Only a 7-night stay?

slipperalwaysfits

Original Poster
We were playing around on the DVC website this weekend and noticed that you can book points for a 7-night stay. It seems like you can book vacations but they seem somewhat firm on the "Seven night stay" deal. I know you can borrow points from next year.

We live in Colorado and with our work schedules, we are blessed enough to take an 8/9 night trip to Disney World or Aulani. Is this still a possibility as a DVC member? I'm assuming we just have to borrow points from the next year?

We are the kinds of people that like to go every year so it looks like if we bought into the 150-174 point range, it would allow us to have a deluxe studio and go multiple times a year.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I believe you can stay up to 30 days on a DVC reservation if you own enough points, or bank and borrow. We typically go from Saturday to the following Sunday and had no problem reserving all the days on the website for our September trip.

Be careful about staying in a 1 bedroom. :cool: We own several hundred points, and almost always stay in a 1 bedroom now, even with only my DW and I. You’ll end up loving the extra space and amenities that the 1 bedroom has over a studio.

Of course we do sometimes still choose a studio. Our trip next week to Aulani is in a studio for 9 days, but we opted for the ocean view instead of a 1 bedroom for this trip.

We have been DVC members for well over a decade, so ask away if you have questions. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here who are happy to help.

correcaminos

It's simply for initial booking. For any days after that just call member services each day after and add to it. It you booked at 6 months you could actually book 30 days. This is done just do people aren't hording rooms that they do not intend to use.

You can borrow from the next year, but you do not need to borrow just to book at 7 or 11 months. But enough points to keep from borrowing every year because at some point you will run out.

slipperalwaysfits

Original Poster
Thanks! Before we actually take the DVC leap, we'll have to look at our budget and make sure we purchase enough points for our annual trip. I'm glad to know the booking is so flexible! We went to Aulani last year for our honeymoon and absolutely loved it!! It was a gifted trip for us, so we didn't have many expenses. The studios are perfect for us, we don't have kids and a studio has everything we need. We are the kinds of people who are happy to be there. We had a pool view this past time and next time, I'd definitely want a pool or ocean view. Being a DVC member for WDW, I'm not so sure the views matter as much to me, initially. Though it'd be amazing to have a Savanna view or view of the Boardwalk at those resorts!

correcaminos

Thanks! Before we actually take the DVC leap, we'll have to look at our budget and make sure we purchase enough points for our annual trip. I'm glad to know the booking is so flexible! We went to Aulani last year for our honeymoon and absolutely loved it!! It was a gifted trip for us, so we didn't have many expenses. The studios are perfect for us, we don't have kids and a studio has everything we need. We are the kinds of people who are happy to be there. We had a pool view this past time and next time, I'd definitely want a pool or ocean view. Being a DVC member for WDW, I'm not so sure the views matter as much to me, initially. Though it'd be amazing to have a Savanna view or view of the Boardwalk at those resorts!
Just so you know, studios are the first to book up. Also BW views are harder to get. Savanna is easiest out of AKL.

Some times of the year it is easier to book and others are not. So research or ask away about it, but be sure to be educated about the ease of booking and such before you decide where to buy (if you do)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Just so you know, studios are the first to book up. Also BW views are harder to get. Savanna is easiest out of AKL.

Some times of the year it is easier to book and others are not. So research or ask away about it, but be sure to be educated about the ease of booking and such before you decide where to buy (if you do)
I agree. The 1 bedrooms are the last to be booked. Sometimes a bit easier at difficult times. We are in a 1 bedroom in the Boardwalk during Food & Wine.

slipperalwaysfits

Original Poster
Good to know the studios fill up first! Is there a thread on here somewhere about which resorts are easiest/hardest to book? Obviously, we know we have to plan in advance so we're ready when the booking window opens.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well, not a thread per se. During Food&Wine, the Beach Club and Boardwalk fill up quickly, especially the studios. 1 bedrooms can still be had at the 7 month mark if your dates are flexible. Grand Floridian can be hard anytime, as it is a small number of rooms. Same with Boulder Ridge and Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge. Of course, if you don’t own at a resort and have to wait for your 7 month window, flexibility is needed. We have always reserved at SSR initially and then switched at 7 months. Rarely have we not gotten a different resort that we wanted. YMMV.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

We were playing around on the DVC website this weekend and noticed that you can book points for a 7-night stay. It seems like you can book vacations but they seem somewhat firm on the "Seven night stay" deal. I know you can borrow points from next year.

We live in Colorado and with our work schedules, we are blessed enough to take an 8/9 night trip to Disney World or Aulani. Is this still a possibility as a DVC member? I'm assuming we just have to borrow points from the next year?

We are the kinds of people that like to go every year so it looks like if we bought into the 150-174 point range, it would allow us to have a deluxe studio and go multiple times a year.

Read that booking stuff again :). DVC generally lets you book seven days. WAIT three days from your 11 month window? You can book a 10 day vacation.... and so on.

No need to use unethical "walking" tricks (and I wish DVC would BAN this). Dear wife and I visit our Home Resort, twice per year, 8 nights per vacation. We just wait 1 day from our 11 month window to book, We fly from MI.... so we get "a little longer vacation" :).

But DO (please?) use that wonderful 11 month window at the Resort you chose :).

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom