On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

DVCakaCarlF

Point taken...and itā€™s possible that partial herd was obtained...

But back to attendance/travel...thereā€™s two problems:
1. Cant do that in Florida...or California. Not now. Several key ā€œismsā€ and ā€œacysā€ are gonna block it.
2. Travel is going to resume for Disneyā€™s demographics when those people are darn good and ready...not a second sooner. That is really isnā€™t up for debate.

In a way...the real thing - and house money is on they are fully conscious of this - is Disney is watching/measuring just what their pull is.

I bet itā€™s not as much as many - including myself and most of the dust brigade - thought it was.

Every instinct tells me they arenā€™t seeing the demand. As many times as posters say they are ā€œignoringā€ the demand...itā€™s not there.
Unless you are either a local or AP/DVC, itā€™s not the place to be...no fireworks, entertainment, dining, transportation. Thus, the once in a year or lifetime demographic is out.

And THEN thereā€™s the economy...

MrHappy

It went there...trying to go hard to port and get it back.

So why is travel down 75%???

...uh oh. šŸ¤”
Can you provide more info? Thatā€™s a broad stroke. Iā€™m curious to know if you are referring to air travel and if this stat includes March/April, you know, the uh oh days of quarantine.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This thread is...
a) Stockholm Syndrome
b) Sunk Cost Fallacy
c) Irrelevant tangents
d) All of the above
1999 called...they said:
ā€œItā€™s D...welcome to Disney chatā€ šŸ¤Ŗ
Can you provide more info? Thatā€™s a broad stroke. Iā€™m curious to know if you are referring to air travel and if this stat includes March/April, you know, the uh oh days of quarantine.
See: title of thread.

The numbers are unofficial...but thereā€™s really no need to doubt them based on observations.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unless you are either a local or AP/DVC, itā€™s not the place to be...no fireworks, entertainment, dining, transportation. Thus, the once in a year or lifetime demographic is out.

It hasnā€™t even gotten bad yet. But people will ignore it. They will continue to ignore it...you will see it daily.

Get your popcorn šŸæ

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Cast members furlough letters will delay layoffs for a while. Writing is on the wall (sadly)
I posted the mgm resorts link earlier...there are key points unsaid in there.

Layoffs for real...benefits kept through 9/30.

Thatā€™s 10/1...which is still largely under the radar.

Disney...to their credit...has stated a 12/31 endpoint on bennies. Thatā€™s at least something.

Polkadotdress

Disney has been LUCKY... and thatā€™s a win for everyone. So far.

Disney has not been ā€œluckyā€. Rather, they created a super-detailed safety plan that essentially changed nearly every procedure in their operation, and have maintained ridiculously high standards in maintaining those procedures. Including mask wearing by both Cast and guests.

Tom P.

US law is interpretative case law. In about 99.995% of the instances.

Civics lesson complete
It is. Because we discarded what the Constitution actually says early on, circa the John Marshall court, and instead substituted case law and court precedent as our holy grail. But that's not how the Constitution was actually written to work.

But, as I say, that ship has sailed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney has not been ā€œluckyā€. Rather, they created a super-detailed safety plan that essentially changed nearly every procedure in their operation, and have maintained ridiculously high standards in maintaining those procedures. Including mask wearing by both Cast and guests.
That does not prohibit contact with individuals coming off the property ...including mostly employees...that venture in and out of their safe zones every day.

There could have been a flashpoint...just as their could be at universal...and it hasnā€™t happened. There is a percentage of luck there for sure.

I am impressed with their protocols...no doubt. I said so and I will repeat it without nuance.
It appears to be a success as of now.

Key points...for sure.

I understand the ā€œother sideā€ of the name tag as well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is. Because we discarded the what the Constitution actually says early on, circa the John Marshall court, and instead substituted case law and court precedent as our holy grail. But that's not how the Constitution was actually written to work.

But, as I say, that ship has sailed.

Like the ability to fight back against raiding Oswego or infantry detachments straying down from Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario, or New Brunswick??

...you see my point...I think...itā€™s that it wasnā€™t gonna work.

Such that it is.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

But that type of contact is 1) unrelated to the resort being open and 2) would have occurred whether WDW was open or not.
No I disagree. People from out of state wouldn't have had that contact if Disney wasn't open. IMO while it's great that with Disney open people are back to work and I am happy for them, they should not be open. With them open it encourages travel between states that shouldn't be happening right now. When multiple states have/had hot spots the last thing that should be happening is travel. Where I live they have been encouraging people to travel within their province.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But that type of contact is 1) unrelated to the resort being open and 2) would have occurred whether WDW was open or not.
That wasnā€™t the equivalency I was making...

I was saying that things have worked out well for Disneyā€™s operation in Florida to this point...which I know well...for a variety of factors including preparation and luck. Weā€™ll never know the degrees as it stands.

The nba is a big factor in that too...that has nothing to do with the theme park operations other than providing ā€œrevenueā€ and/or operating income for the Street that doesnā€™t fit.

Miss Bella

I'm none of those and I had a great trip. What's the big deal about fireworks? Do you not all have those in hometowns?

Miss Bella

No I disagree. People from out of state wouldn't have had that contact if Disney wasn't open. IMO while it's great that with Disney open people are back to work and I am happy for them, they should not be open. With them open it encourages travel between states that shouldn't be happening right now. When multiple states have/had hot spots the last thing that should be happening is travel. Where I live they have been encouraging people to travel within their province.
Numbers are going down without shutting down....enough said. Isn't there another thread where this has been discussed ad nauseam.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I got my shot in? Both ways? Do tell.
That was an ā€œintellectual drive byā€...school yard tactics. Make your opinion know in 5 words and then tell others to shut up in one breath.

Nothing inventive.

How about this one:

ā€œI think Bob Iger runs a human traffic ring out of the kitchen of Mystic Pizza in Van Nuys...but youā€™ll have to find another thread if you have an opinion on it. Now back to attendance.ā€

Doesnā€™t work...really at all.

FYI...I was kidding about the pizza...donā€™t start a google search. šŸ˜±

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom