Ok tell me about the T-Rex Place

zurgandfriend

Original Poster
When we visit WDW my DW and I each pick a “smaller” meal one night, usually after a big breakfast. I usually pick Sunshine Seasons or the Plaza for a burger & shake. DW’s “go to” place was Cosmic Rays but since they reduced the menu, she has been experimenting. This year she wants to go the T-Rex at the marketplace. First I do not think that is really a “smaller” meal and second, we are an older couple, me in my 60’s she in her 50”s, our son is in college, but I digress.
We have been to the Rainforest Café when our DS was young and I was under-whelmed then. I looked at the menu and I can get salad or a burger but I do not want a migraine on the side. So other than meh food what else awaits?

Minnie Mum

Visually, it's very,er, stimulating. Google it for photos. I'd be tempted to pack my ear plugs if DH ever insisted on eating there.

atjimfromdisney

I would most definitely compare it to Rainforest Café, although I think I might choose T Rex over Rainforest because DINOSAURS haha. I also wouldn't consider it a "smaller" meal either. Menu isn't necessarily cheap, although it's definitely not the worst place I've eaten on property. I've gone a few times to get the massive nachos and some drinks with friends in the past.

Some sauce slinging action at Chicken Guy might be an option? ;)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Its just like Rain Forrest Cafe, just replace the assorted wildlife with Dinosaurs. Same noise concerns there as well, but in addition you have the periodic extinction level event meteor showers. Strange red and blue lighting.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For an older couple, there are about 9 bizzilion better options in Disney Springs than T-Rex. If the wife insists on T-Rex, splitting a desert and having a drink or two at the bar would be a much better option than dinner.

The meteor bites are a great option for that scenario.

October-1st-and-2nd-239.JPG

Amos1784

If you are wanting to try it and keep to a smaller meal I would suggest just going in sitting at the bar and splitting an appetizer. The atmosphere is fun and in my opinion better than Rainforest Cafe, however the food is going to be exactly the same. Overpriced burgers/sandwiches ect. My suggestion would be to go in and get an appetizer and then maybe do the same at some other Disney Springs locations. TRex is also loud so limiting yourself to an appetizer makes it a shorter experience but still being able to enjoy it for what it is. There is SO many better options at the springs make sure you get to try some of the others as well.

NYwdwfan

When we visit WDW my DW and I each pick a “smaller” meal one night, usually after a big breakfast. I usually pick Sunshine Seasons or the Plaza for a burger & shake. DW’s “go to” place was Cosmic Rays but since they reduced the menu, she has been experimenting. This year she wants to go the T-Rex at the marketplace. First I do not think that is really a “smaller” meal and second, we are an older couple, me in my 60’s she in her 50”s, our son is in college, but I digress.
We have been to the Rainforest Café when our DS was young and I was under-whelmed then. I looked at the menu and I can get salad or a burger but I do not want a migraine on the side. So other than meh food what else awaits?
Migraine on the side. :hilarious:

I enjoyed my burger last week but had to specifically request to NOT be seated in the room that changes from blue to pink light. Last time I got the worst headache and I couldn't tell what color my food was. Were it not for the kids we would have opted to eat elsewhere (probably Art Smith's Homecoming).

Dave B

I do not think you can eat there and not get the side order of Migraine, lolol It is very stimulating and loud environment, we did enjoy it

GabeP

and often will have much less of a wait than RC. last trip I was on with my kids, when DS was barely half done (easter week..ack!) the wait for 4 of us at RC on the night we went was 90 min. Dinos was 10. we couldn't get resys ahead of time. I found the place to be better theme-wise than RC but the food and nose levels were def about the same.

Paper straw fan

If you are serious about headaches, try (good luck it's usually crowded) to not get seated in the...ice room? It's just bright blue and red lighting that has induced a migraine in me before. I had to squint thru the entire meal.

Place isn't bad, wife and I go some because 1.) With the Landry's rewards card you get in with like a 15 min wait regardless, and 2.) It's consistent, even if that means consistently slightly above average. Kind of like Outback food but with a smaller menu.

Kristopher Rannells

Unless you share the main entrees, it will not be a smaller meal. Last time we ate there was 2016, but each time the portions were quite large. We've eaten there 4 times and food is slightly above average, but both food and experience is much better than Rainforest. Not sure about the migraine on the side. None of our party of 5 have had it, but it is loud and if you're sensitive to lights and are placed in that room I could see it happening. Used to be a must do for us when my son was younger. He would say if I have to put up with all the princesses, my sisters have to eat with my dinos! lol

Phonedave

I haven't been to T-Rex in a while, so maybe it has changed, but here are my take-aways.

1) It is loud, wherever you sit. It is like RC, but louder. Maybe not a side of migraine, but abandon all hopes of any sort of dinner conversation.

2) IT has RC type pricing and potion sizes. In other words, you are not going to get a small entree. It's not as insane as say, Cheesecake Factory, but they are still large portions.

3) The food is surprisingly decent. Not fine dining by any stretch. But, being the sister restaurant to RC, I figured it would have the same abysmal food. Surprisingly the food was not that bad. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but not a recommendation to run for the hills either. (For the record, I don't see the hype about the meteor bites.. But then I don't think the zebra domes, Le Cellier Pretzel Bread, or Dole Whips are so all fired great either, so take that for what it is worth).

My wife and I are in our 40's and if we were at WDW on one of our "kid free" trips, I would not eat there. Since our kids are 19, 17, and 13, and the 13 y/o has no interest in dinosaurs, I doubt we would eat there with them either.

-dave

KTK

I would recommend against T-Rex especially without children. We ate there the past two years and my three children ages 12, 12, and 11 don't want to go back. It is loud and busy, lots of young kids. Food was ok.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I would recommend against T-Rex especially without children. We ate there the past two years and my three children ages 12, 12, and 11 don't want to go back. It is loud and busy, lots of young kids. Food was ok.
^^^This. A decentish place for a quick drink if you want to see it but meh food. Think chains like TGIF and such only a bit more expensive. An item on my bucket list Wine Bar George for small plates paired with a good glass of wine.

DisneyfanMA

This hasn't been discussed in awhile. I saw this online and it looks like a great place to take young kids, in the off day we are skipping the parks...WE will visit Disney Springs. Anyone know if you can just walk right in here or need reservations mos in advance? Family of 5 and we'd want to sit between 6-8pm on a weeknight in Nov.

MouseMelly

This hasn't been discussed in awhile. I saw this online and it looks like a great place to take young kids, in the off day we are skipping the parks...WE will visit Disney Springs. Anyone know if you can just walk right in here or need reservations mos in advance? Family of 5 and we'd want to sit between 6-8pm on a weeknight in Nov.
Reservations definitely

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom