One Sentence Competition: Summer Fun

spacemt354

Chili's
Thunder Gun Express
abf78aa6dc5edf24-1200x675.png

Coming to Wildwater Kingdom at Dorney Park in Pennsylvania is the Thunder Gun Express dueling slide. Inspired by the action-hero character Thunder Gun from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, standing an astounding 160 feet in the air, two guests at a time will take the plunge at a 75 degree angle at speeds of 70 miles per hour entering the splashdown below.

kmbmw777

Mandalay Bay Surfers
1656345504125.png

(Img Source: Aquatic Development Group)
Coming to the tropical themed Mandalay Bay Beach in Las Vegas is a premium attraction where guests can simulate what it's like to surf on the strong waves of the ocean. This low-capacity, extra-ticket-required attraction fits neatly with the atmosphere and experience-based culture of Las Vegas tourism, while being a perfect fit for the theming of the Mandalay Bay Resort complex.

spacemt354

Chili's
Mandalay Bay Surfers
View attachment 648874

(Img Source: Aquatic Development Group)
Coming to the tropical themed Mandalay Bay Beach in Las Vegas is a premium attraction where guests can simulate what it's like to surf on the strong waves of the ocean. This low-capacity, extra-ticket-required attraction fits perfectly with the atmosphere and experience-based culture of Las Vegas tourism, while being a perfect fit for the theming of the Mandalay Bay Resort complex.
Welcome back!

Evilgidgit

Pokemon Snap Lazy River Raft Ride

View attachment 648828

Outfitted with a provided (proprietary) special camera, Guests take a journey along a lazy river with enviroments populated by Pokemon. Guests are tasked with taking pictures of the Pokemon, with artificial intelligence scoring the quality of their photos.
Why didn't I think of this one!? The contest is over. Hoopa gets all the golden medals!

InspectorSpacetime

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 5.23.37 PM.png

Back in 1996, after plans for a Blizzard Beach waterpark were scrapped, Disney decided to turn it’s charming — but fading — River Country into a worthy competitor for Typhoon Lagoon with a slew of new homespun thrills and backwoods adventures to save this watering hole from shuttering.

The buildout's biggest draw remains Davy Crockett and the River Pirates — the first true water park E-Ticket — where rafts of guests join the all-American hero in fighting off the Jolly Barnacle’s band of pirates, thundering through the pitch black Rattlesnake Caves, and chasing down no-good river thieves to make these wild Southern rivers safe once again.

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 5.14.49 PM.png

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Rocky and Bullwinkle in The Curse of Poopskull Mountain
Rocky and Bullwinkle – THE BARKING FOX

This dueling waterslides between Rocky and Bullwinkle and Boris and Natasha, which who will get Captain Poophead's treasure
in Poopskull Mountain as you'll be part of the episode of the Rocky and Bullwinkle show at Universal's Volcano Bay for new water kiddie area called Captain Bullwinkle's Treasures N' Money Island.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Moana Geysers at Typhoon Lagoon features one of the largest splashpads in the world in a game of geysers dunking on the other tribe through the use of teams staffing color-coded water canons.

Players staff their canons, but -- prevented from firing directly on the members of the other colored tribe -- they must hit targets and push balls into holes and goals to unleash giant plumes of water from above and air canons from below that drench the other tribes.

1656464120860.png

tcool123

Original Poster
Contestants! You have 50ish minutes to submit and/or edit your submission for this prompt. Please remember to have all submissions and edits done by Tuesday, June 28th, 10 PM EST (Walt Disney World time). If your project is tardy it will not be taken into consideration for point scoring.​

tcool123

Original Poster
OSC Reviews.png

Welcome all to the second set of reviews for our Summer Fun! I just want to start off by saying that you all made a splash this challenge, and you should all be proud of yourselves for your ideas!

Goofy's Aquamania by @mharrington
In general it is a surprise that the waterparks have remained as IP free as they have been. This concept however does change that by bringing in the lovable Goofy in a zany water coaster featuring his iconic failed attempts playing sports. Overall I'm a fan of the concept, and the theming and ties to Goofy should aid in distinguishing this from Crush 'n' Gusher

The Surf Coaster by @Disney Warrior
What sets this apart from Typhoon Lagoon's other water coaster is that it is a different ride system allowing for it to be a different experience for guests. Much like with the last project the focus on water sports is a good direction for the theme of a slide as for the most part it's not touched on as much as one would think at the Disney parks.

Superstorm Wipeout by @DisneyFan32
This is more of a classic approach to some good old water slide fun that fits well into the Hurricane Harbor theme and name of the park. The details of it being the longest, fastest, and tallest is also a cool way to set it apart from its competition.

Olaf's Frozen Summer Fun by @MickeyMouse10
Ever since the release of Frozen many have seemed to think it was going to takeover Blizzard Beach, and for the most part it really hasn't even though Olaf's quirky love for summer is a perfect fit with the park's theme. A new family raft ride that's also a dark ride that combines the magic of Disney and of course Olaf is a surefire way to bring attention to Blizzard Beach, and give it another major draw to aid in spreading crowds out between the two water parks.

Oasis of Kings -- Ra's Midnight Voyage by @Evilgidgit
The expansion of Splashin Safari's African theme into Egyptian mythology aids in setting this addition apart from the rest of the current offerings. It also plays into the public's growing awareness of Egyptian mythology over the last few years. Overall it sounds like an exciting, and well themed adventure for the waterpark; good job on this project!

Surfer Safari by @Brer Panther
Another take on the dark ride water slide concept, but this time for Typhoon Lagoon. Seeing the usage of the parks original, and often forgotten, characters is always a nice thing to see as it continues to build the character in a meaningful way. The Marc Davis inspired comedy aids to ensure that the scenes will be entertaining, and likely be a hit amongst families.

Bessie's Revenge by @James G.
The usage of space in making this slide fit within the footprint of another offering is clever, and allows for an efficient usage of the parks acreage so smart call there! The slide itself sounds action packed with the mythological framing making it very unique, and the period setting aids in making this feel like a timeless attraction perfect for the Cedar Point resort.

Blizzard Bobsleds by @MagicKingdom4Ever
The expansion of the park's lore through subtle details was a nice touch, and added to the overall proposal. The theming of the coaster to bobsleds makes logical sense, and provides a rational reason as to why there would be a new hyrdocoaster at the park so kudos on that. The Olympic touches and references to Matterhorn are also nice Easter eggs.

Schweitzer Falls by @cdunlap
Expanding on the popular lore of the Jungle Cruise is a neat route to take for a waterslide, and this makes for a nice pairing with Miss Adventure Falls. Disney fans would surely fall in love with this ride, and of course this would act as a further expansion of Jungle Cruise/SEA lore.

El Rio De Xibala by @D Hulk
Going into this competition I did not expect to see Parque Xcaret represented, but it makes given its the third most visited theme park in all of Latin America. Also can we just talk about how beautiful the park is? AND the countless amount of unique offerings the park contains? Xcaret is always one my favorites to read about in my classes, and glad to see it getting some love here too! This is a unique take on the prompt as many would think waterslide or adjacent, but the prompt only called for a water based attraction so kayaking was a cool way to tackle this. Overall this sounds like a fun experience that perfectly meshes with the existing park, and continues to build on what makes this park so unique and beautiful.

Waterworld: The Slide by @TwilightZone
Waterworld has proved time and time again that a forgetable movie can make for an outstanding attraction, and this water slide seems destined to continue that trend. Surprisingly enough Universal Studios Florida is the only resort that does not have any Waterworld reference, but it would finally receive it with this slide. The concept sounds really neat and exciting which is perfect for Universal!

Rub-A-Dub Tub by @Tony the Tigger
This water slide is automatically so cute! The theming around this slide is simple yet highly effective, and give a very fun and engaging twist on an otherwise more traditional slide. The tubes being rubber duckies as well just adds an additional layer of adorableness, and just pure fun. Good job!

Waterbogganing Express by @OvertheHorizon
Once again continuing the trend of unconventional water attractions, we have this attraction that brings more life and smaller watercraft back into the Seven Seas Lagoon. Tying this into the 50th Anniversary, and is a simple addition that would have been greatly appreciated for the resorts harkening back to the times where one could jetski around the lagoon. It even gives glimpse a rare allowed view of Discovery Island!

Skull Island Riverway by @dash Habber
A thrilling and scarily themed launched tube slide is a logical inclusion for a Universal park, and working in the classic Kong IP was a nice touch as it lends for some iconic scenery and creature designs. Perhaps it will even connect to Reign of Kong at Islands further building on the universe of the ride/film.

Blauerhimmel's Linn by @Suchomimus
I - well I did not expect @D Hulk 's legendary Disney Sky project to be referenced this competition! With that said if it adds some distinct new environments to Blizzard Beach I'm all for it! The steampunk Victorian theming will be a noticeable and distinct shift in tone for the park, but this will allow for new storytelling opportunities that seem to have paid out! The backstory around the ride is a nice one, and would add to the attraction's ridethrough in a beneficial way. The unique scenery and setting aid in making this attraction stand out not just from the park, but from the Orlando water park scene.

Thunder Gun Express by @spacemt354
I can see nothing that can go wrong with this waterslide, just as long guests bring their own water bottle to wet the slide first of course. That said an It's Always Sunny waterslide may not have been my first thought, but clearly there's an iconic scene that fans would love to just recreate! So let's make some TV magic 🎉

Pokémon Snap Lazy River Raft Ride by @Hoopa
This is an interesting concept for a lazy river as it gives a water park attraction surprising rerideability that one wouldn't assume from the task of taking the bets Pokémon photos, but in addition the usage of Pokémon adds in giving unique and vibrant scenery for the attraction.

Mandalay Bay Surfers by @kmbmw777
First off, welcome back! These surfing simulator attractions are quite popular at water parks, and I've seen a few in my travels. This surfing experience fits perfectly within the Vegas portfolio of attractions given its more extreme and whimsical nature. In addition it gives the Mandalay Bay Beach an additional kinetic energy based attraction that also acts as entertainment for guests!

Shark Reef Current by @Chaos Cat
It was a surprise to many I feel when Disney eliminated the Shark Reef given it was one of the most memorable things about the park, and set it apart from the very competitive Orlando market. To see the return of the reef via a new waterslide is a great way to ensure a better capacity for guests interested in this offering, and having tours as an extra charge is smart as it still allows for a unique experience to be personalized and controlled.

Davy Crockett and the River Pirates by @InspectorSpacetime
I - did not expect Disney Sky nor did I expect an alternate timeline from the competition. With that said I'm fully onboard for this as a framing mechanism as this competition is all about summer fun :) A new influx of attractions, and upgrade to River Country would have been perfect to keep this park competitive. The attraction seems like a must do, and would continue to be a stand out in the modern day had it been built to save River Country.

Moana Geysers by @MisterPenguin
I love how creative you were with the waterpark attraction, again another unexpected yet welcome direction. This is a creative way to work in cooperative team play into an attraction that sounds like its accessible to all yet could be challenging to many as well making this an engaging attraction for all ages. In addition the kinetic energy of the geysers would make for this to be a lively area within Typhoon Lagoon. Overall a very creative concept!

Rocky and Bullwinkle in The Curse of Poopskull Mountain by @DisneyFan32
Given this is an additional submission it will not receive any points, but I do want to thank you work cooperating and waiting to post any additional ideas until the final hours of the challenge. Conceptually this sounds like a very fun attraction, and would be a hit with families.​

Last edited:

tcool123

Original Poster

OSC Results.png

I want to say that I hate all of you for making this so difficult! How am I supposed to do these rankings when every project is well executed, thought out, and creative? All joking aside y'all did exceptional this round, and I loved the variety of parks and attraction types that were chosen for your projects. I loved how everyone approached the project in their own unique way, and I got to say I truly enjoyed it all! With all that said I must unfortunately give out rankings.

OSC 4 - Honorable.png

For our honorable mention we have Bessie's Revenge by @James G. ! The theming surrounding this attraction compliments the storied history that the Cedar Point resort carries, and plays right into the beliefs that the locals it attracts love to see represented. In addition it adds a big ticket attraction that one would expect to see at any Cedar Fair park regardless of what kind of park it is. This attraction ensures that this water park is not looked over, and is deserving of its spot in the Cedar Fair family of thrills and theme.

OSC 3 - Third.png

In third place we have the Rub-a-Dub Tub by @Tony the Tigger ! The very unique theming for this attraction aids to help this waterslide to stick out from other offerings at its home park, but at the same time the theming is smart enough where it wouldn't be overly expensive for a local park to maintain. In addition the unique slide vehicle helps to make this stand out as guests with children would likely be drawn by the friendly design, and guests without would enjoy the fun a waterslide!

OSC 2 - Second.png

In second place we have the Moana Geysers by @MisterPenguin ! This project brings a unique experience into Typhoon Lagoon that is highly accessible and engaging for all as no matter the age people love to be competitive and win. The tie into Moana is a minor one, but only adds to the concept as isn't overt nor in your face that this is Moana. It blends into the park without issue, and is a unique and engaging experience with endless amounts of repeatability given the competition element.

OSC 1 - First.png

Smashing into first place is @D Hulk with El Rio De Xibala! @D Hulk took a bold risk by going in a direction that not many would have expected for this to prompt to be taken. However Hulk was very clever as this attraction fits perfectly within Xcaret, and compliments the park's offerings to a tee. It adds another memorable experience for guests, and an exciting way to get up close and personal with Mayan architecture and the local critters of the area.

tcool123

Original Poster
Points.png

As I mentioned the points would begin to distribute into various placings and instead of a 22 way tie for first place we now only have a 16 way tie for second! Pretty successful distribution if I do say so myself, and as time continues this breakdown will likely continue.

23 (Tied). @mharrington - 1
23 (Tied). @James G. - 1
23 (Tied). @kmbmw777 - 1
23 (Tied). @InspectorSpacetime - 1
23 (Tied). @FulcrumSolo - 1
17 (Tied). @Disney Dad 3000- 2
17 (Tied). @NateD1226 - 2
17 (Tied). @Solaris Knight - 2
17 (Tied). @Honey Bee (Rebooted) - 2
17 (Tied). @Shannoninthemagic - 2
2 (Tied). @MagicKingdom4Ever - 3
2 (Tied). @Evilgidgit - 3
2 (Tied). @OvertheHorizon - 3
2 (Tied). @DashHaber - 3
2 (Tied). @Disney Warrior - 3
2 (Tied). @spacemt354 - 3
2 (Tied). @Tony the Tigger - 3
2 (Tied). @TwilightZone - 3
2 (Tied). @MickeyMouse10 - 3
2 (Tied). @Suchomimus - 3
2 (Tied). @DisneyFan32 - 3
2 (Tied). @MisterPenguin - 3
2 (Tied). @Chaos Cat - 3
2 (Tied). @Brer Panther - 3
2 (Tied). @cdunlap - 3
2 (Tied). @Hoopa- 3
1. @D Hulk- 4

I have a very very funny feeling next round these points totals may continue to rapidly change ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom