On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

WDW Pro

Has this article gotten any buzz on here?

Some gold quotes:

Besides scrapping the networks, he shut down a musical version of the animated film “Frozen” that opened with much fanfare on Broadway two years ago, closed a chain of English-language schools in China, and scaled back a $1 billion resort-technology project that has largely been replaced by a simple mobile-phone app.

“He’s going to be looking in every corner where they can save money,” said Dave Heger, an analyst who follows the company at Edward Jones and recommends buying Disney stock. “Considering what Disney is dealing with, he’s the right guy to have at the wheel.”

And my favorite:

“But Chapek is beginning to get out from beneath Iger’s shadow. The ex-CEO wasn’t even on Disney’s last earnings call with analysts -- a surprise to some who expected Iger to keep a tight hold on the company.”

I don't know who might have said Chapek was taking over behind the scenes. Maybe the same guy who said a virus was going to shut down Disney Parks? Who knows. Maybe the same guy who said there's big trouble for someone at Disney in the ole legal realm? Who knows.

All our threads are dust in the wind.

Basil of Baker Street

This is absolutely the truth.

To expand: not only is it advantageous for business to close offices...it’s going to be advantageous for schools to try that as well. I mean colleges. The studies have shown Brick and mortar campuses will become insolvent completely by the next decade. Tuition will hit a ceiling and the bills can’t be paidz

Heck...the only reason college kids are going back right now is that they didn’t have enough time to charge tuition on remote without give backs.

In the future...we will “work” privately and have to have structure gatherings for social interaction.

Star Trek...basically

And working from home allows kids to ride the bus home saving many families very expensive daycare or after school care. It really is a win win for everyone. The workforce model is changing forever.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Has this article gotten any buzz on here?

Some gold quotes:

Besides scrapping the networks, he shut down a musical version of the animated film “Frozen” that opened with much fanfare on Broadway two years ago, closed a chain of English-language schools in China, and scaled back a $1 billion resort-technology project that has largely been replaced by a simple mobile-phone app.

“He’s going to be looking in every corner where they can save money,” said Dave Heger, an analyst who follows the company at Edward Jones and recommends buying Disney stock. “Considering what Disney is dealing with, he’s the right guy to have at the wheel.”

And my favorite:

“But Chapek is beginning to get out from beneath Iger’s shadow. The ex-CEO wasn’t even on Disney’s last earnings call with analysts -- a surprise to some who expected Iger to keep a tight hold on the company.”

Why should it? It's just some guy's opinion on things we already new.

I mean, for Bloomberg News, it's part of their mission to relate what big businesses are doing, and the article summarizes the changes at Disney. So, job done.

However, there's also the framing of those changes by "broad shouldered" Chapek. By the way, is this modern feminism where one can comment on someone's appearance in a professional setting as long as you do it for men as well as women?

Anyhoo... if they author had a better understanding of the context of Disney in which Iger said over and over again on every Quarterly Call for two years that the number one focus of Disney is its streaming platforms, then he shouldn't have been surprised at Chapek's write-off of TV channels since it perfectly fits with Iger's stance and is *not* an example of Chapek "getting out from underneath Iger's shadow."

So, this guy's spin on what's happening is a bit off. Another example: it wasn't at all surprising that Iger wasn't in on the last Quarterly Call. In the previous call, Iger only had an introductory remark introducing the new CEO whose responsibility is to handle the Quarterly Call. And Chapek took over completely. There was no need or reason for Iger to be in on the most recent call.

So... this guy doesn't have any good insight with regard to the context of any recent changes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I mean, for Bloomberg News, it's part of their mission to relate what big businesses are doing, and the article summarizes the changes at Disney. So, job done.

However, there's also the framing of those changes by "broad shouldered" Chapek. By the way, is this modern feminism where one can comment on someone's appearance in a professional setting as long as you do it for men as well as women?

Anyhoo... if they author had a better understanding of the context of Disney in which Iger said over and over again on every Quarterly Call for two years that the number one focus of Disney is its streaming platforms, then he shouldn't have been surprised at Chapek's write-off of TV channels since it perfectly fits with Iger's stance and is *not* an example of Chapek "getting out from underneath Iger's shadow."

So, this guy's spin on what's happening is a bit off. Another example: it wasn't at all surprising that Iger wasn't in on the last Quarterly Call. In the previous call, Iger only had an introductory remark introducing the new CEO whose responsibility is to handle the Quarterly Call. And Chapek took over completely. There was no need or reason for Iger to be in on the most recent call.

So... this guy doesn't have any good insight with regard to the context of any recent changes.
Not saying I agree with it...but it should get some play...

This is a Disney discussion site and their business future is more important than ever. Discussion is Healthy.

We’re not going back into the echo chamber again, are we?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Deaths are up...cases are about flat...

Which cherry picked “Ron Don Was right!!” Stat are we using this week?

You need a tee time, man...I’ll buy. How about baltusrol?
Sorry can’t, down the shore this week. Not much social distancing, very little mask compliance. Guess a spike is coming. Prob just gotta wait two more weeks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know who might have said Chapek was taking over behind the scenes. Maybe the same guy who said a virus was going to shut down Disney Parks? Who knows. Maybe the same guy who said there's big trouble for someone at Disney in the ole legal realm? Who knows.

All our threads are dust in the wind.

Slpy3270

Did the author not realize that Disney was shuttering foreign nets *before* the pandemic? They've been money losers for years because almost nobody was watching them. Many other American media companies have been bailing the market as well (NBCUni closed their European nets a few years ago and AT&T once tried to sell HBO Europe about a year and a half ago).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry can’t, down the shore this week. Not much social distancing, very little mask compliance. Guess a spike is coming. Prob just gotta wait two more weeks.
Wildwood warriors?!?

I know...I’ve seen examples on LBI most weekends...though for some reason there’s seems to be less blowback there?

‘Merica!!

MissingDisney

I don't think larger schools like North Carolina, Michigan, Virginia, UCLA, etc. need to be concerned because degrees from there are still highly valued in multiple ways.
On the other, I think/hope there is a greater appreciation of the mental health benefits of having to be in a particular place at a particular time surrounded by fellow human beings. Indeed, at our university a lot of the energy in planning for the next semester is going toward trying to figure out how to deal with first year students feeling adrift with so few opportunities to be anywhere near the campus or meet their peers face to face.

While I’m sure established students aren’t bailing out in masses, a lot of large colleges are seeing deferred enrollment for freshman year and kids opting to go to a community college or less expensive school for the first year since most everything is online anyway. My son was enrolled to begin at a Big 10 school this fall however, everything is online. There’s no point of paying those rates for him to be home. Instead, he deferred his enrollment and is approved to attend the first semester, at a minimum, at a local community college on an approved transfer plan.

I will say both schools have put forth amazing efforts to help incoming freshmen with the unconventional transition.

pheneix

Original Poster

You’re not totally wrong.

The Disney executive “profiles” as featured in the article do generally get a editorial read from Zenias office in Burbank before going to press.

This was a typical executive gushing article just like the classic ones.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the problem is the sheer number of universities, especially the huge ones that you mentioned which (accurately or not) are not considered elite. I don't think larger schools like North Carolina, Michigan, Virginia, UCLA, etc. need to be concerned because degrees from there are still highly valued in multiple ways.

There really aren't any huge private schools (that I'm aware of) and they mostly have gigantic endowments, so I don't think any of them have to worry.
Those ones you listed are at most risk. Dependent on a collapsed model that consisted of large amounts of state and federal funding that isn’t there anymore.

Lilofan

You’re not totally wrong.

The Disney executive “profiles” as featured in the article do generally get a editorial read from Zenias office in Burbank before going to press.

This was a typical executive gushing article just like the classic ones.
Those pics of the executives looks like massive airbrushing or makeup or both.

robhedin

...you’re in a hot zone. And one that sorta chose to be one...following the C Student pied piper.

I hate to bring up that being a thing...but it is a thing. Same with Florida

And the money and demographics of travelers to Florida and wdw...are what they are. They are heavily weighted.

I know a guy...couple of kids (who have been there dozens of times), bought DVC in his 20’s, APs....like a good wdw bar....pays the redonkulous menu prices at the sitdowns as the preferred dining style.

That’s what wdw needs and in large numbers. Wherever they come from...but they know there’s a geographical distribution that’s completely disrupted.
Hot zone or not is pretty immaterial. We're talking about people being unwilling to travel but the South East seems willing to travel -- as long as they can drive.

Take a look at the Sturgis Rally in South Dakota. If you went to that you were driving by definition to bring your bike, and they pulled in what? 250k people from all over the US. Granted these may or may not be the same demographic as would go to Disney (although the income is likely there, the kids may not be).

It seems that some people are willing to travel but they don't want to fly and they don't want restrictions.

Others just aren't willing to travel.

UNCgolf

Those ones you listed are at most risk. Dependent on a collapsed model that consisted of large amounts of state and federal funding that isn’t there anymore.

I disagree. I think the schools with the biggest risk are the large public ones that don't have elite standing. The ones I mentioned are some of the top universities in the country, public or private.

I think more average, non-flagship public universities are the ones who could really feel a crunch. Places like UNC Charlotte, Alabama-Birmingham, etc. -- if states cut funding, they're going to cut it from those schools and try to keep the flagships running smoothly. Even if it's just essentially for PR.

Last edited:

Nubs70

As a lecturer at a university in The Netherlands, I have the same impression.

After years of pressure in higher education to move toward online delivery, I think the current pandemic has actually reinforced the value of having physical lectures and tutorials for both students and administrators. On the one hand, online delivery entails far more and less efficient work for staff and students. On the other, I think/hope there is a greater appreciation of the mental health benefits of having to be in a particular place at a particular time surrounded by fellow human beings. Indeed, at our university a lot of the energy in planning for the next semester is going toward trying to figure out how to deal with first year students feeling adrift with so few opportunities to be anywhere near the campus or meet their peers face to face.

I know this is a bit different considering it's in The Netherlands where most of the higher education is public and less profit-driven. We're also in the midst of a rapid resurgence of COVID which (as far as I can tell) is going to preclude any on campus teaching this semester. However, my impression from US colleagues is that the general lessons are the same.
How in the world are future engineers, doctors, and scientists going to do lab work with an online education?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I disagree. I think the schools with the biggest risk are the large public ones that don't have elite standing. The ones I mentioned are some of the top universities in the country, public or private.

I think more average, non-flagship public universities are the ones who could really feel a crunch. Places like UNC Charlotte, Alabama-Birmingham, etc. -- if states cut funding, they're going to cut it from those schools and try to keep the flagships running smoothly. Even if it's just essentially for PR.
“Elite status” is relative with billions in annual costs. They also tend to be relative to the school who feels that way about themselves.

But changes at minimum are coming from them too.

The ghosts of dean smith and Bo Schembechler aren’t donating their legacy funds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom