On my own - Suggestions for dining.

tehSAC

Original Poster
I will be in Orlando for a week from May 6th - May 10th for a conference. On that Sunday I am spending my time in Epcot, but I have my evenings free the rest of the week to enjoy some Disney Dining. I will be on my own, so I'm looking for places where I don't feel too out of place. Mind you I'm okay with eating by myself.

While in Epcot I do not plan on doing any table service restaurants. My focus will be on snacking around the world as I have a few places/stands I’d like to try throughout the day.

I've already planned a meal at Sanaa for one of those evenings, but have considered ditching that plan and just visiting for an early lunch on the Thursday before my flight leaves late afternoon. That would leave two evenings open for Disney Dining, one at Disney Springs, and somewhere else. So many choices, not enough time. I've considered Boma for one evening, but I'm already planning Sanaa. Not sure I should mix both of them in on such a short time frame. However a buffet isn’t something I am against while on my trip. Also planning either an evening or early afternoon in Disney Springs. I don't get down this way often, and when I visit with family I'm with picky eaters, so I'm looking to explore a bit. I’ve looked at Enzo’s hideaway but the $$$ for what you get turns me off. I do think I’ll go to Jock Lindsay’s for a drink when I’m at Disney Springs.

My decision is still up in the air for sure, but this thread is a great start. So if you don't mind, would you give me some suggestions for restaurants outside of the parks.

Amos1784

There are so many lounges and bar seating at most restaurants its actually what my husband and I prefer to do while we are dining there. We don't like to be tied down to advanced dining so we walk up and get seats at the bar.

My Suggestions:
- Disney Springs: Morimoto or Homecoming both with ample bar seating and you will not lose any ambiance.
- Geyser Point at Wilderness Lodge (new and nice outdoor seating)
- Sanaa
- Crews Cup lounge
- Flying Fish bar
-California Grill (depending on availability) I think you could really enjoy an evening here as a solo diner, go up around fireworks have a cocktail and appetizer or entree in the lounge bar area

If you are looking for a solo buffet:
-Trails End, we love the breakfast and dinner and very reasonable
-BOMA
- Cape May (dinner) only if you like seafood

I have not heard positive reviews of Enzo's Hideaway however have not been there myself.

danyoung56

I highly recommend the California Grill. Even if you don't have a rez, you can go up to the bar and enjoy the entire menu. Just don't go too close to fireworks time. Go up maybe 90 minutes before fireworks, enjoy a fine meal and a few drinks, and then take a drink outside on the 15th floor balcony and enjoy the MK fireworks - they pipe the sound track in to the balcony, so you can hear everything. A totally cool evening, without having to reserve anything!

JohnD

I will be in Orlando for a week from May 6th - May 10th for a conference. On that Sunday I am spending my time in Epcot, but I have my evenings free the rest of the week to enjoy some Disney Dining. I will be on my own, so I'm looking for places where I don't feel too out of place. Mind you I'm okay with eating by myself.

While in Epcot I do not plan on doing any table service restaurants. My focus will be on snacking around the world as I have a few places/stands I’d like to try throughout the day.

I've already planned a meal at Sanaa for one of those evenings, but have considered ditching that plan and just visiting for an early lunch on the Thursday before my flight leaves late afternoon. That would leave two evenings open for Disney Dining, one at Disney Springs, and somewhere else. So many choices, not enough time. I've considered Boma for one evening, but I'm already planning Sanaa. Not sure I should mix both of them in on such a short time frame. However a buffet isn’t something I am against while on my trip. Also planning either an evening or early afternoon in Disney Springs. I don't get down this way often, and when I visit with family I'm with picky eaters, so I'm looking to explore a bit. I’ve looked at Enzo’s hideaway but the $$$ for what you get turns me off. I do think I’ll go to Jock Lindsay’s for a drink when I’m at Disney Springs.

My decision is still up in the air for sure, but this thread is a great start. So if you don't mind, would you give me some suggestions for restaurants outside of the parks.

In DS, Raglan Rd. is always fun for solo travelers. You could sit at the bar, enjoy an Irish beverage, watch the dancers, and listen to the Irish music. I really enjoyed Sanaa, although it's definitely tucked away at AKL.

NiarrNDisney

Great places for solo dining:

DS - Homecoming, Lava Lounge, Raglan Road, Splitsville

Resorts - Bluezoo Lounge (Dolphin), Cabana Bar and Beach Club (Dolphin), California Grill Bar (CR), Crew's Cup (YCR), Geyser Point (WL), Kimonos (Swan), Kona Island (Poly), Wave Lounge (CR)

Last edited:

GVentola

I often dine alone, including at Disney, without problem. But I do get nervous at buffets. Once, at a non-Disney buffet, I went up to get more food, and when I got back to my table, the bus boy had already cleaned it up, thinking I was gone. I had to tell the manager I needed a new drink, and she sighed. To prevent that from happening again, I made a little sign to put on the table "Be back. Gone to restroom or buffet."

NiarrNDisney

I often dine alone, including at Disney, without problem. But I do get nervous at buffets. Once, at a non-Disney buffet, I went up to get more food, and when I got back to my table, the bus boy had already cleaned it up, thinking I was gone. I had to tell the manager I needed a new drink, and she sighed. To prevent that from happening again, I made a little sign to put on the table "Be back. Gone to restroom or buffet."

Feel free to print the sign below ;)

Attachments

• Buffet.jpg
    Buffet.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 117

slappy magoo

Maybe dinners that also are a show? Hoop-de-Doo? Polynesian Luau? I know you said no table service at Epcot, but there's also entertainment at Biergarten and Marrakesh.

jaklgreen

I am a big fan of Boma and go there every trip solo. I do make a reservation for them but they do hold places for walk ups. I eat whatever sounds good to me. Last time I ate at estaurant marrakesh and really enjoyed it. I am not one of those that sits at the bar because I am single. I like to actually sit at a table when I eat. I really like Morimotos also.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Maybe dinners that also are a show? Hoop-de-Doo? Polynesian Luau? I know you said no table service at Epcot, but there's also entertainment at Biergarten and Marrakesh.

I'd feel awkward doing HDD alone. It's my all-time favorite thing at Disney but I just don't think I could go alone...

Dory71

I'll suggest Trader Sam's at the Poly for drinks. Awesome atmosphere and staff. You can also get appetizers there. We were not impressed with Jock Lindsay's Hanger Bar.

jaklgreen

I'd feel awkward doing HDD alone. It's my all-time favorite thing at Disney but I just don't think I could go alone...

Can I ask what makes you so uncomfortable? Not judging, just want to understand other's point of view. I go anywhere and everywhere solo and have zero awkwardness so I was just wondering what it is that makes it so for you? Do you worry what others think?

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Can I ask what makes you so uncomfortable? Not judging, just want to understand other's point of view. I go anywhere and everywhere solo and have zero awkwardness so I was just wondering what it is that makes it so for you? Do you worry what others think?

I have no problems going solo to just about anywhere else at Disney (I've done it multiple times) but to me HDD is so interactive with the cast that I'd feel awkward there by myself...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom