On site stay take the bus or drive car to parks

John park hopper

Original Poster
Will be staying at POFQ May 2019 is it better to drive your own car to the parks for early hours for on site guests or take the bus. If you drive how is the parking set up? Earlier you get there do you get to park closer to the park entrance? How early do the buses run and are they cowded at early hour. Rode the buses our last trip in 2017 from CBR they weren't badly crowded just looking to save some time, didn't do much planning in 2017 as our previous trip was in 1998 and things have changed a lot looking to do better in the planning dept this time

CaptainAmerica

Take Disney transportation to the Magic Kingdom. Drive everywhere else.

If you're park hopping on a given day without returning to your resort in between parks, take Disney transportation regardless of which parks you're going to.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
We have found that if you want to save the most time for morning EMH, then take an Uber. They usually arrive within a few minutes or a few times we have had them waiting on us by the time we get to the lobby.

For HS and AK they can drop you off right at park entrance. For Epcot we get dropped off at BW or BC and take the very short walk (3-5 minutes) to the International Gateway entrance is which is much less crowded than front entrance. And for MK we get dropped off at the corner of where the buses enter and there is a pathway with a short walk and even a security checkpoint for bags which is hardly ever a wait so by the time you get to the entrance you can skip the long bag check there!

Cost of an Uber is usually $6-8 depending on your resort to destination. I took an Uber from Bay Lake Tower to AK and it was $8. Definitely worth the money IMO to save time

CaptainAmerica

Cost of an Uber is usually $6-8 depending on your resort to destination. I took an Uber from Bay Lake Tower to AK and it was $8. Definitely worth the money IMO to save time
That adds up quick if you park hop. After tip you're looking at $250+ over a week to save a total of one hour, maybe. Not to mention you're paying extra if you need a large vehicle, extra on top of that if you need a car seat, and you're pretty much SOL if you need two car seats.

Honestly, the early morning buses are usually the ones with no problems whatsoever. They're not crowded and they arrive fairly frequently.

John park hopper

Original Poster
As I posted we (just the wife and me) will have our own car on site. The plan is to take advantage of early morning hours (car or bus)go back to the resort about noon go back to the park late afternoon (probably take the bus) take advantage extra hours

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
That adds up quick if you park hop. After tip you're looking at $250+ over a week to save a total of one hour, maybe. Not to mention you're paying extra if you need a large vehicle, extra on top of that if you need a car seat, and you're pretty much SOL if you need two car seats.

Honestly, the early morning buses are usually the ones with no problems whatsoever. They're not crowded and they arrive fairly frequently.
I do not see where you got $250+ for a week? That would be appx 32 uber trips. You would only need to use Uber for park opening which is what the OP was asking about. You can use the bus if you decide to park hop later in the day or return your resort (POFQ for the OP).

As far as car seats go, yes that could be an issue with Uber. The Minnie Vans have car seats so if if you were going for morning EMH 2 or 3 days out of the week sty, it would only be $20 per trip which would be a total of $40-$60 max (still way under $250)

CaptainAmerica

I do not see where you got $250+ for a week? That would be appx 32 uber trips. You would only need to use Uber for park opening which is what the OP was asking about. You can use the bus if you decide to park hop later in the day or return your resort (POFQ for the OP).
Gotcha, I thought you were advising using Uber as the primary / sole source of transportation.

As far as car seats go, yes that could be an issue with Uber. The Minnie Vans have car seats so if if you were going for morning EMH 2 or 3 days out of the week sty, it would only be $20 per trip which would be a total of $40-$60 max (still way under $250)
Minor point, but Minnie Vans are up to $25 now. I plan on using it for the first time in two weeks to get to Boma from Art of Animation.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
As I posted we (just the wife and me) will have our own car on site. The plan is to take advantage of early morning hours (car or bus)go back to the resort about noon go back to the park late afternoon (probably take the bus) take advantage extra hours
Just a suggestion, but consider the time it takes to park and then get to park entrance (mostly for MK) via TTC or Ferry boat which can range 20-30 minutes easily on a busy morning and then yo still have to go through bag check, vs Uber and just get dropped off at corner and use the much less crowded bag check on the pathway. And you still have to get back to the car via monorail or ferry when you leave MK vs just catching a bus. Nothing major, just offering another suggestion.

My wife and I prefer Uber for the other parks (for morning EMH) in the event we have a few drinks if we stay long enough for lunch, that way we are not driving after a few drinks.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Minor point, but Minnie Vans are up to $25 now. I plan on using it for the first time in two weeks to get to Boma from Art of Animation.
Blatant cash grab by Disney!! ARGHHH!!! jk,

I do recall seeing the price hike now that you mention it. Still worth it, IMO if you have kids that require car seats and need to save time. And it definitely saves time in your case since your hopping from resort to resort. We have used Uber for early breakfasts at other resorts and it saves a lot of time. The faster I can get to those goat cheese eggs at Boma, the better!! lol

CaptainAmerica

Blatant cash grab by Disney!! ARGHHH!!! jk,

I do recall seeing the price hike now that you mention it. Still worth it, IMO if you have kids that require car seats and need to save time. And it definitely saves time in your case since your hopping from resort to resort. We have used Uber for early breakfasts at other resorts and it saves a lot of time.
Yeah we usually rent a car for resort-to-resort transportation but we're a large group this trip (6 adults and two kids spread over two AoA suites) and we didn't feel like renting two cars and going through the hassle of getting two car seats through the airport.

The faster I can get to those goat cheese eggs at Boma, the better!! lol
giphy.gif

BASS

Two points:

1. Disney charges for parking if you are not an annual passholder. That can add up quickly. And the benefits (as some have mentioned) are marginal. IMO, just get up early and be at bus stop early.
2. You can't park at Magic Kingdom. You have to go to the transportation center and then from there, transfer to Magic Kingdom. I hate waiting for transportation, but your wait time will likely be the same either way.

John park hopper

Original Poster
Two points:

1. Disney charges for parking if you are not an annual passholder. That can add up quickly. And the benefits (as some have mentioned) are marginal. IMO, just get up early and be at bus stop early.
2. You can't park at Magic Kingdom. You have to go to the transportation center and then from there, transfer to Magic Kingdom. I hate waiting for transportation, but your wait time will likely be the same either way.

Thanks, as on site guests there is no parking fee at the parks but I had forgotten to get to MK from the parking lot you have to go to the transportation center (more wait time) so it looks like we will take the bus from POFQ to MK and as Capt America suggested take our own car to the other parks for eraly hours for on site guests. So. the earlier you get to the parks do you get to park closer to the entrance or are there special lots for this group or that group?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Will be staying at POFQ May 2019 is it better to drive your own car to the parks for early hours for on site guests or take the bus. If you drive how is the parking set up? Earlier you get there do you get to park closer to the park entrance? How early do the buses run and are they cowded at early hour. Rode the buses our last trip in 2017 from CBR they weren't badly crowded just looking to save some time, didn't do much planning in 2017 as our previous trip was in 1998 and things have changed a lot looking to do better in the planning dept this time

Part of being on vacation for me is not having to drive anywhere, but that up to each person's personal preference.

BASS

Thanks, as on site guests there is no parking fee at the parks but I had forgotten to get to MK from the parking lot you have to go to the transportation center (more wait time) so it looks like we will take the bus from POFQ to MK and as Capt America suggested take our own car to the other parks for eraly hours for on site guests. So. the earlier you get to the parks do you get to park closer to the entrance or are there special lots for this group or that group?

I was there recently and I could've sworn I saw a sign for closer parking (with a fee of course!). Perhaps someone can confirm?

jloucks

I would take the buses (even tho I pretty much hate them) all the time, except maybe at park close, and then I would take a taxi or uber.

While the buses are horrid, I realized that the majority of my beef with them is centered around the park closing rush. Other than that, they are..... tolerable. Did I just admit that? :p

CaptainAmerica

Yes they fill the lots in order, with exceptions for handicapped tags. If you're actually there in time for EMH, you'll be plenty close to walk and you can skip the parking tram entirely.

I was there recently and I could've sworn I saw a sign for closer parking (with a fee of course!). Perhaps someone can confirm?
Yes, definitely not worth it.

crxbrett

Use the Disney transportation for the most part and Uber on early EMH mornings if need be. I only say that because last year I wanted to hit Animal Kingdom early for EMHs. The park opened at 8am and I wanted to be one of the first in line for rope drop to get on FoP, so aimed for being at AK at 6:30am. Well, the buses weren't running yet so I called an Uber and got dropped off right at the gates at about 6:20AM and was 3rd or 4th in line for rope drop! I was going from the Poly to AK, so the Uber ride was $12 or $13.

I rented a car once and will never do it again. Way more stress dealing with driving on the roads and parking. When I am on vacation, I don't want to worry about things like driving a car or parking lol Disney transportation on a whole is very efficient and well oiled machine.

CaptainAmerica

Use the Disney transportation for the most part and Uber on early EMH mornings if need be. I only say that because last year I wanted to hit Animal Kingdom early for EMHs. The park opened at 8am and I wanted to be one of the first in line for rope drop to get on FoP, so aimed for being at AK at 6:30am. Well, the buses weren't running yet so I called an Uber and got dropped off right at the gates at about 6:20AM and was 3rd or 4th in line for rope drop! I was going from the Poly to AK, so the Uber ride was $12 or $13.
In case anyone is worried about the cost, you can skip Uber and if you're on the first bus you'll still get to whatever ride you're rope dropping before the queue has time to get backed up. If you're targeting being 3rd or 4th in line, like you said, you'll need to Uber or drive yourself.

ThatMouse

We only drive to a park we are closing, and do Disney transportation during the day since it's part of the fun. This May, we had two buses that took 20 mins to get to us, but other times it was there waiting for us. At night you also have more wait time for scooters loading and greater chance of standing the whole trip while you watch kids nap in their seats as you struggle not to fall on them. Parking lots have been very stingy with the close parking spaces as those are now premium parking. You can get parked very far away even in the morning now, but the tram system is usually very quick in the morning since it's just once stop (no one is leaving).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom