Old Key West vs 2 Rooms at Port Orleans French Quarter

MissViv

Original Poster
We can rent a 2 bedroom villa from DVC rentals for $90.22 more than 2 rooms at POFQ. We are going for four nights in November and it will be myself and two grandsons 21 & 25.

Do these two resorts have similar travel times by bus to WDW Parks?

Which would you choose and why? We are hoping for free dining to become available but if not we can save some money by having breakfast in our villa. I know there is a lot more room and space in the Villa and very relaxing which I would enjoy. I'm planning on spending more time than grandsons in the room and letting them explore the parks all they want.

PrincessNelly_NJ

You wont be able to cancel and rebook with free dining if you rent DVC points for OKW. Generally transportation from OKW will take no longer since it is a resort with multiple bus stops. FQ has only one. I would presonally book OKW and enjoy the extra space. Check out touring plans room finder to make a good room request.

Please keep in mind OKW doesn't have a true QS location either.

plutofan15

Having stayed at both, I am partial to Old Key West. You will absolutely have more room plus a full kitchen and either a balcony or patio depending on which floor you are on And a full size washer and dryer. It is true that Old Key West has multiple bus stops but I have seen POFQ share busses with POR which adds to travel time. POFQ does have better quick service options with the full food court. OKW for quick service has what is basically a takeout counter with picnic tables and umbrellas. But OKW does have Olivia's full service restaurant while you would need to go to POR for a sit down meal. Both have boat service to Disney Springs which is nice.
POFQ has the single pool while OKW has the main pool and several quite pools scattered around the resort. OKW rooms are the largest on property and the full kitchen is a big plus even if it is just for breakfast and snacks.

Janir

POR is nice, but OKW with 2 bedroom with a full kitchen and such is alot more convenient and its still very nice. Having a common room for both bedroom groups is very helpful to get ready for parks and for just general lounging about when your back from the parks. The OKW 2 and 3 bedrom units are pretty much apartments with full furnishings.
OKW might take a touch longer depending on where your room is to get to a park as you might need to use the resort only bus to get to a park bus, but that's about it. Your overall transit time will still take a while either resort. but will be more varied by current traffic than any distances.

MissViv

Original Poster
Would it be crazy to consider a 1 BR at either AKL - Kidani or Bay Lake since they have two bathrooms? The grandsons could sleep in the living area on the sofa bed and pull out chair bed. Checking now to see if one is available thru DVC rentals, 2 BR's were not available .

Just thinking it would be a little nicer although not as much room but the grandsons will probably be at the parks most of the time. I would use the room more and I, of course, would get the bedroom since I am paying. LOL!!

aliceismad

Would it be crazy to consider a 1 BR at either AKL - Kidani or Bay Lake since they have two bathrooms? The grandsons could sleep in the living area on the sofa bed and pull out chair bed. Checking now to see if one is available thru DVC rentals, 2 BR's were not available .

Just thinking it would be a little nicer although not as much room but the grandsons will probably be at the parks most of the time. I would use the room more and I, of course, would get the bedroom since I am paying. LOL!!
I'd ask the grandsons, honestly. The last time I slept on a sofa bed, I was probably about 21, so they may not care. (And you ARE the one paying, so you're the boss.)

If you're in a 1-bedroom, and they come in late after closing down the parks, is that going to disturb you?

(Kidani is beautiful, BTW. At least I think so.)

correcaminos

I have not read any replies at all, but without a question OKW 2 bedrooms. Why? Space - lots of it. Full sized kitchen to have small meals (you don't have to cook). Large and comfortable patios/balconies. Relaxing ambiance. Some of the best CMs at the recreation (pool, community hall & campfire/movie) out there. I could go on and on. In my mind it is not a question at all which to pick.

correcaminos

How many would be on the sofa?

I don't find AKL any nicer than OKW. If given the choice between a 1 bed at AKL and a 2 at OKW, OKW still wins.

MissViv

Original Poster
One grandson on sofa bed, probably the 6" one and one on the chair bed. He is around 5'7" would he be comfortable?

MissViv

Original Poster
Kidani one bedroom would be $493 less than a two bedroom at Old Key West. Which one do you think the adult grandson's would like best?

We did a split stay this year at Kidani and OKW, and I left wishing we had done the whole stay at OKW. Kidani was beautiful, and the animal views were neat. However, the property overall was more inconvenient in terms of travel time, food options, and space. I would personally visit Kidani for a meal if you want to see the property, but spend your trip at OKW (which is newly renovated, by the way).

correcaminos

Kidani one bedroom would be $493 less than a two bedroom at Old Key West. Which one do you think the adult grandson's would like best?

I like Kidani, but I would want the space of the 2 bedroom. Real beds vs pull outs for the win. Even my 11yo had issues sleeping on the pull out our last quick trip (fortunately only 2 nights) and he's used to tent camping. Not to mention being closer to DS and a more adult vibe at the pool bars than at Kidani for some reason. Both locations have good pools but OKW is more geared towards older ones IMO - Kidani is very young kid friendly.

Lensman

We can rent a 2 bedroom villa from DVC rentals for $90.22 more than 2 rooms at POFQ. We are going for four nights in November and it will be myself and two grandsons 21 & 25.

Do these two resorts have similar travel times by bus to WDW Parks?

Which would you choose and why? We are hoping for free dining to become available but if not we can save some money by having breakfast in our villa. I know there is a lot more room and space in the Villa and very relaxing which I would enjoy. I'm planning on spending more time than grandsons in the room and letting them explore the parks all they want.
What are you wanting to do while your grandsons are out exploring the parks? Also, what time of year are you planning on going? I'm trying to figure out how whether based on park hours you'll be spending the evenings on your own as well.

Being in the room at OKW is very pleasant. For me it's actually better than being at home because there's more space and has a balcony, plus the weather is often much better than in New Jersey. Lol

On the other hand, if you get a building that's far away from the Hospitality House, you'll be quite a walk away from common space, if you're looking for that, though there's always a nearby pool to hang out at no matter what building you're in.

Last edited:

correcaminos

One grandson on sofa bed, probably the 6" one and one on the chair bed. He is around 5'7" would he be comfortable?
I missed this question - maybe? Maybe not. The sofas and chairs are honestly very hit or miss. We will not do one for more than 2 nights or so. Even with egg crate toppers, they can be marginal at best (as was our last one).

MissViv

Original Poster
What are you wanting to do while your grandsons are out exploring the parks? Also, what time of year are you planning on going? I'm trying to figure out how whether based on park hours you'll be spending the evenings on your own as well.

Being in the room at OKW is very pleasant. For me it's actually better than being at home because there's more space and has a balcony, plus the weather is often much better than in New Jersey. Lol

On the other hand, if you get a building that's far away from the Hospitality House, you'll be quite a walk away from common space, if you're looking for that, though there's always a nearby pool to hang out at no matter what building you're in.

MissViv

Original Poster
I will probably just hang out in the room and rest, read, watch tv. I am planning on spending mornings and maybe some evenings in the parks but not all the time like they will want to do. I had bi-lateral knee replacement last October and not sure how my knees will be this November.

We're very close so I know they will want me to hang with them as much as possible. This is a "Nana" family trip!

Lensman

I will probably just hang out in the room and rest, read, watch tv. I am planning on spending mornings and maybe some evenings in the parks but not all the time like they will want to do. I had bi-lateral knee replacement last October and not sure how my knees will be this November.

We're very close so I know they will want me to hang with them as much as possible. This is a "Nana" family trip!
Sounds very relaxing! (and what a generous Nana)

Everyone's a little different but I really like having the real living room to hang out in in a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom. Another plus of a 2 bedroom is that you don't have to make up the sofabed or the chairbed every day. Not that it's that hard but you are on vacation. We like having breakfast in the room but we're also not Early Morning Magic people.

A 2 bedroom for 3 people does feel a little extravagant to me. We've done it before but it's always felt extravagant. It wouldn't stop me from doing it.

I think another factor is whether spending that extra $90 a night on the room is going to make you want to cut back in other areas.

The good news is that there's no bad choice here, just some tradeoffs.

correcaminos

Sounds very relaxing! (and what a generous Nana)

Everyone's a little different but I really like having the real living room to hang out in in a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom. Another plus of a 2 bedroom is that you don't have to make up the sofabed or the chairbed every day. Not that it's that hard but you are on vacation. We like having breakfast in the room but we're also not Early Morning Magic people.

A 2 bedroom for 3 people does feel a little extravagant to me. We've done it before but it's always felt extravagant. It wouldn't stop me from doing it.

I think another factor is whether spending that extra $90 a night on the room is going to make you want to cut back in other areas.

The good news is that there's no bad choice here, just some tradeoffs.
We do it all the time too here (3 in a 2 bedroom). We only do a 1 bedroom if it's for 2 or so nights. It's fantastic honestly and with wanting to hang and relax a lot, that definitely puts me even further into the OKW 2 bed vs 1 bed @ Kidani. Really both are favorites for us, but this situation really sounds like a 2 bedroom would be ideal.

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
I'd go with Old Key West because the 2 bedroom villas are HUGE! There is so much space and you will never feel on top of each other. It honestly feel like you are going home after a day in the parks. The buses can be a bit slow but its not terrible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom