Old Epcot show circa 1991

Rinx

Original Poster
Hey everyone. I was watching an old family video of a trip to WDW. I do not personally remember much because I was just 2 years old at the time. It was 1991 and in Epcot there was a daytime fireworks show in World Showcase Lagoon. It included red and yellow kites/gliders synchronized with each other in their flight patterns. At the end there were big balloons of Donald, Minnie, and Mickey. Mickey was wearing red, white, and blue, Donald was dressed up Mexican, and Minnie Japanese attire. So...anyone know what this show was called and what year they stopped it??

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
It was a glorious time for shows with "Sky" in the name. Fantasy in the Sky at MK, Sorcery in the Sky at D-MGM Studios, and Surprise in the Skies at Epcot.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hey everyone. I was watching an old family video of a trip to WDW. I do not personally remember much because I was just 2 years old at the time. It was 1991 and in Epcot there was a daytime fireworks show in World Showcase Lagoon. It included red and yellow kites/gliders synchronized with each other in their flight patterns. At the end there were big balloons of Donald, Minnie, and Mickey. Mickey was wearing red, white, and blue, Donald was dressed up Mexican, and Minnie Japanese attire. So...anyone know what this show was called and what year they stopped it??
You have already gotten the name. From my understanding it was stopped due to numerous technical issues. The way it was colorfully explained to me is that it was called "Surprise in the Sky" because they were always surprised when the weather cooperated, everything actually worked and the show actually ran.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Plus the area became far too developed; the take off strip is what is now POP Century. Plus as Yoda said the weather and proximity of guests was a big factor; the earlier version, 1985s Skylidascope, was scrapped due to an accident - it was getting too risky to have numerous aircraft so close to a large gathering of guests.

ScorpionX

Plus the area became far too developed; the take off strip is what is now POP Century. Plus as Yoda said the weather and proximity of guests was a big factor; the earlier version, 1985s Skylidascope, was scrapped due to an accident - it was getting too risky to have numerous aircraft so close to a large gathering of guests.
I heard that the show did end because of an accident. Does anybody know what that accident was?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom