OMG! My husband just surprised me with a Sept trip!!!

bucklepants

I am new on the boards, but had to share my good fortune.
My husband totally surprised me today with a 5 day trip at Pop for the end of Sept this year. Our next trip was supposed to be August 2013. He kept it secret for almost a month. I was in tears after he presented it to me. This is going to be a 'see how cheap we can get by trip'. Any advice (sharing meals, etc)?
We are questioning keeping it from our daughter. She is 4 going on 5.
I'm thinking about posting a pre-trip report too. I've got so much to look at. I'm wondering if my daughter will need a stroller or not, and pondering the MNSSHP (if it would be worth the splurge this trip). Any thoughts?
OMG I'm so excited!!!!

ddbowdoin

My husband totally surprised me today with a 5 day trip at Pop for the end of Sept this year. Our next trip was supposed to be August 2013. He kept it secret for almost a month. I was in tears after he presented it to me. This is going to be a 'see how cheap we can get by trip'. Any advice (sharing meals, etc)?
I'm thinking about posting a pre-trip report too. I've got so much to look at. I'm wondering if my daughter will need a stroller or not, and pondering the MNSSHP (if it would be worth the splurge this trip). Any thoughts?
OMG I'm so excited!!!!

I have found doing Disney on the cheap to be an easy accomplishment. You hit the nail on the head, share meals.

In general portions are large at each gate, and even better no restaurant (although I can't confirm on Victoria and Alberts) charges a split plate fee. It can be done, and we do it nearly every trip. We split lunches and brought granola bars, etc from home for breakfast. We aren't heavy breakfast eaters.

Upvote 0

AnnaDiehlio

WoW what an awesome suprise!! I would wait to tell your little one! The only advice for food/snacks to keep it cheaper I would think is to bring your own, also I'm sure your daughter could share with both of you the servings on meals as well as snacks are pretty good, I don't know when the "free dining" starts/ends but that may be something to look into to see if you're eligible! Congrats again!!

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

Yay! That is so exciting!! You really don't have to wait very long. Sounds like your daughter is a great age to try to pull off the surprise trip. In my experience I would definitely bring a stroller for her at that age. We are actually renting a double for our 2 year old DD and freshly turned 5 DS. It can't hurt, there is just so much walking for their little legs and it's such a long day. Plus when you are running late for an ADR you can really haul with them on wheels!! Have a great trip and congrats on the magical news!!

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

Congrats on the surprise trip! You will LOVE WDW in September. The stroller would probably be a good idea, especially when your daughter gets tired but you still need to keep going. The MNSSHP would be a great addition to your trip. Make sure your daughter is fine with the characters because the evening is definitely character overload. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

plaz10

Thats so awesome! Congrats!!

A few tips on saving money: FOOD.
Pack a bunch of snacks (granola bars, pop tarts, etc...) that you could eat for breakfast every day.
Sharing meals at counter service is allowed and I've ordered from the kids menu before - sometimes an adult meal is SO much food!
Water is always free from counter service places so you don't have to pay for each beverage.
If you want to eat table service - lunch is always cheaper!

Park tickets - if you plan to be mainly at 1 park during the day...go for basic tickets instead of park hoppers.

Upvote 0

bucklepants

Original Poster
Thanks everybody! We have been to WDW in Sept a couple of times. Last time was a couple years ago. Love the crowd levels! Our DD was 2 going on 3 then and it did take a day or so for her to warm up to the characters, but after that she loved them. I'm getting goosebumbs just thinking about this. I think we will rent a stroller, and I'm brain storming as to how to come up with the extra funds for MNSSHP, and when to surprise her. We are both horrible at keeping secrets.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
OMG I'm so excited!!!!

MNSSHP is so fun! I would go! Wear costumes and trick or treat! A great family memory! A great way to save money is pack snacks. You can buy Disney snacks so you still feel in on the Disney magic. Like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-ALL-...F8&qid=1343849937&sr=8-3&keywords=disney+food

Also, you can buy a lot of souvineers a head of time - i.e. an autograph book and tshirts, light up toys for night time, etc.

Since it is at the end of September - did you get free dining? If not, there are plenty of CS places you can go and share meals!

Upvote 0

bucklepants

Original Poster
MNSSHP is so fun! I would go! Wear costumes and trick or treat! A great family memory! A great way to save money is pack snacks. You can buy Disney snacks so you still feel in on the Disney magic. Like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-ALL-Natural-Mickey-Crisps-0-35-Ounce-Pouches/dp/B001ULH7G8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343849937&sr=8-3&keywords=disney food

Also, you can buy a lot of souvineers a head of time - i.e. an autograph book and tshirts, light up toys for night time, etc.

Since it is at the end of September - did you get free dining? If not, there are plenty of CS places you can go and share meals!

My husband said we didn't qualify for free dining, not sure why, I think because we got a room discount instead. I was thinking of getting an autograph book ahead of time, and packing as much snacks as we can (that won't get smooshed).

MNSSHP is sounding more and more like a MUST! DD I'm sure will go as a princess, but now some costumes for us. Hmmmm???? :)

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
My husband said we didn't qualify for free dining, not sure why, I think because we got a room discount instead. I was thinking of getting an autograph book ahead of time, and packing as much snacks as we can (that won't get smooshed).

MNSSHP is sounding more and more like a MUST! DD I'm sure will go as a princess, but now some costumes for us. Hmmmm???? :)

You can also ship to your resort so you don't have to pack them if you are flying. Also, not just looking to avoid smushing - you want to avoid melting - so nothing with chocolate - like a granola bar unless you have one of those insulated totes. :) You can also get a water bottle with a filter in it - like brita - so you don't have to buy water. Just fill up as you go. You can also buy things like disney animal cookies, disney gummies, and disney cookies. :)

Upvote 0

Britt

I have found doing Disney on the cheap to be an easy accomplishment. You hit the nail on the head, share meals.

In general portions are large at each gate, and even better no restaurant (although I can't confirm on Victoria and Alberts) charges a split plate fee. It can be done, and we do it nearly every trip. We split lunches and brought granola bars, etc from home for breakfast. We aren't heavy breakfast eaters.
OOOO! Im glad to hear this, this is exactly our plan!

We plan to eat breakfast in our room everyday except 2 days (table meals), then split a lunch and either do dinner or dinner out. But ALWAYS splitting meals.

We've allotted $50 per day (to feed 5) that we do NOT have a "sit down" meal. That will be us splitting 2 adult meals and 1 drink. No sides. And then whatevers leftover will be used for dinner. If we decide not to eat dinner out that night and eat back at our room, then that money will just go to the next days dinner!!

And obviously, we'll bring our own snacks and water into the parks. The days we do have "sit down" meals, we're just planning on bringing our own lunch to the park : )

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

OOOO! Im glad to hear this, this is exactly our plan!

We plan to eat breakfast in our room everyday except 2 days (table meals), then split a lunch and either do dinner or dinner out. But ALWAYS splitting meals.

We've allotted $50 per day (to feed 5) that we do NOT have a "sit down" meal. That will be us splitting 2 adult meals and 1 drink. No sides. And then whatevers leftover will be used for dinner. If we decide not to eat dinner out that night and eat back at our room, then that money will just go to the next days dinner!!

And obviously, we'll bring our own snacks and water into the parks. The days we do have "sit down" meals, we're just planning on bringing our own lunch to the park : )

50 bucks to feed 5 might be pushing it though...

Upvote 0

Britt

50 bucks to feed 5 might be pushing it though...
Very very possible!!! LOL Most of the QS menu's show things for about $10 or less, so we'll stick to those and just match up our meals with snacks and just split with kiddos (they're only 7, 6 and 2, so they aren't huge eaters).

We've got a $25 gift card we're saving for over there as well! LOL

*NERVOUS*

Upvote 0

mousefreak

I did a surprise trip for my wife and we traveled the first week of January last year. We stayed at POP, shared meals and brought breakfast items. Doing Disney cheap can be done. MNSSHP is not cheap, but it's a great time. If you can afford it, do it! If you do MNSSHP, they'll let you in at 4pm (I think), so I would suggest not using your entire days ticket at the Magic Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom