Old Stage Show at MGM

meeko_33785

Original Poster
I have been looking all over the Internet and I can't seem to find any info on a show I saw at MGM Studios about a year after it first opened. It was at the Theater of the Stars and featured a bunch of Disney characters like Mickey, Goofy, Roger Rabbit, and the rest of the gang singing songs from Hollywood films. Don't remember too much about it, but I seem to remember Minnie Mouse singing "I'm In The Money" and I think someone doing "Singin' in the Rain" Anyone have any idea of the name of that show? :confused:

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
My map that I have from the Studios 1st birthday has a pic in there but all it tells you is that its a bandshell for shows. It was called Hooray for Hollywood or something like that, not to sure though.

Anyone who will be walking through the CM entrance at the Studios, there is a set of pictures by the costuming department as you walk out towards the street backstage, they have a pic, check it out, should have the name on there.

vonpluto

Her's a incomplete list of shows:

Theater of the Stars 5/89 - 5/93
(torn down for Sunset Blvd expansion)
Show Biz Is ?/89 - ?/89
Now Playing 5/89 - ?/89
Hollywood! Hollywood! 7/89? - ?/?
Hollywoods Pretty Woman 12/89? - 4/90?
________ Tracy Starring in Diamond Double Cross 5/90 - 2/91
Beauty & the Beast 11/91 - 5/93

HTH,
Frank

daniam2188

Originally posted by vonpluto
Her's a incomplete list of shows:

Theater of the Stars 5/89 - 5/93
(torn down for Sunset Blvd expansion)
Show Biz Is ?/89 - ?/89
Now Playing 5/89 - ?/89
Hollywood! Hollywood! 7/89? - ?/?
Hollywoods Pretty Woman 12/89? - 4/90?
________ Tracy Starring in Diamond Double Cross 5/90 - 2/91
Beauty & the Beast 11/91 - 5/93

HTH,
Frank

isint that theater w/ beauty and the beast still there i dont think it closed

vonpluto

The original Theater of the Stars was located approximately where Sunset Blvd. joins Hollywood Blvd. It was torn down for the Sunset expansion. The new theater opened about the same time as TOT
(7/94).

HTH,
Frank

Bagheera

OK, the image is small, but take a look at the park map from 1989 in my last MousePlanet article. If you look at the spot where Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards currently meet (just to the left of where it says "Studio Arch Gate"), you'll see a horizontal orange oval. That's the original Theater of the Stars. On the original map, you can see that the reason that the top side of the oval looks thicker and darker is that it is actually showing the levels of the amphitheater seating. By the way, in the original theater, there was no roof.

[Edit: Actually, you can see it even more clearly in the tile image in the right-hand column.]

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
We first saw Beauty and the Beast in the old outdoor theater (at night). I remember how great it looked under the stars, especially the "Kill the Beast" song. I miss the quaintness of the original theatre. It was reminescent of the Hollywood Bowl in CA.

meeko_33785

Original Poster
Originally posted by steve2wdw
We first saw Beauty and the Beast in the old outdoor theater (at night). I remember how great it looked under the stars, especially the "Kill the Beast" song. I miss the quaintness of the original theatre. It was reminescent of the Hollywood Bowl in CA.

Yeah, I remember seeing Beauty and the Beast in the old theater at night as well. It was very nice looking, but I do think the new theater is a much better venue. The stage is larger so they are able to do more elaborate choreography (to be perfectly honest, the version they did at the old theater was very hokey like a MK character show). The old theater was quaint, but the new one is, IMO, a great improvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom