OKW- Reviews

pluto13

Original Poster
1. What is the atmosphere like are the studios nice?
2. Rooms- what are they like
3. Bus Service- Is it bad or good or okay are there wait times
4. Your Total Review of the resort

Nero the dog

Don't know about the studios, but the 1br is huge. Really nice airy feel to them.
Buses are okay, but I wouldn't want to be stopping at the back of the resort near the bus stops, a very tight turning circle and very busy. It can seem to take a while to go round the resort to all of the stops.
We are DVC members at BWV, but the last 2 trips we have stopped at OKW and are doing so again this October, so we are more than happy with the resort. Although if we had been quicker to book we would still be at BWV.

mainstreetusa1

OKW has a really relaxed feel as a resort - studios are nice and roomy (I think one of the biggest studios on Disney property) and nicely decorated. Be choosy about where you are on the property though, some of the Studios can be quite noisy if you're near a bus-stop. Never had a problem with the buses either to or from OKW, have read different views but I guess it depends on your expectation - you'll sometimes have to wait 10-15 minutes but that's not be known to kill anyone (to my knowledge anyway!) . I'd recommend a room by one of the pools, you're never far from a bus stop if that's how you'll be travelling
Good little shop on site, and Olivia's is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner as well as the Snack Bar at Old Turtle Pond Pool and Goodes to Go up at the main pool area.
I'd give it a 10/10 but I'm a DVC member there so a bit biased I suspect ;-)

MadMax11

1. Atmosphere is casual. Very laid back and very relaxing. Feels like a vacation home. I've stayed in a studio on a couple of occasions, including the last time I was there with my wife and 2 sons. 2 queen beds...plenty of room.

2. Picking up on where I left off...you can also see rooms online. They're nice. Most have been recently updated, in fact.

3. Bus service is the same it is virtually everywhere else. Has its good days and its bad days.

4. I love OKW. My family bought into DVC as it was first offered, so I've stayed there more times than I can recall. As I said, it feels like a vacation home. Definitely relaxing.

disney magic 06

We were there in May. Our studio was a very good size, much bigger than most Disney rooms.

We asked for a kettle, the lady on reception said this would be fine and Mousekeeping would be round with one. However we had a voicemail to say we couldn't have one as we had a microwave and toaster!

We had requested a room close to Hospitality House, but were given one 15minutes walk away. I asked at check-in if we could have a closer room but was told there were none available as the hotel was very busy.

Our refillable mugs were almost unused as it was so far to fill them. They could be filled at the pool bar but that was only open 11-5 (fine weather only).

It is a quiet and relaxed resort and has boats to Downtown Disney (we didn't use it as it was easier to get a bus from close to our studio).

We found the lack of a proper counter service inconvenient, Goods to Go is ok but has no covered seating area, it is really just a stall.

All in all, I can see why some people love it. We would probably have been quite happy if we'd been nearer to the main part of the hotel but as we didn't have a car it was inconvenient and just didn't work for us.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We had requested a room close to Hospitality House, but were given one 15minutes walk away. I asked at check-in if we could have a closer room but was told there were none available as the hotel was very busy.

There is a separate DVC booking category for being close to the Hospitality House, so unless you book this as part of your reservation, it is highly doubtful that any rooms would be available as a request. If you are booking with cash via Disney, I don't believe that you can even request that category, as there are only a few units, and they probably save those for DVC members to book first.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

We loved our stay there in a studio, and will be trying to grab a Grand Villa for next year (it isn't our home resort, so we'll keep our fingers crossed!). Anyway, very laid back and relaxing. Food was excellent at Olivia's. Boat service to DTD is very relaxing and a nice ride.

Rooms are quite large (I believe the largest DVC rooms on property), and very comfortable. We had a room near the Hospitality House, and the bus service was actually quite good the week that we were there. Of course, we don't go during the really busy times, either. We never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus to any park.

Recommended if you don't mind being away from the "action" of the parks at night, and want a more relaxing vacation. We don't commando the parks any more, so OKW was perfect for us (we also love SSR, our home resort, and will be there in a few months!)

You can't go wrong with OKW!

worldtraveler

All you OKW lovers are making me excited about my trip. I'll be a first timer in November and I am quite nervous because I normally stay at the Poly and this is an unknown. But it seems all good so far.

luv

Never stayed in a studio, but the 1-beds are about the size of a decent 1-bedroom apartment in most of the country. They're relaxing with bright touches.

It's a calm place. If you're lucky, you'll get a view of a little water or leafy, weedy things.

Goods To Go has a really decent selection for a sandwich counter and I enjoyed sitting at the tables on the wooden deck. The tuna fish is the best I had anywhere at WDW.

I'm a big fan of OKW. In fact, the only thing I didn't like was getting stuck behind one of those golf cart things they use to deliver towels and stuff. Gotta drive like 4 mph, lol. Otherwise, I was very happy with OKW.

epcotisbest

Never stayed in a studio, but the 1-beds are about the size of a decent 1-bedroom apartment in most of the country. They're relaxing with bright touches.

It's a calm place. If you're lucky, you'll get a view of a little water or leafy, weedy things.

Goods To Go has a really decent selection for a sandwich counter and I enjoyed sitting at the tables on the wooden deck. The tuna fish is the best I had anywhere at WDW.

I'm a big fan of OKW. In fact, the only thing I didn't like was getting stuck behind one of those golf cart things they use to deliver towels and stuff. Gotta drive like 4 mph, lol. Otherwise, I was very happy with OKW.
You are right, the one bedroom is huge...it is a calm, relaxing place, and we, like you, were very happy with OKW.

mouselvrmom

I absolutely love OKW. It may be my favorite DVC property!

We get a two bedroom because there are 6 of us, but he studios are really large. Much bigger than any other resort. There are 2 beds in there instead of the pull out, and the closet is large. I once found my kids playing in there. It was so weird. The door was shut and I heard voices, opened up to the sitting on the floor pretending to talk on cell phones. LOL

We have always had good luck with the buses. They seem to run frequently and we have never had a problem.

I love the feel of the resort. It is very laid back and quiet. Very tropical. When we were in the Keys last year, we drove through a development that looked just like the resort.

I will say that the only issue we have had with it last year is the bugs. My youngest stepped on a snake walking on the sidewalk to our room last time. My son thought that was so cool. He is always lizard watching. We did have to have someone come out because the wasps were really bad on our porch. The porch is huge so we love to hang out there when its raining or when its not, but we couldn't use it until the wasps went away. They were very good about coming out and spraying though.

Here are some room photos.

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

Spikerdink

1. The atmosphere may be the best on Disney property for those who don't want to be 24 hrs/7 days Disney, Disney, Disney. It is very mellow, very calm and never feels crowded to me. Other resorts always make me feel like they are jam packed, but I never have that problem at OKW.

The studios are ginormous. You could bring your pet hippo and assemble a VW Beetle inside and still have plenty of room. I stayed there with a friend many years ago and we never bumped into each other the entire trip while trying to get ready, showering, etc. Since it was Disney's first DVC, they tried out the concept and realized they could make a bigger profit if they made the rooms smaller and put more in a building...so OKW has the biggest rooms of all DVC.

2. The rooms are great - previous posted gave you pics, so I don't need to add! Comfortable, clean and colors of the Conch Republic!

3. Depending on where your room is, you may have a long bus ride. I always made my way to the Hospitality House when I stayed there as the bus left there and went right to the park/DD. Coming back I would always get off at the first stop and walk back to my room. The frequency of busses is the same as the other resorts - sometimes you hit it great, other times you sit and wait, and wait. it is a long ride to some of the parks, but time goes quick!

4. I request buildings 45 or 46 when I stay there and also ask for a water view. The balcony (which has a nice sized table/chair) overlooks the canal and you can watch the boats go by while you drink you nice glass of chardonnay.... Take a look at the map of the resort and see which buildings you might want to stay in - you may agree with me that 45 and 46 are the best!!!! If you have small kids, you may want to ask for buildings closer to the Hospitality House - but like someone said you may still be a bit a way. [One year I stayed with a friend who owns OKW DVC and she DEMANDS to be close to HH. They gave her the room across from the entrance. So all night/early morning you heard the busses making the turns. That took some magic away.)

Overall, I love the resort - BUT.....I find the food choices extremely limiting. I like Olivia's. Food great, service great. But the quick serve is lacking. Your choice for breakfast is eggs or eggs. Not a great variety. Same goes for lunch or snack. Limited offerings. (Since I like to walk I would hoof over to SSR for a breakfast flatbread. Mmmmmm.

The main pool is not as themed as the other resorts' offerings, but it is still a great place. Since they added a water slide a few years ago it made it even more fun for the kids (and some of us adults who like that sort of thing!) The main pool never seems to be as crowded as other resorts pools - SSR comes to mind here.

Take the boats to SSR or Downtown Disney often. Walk around the resort. You won't regret!

Obi

I heard that there are a few buildings that have elevators in them. does anyone know the building #'s these elevators are in? i'm going to put in a request to be in one because my mom, who is going, may be in a wheelchair during the time we go.

MadMax11

I heard that there are a few buildings that have elevators in them. does anyone know the building #'s these elevators are in? i'm going to put in a request to be in one because my mom, who is going, may be in a wheelchair during the time we go.

I don't know specifically, but I'm sure if you let them know that when you make reservations they'll take care of you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom