OKW in June... I have questions...

Sammy5150

Original Poster
We booked OKW for June 13-20. A 1-BR. We will have a car. It is me, my wife, 15 year old daughter, 16 year old son and possibly 19 year old son ( depending on summer baseball schedule).

Are there specific one bedrooms that have been refurbished?

Are 1-BR’s locates throughout the property?

Anywhere specific we should request?

Any thoughts on anything about OKW I’m general?

Thanks!

nickys

Premium Member
We booked OKW for June 13-20. A 1-BR. We will have a car. It is me, my wife, 15 year old daughter, 16 year old son and possibly 19 year old son ( depending on summer baseball schedule).

Thanks!

I'm paging @helenabear who loves this resort! Hope she can help you. :)

correcaminos

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up @nickys

Right now only buildings 30-33 have been refurbished. They are currently working in South Point from what I gather (along with the pool there though I see no real confirmation on Disney). Supposedly buildings 53-56. My guess is that with Turtle Pond closing for refurb in April through early July they will be back in Turtle Pond and doing that area through part of the summer.

1 bedrooms are located throughout the whole property. So you can pick where you like.

With the refurbishment you can try for Turtle Pond to see if you get a newly done room there but the pool will be closed unfortunately. That includes the QS location there too (Turtle Shack Snackbar) and the game room

With South Point in question too, I would suggest Peninsular for a location. It's the first stop always going to/from the parks. It's also very close to the hospitality house where the other QS, TS, Community Hall, main Pool, shopping, etc all are. The nice thing is you can opt to get on a bus there or walk to the HH to be the last one on. We noticed if the buses get full part way through they do bring in a bus for the last few stops. First stop off too so at the end of the day you are right there.

We are huge OKW lovers. We're DVC who bought in there as our first home resorts. The 1 bedrooms are massive! There is only one entrance to the bathroom in the newer buildings (up to building 29) but honestly with the layout it isn't an issue. When I stayed in South Point with my dad, he never got the second entrance anyway and we were not disturbed.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Sammy5150

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up @nickys

Right now only buildings 30-33 have been refurbished. They are currently working in South Point from what I gather (along with the pool there though I see no real confirmation on Disney). Supposedly buildings 53-56. My guess is that with Turtle Pond closing for refurb in April through early July they will be back in Turtle Pond and doing that area through part of the summer.

1 bedrooms are located throughout the whole property. So you can pick where you like.

With the refurbishment you can try for Turtle Pond to see if you get a newly done room there but the pool will be closed unfortunately. That includes the QS location there too (Turtle Shack Snackbar) and the game room

With South Point in question too, I would suggest Peninsular for a location. It's the first stop always going to/from the parks. It's also very close to the hospitality house where the other QS, TS, Community Hall, main Pool, shopping, etc all are. The nice thing is you can opt to get on a bus there or walk to the HH to be the last one on. We noticed if the buses get full part way through they do bring in a bus for the last few stops. First stop off too so at the end of the day you are right there.

We are huge OKW lovers. We're DVC who bought in there as our first home resorts. The 1 bedrooms are massive! There is only one entrance to the bathroom in the newer buildings (up to building 29) but honestly with the layout it isn't an issue. When I stayed in South Point with my dad, he never got the second entrance anyway and we were not disturbed.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)
Awesome! Great information. I’ll reach out when we have more questions come up!

Sammy5150

Original Poster
We have stayed there twice before. Both times in a 2BR. Both times right across from community hall. I just need to educate myself on the 1 BR.

Bartledvd

The one bedroom is the same layout as two bedroom just with second bathroom and bedroom ( the one with two queen beds) blocked off.

correcaminos

Hi @helenabear. I'm glad to find an OKW expert here. I have an August trip scheduled. We have 3 studios booked. Can you provide any details on the renovations? Is there a website or a thread on this board that covers this?

Thanks
There are no websites right now. I just read around a lot and try to stay up on what others are reporting. If you have 3 studios booked, did you request them as "traveling together" to get the best chance of being close? Just popped into my mind given how spread out things can be.

Travelocity has a lot of good pictures lately of the renovations. There were studios done there and they look pretty good. Right now it is buildings 30-33 that were done. They are working on South Point and based on the refurbishment of the Turtle Pond Pool starting in a few months, I am very sure they will be back at Turtle Pond through mid July at least. Beyond that it's hard to guess.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
There are no websites right now. I just read around a lot and try to stay up on what others are reporting. If you have 3 studios booked, did you request them as "traveling together" to get the best chance of being close? Just popped into my mind given how spread out things can be.

Travelocity has a lot of good pictures lately of the renovations. There were studios done there and they look pretty good. Right now it is buildings 30-33 that were done. They are working on South Point and based on the refurbishment of the Turtle Pond Pool starting in a few months, I am very sure they will be back at Turtle Pond through mid July at least. Beyond that it's hard to guess.

Thank you for the info. We booked though a friend who is renting us DVC points for this trip. I believe that he did indicate that we were travelling together, but I will follow up to make sure.

I've come across a few posts that said that the renovations would be done by Summer, 2018, so it seems like the chance of getting a renovated room would be pretty high. Does that sound right to you?

correcaminos

Thank you for the info. We booked though a friend who is renting us DVC points for this trip. I believe that he did indicate that we were travelling together, but I will follow up to make sure.

I've come across a few posts that said that the renovations would be done by Summer, 2018, so it seems like the chance of getting a renovated room would be pretty high. Does that sound right to you?

The 2018 summer is old info. They had delays due to bad reviews on the test rooms. They originally were going to start way earlier than they did. They even had test rooms to look out during our stay (sadly the day they had the tour we were leaving and couldn't stay or I would've gone) and that was June of 2016. More likely are the reports of end of 2018 or early/spring of 2019.

I hope you guys have a great trip! OKW was my first DVC stay and our first DVC home so I do have a soft spot for it.

correcaminos

I love okw...but that's gonna be pretty tight with your party mix...

Two studios wouldnt work better, no?

Not in a 1 bedroom IMO. There is a queen sleeper sofa, a sleeper chair and a king sized bed. Two studios I wouldn't want to do with that party because none are connected or really side by side in the way standard hotels are done.

The 1 bedroom is 942 sq feet and a studio is 390. Granted you would get 2 bathrooms in 2 studios. You also get a washer and dryer and a full sized kitchen. The 1 bedrooms are huge and quite roomy. So you get technically more space with a 1 bedroom than 2 studios.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not in a 1 bedroom IMO. There is a queen sleeper sofa, a sleeper chair and a king sized bed. Two studios I wouldn't want to do with that party because none are connected or really side by side in the way standard hotels are done.

The 1 bedroom is 942 sq feet and a studio is 390. Granted you would get 2 bathrooms in 2 studios. You also get a washer and dryer and a full sized kitchen. The 1 bedrooms are huge and quite roomy. So you get technically more space with a 1 bedroom than 2 studios.

I get you on size...no secret the massive difference on old key west vs the others...

Just seemed like a lot of teens though...and the sleeper chair stinks.

Valid point on the layouts.

correcaminos

I get you on size...no secret the massive difference on old key west vs the others...

Just seemed like a lot of teens though...and the sleeper chair stinks.

Valid point on the layouts.

Hmm... I thought the sleeper chair felt great! But I'm only 5' tall ;) With teens I find they care less about quality than I do too so I wouldn't have been as concerned LOL

nickys

Premium Member
Hmm... I thought the sleeper chair felt great! But I'm only 5' tall ;) With teens I find they care less about quality than I do too so I wouldn't have been as concerned LOL

My boys have never complained about the sleeper chair either. And they're 6'3" and 6'6". The older, and taller, prefers the sofa bed so he can sprawl, the younger ones sleeps anywhere! At the BC, and any hotel room, he sleeps on the floor rather than share with his brother .... :joyfull:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My boys have never complained about the sleeper chair either. And they're 6'3" and 6'6". The older, and taller, prefers the sofa bed so he can sprawl, the younger ones sleeps anywhere! At the BC, and any hotel room, he sleeps on the floor rather than share with his brother .... :joyfull:

lol...I just through that out there...I'm just not a fan of the one bedroom configuration at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom