OK, what could Disney do in the parks that you would actually like?

Den Carter

I’m not keen on complaining about Disney Parks, and I think most of what TWDC are doing at WDW is great progress. I mean, they don’t need to do this stuff to make me happy, but I’d love it if...

1. More benefits for Passholder. I’m a Passholder at WDW and DLP, and at DLP this gives me access to Extra Magic Hours, greater discounts, and more special events than I get at WDW.

2. Ability to buy DDP credits without staying on-site. When in Florida I use Hilton Honors points to stay nearby at Bonnet Creek, which is very good (and free!). Like many, I don’t think the DDP is worth it all the time, but sometimes there are massive savings to be had due to some venues offering great value. Prime example is Polite Pig at DS. Out of pocket you can pay $90 for an amazing lunch with a cocktail, but it’s just one counter service credit, which is astonishing.

3. Sort out the Imagination pavilion.

4. Update Spaceship Earth (I know this is in the pipeline).

5. A new nighttime parade.

6. Make Tomorrowland less Yesterdayland - somehow!

polynesiangirl

New/refurbed monorails are probably highest on my wishlist. I would be thrilled.

I wouldn't be sad to see the Dining Plan go away, but I know that's probably unlikely to happen (and is well-loved by some.)

danyoung56

When the ride up was pitch black with Irons voice it mad for a truly awe inspiring beginning to the attraction. Those video screens to warn morons (maybe legally required) and Judy’s “chiller up beatness” killed it for me.

I'm with you on the screens. I thought they were the stupidest addition I'd ever seen, and they TOOK AWAY the cool audio montage on the way up. I've said before that I don't have a problem with Judi Dench's voice, but I have a BIG problem with the script. It tries to be cute with references to "the first backup system" and such, but it just comes off lame and condescending.

Amidala

I'm not against all or even most of the current plans. I only take issue with a couple of decisions (agree that the GOTG coaster in FW is a travesty, but feeling very positive about both SW:GE and the gondolas) but that being said...

1. Magic Kingdom
    1. Tomorrowland: Speedway should receive electric cars and either a major aesthetic upgrade, or a sleek Tron overlay matching the look of the coaster. Would gladly sacrifice Space Ranger Spin and Laugh Floor if this would leave enough space for a high-quality dark ride with an original concept, or based on a more appropriate IP but would settle for a Laugh Floor replacement. Space Mountain (which will be showing its age once Tron opens next door) is due for a track refurb, and Carousel of Progress could also use a refresh and a replacement/modernization of the final scene. A Stitch replacement and refreshed place-making are already in the works from what I understand, and agree both are needed.
    2. Fantasyland: MK's Peter Pan's Flight should receive the same upgrades as DL's, and Disney characters should be added to Small World. Undersea Adventure needs an extensive re-imagining.
    3. Frontierland: Country Bear Jamboree should receive seasonal overlays, and it would be nice if Big Thunder received the Disneyland effects, but in general Frontierland is pretty fantastic as is IMO.
    4. Main Street: Build the previously promised theater. I would also love to see Emporium reduced in size to make way for more unique shopping experiences specific to Main Street, but won't hold my breath.
    5. General: Nighttime parade! Also hopefully in the works for the 50th.
  2. Epcot
    1. Future World: I'm mostly content with taking a "wait and see" approach to FW at this point, since a lot of my issues stem from the need for an aesthetic refresh, and the neglect/lack of upkeep to the pavilions in general, and these are things TDO (finally) seems to be addressing. That's by far the most important change for me. But a few specifics...
      1. Gut Journey into Imagination and replace with a reimagined Figment/Dreamfinder attraction, bonus points for using trackless dark ride technology.
      2. Replace Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival with an actual show.
      3. Shut down Mission Space and replace with a spiritual successor to Horizons. Even an IP-based dark ride with some education value to it (e.g. Learning about robotics with Hiro and Baymax) would make better use of the space IMO, but then again...pretty much anything would.
      4. 'Play Pavilion' should be a heightened Innoventions, with bigger-budget, more technologically advanced and engaging activities...at least some of which should involve edutainment. Again, no issue with the inclusion of IP within reason, but certain IPs (like BH6, Wall-E, Inside Out) play to Epcot strengths, while others stick out like a sore thumb.
      5. Give the GOTG coaster a pre-show that actually teaches kids something about space.
    2. World Showcase: A Coco overlay for Gran Fiesta Tour and a new country would be great, but neither is pressing for me.
  3. Animal Kingdom
    1. I'm happy with DAK at the moment. An additional land would be exciting later down the road, but the only urgent change IMO is replacing Dino-Rama. We've all been through this a million times before but its existence is an embarrassment. Not really a fan of Indiana Jones as a potential replacement option, but literally anything would be an improvement. Rivers of Light is mediocre even with the infusion of IP...personally think they need to go back to the drawing board completely on that one. But Pandora and Everest are so much fun at night, the lack of decent nighttime entertainment doesn't really bother me.
  4. Hollywood Studios
    1. Echo Lake needs to go eventually, but I have nothing specific in mind for a replacement. Star Tours and Launch Bay are redundant now and should be replaced/removed. The Beauty & the Beast and Little Mermaid shows are way, way past their prime and should both be replaced...DHS Fantasmic could also use a major refresh and a new IP switched out with Pocahontas (Moana would be fantastic IMO). Animation Courtyard in general could be bulldozed and I wouldn't miss it...I'm sure Sophia the First, Doc McStuffins et al. can find a more appealing home than that ugly Disney Junior section wedged in the corner. The only things worth keeping are the Frozen show and Walt Disney Presents.
If we're talking wish fulfillment, what I really want is a new, original themed area of the same caliber as DLP's Thunder Mesa or DisneySea in general...could be a more immersive expansion of The Land and Seas at Epcot, showcasing different ecosystems and including a dark ride and thrill ride. Or knocking down the Circus in MK and expanding into an enchanted forest area, or something of that nature. None of this would ever happen, but if I had to pick a dream scenario that would really make me happy, that's it!

Last edited:

LaughingGravy

Having recently come back from Disneyland and our now grown up kids seeing the lovely dark rides for Mr. Toad, Alice in Wonderland, Pinnochio, and Snow White, it came up in discussion of why doesn't Disney utilize the properties they own?
DW and I both recall growing up seeing double features of re-runs.
My wife saw Dumbo and Mary Poppins together.
My first movie in a movie theater was a re-release of Pinnochio .

How about re-releasing movies in the theaters on large screens? I'm cheap by nature and we have a large projection TV at home, but if there are good movies to be had in the theaters we do pay for them. Newly created CGI based on acquired properties (Star Wars and Marvel) just don't do it.
Re-release the classics in limited runs. Pop in some classic cartoon shorts.
Is it too expensive? Is it more cost efficient to make new multi-million dollar CGI garbage and release it and hope that it competes?

There are a ton of kids now who have never seen those movies at all, or if they have, not the way they were meant to be seen, on a big screen.
Most of what Disney released on home video is just that, home video. It doesn't compare.

Those movies were created to be events. Not just as background babysitting noise.

Do that, and the rest should be easy. Bring back the feeling of Disney to the parks and we may be back in the future, and maybe our kids will bring their kids, but there needs to be a reason.

Circlevision 360 movies, Mission to Mars, If You Had Wings, Wedway Peoplemover, CoP, CBJ, HM, BTM, Hall of Presidents, and others were created as their own things and complimented the movie based attractions. Those were reasons our family came back multiple times in the 70s and 80s and spent a lot of money on other things like watersprite boat rides and other attractions that weren't necessarily included.

Last edited:

Jeff456

Epcot... how it is meant to be, and I only ever experienced Epcot from 1999 onwards I can only imagine how great it was before!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom