On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

peter11435

Cedar Point due to its location in northern Ohio is open May-Oct, with only weekend operations Sept-Oct. So let’s just say that roughly CP is open 1/3rd of the year. If CP was open year round like DCA with their daily attendance unchanged would be 11.1 million (3.7x3.)

Don’t knock America’s Roller Coast it is one of the few regional parks in the country that actually draws nationwide visitors.
That’s not exactly how attendance would work if it was year round. It’s not as simple as just multiplying by 3.

SamusAranX

I make a yearly pilgrimage to Cedar Point from Florida it’s one of my favorite places to be. Except this year unfortunately :confused: The countryside there is beautiful and Ohio gets a negative “corn patches only lolz” reputation when in fact the state is quite geographically diverse from rolling plains to rugged hills to Appalachia to large forests to fun rivers

Touchdown

Nationwide?

I'm sure hard core coaster enthusiasts(a relatively extremely small number) as far away as San Diego make pilgrimages there for some kind of "right of passage" but to characterize the place as a national draw just ain't right......folk however will travel nationwide for a "Flight of Passage"

I see Cedar Point apparel in parks around the country, some it worn by teens and I know non enthusiast friends who have traveled from as far away as New England and Oklahoma. Up in Wisconsin I know plenty of people who go regularly. It’s not as much as Disney but it’s the only regional park I know that comes close.

UNCgolf

Everyone gets a magic band that they need to scan for every ride. After 4 hours they cant go on any rides.

I'm not sure how much that would help; there are a lot of people who spend hours in the parks without getting on any rides.

Plus, those tickets would really only be useful for locals. Who is going to travel to Disney, pay for a hotel room, and then only be allowed in the park for 4 hours a day?

UNCgolf

Location, Location, Location.

California Adventure is just south of Los Angeles, California. Magic Kingdom is in Orlando, Florida.

Cedar Point is in Sandusky, Ohio.

To be fair, the only reason people go to Orlando is for the theme parks. It's not comparable to Los Angeles in any way.

If Cedar Fair was really a huge deal, more people would travel there for it the same way people travel to Orlando -- although that's not really a fair comparison either, since far less people would go to Orlando if it was simply one individual park.

UNCgolf

Some employers insist emoyees who travel to those areas quarantine. A few with pay, some can work at home and others without pay. Trip posts and pictures posted on social media inform employers

Sure, but huge numbers of office workers (at least in cities) around the country are already working at home anyways. No one at my firm has been in the office since March in any of our locations around the country.

It's definitely a problem for some people, but there are plenty of people who could go to Disney if they wanted without having to deal with any of those issues.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sure, but huge numbers of office workers (at least in cities) around the country are already working at home anyways No one at my firm has been in the office since March in any of our locations around the country.

It's definitely a problem for some people, but there are plenty of people who could go to Disney if they wanted without having to deal with any of those issues.
The quarantine rules have much more effect on travel - in a weird way - in regards to schools than the current work from home environment

Disorbust

So what is the timeline for layoff/restructuring? One thing I learned about Disney with this pandemic is they are not a very nimble company.

Touchdown

Orlando is at the intersection of 2 of Florida’s very few highways that go East-West. Sandusky is 30 minutes from the only highway in the region, and is cut off from Columbus by not having a interstate grade highway that travels directly to it from that city.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom