl.jpg

(At the dessert portion of the Soiree at CRT. Can you tell Maleficent was kinda scary by my face?)

Since we joined the DVC in 2001, we’ve stuck to our home resort of Wilderness Lodge. We love Wilderness Lodge—its theme, its intimacy, its food, its pool, its…well, its everything. It is 100% our favorite resort on property.

Wilderness-Lodge-Lobby-and-Christmas-Tree-High-View.jpg

(Screw construction...nothing beats this tree!)

That being said, when we went in 2014 for F&W, we wanted to be able to utilize the International Gateway (which is the best thing ever, in our humble opinions) as much as possible, so we strayed and cheated on Wilderness Lodge with the Boardwalk. My mom loved it, because she has a bad knee and nothing kills her and it more than that LOOOONG trek in from the buses at Epcot. We spend most of our time in Epcot in World Showcase, so the International Gateway is a great plus for us.

We were hoping to stay in an Epcot Area resort again for this trip for that very reason. We settled on the Beach Club Villas, mostly because of Stormalong Bay. However, I didn’t realize two things, having never really strayed from WL in our fifteen years as DVC members: 1) the Beach Club does not have a whole ton of DVC rooms and 2) When we are going is the lowest point value, so that’s when basically every other DVC member is going too, haha. So we didn’t get Beach Club, but we were lucky enough to get our first week at Boardwalk!

IMG_7143_zpsfyxr0aea.jpg

(Ah, Boardwalk...)

So we’re doing a split stay, first week at Boardwalk and second week at WL. This will be our first split stay that isn’t cruise-related, so I’m excited! We’re still on the waitlist for that second week at Boardwalk, but I am not counting on that happening. I know there’s a ton of construction happening at WL, but we’ll grin and bear it. These chocolate Mickey waffles from Roaring Fork will make it all worth it:

chocolate-waffle.jpg

We have Gold Annual Passes, without the Water Park and More option (my dad can’t swim :oops:), and we’re not on the dining plan. We used it when it first debuted, when you got an appetizer, entrée, and dessert…great value! But it started losing its value on every subsequent trip, so we haven’t done it the last few times. Plus, we love to get multiple appetizers and adult beverages, so it’s not really suited to our dining needs. Also, my parents have started sharing more meals as they’ve gotten older, which Disney is happy to do (sometimes with a plate-sharing charge), but they wouldn’t be with the DDP!

So there you have it. In my next posts I’ll let you know where we managed to get ADRs (our 180-day mark was May 30, a.k.a. Memorial Day, and I was in a wedding that afternoon…it was awesome to wake up at 6 a.m……not), what Fastpasses we’re planning, more of our general plans (like the drive down…oh yes, we drive from New Jersey), and some special surprises (I’m hoping to surprise my parents with a dessert party!). Thank you for following along and please comment with any advice, or just to say hi! I’d love to chat with more people on here!!

99 days!! :D

Last edited:

carriehpotter

Original Poster
OK, so now to share our daily plans (mostly ADRs and what parks when).

The last time we went to Disney at Christmastime was when I was still in college and we got the bright idea to go for Christmas week (I was young, naïve, and not a member of this website ;)). We took Amtrak from New Jersey, sat in coach for 18 hours with a wailing baby one row in front of us, and then spent ten days in the biggest crowds we’ve ever seen at Disney. NEVER AGAIN!

Don’t get me wrong. There’s nothing like WDW at Christmastime. That’s why we want to go back (just, ya know, not with the absolute masses of humanity we encountered that week).

xmasmickandmin_zpszlxszyr8.jpg

(I'm excited to see these two again...)

soldier_zpsf2oo7s7v.jpg

(And this guy and his buddies!)

christmasgang_zpsm8gb1uxi.jpg

(Gosh, I look so young in this picture. Of course, it was seven years ago...)

xmascastle_zpsy5647wf7.jpg

(And I CANNOT wait to lay my eyes on this beauty!)

NOVEMBER 24 (THURSDAY): We’re leaving on Thanksgiving Day. I know that may seem strange, but I only get 10 vacation days from my job and we drive down, so we’re taking advantage of the fact that I have Thanksgiving and Black Friday off so we can be in the World for a full 14 days!

Our plan is to leave mid-morning and try to make it to Wilson, North Carolina the first night. We plan to have Thanksgiving dinner at a Cracker Barrel on the way down :inlove: and we already have a hotel reservation. Just as an FYI, our traveling style may frustrate some of you. We take our time. I mean, we’re leaving Thursday morning and don’t plan on rolling into Disney until early afternoon on Saturday. Getting there is truly half the fun (OK, a sixth of the fun) for us!

NOVEMBER 25 (FRIDAY): We’ll most likely try to make it to Brunswick, Georgia on Friday. On the way, we’ll count South of the Border signs and probably stop at JR (we are fascinated by that store).

NOVEMBER 26 (SATURDAY): Welcome to Walt Disney World, the Most Magical Place on Earth!! Ack! We’ll check into Boardwalk, hopefully get our room right away, and explore for a bit before our late lunch reservation at Beaches and Cream! I can almost taste the No Way Jose! :hungry: We’ll then go into Magic Kingdom for a bit, without much of a plan since it’ll be super busy, just to see the Castle and stroll down Main Street U.S.A.!

NOVEMBER 27 (SUNDAY): Animal Kingdom. We have dinner reservations at 5:30 p.m. at Yak & Yeti, which is our favorite restaurant in WDW! As of right now, the park hours have AK closing at 6:00 p.m. (it was originally 5 and our ADR was for 4:30, but I recently changed it), but I’m hopeful that we’ll get nighttime AK hours so we can have a later diner and maybe even get super lucky and get ROL!? Fingers crossed!

NOVEMBER 28 (MONDAY): Hollywood Studios. Against the advice of basically everyone, we’re doing Minnie’s Seasonal Dine at Hollywood and Vine (Fantasmic! Dinner Package). Mostly this is because the last time we ate here I was pre-pubescent, so I don’t remember it, and we like the idea of seeing the characters in Christmas gear. Also, Fantasmic! is my favorite show in Disney (I always cry and get goosebumps when I see this show) so we want to be assured good seats!

NOVEMBER 29 (TUESDAY): Epcot. I’m pretty excited for this day! We’re trying our first new restaurant of the trip, Cape May Café, for Minnie’s Beach Bash Breakfast! We always try to do a few new things every trip to keep things fresh! And now for what I’m most excited for…I scored the Candlelight Processional Dining Package (3:30 p.m. ressie at Chefs de France) for the 6:45 show with Neil Patrick Harris as the narrator!! I’M SO EXCITED! I know the narrators are subject to change, but I have high hopes he won’t!

We originally didn’t have plans to do another reservation on this day, but when the narrators were announced, I couldn’t resist securing our spot to see NPH! This is going to be my treat for my parents :)

NOVEMBER 30 (WEDNESDAY): Magic Kingdom. I also miraculously managed to get an 8:40 p.m. ADR at Be Our Guest. My mom wasn’t too keen to dine here again (she thought it was too expensive and a little overrated in 2014), but when I told her they decorate for Christmas, well, she came around ;)

DECEMBER 1 (THURSDAY): Magic Kingdom and MVMCP! We have a breakfast ADR at the Wave at the Contemporary (my dad and I love their more unique buffet options, like Sweet Potato pancakes and whole wheat Mickey waffles). This will be only our second WDW party and our first MVMCP! I’m keeping my expectations low, as I know nothing will beat my MNSSHP experience, but I’m excited just the same!

DECEMBER 2 (FRIDAY): Epcot. We have lunch reservations at Via Napoli. I know there’s a lot of debate on this site about the pizza here, but look, I’m an Italian girl from NJ and this is some of the best I’ve ever had! Trust me ;)

DECEMBER 3 (SATURDAY): Moving Day/Rest Day. We have no ADRs or specific plans on this day, except that at some point we have to leave Boardwalk and go to Wilderness Lodge. We may try to go mini-golfing (Winter Summerland for the win!) and probably will perform a thorough investigation of Disney Springs! My parents haven’t seen any of the additions (I saw some last year), so I’m excited for their reactions!

DECEMBER 4 (SUNDAY):
Hollywood Studios. We have a lunch ADR at Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. I know this place is overrated and the food is only OK (I personally prefer 50s Prime Time), but this place brings my parents right back to their childhoods, from the drive-in vibe to the cheesy sci-fi (my mom is the biggest sci-fi nerd ever), so it’s a must-do for us!

DECEMBER 5 (MONDAY): Animal Kingdom. We have a breakfast ADR at Donald’s Safari Breakfast at Tusker House. We’ve been to Tusker House before, but never for breakfast. We love character meals (yeah, I’m 27 and my parents are 60…what of it?) and I love Donald, so this was a no-brainer to try!

DECEMBER 6 (TUESDAY): Epcot. We have breakfast ressies at Garden Grill, mostly because we love Garden Grill and breakfast, so trying this new offering was another no-brainer. Plus, there are sticky buns. You will definitely notice a trend when I do my trip report…there will be A LOT of cinnamon rolls and sticky buns in it! For dinner, we have an ADR at Le Cellier. This is another one of our favorites and a perfect example of why we don’t do the DDP anymore. When we eat here, we always get the same thing. We all get a Moosehead and Cheddar Cheese Soup to start, then we split a few orders of poutine and the cheese plate, and finish up with a Maple Crème Brule each and we split the ice wine flight. Not an entrée in sight!

DECEMBER 7 (WEDNESDAY): Magic Kingdom. I’m personally pretty bummed about this day. Originally, we were going to surprise my Dad, who is a huge train nut (both model and IRL), with the Magic Behind Disney’s Steam Trains tour. But we called multiple times to book it, getting the runaround as to why the dates weren’t available yet, and we finally got the straight answer that the WDW RR will be down for refurbishing at the time we’re there, so no tours. :( This made me sad for my dad, because he LOVES the WDW RR and it was down when we were there in 2014 too. Two trips in a row without it. My poor daddy.

We have a breakfast ADR at Kona Café (Tonga Toast!) and a dinner ADR at Skipper Canteen!! I’m so happy they opened up ADRs for Skipper Canteen, because I’ve been dying to try it, and the seat-of-your-pants same-day ADR thing would have driven me insane!

DECEMBER 8 (THURSDAY): Epcot. Originally, I was going to book the Illuminations Dessert Party on this day as a surprise for my parents, but it filled up immediately. I may also try to book the Star Wars fireworks dessert party if it runs through the fall and winter. They’ll probably like that more, TBH. We’re all kinda ambivalent when it comes to Illuminations. Fantasmic! is our favorite nighttime show, hands down. We have no ADRs on this day, so we’ll be snacking around the world!

DECEMBER 9 (FRIDAY): Magic Kingdom and our last day :( Our last day tradition is always to eat at the Plaza Restaurant, but as most of you probably know, it has gone to walk-up only. So we’ll try to eat there, but won’t mourn if we can’t. Other than that, no plans. A take-it-easy last day in the World. My mom was told this was an alternate day for Christmas Parade filming by a CM, so we may end up bailing on MK and going somewhere else if it’s too hectic.

DECEMBER 10 (SATURDAY) and DECEMBER 11 (SUNDAY): Drive home :( We never take as much time driving home as driving down. It’s not nearly as much fun :( Is it weird that I’m getting sad about the end of a vacation that hasn’t happened yet?

So those are our plans. I’ll add our FP+ hopes as we get nearer the 60-day mark. Thanks for following along! Only 97 days!!!

Last edited:

carriehpotter

Original Poster
This plan looks fantastic

Thank you :)
I had no idea BOG decorated for Christmas. Your plans look great!

Thank you! And it does! With a tree, wreathes and garland! I haven’t seen it in person yet, but I’m so excited to!
That pic of the WL lobby is STUNNING!!!
clip_image004.png

I must confess, that pic and the chocolate waffles pic are not mine. I couldn’t find my Christmas pics for my first post, so I “borrowed” one from the internet (click for the source). Here’s one of mine (and not nearly as pretty):

jKdPnBorukz_neGQRFdA8x2flZDJll314CeTSwepFL7xMCg1PHeVdDqG2-ocSWrjgAnOUjYB0IS6oUvEa6dZokBeJqcd6n74-NTTdN_srP98W_jMXVrkTSaauKMkd4IkTOlslk-qLLkadxv5X2ntMd6vVVnrZ2odR-3C-cRwQEX8mhcbu_7YImUBp9g3VQoqfMDU7xunH2ymGpu2NJSSslNpzFVjERY0bs_xw-QoqUinMa1ex8DiHbNK0GM9qXygvRbj-tptZS2FQ6PM26s0w3-JM_FN50nxyRriSwSHDn7OZ8UKoQE9ORsaQ8hA-2BuZcZ-bcfD-plazRNDUNQvysWEVEjUfGZ2p2Y4kc_n_U3zjBZzFMG7L2_XAH5SQxgLjetJNPpY5gYnbc3Rr6hn46davUjezDDOlic9rzpxc1To7KPlp76fX0l4EvMdFjAeti4EPI68ktW8iqTZc0rTegP1sz5gv5cBBLTWQy9fpYOMyRubZ9rIp-ph1Z_QxrHRjNyJN0tZxOXIPuilMDxPZT3dj57DKvoCImBmSQ4Qv2-y9txAYwYjNzu50tGrHlHu9c68o90YHctsbP0dCUPWWBDhWHN4rWxrBtdTvhsg4_qFrEA=w680-h907-no

(We need a better camera :oops: Or better photography skills...)

Thanks for reading :)
We are going to the same MVMCP as you!

Awesome! Have you been to a MVMCP before? This is our first one, which is hard to believe since it’s our 14th trip! I’m excited about it!

Mrhappyplace

Thank you! And it does! With a tree, wreathes and garland! I haven’t seen it in person yet, but I’m so excited to!

We had a breakfast adr but cancelled it because it was later then we wanted. Still hoping we can pick up a before park opening adr between now and then.

Awesome! Have you been to a MVMCP before? This is our first one, which is hard to believe since it’s our 14th trip! I’m excited about it!

I'll answer for her (as she is my wife) neither of us have been at Christmas time and we are really looking forward to it!

Last edited:

carriehpotter

Original Poster
We had a breakfast adr but cancelled it because it was later then we wanted. Still hoping we can pick up a before park opening adr between now and then.

I'll answer for her (as she is my wife) neither of us have been at Christmas time and we are really looking forward to it!
Good luck! As far as I know, it's easier to get breakfast and lunch ADRs there, so keep checking! I've never actually had a before-park-opening breakfast (my mom has threatened bodily harm), but I will someday!

That's so exciting! There's nothing quite like Disney at Christmas! Like I said, I've only been once before (and it was more crowded then I'd ever seen it before and have seen it since), but it was magical! Enjoy it! :D

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
LOVE those costumes for the Sinister Soiree!!

No Way Jose - yummmmm. I eat off the kids menu at B&C so that I have room for one, or I have someone share with me.

I love the Sci-Fi Dine In, too, for the vibe. Although I ate there last year, and it was pretty good. I enjoyed the Skipper Canteen, and I understand that getting a server who's into it is key. Ours was great.

It seems like a long time, but it'll be here before you know it! :)

carriehpotter

Original Poster
LOVE those costumes for the Sinister Soiree!!

No Way Jose - yummmmm. I eat off the kids menu at B&C so that I have room for one, or I have someone share with me.

I love the Sci-Fi Dine In, too, for the vibe. Although I ate there last year, and it was pretty good. I enjoyed the Skipper Canteen, and I understand that getting a server who's into it is key. Ours was great.

It seems like a long time, but it'll be here before you know it! :)
Thank you! My Mom made the costume, but she and my Dad drew the line at "actually" dressing up. So she made the shirts instead (which I think were even better than a "real" costume). Tons of CMs and other guests complimented us. And it made the villain character interaction at the Soiree way better (for instance, Cruella asked for her soul back because I'd never delivered the puppies, haha).

Last time at B&C, I made the mistake of getting a full meal before dessert. They rolled me outta there. But not this time! We're gonna all split something and then it's No Way Jose time! :hungry: :inlove:

Good to hear you enjoyed Sci-Fi's food! We've had mixed experiences with the food over the years, but you can't beat that vibe! Here's hoping the food matches it this time! And I really hope we get an extra puny server at Skipper Canteen!

It's 93 days away and it feels like forever, haha. But you're right...it'll be here sooner than we think! Thanks for reading :D
Great job on your first pre trip report. Can't wait to read the real one!! We are going to MNSSHP for the first time at the end of September. You made me even more excited for it!!
Thank you! I was so nervous posting it, but everyone's lovely comments (including yours!) have eased my nerves! MNSSHP might be the most fun I've ever had at Disney! I don't want to overhype (because everyone's experiences are different), but it was awesome. Dressing up is tons of fun, trick or treating (they give out GOOD candy), meeting rare characters, and watching awesome, exclusive shows, fireworks, and the Boo-To-You Parade! Enjoy your first MNSSHP!! :D

carriehpotter

Original Poster
A big update, everyone!

I have this bad habit of constantly checking the Disney website for reservations. My newest obsession has become checking the Star Wars dessert party page to see if more dates have been released (I know that the fireworks have only been extended through October, but I never claimed to not be crazy). After being told for the umpteenth time by my computer screen, that no, they haven't magically released dates for this since the fireworks aren't even officially scheduled for the time of our trip yet, I hopped over to the Tours and Events page to scowl at the Magic Behind Disney's Steam Trains tour page.

As I mentioned in a post above, my dad LOVES trains, both model and IRL, and there are no trains he loves more than Disney's! So we decided to book this tour for him (with me along for the ride...pun absolutely intended) as a surprise. But we tried multiple times with no luck and were finally told that the WDWRR would be down for refurbishment during our trip. It was down when we were in the World in 2014, too, so not only was I bummed about not being able to surprise my dad with the tour, but I was sad that he'd miss his favorite part of Disney again!

Fast forward to last Friday. I checked the dates for the tours again, and, instead of getting the "No times available" line, it said a 7:30 a.m. tour was available on December 7! I ran outside to call my mom and asked her to call Disney (I can't sit on hold where I work, unfortunately). She said she would. Of course, then I started worrying that if we scheduled the tour, would we be able to move our Kona reservation (we originally had a 11:15 a.m. ADR so we could meet my mom there after the tour, but we'd moved it to 8:50 a.m. I know my dad would hate to miss his Tonga Toast and Kona press pot!)?

Well, my mom called me back and let me know that not only had she scheduled the tour, but the CM on the phone had moved the reservation to 11:05 after my mom explained the situation. So we have our tour and our ADR! I'm so excited because I know my dad is gonna love it!! I mean, this is what he wore on Halloween during out 2014 trip:

STUDIO_HBKEYSTO_7084060675_zpsl6dutror.jpeg

(Yup, that's a t-shirt that's looks like a conductor's uniform and a conductor hat covered in Disney train pins)

Sorry for the long update, but I was too excited not to share! I'll be back soon with FP+ plans and some new stuff I've started accruing for the trip, haha.

72 days!!

Last edited:

carriehpotter

Original Poster
Whew! It's 58 days til we leave for WDW and 60 until we check-in, so you know what that means...FastPasses! Here follows our (semi-final) plans for our upcoming trip:

Thursday and Friday, 11/24-11/25
Our trip down, driving from New Jersey. Many stops will be made and much junk food will be eaten!

Saturday, 11/26
Check-In at the Boardwalk Villas!
Beaches and Cream, 3:40 p.m.
(No fastpasses. We plan to head to MK, fully understanding it will be a madhouse, just to see the Castle and soak in the atmosphere. Then back to Boardwalk for a "smorgasbord" dinner from the different carts.)

Sunday, 11/27
Animal Kingdom
Kilimanjaro Safaris, 9:20-10:20 a.m.
Expedition Everest, 4:10-5:10 p.m.
Yak & Yeti, 5:30 p.m.

Monday, 11/28
Hollywood Studios
Toy Story Mania!, 11:50-12:50 p.m.
Star Tours, 12:55-1:55 p.m.
Tower of Terror, 2:25-3:25 p.m.
Hollywood & Vine (Fantasmic Package), 4:20 p.m.
Fantasmic @ 7 p.m.

Tuesday, 11/29
Epcot
Minnie’s Beach Bash Breakfast at Cape May Café, 9:05 a.m.
Soarin’, 12:45-1:45 p.m.
Chefs de France (Candlelight Processional Package), 3:30 p.m.
Candlelight Processional (with NPH as the narrator!) @ 6:45 p.m.

Wednesday, 11/30

Magic Kingdom
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, 12:45-1:45 p.m.
Peter Pan’s Flight, 3:10-4:10 p.m.
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, 4:25-5:25 p.m.
Be Our Guest, 8:40 p.m.

Thursday, 12/1
Magic Kingdom
The Wave, 9:30 a.m.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, 11:30-12:30 p.m.
Splash Mountain, 12:45-1:45 p.m.
Space Mountain, 3:20-4:20 p.m.
Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party @ 7 p.m.

Friday, 12/2
Epcot
Frozen Ever After, 11:40-12:40 p.m.
Via Napoli, 1:20 p.m.

Saturday, 12/3
Moving/Rest Day
(No specific plans for this day, except we have to have our luggage transferred to Wilderness Lodge. There’s a hobby shop my dad likes in the area—I swear I’m not exaggerating when I say how much he loves trains!—so my mom and I will have some time to spend together. I’m excited about this, because I rarely if ever spend time with just my mom in WDW. She gets motion sickness, so it’s always my dad and I leaving her behind to go on the “big” rides. So we always spend that extra time together. I’m trying to decide what super fun thing my mom and I could do that my dad wouldn’t be sad to miss. Any suggestions?)

Sunday, 12/4
Hollywood Studios
Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, 11:50-12:50 p.m.
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater, 12:55 p.m.
For the First Time in Forever: Frozen Sing-Along, 3:00-3:15 p.m.
Tower of Terror, 4:00-5:00 p.m.

Monday, 12/5
Animal Kingdom
Tusker House, 9:05 a.m.
Kilimanjaro Safaris, 10:15-11:15 a.m.
DINOSAUR, 12:05-1:05 p.m.
Expedition Everest, 2:15-3:15 p.m.

Tuesday, 12/6
Epcot
Garden Grill, 9:15 a.m.
Test Track, 11:25-12:25 p.m.
Le Cellier, 7:00 p.m.

Wednesday, 12/7
Magic Kingdom
The Magic Behind Disney’s Steam Trains Tour @ 7:30 a.m.
Kona Café, 11:05 a.m.
Haunted Mansion, 1:00-2:00 p.m.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, 2:00-3:00 p.m.
Jungle Cruise, 3:00-4:00 p.m.
Skipper Canteen, 7:15 p.m.

Thursday, 12/8
Epcot
Frozen Ever After, 11:35-12:35 p.m.
(We plan to snack/eat around the World today!)

Friday, 12/9
Magic Kingdom
Pirates of the Caribbean, 10:15-11:15 a.m.
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, 11:30-12:30 p.m.
Space Mountain, 1:00-2:00 p.m.

Saturday and Sunday, 12/10-12/11
Go home :cry:

So that’s it: our plans. I may still add the Star Wars fireworks dessert party if they and it are extended until December (and I can manage to secure a reservation!) on 12/8, but we’ll have to see. I also still have my fingers crossed for Rivers of Light!! I will change plans for that!

Does anyone else feel weird once they reach this point? Like I keep looking at my ADRs and FPs and wondering if I made the right decisions (especially the FPs). Ugh. Oh well.

58 days til Disney!!

carriehpotter

Original Poster
Well, bah. No Star Wars fireworks in November and December. Can't say I'm not disappointed. I wish they could somehow run both shows on alternating nights (or the same night, not sure how or if that would work), but what can you do? I'm sure Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM! will be a lot of fun and I do love Prep & Landing. Now the question is (a real question, opinions are welcome!), do I follow through with my plans to do the dessert party or not? Huh.

In other, far more exciting news (at least in my humble opinion), I figured out what my mom and I can do on our rest day while my dad is at the hobby shop! She wouldn't want anything too crazy (we're supposed to be "resting," after all). I told her I'm going to surprise her with some special stuff for the day and she agreed! We've always wanted to explore Fort Wilderness, so my plan is:

1) Quick, small breakfast at Boardwalk Bakery before check-out
2) Head over to Wilderness Lodge and check-in. Here's another question: we're driving, so we'll have our own car. Should we move the luggage over ourselves or have Bell Services do it? I've heard arguments for both, so I'm unsure.
3) Briefly soak in general ambience of WL and then mom and I hop a boat to Fort Wilderness while dad leaves for hobby shop.
4) Brunch at Trail's End Restaurant at noon! I've heard good things and we love a good brunch.
5) Then, bus over to the Bike Barn to rent...fishing poles! My mom loves to fish and I read online that you can rent poles here.
6) After, I made a reservation for the Fort Wilderness Archery Experience for all three of us. Dad will have to get to Fort Wilderness and over to the Bike Barn by 2:30! My dad recently tried archery with co-workers and loved it. When he told us, my mom said, "That's something I've always wanted to do!" So this idea was born :)
7) Archery is over at 4:15 and my parents can pick whatever they want to do. Mini-golfing, Disney Springs (though I imagine it will be quite crowded on a Saturday), back to WL for swimming and dinner. Whatever they want! I tend to dictate our Disney vacations (mostly because I plan them), so I want them to decide!

Thanks for listening to me ramble again. I'm so excited for this day! Could people let me know if they think it will work logistically? How long does it usually take for the internal FW buses? I've never ridden one before. Thanks!

Only 41 days until we leave for WDW!!

carriehpotter

Original Poster
Hi all!

I can’t believe I’m only 20 days away! I was doing the three week dance yesterday, for sure! Since it’s getting so close, I thought I’d fill you guys in on some of the things I’ve been preparing for our trip.

When I was a kid, my mom always put together a little activity pack for me for the car ride of big trips (since we always drove everywhere, including all over Canada and out to Green Bay, Wisconsin and Chicago, as well as down to Disney). Little activity books, toys, and sometimes new tapes (and CDs as time went on) were included. As I got older, the packs evolved, but kept coming. I’d get craft kits (like easy yarn cross stitch or mini-looms), mini color-your-own fuzzy posters and occasionally new DVDs to watch in the car.

This woman even had one for me in 2014 (when I was 25!), just because she knew I looked forward to them like a nerd. What I’m trying to say is, my mom is awesome (my dad is, too, of course!) and I decided that for this trip, I wanted to make them “packs” of their own to thank them for being so awesome. But mine would be a little different, in that it would be stuff for the trip ahead instead of for the car ride!

I plan to buy a Disney reusable tote (most likely Christmas-themed) to put each “pack” in, but those are the only things I haven’t purchased yet. Here’s what I have so far. I got them each a Christmas t-shirt to wear to MVMCP. I wanted something a little different than the typical Etsy stuff (which is fine, but not really “us”), so I ordered these shirts on teepublic.com:

rdv44saYQXzwGMZ1vUc-HxJscAcyJE-UvyFZRvU4ArJZI_yGNDI2VZLIR1wKX-B0E1FmtYdBeA=w1280-h720-no

The Rocket and Groot one is for my dad and the Buzz/LGM one is for my mom! If you didn’t guess, my dad loves GotG and my mom’s favorite character is Buzz Lightyear!

I got my dad a new WDWRR pin and my mom a Disney TAG convertible shoulder bag/ pack (she said she needed a new one, but I shall attempt to dissuade her until the big pack reveal the day before we leave!).

pack%20and%20pin_zpsg5zo0hxm.jpg

I also started subscribing to Main Street Creations (they deliver snacks and candy direct from WDW every month...here’s a link) in October, hoping to get some WDW treats to include. Unfortunately (and I should have foreseen this), October’s box was entirely Halloween themed (which wouldn’t work for a Christmas trip!), so I gave that box to them already and am hoping November’s box has more generic or Christmas-themed stuff I can include!

I also got them each a silly Disney-themed card game for the hotels at night on the way down:

games_zpsagnobjn3.jpg

And I got A BUNCH of buttons from Parkbound! A got a couple for each of us that were pre-made on the Parkbound site:

MOM’S:
moms%20pins_zpslhjf2q7h.jpg

DAD’S:
dads%20pins_zpsfcr4hw9p.jpg

MINE:
my%20pins_zpsuogxsajy.jpg

But I also got some custom-made buttons from the Parkbound Etsy shop! I’m pretty proud of the ones that I came up with and helped design:

lgm%20pins_zpsanb4l5kw.jpg

My mom is the claw and my dad and I are the LGMs ;-)

home%20pins_zpsvsehaui1.jpg

I feel like this one is self-explanatory, haha.

And I also got us each a special custom button:

MOM’S:
buzz%20pin_zpsrgp7dmqc.jpg

Did I mention Buzz is her favorite character?

DAD’S:
all%20aboard%20pin_zps4kwmswbd.jpg

I KNOW I mentioned how much my dad loves trains!!

MINE:
zeusy_zpsj6eqxpls.jpg

And I’m pretty sure my icon and MNSSHP costume gave away the fact that Hades is my all-time favorite Disney character!

Finally, I got them each a book (well, my mom got two books) themed to what they individually love about Disney, and I’m hiding their tour reveals in them:

DAD’S:
all%20aboard%20book_zpsuboxpf6p.jpg

MOM’S:
FN14EUErYbDiYA1gLaMQKVr2gNwMtiK-QU0p3My7uq_BBOIWfqrANXK0dU6QenR-S744ChAN9Q=w1280-h720-no

I was worried my mom would feel left out, since my dad and I are doing the Magic Behind Disney’s Steam Trains tour without her (of course, she said she didn’t want to do it), so as an additional treat, I booked all three of us on the Walt Disney: Marceline to Magic Kingdom tour after reading @gwhb75 's report and how much he and his family enjoyed it (thanks for the recommendation!!). It’s on our last full day, Friday, December 9 (it was the only day we had free that was available to book). It’s weird to do something like that on our last day, but at the same time, I think it will give us something to look forward to so we’re not dreading that last day, as well!

If you’ve gotten to the end of this super long post, thanks! We also decided to book the Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM! Dessert Party on Thursday, Dec. 8 (we’ll hop from Epcot to HS), and my mom knows about it, but my dad is in the dark! Actually, my dad doesn’t know about any of the special stuff except the Fantasmic! Dining Package :hilarious:. He is sure gonna be surprised all vacation!

And last week, because I am actually insane, I noticed that the IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party was available on Friday, Dec. 2, so I went ahead and booked it as another treat/surprise for my parents. I’m going to let them know about it more than 24-hours in advance, though, in case they’d rather not do it (which I doubt, but I want to give them the option).

My mom has commented lately that we’ve been so many times, she wanted to take it easy this time and just enjoy ourselves, as well as trying things we’ve never done before. I don’t know about the first wish, but I definitely have fulfilled the second!

In total, we have two dinner packages (Fantasmic! and Candlelight Processional), one MVMCP, two tours, two dessert parties, and the archery experience! This trip will DEFINITELY be new and different! I’m genuinely not sure when my parents and I will next get to the World together, since I’m getting older and will (hopefully) be moving out on my own soon, and they’re getting older as well. So, I wanted to go all out to make the most of this trip!

Thanks for getting through to the end of this. I’m sorry I word- and picture-vomited everywhere. But I’m just so excited!

Only 20 days!!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom