One Year Prediction

AugieMorosco

Original Poster
My father is retiring (for a second time) near the end of this year. For years, he's been talking about wanting to go with us on a WDW trip to celebrate and now the time is upon us. We are planning the trip for late January/early February 2022. Once packages were released, I started thinking about the planning and I'm really unsure what I think the parks will look like in a year. It's still a year away and I'm sure some things will be expedited for the 50th, but Chapek is running things. I'm not sure how confident I am he's going to aggressively build the parks experience back up, even if most covid restrictions are no longer necessary by then. I'd like to hear predictions or thoughts from others. What do you think will be back by then? What do you think won't?

Weather_Lady

This will be a fun thread to revisit in a year to see how people's predictions shake out!

Totally spitballing here, but my pardonably cynical assumptions for February-ish 2022 would be...
  • All dining venues will have reopened and be operating nearer to capacity, but the dining plan won't yet be back. The restaurant booking window will have increased from the current 60 days.
  • A pay-to-play version of Fastpass will have been announced, if not introduced, as part of the new "Genie" app experience. It will be similar to Disneyland's Maxpass, but I project it will cost five times the price - at DL, it's a bargain at $20 per person per day. Free-with-your-ticket Fastpass will never return.
  • "Early Morning Magic" and "After-Hours" (pay-extra, early entry or post-closing) experiences will again be on offer, and seasonal parties will have returned, with limited capacity -- and these will be the only places to see a parade or fireworks until the end of 2022.
  • Park passes will still be required, although parkhopping rules will be relaxed (e.g., no time limits, but still subject to capacity limits).
  • Daily full housekeeping at hotels will be offered if you pay extra, but will never again be included with your room's rack rate.
  • Mask-wearing and distancing rules will still be in place, but some of the plexiglass barriers will be removed and attractions will be operating nearer to full capacity.
  • On-property transportation will be operating nearer to full capacity and regular hours, with the Epcot monorail back open.
  • The Princess and the Frog makeover of Splash Mountain will shutter the attraction for at least 2 years, and construction on Tron and GoTG will not remotely be finished, but the Star Wars hotel will be.
  • Park hours will remain truncated, even during busy times. "Early park entry" will be up and running for onsite guests and those at good neighbor hotels, causing a need for additional construction and revamping of park entrances to handle the congestion that's created by offsite early birds who can't enter until official park opening, and onsite early birds who are trying to get past them to get in.
  • Mears will be laughing all the way to the bank as guests opt to pay more for "Magical Express" airport transfers out of habit and/or nostalgia than they'd pay to book private towncar (or possibly even limo) transportation.
  • [in my best Kanye voice]: Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion will remain among the most spectacular and well-designed attractions of all time -- of all time!

Last edited:

Shouldigo12

I agree with about 85% of the above- although I'm saying which 15% I don't think will happen, because every time I do I'm proven wrong haha- but to add on I think the street performances, as I believe they were called, are still very touch and go. If I had to make a hard prediction I would say the most popular will come back (provided the performers agree to come back), and the rest will either be cut or replaced with something different. They're probably looking closely at the surveys right now to see which ones people mention as missing and which ones people don't notice are even gone.

Daily Magic

This will be a fun thread to revisit in a year to see how people's predictions shake out!

Totally spitballing here, but my pardonably cynical assumptions for February-ish 2022 would be...
  • All dining venues will have reopened and be operating nearer to capacity, but the dining plan won't yet be back. The restaurant booking window will have increased from the current 60 days.
  • A pay-to-play version of Fastpass will have been announced, if not introduced, as part of the new "Genie" app experience. It will be similar to Disneyland's Maxpass, but I project it will cost five times the price - at DL, it's a bargain at $20 per person per day. Free-with-your-ticket Fastpass will never return.
  • "Early Morning Magic" and "After-Hours" (pay-extra, early entry or post-closing) experiences will again be on offer, and seasonal parties will have returned, with limited capacity -- and these will be the only places to see a parade or fireworks until the end of 2022.
  • Park passes will still be required, although parkhopping rules will be relaxed (e.g., no time limits, but still subject to capacity limits).
  • Daily full housekeeping at hotels will be offered if you pay extra, but will never again be included with your room's rack rate.
  • Mask-wearing and distancing rules will still be in place, but some of the plexiglass barriers will be removed and attractions will be operating nearer to full capacity.
  • On-property transportation will be operating nearer to full capacity and regular hours, with the Epcot monorail back open.
  • The Princess and the Frog makeover of Splash Mountain will shutter the attraction for at least 2 years, and construction on Tron and GoTG will not remotely be finished, but the Star Wars hotel will be.
  • Park hours will remain truncated, even during busy times. "Early park entry" will be up and running for onsite guests and those at good neighbor hotels, causing a need for additional construction and revamping of park entrances to handle the congestion that's created by offsite early birds who can't enter until official park opening, and onsite early birds who are trying to get past them to get in.
  • Mears will be laughing all the way to the bank as guests opt to pay more for "Magical Express" airport transfers out of habit and/or nostalgia than they'd pay to book private towncar (or possibly even limo) transportation.
  • [in my best Kanye voice]: Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion will remain among the most spectacular and well-designed attractions of all time -- of all time!
I don’t want to see so much of this happen but I have to agree with it. I know that the pandemic will be used as an excuse for so many changes Disney wishes they could have implemented years ago. Give less and charge more is the goal. The sad thing is that so many of us will do it and they’ll keep getting away with it.

I have an upcoming trip planned and out of habit I booked everything the same way I’ve been doing for past trips but I realize how much more I’m paying for less. No baggage transfer, fast pass, full park hours, airport check in, daily housekeeping, no EMH (yet), no nighttime entertainment... they still find way to reintegrate some of these things but then offer them as a new service and charge for them.

My next trip to Disney will likely be the first one I’ve ever booked to stay offsite bc the price just isn’t being justified anymore.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Of course no one has a crystal ball but now with how quickly vaccines are going to roll out and the hopeful outlook that by summer 2021 things will START to become more normal I'd predict that by next late January /early February most if not all experiences at Disney will return especially parades and fireworks and less social distancing so more capacity on attractions and God willing no more masks.

AugieMorosco

Original Poster
I agree with about 85% of the above- although I'm saying which 15% I don't think will happen, because every time I do I'm proven wrong haha- but to add on I think the street performances, as I believe they were called, are still very touch and go. If I had to make a hard prediction I would say the most popular will come back (provided the performers agree to come back), and the rest will either be cut or replaced with something different. They're probably looking closely at the surveys right now to see which ones people mention as missing and which ones people don't notice are even gone.
For me, the street performances are so much of what make Disney magical. Even if you're unaware of the performers, when you're walking around and come across a performance, it feels so alive and festive. I've got real concerns about them returning, but I am reserving some hope. Maybe not full-throttle in a year, but hopefully at least headed that direction.

AugieMorosco

Original Poster
Of course no one has a crystal ball but now with how quickly vaccines are going to roll out and the hopeful outlook that by summer 2021 things will START to become more normal I'd predict that by next late January /early February most if not all experiences at Disney will return especially parades and fireworks and less social distancing so more capacity on attractions and God willing no more masks.
Wearing them does not bother me, but they are an indicator that things are still not "back to normal". If they're still around in 2021, it's likely the parks are still not ramped back up with shows, live performers, character M&Gs, etc.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Wearing them does not bother me, but they are an indicator that things are still not "back to normal". If they're still around in 2021, it's likely the parks are still not ramped back up with shows, live performers, character M&Gs, etc.

Didn't the CEO say they would likely stick around through this year?
But then again that was when we thought the vaccine roll out would take until September and now its May.
I comply with masks but I haven't found one that I could wear all day at Disney yet.
I wear glasses and have tried different anti fog sprays, silicone spacers, and a variety of masks and nothing has helped.
I also have extremely sensitive skin and I find scratchs on my face every time after I wear a mask.

AugieMorosco

Original Poster
I don’t want to see so much of this happen but I have to agree with it. I know that the pandemic will be used as an excuse for so many changes Disney wishes they could have implemented years ago. Give less and charge more is the goal. The sad thing is that so many of us will do it and they’ll keep getting away with it.

I have an upcoming trip planned and out of habit I booked everything the same way I’ve been doing for past trips but I realize how much more I’m paying for less. No baggage transfer, fast pass, full park hours, airport check in, daily housekeeping, no EMH (yet), no nighttime entertainment... they still find way to reintegrate some of these things but then offer them as a new service and charge for them.

My next trip to Disney will likely be the first one I’ve ever booked to stay offsite bc the price just isn’t being justified anymore.
I believe there is a limited time frame that this will be effective. I had a July 2020 trip and, by absolute luck/chance of my dates, was in the parks the second day they reopened. Mixed emotions. It was cool to ride everything without lines and without heavy crowds, but it did not feel the same. Restaurants closed, kiosks closed, no performers. I told my wife "this looks like Six Flags bought a Disney park." I think many of us are going and being okay with it now solely because of the circumstance, but we won't be forever. After a trip, I am usually aching to rebook. Right now, I'm holding off. If we get to summer, and it looks like the parks will remain a gutted experience into 2021, I will try to talk my dad into rescheduling. I am not sure how close they have to get back to pre-pandemic offerings to satisfy fans like me, but I know it needs to be much closer to that than to what it is now.

AugieMorosco

Original Poster
Didn't the CEO say they would likely stick around through this year?
But then again that was when we thought the vaccine roll out would take until September and now its May.
I comply with masks but I haven't found one that I could wear all day at Disney yet.
I wear glasses and have tried different anti fog sprays, silicone spacers, and a variety of masks and nothing has helped.
I also have extremely sensitive skin and I find scratchs on my face every time after I wear a mask.
I wear only the Disney XL ones now, as they are the most comfortable I've found. I wear them all day at work without any issue. If it were as uncomfortable as most of the other masks I've tried, I would be right there with you.

StarshipDisney

I just hope they bring back more incentive to staying on property. Right now I just do not see paying such a premium cost for what is currently offered. I will not stop going, but I am hoping they can lure me back or else all future trips will likely be on the cheap. I cannot believe just how much cheaper it is to stay off site in a very high quality accommodation. Please bring back some incentive.

yensid67

"My next trip to Disney will likely be the first one I’ve ever booked to stay offsite bc the price just isn’t being justified anymore."
FINALLY!!!! Someone with the smarts and guts to do THIS!
I have NEVER stayed on property, I would LOVE to just ONCE for the experience. BUT I will not pay for a themed hotel just as a place to sleep and shower. If I were younger and had kids(I don't think they would like my 2 dogs swimming in the Little Mermaid pool) I would CONSIDER IT. But being 54, that these feelings have passed.

The ONLY WAY Disney will get the message from guests, that their prices are RIDICULOUS is by guests doing exactly this and when and if you are surveyed, we need to express these thoughts on the surveys. MAYBE they will finally get the message and listen. If they do then they want to make it possible for EVERYONE to enjoy DISNEY, if they choose not to and it becomes increase after increase, we will know this will become a park that only very few can afford, thus beginning its demise, because those that can afford a Disney vacation in the furture(if things increase) will be limited and dwindle out, then Disney closes! OR comes to their senses and makes immediate drastic changes!

**Sorry for the RANT, but I don't want to see this happen!!**

eliza61nyc

FINALLY!!!! Someone with the smarts and guts to do THIS!
I have NEVER stayed on property, I would LOVE to just ONCE for the experience. BUT I will not pay for a themed hotel just as a place to sleep and shower. If I were younger and had kids(I don't think they would like my 2 dogs swimming in the Little Mermaid pool) I would CONSIDER IT. But being 54, that these feelings have passed.

The ONLY WAY Disney will get the message from guests, that their prices are RIDICULOUS is by guests doing exactly this and when and if you are surveyed, we need to express these thoughts on the surveys. MAYBE they will finally get the message and listen. If they do then they want to make it possible for EVERYONE to enjoy DISNEY, if they choose not to and it becomes increase after increase, we will know this will become a park that only very few can afford, thus beginning its demise, because those that can afford a Disney vacation in the furture(if things increase) will be limited and dwindle out, then Disney closes! OR comes to their senses and makes immediate drastic changes!

**Sorry for the RANT, but I don't want to see this happen!!**
question? who says their prices are ridiculous? seriously.

The object of a business is to make money, it's not a charity. Disney should and absolutely has an obligation to charge what the market can bear. Now just because you find the prices ridiculous does not mean everyone else has to march to your tune.

People have been prophesying for decades about how Disney was going to go under because they were expensive.
I'm not staying off site because I love onsite. Period. so I will pay whatever Disney charges and if I can afford it. If I don't stay onsite I stay home.

So no I don't agree with the insinuation that people who stay on sight don't have any "smarts" or "guts" because they choose to make different vacation plans than you.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Now as to one year prediction. I guess mines are more of "wishes".

Personally I think the parks will go back to being packed. I think cost is not going to be a factor. after the last year nad a half, I've know people that are ready to sell their kidneys just to get out of the house and eat out comfortably. my family has been looking at beach rentals at Folly beach, :greedy::greedy: 4, 5,6K for a rental easy and the week we are considering is 85% booked.

I hope night time fireworks are back. I'm actually hoping that they are back in September when we go.

AugieMorosco

Original Poster
Now as to one year prediction. I guess mines are more of "wishes".

Personally I think the parks will go back to being packed. I think cost is not going to be a factor. after the last year nad a half, I've know people that are ready to sell their kidneys just to get out of the house and eat out comfortably. my family has been looking at beach rentals at Folly beach, :greedy::greedy: 4, 5,6K for a rental easy and the week we are considering is 85% booked.

I hope night time fireworks are back. I'm actually hoping that they are back in September when we go.
More packed than January/February has been in recent pre-COVID years? I've only been to WDW in the summer, but I'm over the heat and humidity. The weather makes Disneyland so much more of an enjoyable location to visit in summer. We decided to plan this trip during the end of the winter months for better weather and reduced crowds. No guarantee of either, but playing the odds.

AugieMorosco

Original Poster
question? who says their prices are ridiculous? seriously.

The object of a business is to make money, it's not a charity. Disney should and absolutely has an obligation to charge what the market can bear. Now just because you find the prices ridiculous does not mean everyone else has to march to your tune.

People have been prophesying for decades about how Disney was going to go under because they were expensive.
I'm not staying off site because I love onsite. Period. so I will pay whatever Disney charges and if I can afford it. If I don't stay onsite I stay home.

So no I don't agree with the insinuation that people who stay on sight don't have any "smarts" or "guts" because they choose to make different vacation plans than you.
I'm with you. You can't really defend the "value" of any luxury purchase, including Disney trips in general. That's what makes them luxury. As Disney has removed some tangible benefits (EMH, Magical Express, FP+), the parts that are more subjective are now a bit more exposed. Being in the bubble. Going to sleep, knowing everything around you is authentically Disney. That can really shift the mindset of some, and not much for others. I love being onsite, but the tangible benefits also matter to me. Magical Express, EMH, and FP+ made sure I never gave it a second thought. I may not stay offsite on my next trip, but I will at least give it some consideration. If I were in a higher income bracket, onsite would probably still be a slam dunk for me.

91JLovesDisney

The Princess and the Frog makeover of Splash Mountain will shutter the attraction for at least 2 years, and construction on Tron and GoTG will not remotely be finished, but the Star Wars hotel will be.
I don't think that's gonna happen till the 50th celebration has ended, personally. Also I think Tron will be done by mid-late December. Just my opinion.

Shouldigo12

I'm with you. You can't really defend the "value" of any luxury purchase, including Disney trips in general. That's what makes them luxury. As Disney has removed some tangible benefits (EMH, Magical Express, FP+), the parts that are more subjective are now a bit more exposed. Being in the bubble. Going to sleep, knowing everything around you is authentically Disney. That can really shift the mindset of some, and not much for others. I love being onsite, but the tangible benefits also matter to me. Magical Express, EMH, and FP+ made sure I never gave it a second thought. I may not stay offsite on my next trip, but I will at least give it some consideration. If I were in a higher income bracket, onsite would probably still be a slam dunk for me.
I'll third that sentiment. We all have different things that make a price "worth it" for us.

JIMINYCR

One Year from Now....
It will be highly recommended that all guests have recieved a Covid vaccination prior to being on Disney property. ( recommended but not required ) Proof of such can be scanned onto your MDE and appears on your MB. Those unable to show proof of vaccinations will be required to wear masks as presently mandated. Special colored bracelets will be given at the time of resort check in or entrances to parks and worn to signify vaccine or non vaccine guests.
Hours will be extended to allow guests more park time.
A different level of FP+ will be implemented... tied to your booked resort days. Guests on site will get the perk as a reward for loyalty.
All resorts will be operational and bookings will rise in record time and cause Disney to decide to build more resorts in areas once rejected.
Entertainment in all forms will be brought back with more CM dinner theater roles. Past and new unique Street Characters will appear.
All CM's will be back working the parks in normal force. The employed numbers for FL will again rise in the park industry. Disney leading.
The CP will also have been started up again.
Ep will continue to fill their calendar with festivals so that every month of the year will be event dedicated.
DDP will have returned at the same pricing but with limitations on snack numbers and participating restaurants.
Disneys profits will rebound to make up for the Covid shortfalls and once again stockholders will see big returns on their investments, top execs and managers will benefit with exorbitant bonuses.
The continuation of threads devoted to "Disney is out-priced for the little guy", "Resort costs are unreasonable", "Disney ticket prices are poor value" and " I wont be going back to Disney" will appear more as the numbers of returning guests book reservations.

And I will be trying to convince DW that WE NEED BOOK AGAIN because Tron is now running.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom