One more reason to return to the original EPCOT Center typeface

gustaftp

Original Poster
Netflix has a movie online right now called "Helvetica"... it's all about typefaces, and it's actually very interesting.

It mentions how anything that needs to be communicated effectively is in Helvetica. It is a clean, modern design. It unifies elements of society together quite nicely. This is why public transit systems, street signs, many story logos, and more use Helvetica.

It was part of an intentional movement. It was considered a real step away from previous typography that could clearly communicate -- a font that doesn't have a meaning in itself, because the meaning is in the actual words. IE: Just because you see the word dog doesn't mean that it has to bark like a dog.

I believe this is what the Imagineers were doing with the original EPCOT Center font. It went far beyond the reasons we normally mention on this discussion board. They wanted to communicate an intentional movement to be a possible part of the future. This would tie into the messages behind Spaceship Earth.

However, they had to give it a slight amount of flair because they were intentionally trying to communicate the future, and still transport us to another land, but one that we could find familiar and relate with as demonstrated by the modernist "Helvetica movement".

The 90s decisions to remove that from EPCOT are pretty sad. Especially as EPCOT also gets many foreign visitors. Having just arrived from a long trip in Europe, the things which always comforted me and clearly communicated to me despite being in a different languages was anything in a clear Helvetica font. It made train schedules, trackages, and languages I couldn't read make some more sense. I never really thought about it.

It also then shows an interrelationship and transition between Future World and World Showcase. Either direction you move, you see how we've transitioned and moved along to better communicate with each other.

Just some interesting insights I had. I found the movie fascinating (a lot of people might not enjoy such a documentary though). :)

My appreciation for the design of EPCOT grew after schlepping through Europe for the past month on a train pass. :cool:

scbb11Sketch

Well said. I'm with you. I love the original EPCOT font. It gave the pavillions and park in general their own identity and language. Maybe one day they'll realize that some of the original simplicities were what really made EPCOT such a treasure.

rct247

Thank you. I agree with you and now I found a new movie to watch. I'm a graphic designer so, naturally, I am interested.

powlessfamily4

wait.....so there's a whole movie about fonts?

That is exactly what i was thinking. I was like OMG are you serious??? A Font movie. Did the fonts rebel and slowly kill off mankind by making their eyes bleed over reading fonts that said more than the words? :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

rct247

I watched that documentary yesterday and it was interesting to me, however, most people will find it boring. It was cool to see just how often that font is used. It is used EVERYWHERE!

mrtoad

While I too find it odd that there is a movie dedicated to this subject (I am assuming it is not a full length movie, what is the length?) I do find it interesting. As a side business and for fun I design and make decals (for cars as well as walls) and t-shirts and I have to say finding the right font is crucial to a design. Sometimes I search for very long periods for the correct font to use for a particular design, sometimes never finding the one I really need.

I love the old fonts used in the EPCOT CENTER signage and logos. I also love and miss the old WDW logo. I understand the new one is using Walt's script but still love the original logo so much more.

5079220718_d6f6ffe360.jpg

It is very eye catching to say the least....

CP_alum08

It's amazing how much of an impact fonts have without people having any idea. I planned on being a graphic designer (ended up changing my mind, but that's not the point) so I took several classes on typography and history of fonts. Pretty cool stuff if you're into that sort of thing.

ml123_9

While I too find it odd that there is a movie dedicated to this subject (I am assuming it is not a full length movie, what is the length?) I do find it interesting. As a side business and for fun I design and make decals (for cars as well as walls) and t-shirts and I have to say finding the right font is crucial to a design. Sometimes I search for very long periods for the correct font to use for a particular design, sometimes never finding the one I really need.

I love the old fonts used in the EPCOT CENTER signage and logos. I also love and miss the old WDW logo. I understand the new one is using Walt's script but still love the original logo so much more.

5079220718_d6f6ffe360.jpg

It is very eye catching to say the least....

I loved this too which is why I got the shirt in May.

lazyboy97o

While I too find it odd that there is a movie dedicated to this subject (I am assuming it is not a full length movie, what is the length?) I do find it interesting.
I am not sure why people are so surprised to learn about Helvetica, and yes, it is a feature length documentary at 80 minutes. Fonts are designed, chosen as part of designs and have a history of use. There is also Objectified, by the same person, on the design of mass-produced consumer products. I recently read a book on the design of things like the fork and the paper clip.

Phonedave

I am not sure why people are so surprised to learn about Helvetica, and yes, it is a feature length documentary at 80 minutes. Fonts are designed, chosen as part of designs and have a history of use. There is also Objectified, by the same person, on the design of mass-produced consumer products. I recently read a book on the design of things like the fork and the paper clip.

May I also suggest "The Pencil: A History of Design and Circumstance" and "To Engineer Is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design" by Henry Petrosky

(I liked "The Pencil" better)

-dave

lazyboy97o

May I also suggest "The Pencil: A History of Design and Circumstance" and "To Engineer Is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design" by Henry Petrosky

(I liked "The Pencil" better)

-dave
They're already on my [far too long] list. The book I mentioned is Petroski's The Evolution of Useful Things: How Everyday Artifacts-From Forks and Pins to Paper Clips and Zippers-Came to be as They Are.

Future Guy

I was at EPCOT yesterday, and I was thinking how the One True Font is still widely used there. It's used for just about all the park-wide signage (in Future World, anyway) Sadly, individual attractions have gotten away from using it, and that's sad, but overall it's still pretty widely used.

gustaftp

Original Poster
Trust me, I know about the film. It showed up on Netflix so I clicked it. I watched about 20 minutes, and after the 2nd interview with a different guy was nearly identical as the first, I was done.

The point of the film was easy to surmise, and probably didn't need to be 80 minutes.

But I found what they had to say to be interesting, and it showed how subtle the Imagineers are in some ways.

Phonedave

They're already on my [far too long] list. The book I mentioned is Petroski's The Evolution of Useful Things: How Everyday Artifacts-From Forks and Pins to Paper Clips and Zippers-Came to be as They Are.

This was pretty interesting as well. I know, I read some real thrilling books. Edge of the seat kind of stuff :)

The Challenger Launch Decision: Risky Technology, Culture, and Deviance at NASA by Diane Vaughan

The loss of the Space Shuttle Challenger in 1986 is usually ascribed to NASA's decision to accept a safety risk to meet a launch schedule. Vaughan, a professor of sociology at Boston College, argues instead that the disaster's roots are to be found in the nature of institutional life. Organizations develop cultural beliefs that shape action and outcome, she notes. NASA's institutional history and group dynamics reflected a perception of competition for scarce resources, which fostered a structure that accepted risk-taking and corner-cutting as norms that shaped decision-making. Small, seemingly harmless modifications to technical and procedural standards collectively propelled the space agency toward disaster even though no specific rules were broken. While Vaughan's complex presentation will daunt general readers, her conclusion that the "normalization of deviance" builds error into all human systems is as compelling as it is pessimistic

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom