OMG so much information...

heidili

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I'm absolutely new in the Disney World topic. Never been there.

I'm planning a trip to Florida in Jan/Feb next year and thought, 'well it could be nice to visit Disney for 1 day'. Ahahahaha... big laugh.
Then I started to read about Disney World... my first thoughts where kind of 'what the hell' 'people write books about planning a trip to Disney World - are they kidding?' 'HOW big is this?' - and after reading and reading I ended with something like 'oh I want to stay the whole 21 days here'.

Thanks to internet, and after hours and hours (days) I spent reading about Dining Plans, Fast Passes, Resorts, onsite off site and so on; I feel that I now know a little bit what I would like to do...

And that's where I need some input if this is manageable at all - because I've already learned, that I'm quite late in planning my trip.

I would like to rent DVC points and to split my stay because, I'd love to see AKV but I've also learned that they are quite far away from everything, so I'd like to stay at something more in the middle like BCV.

I looked at David's rental pages and the prices are great compared to booking with Disney... (even compared to booking with Disney uk including Dining plans - I already thought about Dining Plan, but I think it 'forces' one to eat more than necessary).

BUT - is there even a slight chance of availability?! - I read that most people book about 11 months in advance?!

My Disney 'dream' vacation:
1 week BCV followed by 1 week AKV (or even splitting between 3 resorts?! or is that too much? (Thinking about BLT as 3rd option))

And 1 week spending before and after Disney driving through Florida (maybe including a wedding on the beach - another 'small' project besides Disney planing).

We are me (38), my (not yet) husband (40) and our 6 year old son.

My time frame would be 3 weeks between Jan 25th and Feb 21st (but I learned from crowd calendars that Feb will be busy after about 10th Feb).

Your thoughts?
ANY input is valuable for me, because every night I'm sitting with lots of question marks in my head in front of my desktop.

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,
Heidi from Austria

jaklgreen

So there is no availability at all at BCV for Jan/Feb. But there is some availability at AKL savanna view the week of Jan 28- Feb 3rd. That is for points, you will have more luck paying cash but that is very expensive. Saratoga Springs has a bunch of rooms still available.

heidili

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your kind help! :)

I feared that there will be no availability at BCV. But nice to hear that AKL seems to have something free. I will contact David's rental asap.

Do you know if there are any other DVC Villa available besides Saratoga End Jan/Early Feb? (Saratoga seems to have quite bad reviews compared with the other DVC Villas)

Thanks a lot! That helps me with planning and putting the right resorts into Davids request form.

BR,
Heidi

dreamfinder

You are well within the 7 month booking window for any DVC owner at any DVC resort, which means it may be pretty tight. Late Jan shouldn't be too bad, but mid-late February starts to run into school vacation weeks in the US. 1/28-2/10 shows 1BR at SSR, AKL Jambo and Kidani, BWV, OKW and WLV; and Studio at only SSR. Different room classes at each, but something is available for that whole stretch. So you could do a 2 week stay at any of those locations, or split up accordingly. Some of the other resorts have smaller availability during that time as well.

Yes, renting DVC points is much cheaper than paying rack rate for that DVC room, but you may find that paying rack rate for a value or moderate to be even more affordable. Will you use the amenities/benefits of staying in a DVC room? Some people think not having housekeeping daily is a deal breaker, while others love (and greatly benefit) from having an in unit kitchen. Remember that booking through the DVC rental agencies is typically non refundable, so you would need to find travel insurance to cover your trip if you might have to cancel for some reason.

jaklgreen

Thanks a lot for your kind help! :)

I feared that there will be no availability at BCV. But nice to hear that AKL seems to have something free. I will contact David's rental asap.

Do you know if there are any other DVC Villa available besides Saratoga End Jan/Early Feb? (Saratoga seems to have quite bad reviews compared with the other DVC Villas)

Thanks a lot! That helps me with planning and putting the right resorts into Davids request form.

BR,
Heidi

There are not that many studio rooms available, mostly 1 or 2 nights here and there. But if you are willing to go up to a 1 bedroom then there is a lot more rooms available. Boardwalk, BLT, and Boulder ridge all have a ton of rooms left.

EOD K9

(Saratoga seems to have quite bad reviews compared with the other DVC Villas)
Bad reviews are subjective. SSR is my home resort and I will book there first and change it at the seven month mark when I can to avoid too much repetition. That being said, SSR is out of the way and spread out. Those are two of the biggest complaints that I hear. The nice thing is that it is a relatively quiet place to stay. They have a very nice spa and gym. I have no issues staying there. I like it as it is right near Disney Springs. It is a nice walk. You can usually find availability there at the last minute if need be. We are cruising in a few months staying there the night before and BCV upon our return.
Your mileage may vary.

correcaminos

Bad reviews are subjective. SSR is my home resort and I will book there first and change it at the seven month mark when I can to avoid too much repetition. That being said, SSR is out of the way and spread out. Those are two of the biggest complaints that I hear. The nice thing is that it is a relatively quiet place to stay. They have a very nice spa and gym. I have no issues staying there. I like it as it is right near Disney Springs. It is a nice walk. You can usually find availability there at the last minute if need be. We are cruising in a few months staying there the night before and BCV upon our return.
Your mileage may vary.

I so agree with this on bad reviews. We own at OKW which is another that for some reason doesn't have the best reviews. I don't get it either because we like it almost as much as PVB or AKL. SSR will have better availability than OKW and OKW above AKL. Those are usually the last 3 available.

While we love BCV, we actually prefer OKW to it as a comparison. So not everyone feels the same on resorts. Yes I know we can walk to Epcot and DHS from BC, but it's just missing a few things and we aren't a huge fan of the pool *eek*

As we say any stay at Disney is better than none at all.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Have you looked into the cabins at Fort Wilderness? That will give you 2 rooms and a kitchen for way less than DVD rack rate

Phonedave

Your mileage may vary.

I own at SSR as well (in fact, we just added on) and I would list the same things as well, size and location. Not deal breakers, but things to consider.

SSR gets a bad reptuation for some reason. There is a DVC Facebook group I belong to where they jokingly refer to it as "The Hood". Whenever new members come in, it takes them a while to relize it's a joke when people post things like "Couldn't get into BCV this trip, so staying in The Hood instead."

-dave

slappy magoo

Bad reviews are subjective. SSR is my home resort and I will book there first and change it at the seven month mark when I can to avoid too much repetition. That being said, SSR is out of the way and spread out. Those are two of the biggest complaints that I hear. The nice thing is that it is a relatively quiet place to stay. They have a very nice spa and gym. I have no issues staying there. I like it as it is right near Disney Springs. It is a nice walk.

I so agree with this on bad reviews. We own at OKW which is another that for some reason doesn't have the best reviews. I don't get it either because we like it almost as much as PVB or AKL. SSR will have better availability than OKW and OKW above AKL. Those are usually the last 3 available.
Neither SSR nor OKW deserves a bad rep but here are the most common complaints (things I know the DVC members know but the OP might not)
1: They are indeed huge and spread out.
2: They're all DVC as opposed to other resorts that have a dedicated DVC section (even though Disney will rent those rooms if available). So they don't feel as "deluxe" as the DVC sections that are attached to deluxe resorts.
3: One of the reasons they don't feel as "deluxe?" No interior walkways to your room (others like it as it feels more like a "home" than a hotel room)
4: The theming at the resorts is decidedly less whimsical and Disney-magical than most of the other deluxe resorts, with the possible exception of Bay Lake Tower, which brings us to...
5: Location is less desirable for park commandos who want to be on a ride NOW! Both resorts are very close - some units within walking distance - of Disney Springs, so for someone who really enjoys shopping and entertainment and dining during a vacation more than the attractions, it's great, but most Disney fans prefer being closer to the parks.
6: Not the most onsite dining options. It doesn't seem like such a big deal considering how close you are to Disney Springs, but because all the other DVC resorts are attached to Deluxe resorts, there are more dining options in the resorts themselves, so if you wanted to remain close to your room one day or evening, you have much more limited options. Plus with the exception of Animal Kingdom Villas you're very close to other resorts and THEIR dining options - staying on a monorail resort, you can hop on the monorail and be at one of the other 2 resorts fairly quick. Wilderness Lodge has boats to Contemporary and boat/bus/walking path to Fort Wilderness. Beach Club and Boardwalk are walking distance to each other as well as Yacht Club, Swan and Dolphin, plus of course being so close to Epcot's World Showcase and Hollywood Studios. And on their own, each of those resorts has at least 2 sit down restaurants and an expansive room service menu. OKW and SSR have food courts with some grab-and-go items, pool bars with limited menus, one sit down restaurant (the one at SSR, Turf Club, is only open for dinner), and pizza delivery with some subs and appetizers included.

Those are the cons. But I think the rooms are (usually) lovely, well maintained, well appointed, cozy. Plenty of recreational options to do for a leisure day if you want to skip the parks, and again, incredibly close to Disney Springs if shopping is your thing. Very nice pools (SSR has two huge pools as well as a few nice leisure pools). They're definitely a great option for people who might have time to kill, and being the OP is planning a 21 day trip, there probably will be time to kill.

correcaminos

Neither SSR nor OKW deserves a bad rep but here are the most common complaints (things I know the DVC members know but the OP might not)
1: They are indeed huge and spread out.
2: They're all DVC as opposed to other resorts that have a dedicated DVC section (even though Disney will rent those rooms if available). So they don't feel as "deluxe" as the DVC sections that are attached to deluxe resorts.
3: One of the reasons they don't feel as "deluxe?" No interior walkways to your room (others like it as it feels more like a "home" than a hotel room)
4: The theming at the resorts is decidedly less whimsical and Disney-magical than most of the other deluxe resorts, with the possible exception of Bay Lake Tower, which brings us to...
5: Location is less desirable for park commandos who want to be on a ride NOW! Both resorts are very close - some units within walking distance - of Disney Springs, so for someone who really enjoys shopping and entertainment and dining during a vacation more than the attractions, it's great, but most Disney fans prefer being closer to the parks.
6: Not the most onsite dining options. It doesn't seem like such a big deal considering how close you are to Disney Springs, but because all the other DVC resorts are attached to Deluxe resorts, there are more dining options in the resorts themselves, so if you wanted to remain close to your room one day or evening, you have much more limited options. Plus with the exception of Animal Kingdom Villas you're very close to other resorts and THEIR dining options - staying on a monorail resort, you can hop on the monorail and be at one of the other 2 resorts fairly quick. Wilderness Lodge has boats to Contemporary and boat/bus/walking path to Fort Wilderness. Beach Club and Boardwalk are walking distance to each other as well as Yacht Club, Swan and Dolphin, plus of course being so close to Epcot's World Showcase and Hollywood Studios. And on their own, each of those resorts has at least 2 sit down restaurants and an expansive room service menu. OKW and SSR have food courts with some grab-and-go items, pool bars with limited menus, one sit down restaurant (the one at SSR, Turf Club, is only open for dinner), and pizza delivery with some subs and appetizers included.

Those are the cons. But I think the rooms are (usually) lovely, well maintained, well appointed, cozy. Plenty of recreational options to do for a leisure day if you want to skip the parks, and again, incredibly close to Disney Springs if shopping is your thing. Very nice pools (SSR has two huge pools as well as a few nice leisure pools). They're definitely a great option for people who might have time to kill, and being the OP is planning a 21 day trip, there probably will be time to kill.
People have to remember OKW was the original and considered condo style. Which wasn't meant to make it inferior but more like home. I am good with the exterior and at least unlike BWV or AKL, there are no long hallways.

I do disagree on the theming. BC or BW is no more whimsical than OKW. OKW looks like, well... Key West. Or at least how it did. I cannot speak to SSR but I've been told it's pretty good.

OKW does not have a food court though. Those are not found in deluxe resorts. Like BWV and Kidani, the QS can be found at the the pools. Well to of them at least. They do have small grocery items to be purchased, but all DVC locations offer this.

Each resort does have pros and cons though and what works for one is different for others.

Last edited:

EOD K9

I own at SSR as well (in fact, we just added on) and I would list the same things as well, size and location. Not deal breakers, but things to consider.

SSR gets a bad reptuation for some reason. There is a DVC Facebook group I belong to where they jokingly refer to it as "The Hood". Whenever new members come in, it takes them a while to relize it's a joke when people post things like "Couldn't get into BCV this trip, so staying in The Hood instead."

-dave
When I took my tour in 2005, only Congress Park was open. While I never intended to stay in the 3BR, that view of DTD was what really sold me. Its theme really does resemble Saratoga Springs, NY. They did do very well with that. But if you don't know what that city looks like, you may not think the place is themed well. I will also say @slappy magoo did a great synopsis.

slappy magoo

People have to remember OKW was the original and considered condo style. Which wasn't meant to make it inferior but more like home. I am good with the exterior and at least unlike BWV or AKL, there are no long hallways.

I do disagree on the theming. BC or BW is no more whimsical than OKW. OKW looks like, well... Key West. Or at least how it did. I cannot speak to SSR but I've been told it's pretty good.

OKW does not have a food court though. Those are not found in deluxe resorts. Like BWV and Kidani, the QS can be found at the the pools. Well to of them at least. They do have small grocery items to be purchased, but all DVC locations offer this.

Each resort does have pros and cons though and what works for one is different for others.
You're right, but it's mostly a problem of semantics on my part; I tend to just mix up the phrase "quick service" with "food court." Every deluxe resort has some manner of QS, but not necessarily food courts.

As far as the debate over "theme" goes, I would argue that BWV is much more impressively themed than OKW or SSR (Or BCV) as it makes an effort not only to look like a genuine grand inn from a Jersey Shore or other seaside town, but an old school one at that. This comes from someone who is from the Jersey shore and have seen many resorts that BWV tends to try to evoke. But because I'm so familiar with that sort of theme in resorts, while I think WDW makes it feel whimsical, an ideliazed version of that kind of resort, it might not seem as unique to me as it would to people who've never been to a touristy resort on the East Coast. And perhaps the perceived lack of a theme at OKW might have to do with the fact that it's in Florida; maybe that's why the theme doesn't feel as distinct to me as BWV. And while it's possible SSR would fit right in at a genuine resort in the upper New York area, again, it just doesn't seem to grab people the way BWV and BCV does, but how much of that is based on its theme, versus its location, is up for discussion, I suppose.

Another minor but not insignificant plus to those exterior walkways at OKW and SSR - the doors tend to have better weatherproofing which assists in muffling sound from outside. Not like it makes the rooms soundproof or anything, it's usually just a slightly heavier door and an extra strip of insulation along the bottom. But the resorts with interior walkways tend to amplify sound as it reverberates off the walls, and since there's less need of weatherproofing, I know I tend to hear loud families more in BLT than I do at SSR.

correcaminos

You're right, but it's mostly a problem of semantics on my part; I tend to just mix up the phrase "quick service" with "food court." Every deluxe resort has some manner of QS, but not necessarily food courts.

As far as the debate over "theme" goes, I would argue that BWV is much more impressively themed than OKW or SSR (Or BCV) as it makes an effort not only to look like a genuine grand inn from a Jersey Shore or other seaside town, but an old school one at that. This comes from someone who is from the Jersey shore and have seen many resorts that BWV tends to try to evoke. But because I'm so familiar with that sort of theme in resorts, while I think WDW makes it feel whimsical, an ideliazed version of that kind of resort, it might not seem as unique to me as it would to people who've never been to a touristy resort on the East Coast. And perhaps the perceived lack of a theme at OKW might have to do with the fact that it's in Florida; maybe that's why the theme doesn't feel as distinct to me as BWV. And while it's possible SSR would fit right in at a genuine resort in the upper New York area, again, it just doesn't seem to grab people the way BWV and BCV does, but how much of that is based on its theme, versus its location, is up for discussion, I suppose.

Another minor but not insignificant plus to those exterior walkways at OKW and SSR - the doors tend to have better weatherproofing which assists in muffling sound from outside. Not like it makes the rooms soundproof or anything, it's usually just a slightly heavier door and an extra strip of insulation along the bottom. But the resorts with interior walkways tend to amplify sound as it reverberates off the walls, and since there's less need of weatherproofing, I know I tend to hear loud families more in BLT than I do at SSR.

I thought it might be something like that, but wanted to make sure someone reading didn't think they had food courts. I'm actually not a huge fan of real food courts where you have stations. Those are usually limited to the values and moderates. I say it in case I forgot a food court, but I don't think I did.

As for themes, we will all never agree on the same thing at the same time. It's all about our view and what we know and what we like. Definitely up for discussion and as I said none will ever fully agree. It's all good though as that is so opinion based in reality!

I do agree about the sound/weatherproofing doors at the exterior resorts. I find them to be more quiet as a whole. To me BLT and Boardwalk have been the worst for noise. Some of it is bad luck too but still.

Phonedave

OKW really just has a Quick Service counter - it's food options are very limited, and indoor seating is almost non-existant.

For me themeing is a toss up between BWV and VWL - I think both do an excellent job (and I am from Jersey, not quite the shore areas, but I have spent plent of time there).

I go back and forth betwen the lack of hallways making the rooms seem more like a home, or making them seem more like a Motel 6. Many yars ago I worked for the State of New York, and when we had to travel, they wanted us to say in the most "cost effective" places. My boss had a policy - He would not stay in a place where there was no hallway, and he did not expect us to do so either. Maybe that is still impacting me to this day. I am sure the fact that they do not have to condition the hallway spaces keeps my dues down.

I have never had a problem with noise - anywhere , but I can see the point about the doors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom