One Time Use Points - Cancel & Re book Question

FrostyNaples

Original Poster
Curious if anyone has gone through this process.

As I understand, one time user points cannot be banked. I'm looking to cancel my existing reservation, and re book another, and I will have a surplus of points after the re booking.

Since a CM has to handle the transaction anyways, during the re book, is it at all possible for them to use the One Time Use points "first", so that the surplus left is of my own original points? That would allow me to bank the extra points, being my own.

What do you think? Anyone try this or what was your experience?

JaxFLBear

Since a CM has to handle the transaction anyways, during the re book, is it at all possible for them to use the One Time Use points "first", so that the surplus left is of my own original points? That would allow me to bank the extra points, being my own.
Yes, they should use the OTU points first. You might want to remind the CM about those OTU points just in case.

Janir

Please post ip the results of your rebooking effort and how the points get used up. That's great information for the rest of us going forward.

nickys

Premium Member
Curious if anyone has gone through this process.

As I understand, one time user points cannot be banked. I'm looking to cancel my existing reservation, and re book another, and I will have a surplus of points after the re booking.

What do you think? Anyone try this or what was your experience?

Yes, but only if the points you want to replace with the OTU points are not used to make the booking within the home resort booking window. Otherwise it would be circumventing the home resort priority and the CMs will not do it.

dreamfinder

Yes, but only if the points you want to replace with the OTU points are not used to make the booking within the home resort booking window. Otherwise it would be circumventing the home resort priority and the CMs will not do it.

But you should in theory be able to call back after the 7 month window opens and ask them to re-balance the points. This just becomes sticky based on when the other non OTU points need to be banked and such.

JaxFLBear

Nothing in the OP says they want to replace points on an existing reservation with OTU points. The OP said they wanted to cancel an existing reservation and BOOK a new one. Since the existing reservation uses OTU points, it was made at 7 month or less from check-in.

nickys

Premium Member
But you should in theory be able to call back after the 7 month window opens and ask them to re-balance the points. This just becomes sticky based on when the other non OTU points need to be banked and such.

Not if this would circumvent the home resort booking.

Let’s say I own at SSR, for cheap points and at GFV. I book GFV at 11 months, and at 7 months out I manage to add a couple of nights using SSR points. I cannot just phone and get them to rebalance the points so that I use either all my SSR points first, or replace some of those GFV points with OTU points.

That would be circumventing the home resort priority, and let me use my valued GFV points to book another stay at 11 months.

You would only be allowed to do that if there was still availability at GFV to rebook.

You can get them to rebalance if you want to use banked points rather than current points, or across two contracts for the same resort.

nickys

Premium Member
Nothing in the OP says they want to replace points on an existing reservation with OTU points. The OP said they wanted to cancel an existing reservation and BOOK a new one. Since the existing reservation uses OTU points, it was made at 7 month or less from check-in.

True. I thought it was worth mentioning because although in the past they would sometimes do this, recently they have become very strict.

correcaminos

True. I thought it was worth mentioning because although in the past they would sometimes do this, recently they have become very strict.
Use OTUP outside of 7 months? I thought they were always super strict with that due to the nature of what the points are

nickys

Premium Member
Use OTUP outside of 7 months? I thought they were always super strict with that due to the nature of what the points are

I meant more replacing other points with OTUP to free up points used to book at 7-11 months. Rebalancing in general seems to have got more difficult, whereas before people seemed to get away with more.

Semantics maybe? I think I just confused myself!

correcaminos

I meant more replacing other points with OTUP to free up points used to book at 7-11 months. Rebalancing in general seems to have got more difficult, whereas before people seemed to get away with more.

Semantics maybe? I think I just confused myself!
Ah I follow now! I hadn't paid attention to that happening or not before lol. I wouldn't have thought to try that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom