Online Renewal of Annual Passes - Disney's Attempt to Force Passholders to Upgrade?

VaderTron

Original Poster
For many reasons I have enumerated elsewhere on this site, we will not be renewing our Annual Pass this year. However, just for kicks I wanted to see what the prices went up to for renewal compared to last year. I tried to look on the new "renew on your phone" feature. This is what I saw:

ScreenHunter 165.png

I clicked on "Renew Passes and Save"

Interestingly, when I got to this next screen the site disabled my screenshot as it said it was for "security reasons". Convenient, since this is the screen that lies to you. "The pass type owned by the Guest you're renewing for (Weekday Select) is no longer sold. Please select a new pass type. Wow, no longer sold? So they have gotten rid of the Weekday Select? Well...let's just see about Gold or Silver then...wait NOPE. Not there either. Just Platinum and Platinum Plus. That can't be right...

ScreenHunter 164.png

So, I abandon the heavily advertised "convenience" of using the new in-app renewal service and try for online renewal. Again, only Platinum Plus and Platinum are available.

ScreenHunter 163.png
ScreenHunter 162.png

I think to myself, "Surely this can't be right. I know! I'll get some help with the handy chat feature." I look and the chat link is dark. I hover over it and it says that all cast members are busy assisting others. No problem. I just will wait. 10 minutes later I try furiously clicking on it since it's still dark. I navigate over to a FL Resident vacation package page that's trying to sell me a room and ticket package. Then the chat feature "magically" turns back on. I click it and wait for a cast member to acknowledge. It takes only 30 seconds or so. Here is a portion of the chat:

ScreenHunter 160.png

I said yes, that I was well within the window as the pass expires next month (60 day window prior to expiration).
The cast member asked for me to provide my information in a secure window so they could access my account. After several minutes they responded:

ScreenHunter 159.png

I would have added more screen shots, but by the time the conversation ended all the chat history disappeared. (Note to self, prioritize screenshots while chatting so they can't deny what they said.)

So, to sum it all up...

1) When trying to renew a cheaper annual pass (FL Residents only) on the app it lied and told me the pass was no longer available and that I would have to upgrade to one of their two most expensive annual passes.
2) When trying to renew online I was also only given the two most expensive passes as an option to renew.
3) When trying to get assistance from a cast member they said their system wasn't able to override it.
4) I was directed back to 1890's technology to renew over the phone.

Question for discussion: Is this a subtle way to try to get impatient and/or gullible passholders to upgrade to the more expensive pass? Since there are no refunds given on passes, when the person finds out later they could have bought the cheaper pass it will be too late. And most will not have a screenshot with Disney's outright lie that the pass is no longer available to fight them with.

VaderTron

Original Poster
Honestly, this sounds like for some reason the system was simply not seeing you as a FL resident, making all the cheaper options you mentioned unavailable.

I could buy that argument if the site wasn't offering me a FL Resident discount on a vacation package, or showing me FL resident offers on the front page, or offering me hotel rooms with a FL resident discount. It even shows me the FL resident passes (Gold, Silver, Weekday, Theme Park, Epcot After 4, Water Parks, Water Parks After 2pm) on the page that asks me to renew.

ScreenHunter 168.png
ScreenHunter 167.png
ScreenHunter 166.png

ScreenHunter 169.png
ScreenHunter 170.png
ScreenHunter 171.png
ScreenHunter 172.png

Last edited:

VaderTron

Original Poster
Regardless, of what the cause of the error is (intentional or incidental), the fact that the wording chosen by Disney says the PASS TYPE owned by the Guest is NO LONGER SOLD is intentionally misleading. If it was due to the fact that the system thought I did not qualify because it did not recognize me as a FL resident it should say something like "The pass type owned by the Guest is only available for Florida residents." To say it's no longer SOLD is intentionally misleading.

bUU

With software, there is no way to tell the difference between something that is incidentally misleading and intentionally misleading. It could just be that that scenario was not considered common enough to set up a separate set of messages, and so the default message for each was used instead. I find situations like that all the time in the software my company creates.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The system could just be having a problem. I am currently trying to renew my platinum pass via the app and when it gets to the "review and sign" screen, it just gives me the "loading" message and nothing happens.

ETA: I logged in on the website and was able to renew with no problem and got the 15% discount.

VaderTron

Original Poster
The system could just be having a problem. I am currently trying to renew my platinum pass via the app and when it gets to the "review and sign" screen, it just gives me the "loading" message and nothing happens.

ETA: I logged in on the website and was able to renew with no problem and got the 15% discount.

Yes, I also had the option to renew at an upgraded level of platinum or platinum plus pass. The issue isn't that I can't get the online system to work it's that I am funneled to the two most expensive passes. If the system wasn't operating correctly then I shouldn't be able to renew at ANY pass level. It's just the discounted passes that conveniently are not available.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Yes, I also had the option to renew at an upgraded level of platinum or platinum plus pass. The issue isn't that I can't get the online system to work it's that I am funneled to the two most expensive passes. If the system wasn't operating correctly then I shouldn't be able to renew at ANY pass level. It's just the discounted passes that conveniently are not available.

If you are a DVC member, the MDE system and website will not reflect that and also direct you to the standard price renewals. I was expecting that I would need to contact DVC member services, but just wanted to see out of curiosity.

VaderTron

Original Poster
If you are a DVC member, the MDE system and website will not reflect that and also direct you to the standard price renewals. I was expecting that I would need to contact DVC member services, but just wanted to see out of curiosity.

I am not a DVC member.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Did you call in or did you try to renew in the app?
So you mentioned that you tried to renew through the app, but the title of your thread is Online Renewal. That is NOT the same thing. The app still has many issues that need fixing, and quite obviously, this is one of them. The MDE website is working, and you would have been presented with all of the correct options.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Actually, that isn't true. If you have linked your DVC membership to MDE, it does recognize you, and gives you all of the DVC member options for APs and renewals. At least it has for us.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Actually, that isn't true. If you have linked your DVC membership to MDE, it does recognize you, and gives you all of the DVC member options for APs and renewals. At least it has for us.

My MDE is linked to my DVC membership, shows that I am a member and my current pass is a DVC Platinum Plus Pass. When you are prompted for the renewal it took me to the generic landing for AP renewals. When I called AP help desk they said this happens all the time with DVC renewals and transferred me to DVC member services.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
My MDE is linked to my DVC membership, shows that I am a member and my current pass is a DVC Platinum Plus Pass. When you are prompted for the renewal it took me to the generic landing for AP renewals. When I called AP help desk they said this happens all the time with DVC renewals and transferred me to DVC member services.
Must be new, as ours worked fine last year. We renewed our Gold Pass without issue. One step forward, two steps back for Disney IT every year. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom