Trip Report *COMPLETED* Once Upon a Christmas Time...A Very Merry Trip Report

Hello Everyone!

We just returned from yet another WDW visit this past weekend and with the holiday season quickly approaching I wanted to make sure I at least started our report before Christmas knowing that I would easily let this slip into January if I didn't.

Just to refresh your memory, this was the first trip we planned as DVC members having joined the club in March. Something we should have done years ago but better late than never, I guess! For those of you who may want to do some pre-reading, here is a link to the pre-trip report that started early this year and now seems so crazy to think the trip has already come and gone.

With that short preamble...let's start the show!

The Main Characters
My wife, Kelly, and I, along with our two Disney Princesses, Ella (7), and Lennon (5).

MK_MSCONFEC_20160808_7766697622_zpslcr5ylvk.jpeg

Here we are on our summer 2016 visit.

The Script
Once our DVC membership was completely finalized in March and we had access to the booking system we started thinking about our next visit. Kelly and I had spent Christmas in WDW way back in 2009 and we loved how the parks looked and felt decorated for the holidays. We figured this would be a great opportunity for us to head back around Christmas time and give the girls their first taste of a Disney Christmas.

Originally we booked accommodation for December 7-16 at our home resort, Saratoga Springs, and waited for the 7-month window to open to have access to other DVC options. Once the window hit we made our move. Our intention was to try and get the Grand Floridian knowing it would be next to impossible with a backup plan of either the Beach Club or Wilderness Lodge. Both BC and WL were available and we eventually decided on the BC because of the great Boardwalk location.

After we secured a one-bedroom villa at BC we decided to add another day to the trip because...well, why not! The 6th was not available at the time at BC so we ended up booking the additional night at AKL. I would periodically check back to see if the BC was open and one day, to my surprise, a one-bedroom lake view at the GF popped up. I quickly called the member line and made the switch from AKL to the Grand thinking this was likely the only chance we'd ever get to stay there so might as well take advantage.

Now we were all set and all that was left to do was wait out the remaining months and for once look forward to winter!

We planned and planned and planned as the days ticked by. Kelly and I escaped kid free to Denver in November to watch the GOAT, Tom Brady, crush the Broncos...something I have always wanted to do and finally was able to check it off the bucket list.

Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr
Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on FlickrUntitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on FlickrUntitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on FlickrUntitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on FlickrUntitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr

Once we returned it was all Disney, all the time as we were now less than a month away!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
After months of waiting, early alarms to select our FP+ selections, continuously checking the weather forecasts to see what we should pack and numerous ADR bookings, modifications and cancelations, the trip that seemed so long in the making was finally here. Being a hearty Canadian all I packed were shorts along with a wide array of t-shirts, sweaters and hoodies just to be safe but there was no way I'd be wearing pants in Florida! Kelly made sure that she and the girls were well stocked with both warm and light clothing but I think she got mad at me for convincing her to lose some of the jeans she had planned to bring the night before we left. Oh well!

Now, the haul from our home city of Edmonton, Alberta all the way down to Orlando is not the easiest trip which meant a very early morning and a long day in airports and planes. My alarm was buzzing at 4 am on the December 6th and we were up and at it to make sure we were on the road by 5 am to get to the airport.

Our travel plans to Orlando included an 8 am flight to Minneapolis, a relatively short 90-minute layover then onto another flight to make it to Orlando. Kelly and I hustled as best we could to keep on track in the morning to let the girls sleep as long as they could before we had to get them up. Once we were all packed up and ready we woke up the kids, hit the road and made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare. Going through security and customs is always a challenge for us thank in part to Ella having type 1 diabetes and the additional supplies, food and precautions we take when traveling can result in some extra scrutiny when going through the process. Thankfully it was relatively straightforward even with some of the new regulations in place.

Once through security and customs, we sat down for a quick bite to eat before loading up on our first plane ride of the day.
Disney World - 2017 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr

We landed in Minneapolis after a pretty smooth 2 hour 35 minute flight with enough time to make the brisk 20-minute walk to our next gate only to find the flight was delayed. Thankfully only by about 20 minutes so no big deal. We grabbed a quick snack, downloaded some new shows to watch on Netflix and boarded the next flight. We were all beyond excited that we were nearly there and would get to experience the Grand!

Another smooth flight had us touch down only a little behind schedule, landing around 530 pm in Orlando. We stuffed ourselves on the packed monorail to get to the main terminal to catch our Magical Express to the Grand. Once we arrived and checked in we were loaded onto the bus immediately but even so ended up waiting about 25 minutes before departing. There were 10 people on the bus and you could tell everyone just wanted to get to their resort.
Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on FlickrUntitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr

We had time to FaceTime our parents to let them know we arrived and that we'd let them know how our one-bedroom at the Grand turned out.

Shortly after our conversation, the bus driver pulled away from the airport and off we went! Such a nice convenience not to have to find transportation or grab your luggage after a day in the air. Just kick back and relax until you arrive. First stop was to let a family of four off at Bay Lake. The massive Christmas tree in front of the Contemporary was stunning but nothing could compare to the sight of Space Mountain and the castle all lit up for the holidays.

A short time later we arrived at the Grand excited to start our adventure and to enjoy the luxury of the resort, even if only for the evening. We walked into the lobby and were blown away by the sights and smells of the giant tree and amazing gingerbread house.
Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on FlickrUntitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on FlickrUntitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on FlickrDisney World - 2017 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr

That excitement quickly dissipated when we went to check in only to find that our one-bedroom was no longer available...

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Can't wait to hear all about your trip!!

I live in Pittsburgh---this is not a happy town right now:(.

Thanks for reading along. I could imagine the mood not being very good around town at the moment. Still can't believe how that one ended. Certainly sets the stage for an unreal AFC Championship should they meet again.

blreinsel

As as DVC member, welcome home!

As a Steeler fan, suck it!

All seriousness, I'm looking forward to a great Matty TR.

Well, I WAS going to read your report, but then you had to go and talk about the-team-I-shall-not-name, also being a Steelers fan.

:hilarious:

Kidding, I will of course enjoy reading!

How did I not know that there were other Steeler fans here?? :eek: I'm not even really a sports person, but being raised in a Steeler family and being engaged to a Steeler fan, I know my place. :rolleyes:

I suppose I'll still read your report, regardless of this new information. :p So excited to read about your adventures! Though you have me a little nervous with your room not being available!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
How did I not know that there were other Steeler fans here?? :eek: I'm not even really a sports person, but being raised in a Steeler family and being engaged to a Steeler fan, I know my place. :rolleyes:

I suppose I'll still read your report, regardless of this new information. :p So excited to read about your adventures! Though you have me a little nervous with your room not being available!

I’m blown away by the Steeler support.

Trying to build suspense leading up to the next post!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
As a fellow Steeler fan and president of the “I can’t stand Tom Brady” fan club, I can’t like this post enough!

Looking forward to your report despite your terrible taste in teams @Matty30 :)

I'll keep my love for Tommy to a minimum the rest of the way! Though football will resurface later in the report, this time with a focus on the Canadian Football League. Not sure there are too many CFL fans, other than myself, on this site!

Haha... Go Pats!! Steelers bahahahaha!!

GO PATS GO!

Looking forward to reading your report! Guess our paths never crossed. :(

Thanks for reading! It is too bad we didn't get the chance to meet. We did have the good fortune of running into a few other forum members though which was pretty cool.

I'm in. I don't watch sports ball, though.

Thanks for reading!

amjt660

Premium Member
I am happy to see this report
Looking forward to hearing all about it.

I am an Eagles fan since 1980 and have suffered directly at the hands of the Patriots in a Super Bowl
(a point my DD reminds me often as she is a Pats fan)

Following along

Max

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Continuing on.

As I mentioned, we were at the front desk, checking in with a terrific CM named Stephen, who informed us that he had bad news about our reservation. Apparently, all the one-bedroom villas were occupied. Upon hearing this the smile on my face quickly disappeared but as Stephen continued, "I made the decision around 2 pm this afternoon to move you guys to a two-bedroom suite here at the hotel, not in the villas. I hope that's ok with you?"

I looked at Kelly and laughed. On the bus ride to the resort, Kelly mentioned something about how cool it would be to find out we were upgraded when we checked in. I said we are already in a lake view one-bedroom, what more could you want?! Well it turns out that she was prophetic and Stephen informed us that we would be spending our short time at the Grand in the Cape Coral Suite with full concierge access while we were there. He mentioned it was a $1,700/night upgrade on top of what a one-bedroom would cost so that right there gave me an indication we were in for something special.

We didn't quite know what this meant but he assured us that as soon as we walked in the room we would be more than pleased. I was happy to take his word for it as we finished the check-in process and he gave us a few suggestions on how to spend the evening. I had planned on making the trip over to the Poly to grab some pulled pork nachos for our first meal but he thought our time would be better spent by grabbing something from Gaspirilla's and watching the fireworks from our private patio!

As we left the front desk we were pretty anxious to see just where we would end up for the night. We walked through the lobby into the courtyard and made our way towards the room.

We figured any room that had its own sign had to be pretty great...
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22CdX8f]Disney World - 2017 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Stephen was right. The room was unreal. I did take video of us entering the room for the first time which I'll soon upload to YouTube and share the link. I have no doubt the one-bedroom villa would have been fantastic but this place was something else.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21A6eBL]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL][url=https://flic.kr/p/22BYYuG]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL][url=https://flic.kr/p/22CdUB3]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

Huge living space greeted us as we entered. Found out as we explored that there were four separate entrances from the hallway and four sliding door access to the patio area.

The girls' room was amazing...
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22EBUiP]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL][url=https://flic.kr/p/21AkAsq]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL][url=https://flic.kr/p/22EKTva]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

and so was the master...[url=https://flic.kr/p/HHU2Ha]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL][url=https://flic.kr/p/22EBhxR]Untitled by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

But the view, and the private patio with the unobstructed Magic Kingdom view from across the lake was the best feature...
[url=https://flic.kr/p/HHZDwz]Disney World - 2017 by Matt Mandrusiak, on Flickr[/URL]

I guess if we didn't have access to the villa that this would make for sufficient accommodation for our brief stay. We were so pumped up to start the trip like this. We did another quick FaceTime tour for our parents before finally leaving the room to look for something to eat before returning to watch the fireworks.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
I am happy to see this report
Looking forward to hearing all about it.

I am an Eagles fan since 1980 and have suffered directly at the hands of the Patriots in a Super Bowl
(a point my DD reminds me often as she is a Pats fan)

Following along

Max

Thanks for following, Max.

With any luck you might have the opportunity to suffer yet another SB loss at the hands of the Pats come February. Who knows?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom