On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Miss Bella

Quite a bit more. The cruise industry in Florida has a huge impact on Florida economy. Numbers from 2018, $7.69 billion. Getting cruises back up will definitely help with Florida jobs.

Finally, these direct expenditures generated total economic impacts of 154,646 jobs and $7.69 billion in income throughout the Florida during 2018. Florida’s total employment impact increased by 3.8 percent while the total wage impact rose by 8.4 percent. These impacts accounted for 37 percent of the national employment impact and 33percent of the national wage impact.

I stayed at the deserted Mco Hyatt the night before we flew home. They are devastated by the lack of cruise passengers. DCl partnered with them for pre-cruise packages.

Nubs70

That's not completely true. Most of the major cities had at least their centers severely damaged, some much more heavily than others (compare, for example, Leipzig, that was only hit piecemeal, with Dresden, whose Altstadt was obliterated). Some cities, like Bonn, Weisbaden and Heidelberg escaped almost completely untouched. Many smaller towns and villages were left alone and bypassed. Very few unlucky cities were completely destroyed

So although some of the old buildings needed to be rebuilt from almost nothing (most of Dresden's Altstadt again, Munich's old Rathaus, Berlin's recently completed Stadtschloss), a lot of the preservation of old buildings you see today was performed to limit age-related decay, not necessarily rebuilding from war damage. Some of the old buildings actually look better today than they did before the war, mainly because historical preservation is more valued now than in the past. This process has really picked up since reunification, especially in the old east, where many of the older structures were left to rot, even without war damage.
I stayed in St. Goar right below Rheinfels Castle directly across the Rhein from St Goarhausen to the east just north of the Lorelei Straits. St Goar architecture was what one would expect as typical German architecture. St. Goarhausen directly to the east was entirely of 50's - 60's architecture.

I later looked up the history. Come to find out, St. Goar was 1 of 4 river crossings with Wesel, Remagen and another down south. The reason for the stark difference in architecture is that prior to the actual crossing multiple batteries of 105 howirzers were brought in 5 miles to the west and proceeded to pound St Goarhausen into dust. I found a photo in a record of the history where a US soldier was getting a haircut at the exact spot on the youth hostel patio where we drank the hostel out of wine.

Miss Bella

That's not completely true. Most of the major cities had at least their centers severely damaged, some much more heavily than others (compare, for example, Leipzig, that was only hit piecemeal, with Dresden, whose Altstadt was obliterated). Some cities, like Bonn, Weisbaden and Heidelberg escaped almost completely untouched. Many smaller towns and villages were left alone and bypassed. Very few unlucky cities were completely destroyed

So although some of the old buildings needed to be rebuilt from almost nothing (most of Dresden's Altstadt again, Munich's old Rathaus, Berlin's recently completed Stadtschloss), a lot of the preservation of old buildings you see today was performed to limit age-related decay, not necessarily rebuilding from war damage. Some of the old buildings actually look better today than they did before the war, mainly because historical preservation is more valued now than in the past. This process has really picked up since reunification, especially in the old east, where many of the older structures were left to rot, even without war damage.
My 16 year old is a huge history buff specifically WWII. If you had a week to spend in Germany what are the best places to visit. I will be flying into Frankfurt. Ive also never set foot in Germany. My son would also like to go to Krakow. Is that doable?

Heppenheimer

My 16 year old is a huge history buff specifically WWII. If you had a week to spend in Germany what are the best places to visit. I will be flying into Frankfurt. Ive also never set foot in Germany. My son would also like to go to Krakow. Is that doable?
With only a week, that wouldn't be much time to go all the way to Krakow.

For someone who has never been to Germany, and because you're flying into Frankfurt, I would recommend splitting your time between the Middle Rhine valley and southern Bavaria. These are two of the most instantly rewarding regions to visit. In the Alpine region of Bavaria, you'll see the direct influence of Disney's "fairy tale" style.

Other than a few museums, monuments to the war dead and the victims of fascism and some subtle hints scattered around the country, there's actually very little remaining of the Third Reich. Germany isn't keen on preserving this part of their history. Don't expect anything like a preserved Civil War battlefield.

Nubs70

You can spend a week in Berlin and not scratch the surface of things to see. I am a WWII nut myself. Of all the places I have been, standing at the Brandenburg Gate was literally an out of body experience. All that newsreel footage I have seen over the years and I was there where it happened.

Fat Bike Tours has a great 1/2 day tour around Berlin with lunch.in the Tiergarten.

A day trip to San Souci in Potsdam is really good accessible by S Bahn and bus transfer

A day trip by train from Berlin to Koln and climb the catherdral. Pay attention to the topography between Berlin and Koln. You will understand why Montgomery tried Operation Market Garden.

Transportation in Berlin is very easy. Language is not a huge issue. Germans tend speak better English than US natives. Hotels, I stayed at Hampton West Berlin on combo points plus money for $50/night, have a huge breakfast spread included with room (Covid may kill that). The trip for family of 3 was less/same as
an equivalent duration at WDW moderate with park tickets, airfare included.

duder

We did a little over a week in Germany in May 2019.

We flew into Frankfurt, took the train down to Nuremberg, where we stayed 2 nights. We spent a lot of time just walking around old Nuremberg and visited the museum at the Nazi rally grounds and the zepplinfeld.

Took the train down to Munich. Stayed 3 nights there. Spent a day walking and touring around Munich. Went to the concentration camp at Dachau. Hard to call that enjoyable, but it was definitely an experience that I think everyone owes to themselves to do if possible; out of respect to those who went through it, and to ensure that we dont forget how horrible human beings can be to each other.

We did a day trip from Munich over to Salzburg in Austria. Simply one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

Finally, we took the train from Munich back to Frankfurt for dinner and stayed one night there. Enjoyed a half day walking around the city before catching out flight back home.

The whole trip was spur of the moment because we stumbled upon a great airfare. I wasnt opposed to going to Germany, but there were definitely other places in Europe higher on the list. However, it was an amazing experience and depending on when you ask me, could be my favorite overseas trip that we have ever done.

Highly Recommend it, at least the Bavarian part of the country.

Nubs70

With only a week, that wouldn't be much time to go all the way to Krakow.

For someone who has never been to Germany, and because you're flying into Frankfurt, I would recommend splitting your time between the Middle Rhine valley and southern Bavaria. These are two of the most instantly rewarding regions to visit. In the Alpine region of Bavaria, you'll see the direct influence of Disney's "fairy tale" style.

Other than a few museums, monuments to the war dead and the victims of fascism and some subtle hints scattered around the country, there's actually very little remaining of the Third Reich. Germany isn't keen on preserving this part of their history. Don't expect anything like a preserved Civil War battlefield.
I concur on the Civil War battlefield comment. The topic of WWII is pretty much not discussed other than with tour guides. However, with one's knowledge of WWII, you will know what and where to look more so than even your tour guides.

Another interesting aspect on my first trip to Berlin was the difference in affluence between what was East and West Berlin just in the automobiles parked on the street. In Charlottenburg, there were Bugattis and Audis while in Prenzlauerberg there were simple mid sized cars. Another neat contrast is between the Berlin Hbf and Ostbahnhoff. Berlin Hbf is a gleaming glass encased train station with the Ostbahnhoff being of what you would expect of East German construction, narrow hallways with 7ft ceilings. Fredrichstein station is what you would expect of.1920's construction.

In summary, when the opportunity returns, GO.

Tom P.

About that...
Eviction bans are not a solution. As a very shot-term stopgap, perhaps, but it is not sustainable over any period of time. You simply cannot expect landlords to carry tenants for months and months with no rent. Without that income, many landlords would not even be able to pay the mortgage, taxes, and insurance on their properties.

I feel bad for renters who are affected by COVID-19, but if the government really wants to offer a solution, then it needs to actually cover those people's rent. Simply saying everyone can stay in their homes rent-free is going to end up bankrupting a lot of landlords.

Nubs70

20160830_164601.jpg

This from the Oragerie at SanSouci in Potsdam. That marble floor is so precise you could hold a curling match on it. After laying several tile floors, it was amazing.

Lilofan

Eviction bans are not a solution. As a very shot-term stopgap, perhaps, but it is not sustainable over any period of time. You simply cannot expect landlords to carry tenants for months and months with no rent. Without that income, many landlords would not even be able to pay the mortgage, taxes, and insurance on their properties.

I feel bad for renters who are affected by COVID-19, but if the government really wants to offer a solution, then it needs to actually cover those people's rent. Simply saying everyone can stay in their homes rent-free is going to end up bankrupting a lot of landlords.
Some renters though are taking advantage of extensions of eviction bans and not paying rent. Amazon deliveries are on the upswing in those locations.

Heppenheimer

I concur on the Civil War battlefield comment. The topic of WWII is pretty much not discussed other than with tour guides. However, with one's knowledge of WWII, you will know what and where to look more so than even your tour guides.

Another interesting aspect on my first trip to Berlin was the difference in affluence between what was East and West Berlin just in the automobiles parked on the street. In Charlottenburg, there were Bugattis and Audis while in Prenzlauerberg there were simple mid sized cars. Another neat contrast is between the Berlin Hbf and Ostbahnhoff. Berlin Hbf is a gleaming glass encased train station with the Ostbahnhoff being of what you would expect of East German construction, narrow hallways with 7ft ceilings. Fredrichstein station is what you would expect of.1920's construction.

In summary, when the opportunity returns, GO.
The current Hauptbahnhof, though, was built post-unification. If I'm not mistaken, the land it now sits on was a dead zone between the divided halves of Berlin. I'm not positive, but I think the Zoo station may have been the main rail terminus for the western half of the city, if you wanted a side-by-side comparison.

Berlin is a fascinating city, but it isn't the place to go if you want to see the scenic Germany that influenced the Disney fairy tale look. Wouldn't particularly recommend it if your interest is Third Reich history (Munich and Nuremburg would be better for that), since besides the Olympic Stadium, Templehof Airport and the flak tower, hardly any traces of the regime survive. The Berlin Third Reich tours mostly take you to parking lots or in front of inconspicuous apartment blocks where something else once stood. If your historical interests include Prussia, the German Empire or the Cold War, though, there's plenty to see. Don't expect to see hardly anything built before the late 1800s unless you head out to nearby Potsdam, which is well worth a daytrip.

Tonybme

I knew a guy from FL who had a German girlfriend. They both went to Dresden to visit her family. My friend said the Germans in Dresden hated Americans. He told me why.

I'm an American. My wife is from Dresden. I am not hated when I go over there. In fact, people hear my accent and are excited to practice their English.

The only time I get concerned is when the AfD is having their rallies. And that's all I'll say about that because I don't want to get political.

Nubs70

The current Hauptbahnhof, though, was built post-unification. If I'm not mistaken, the land it now sits on was a dead zone between the divided halves of Berlin. I'm not positive, but I think the Zoo station may have been the main rail terminus for the western half of the city, if you wanted a side-by-side comparison.

Berlin is a fascinating city, but it isn't the place to go if you want to see the scenic Germany that influenced the Disney fairy tale look. Wouldn't particularly recommend it if your interest is Third Reich history (Munich and Nuremburg would be better for that), since besides the Olympic Stadium, Templehof Airport and the flak tower, hardly any traces of the regime survive. The Berlin Third Reich tours mostly take you to parking lots or in front of inconspicuous apartment blocks where something else once stood. If your historical interests include Prussia, the German Empire or the Cold War, though, there's plenty to see. Don't expect to see hardly anything built before the late 1800s unless you head out to nearby Potsdam, which is well worth a daytrip.
Yes Zoo Station was the Main Hbf before the current Hbf. Actually going to Berlin gives much more appreciation than textbooks. One can spend 2 days on Museum Island alone. If you look at the columns and facades you can tell which direction the Russians were coming from.

Even stopping for a beer in Hackeshermarkt and people watch. Just a hint, the ladies standing on the street corner are not waiting for the bus. That is another cultural difference.

Tom P.

Some renters though are taking advantage of extensions of eviction bans and not paying rent. Amazon deliveries are on the upswing in those locations.
Of course. There will always be dishonest people who take advantage of any attempt to do good. My point, though, was that you can't help renters who are in trouble by shifting the burden to the landlords. All you are doing is breaking the financial backs of the landlords instead of the renters at that point.

Nubs70

I knew a guy from FL who had a German girlfriend. They both went to Dresden to visit her family. My friend said the Germans in Dresden hated Americans. He told me why.
Not really true. I never had an issue at all when I was over there. I went over the first time for 3 months for my MBA and studied with German students. Mind you I was almost twice their age. I found the German students some of the most admirably bright intelligent people. Extremely nice to which I keep in contact with to this day. We have an open invite for dinner if and when we may be in each other's towns.

I was brought up with the WWII centric understanding and preconceptions of Germany. My take away is that the subsequent generations, especially the current, have nothing to do with what happened back 70+ years ago and should be respected accordingly.

celluloid

Of course. There will always be dishonest people who take advantage of any attempt to do good. My point, though, was that you can't help renters who are in trouble by shifting the burden to the landlords. All you are doing is breaking the financial backs of the landlords instead of the renters at that point.

I second it. It just shifts the problem as if it is shifting the blame.

Lilofan

For gov't to cover renters rent as opposed to temp eviction bans? That's wishful thinking. How is that going to be operated, on the renters "honor"system?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom