OK - So BOG really is good

Phonedave

Original Poster
We ate dinner at BOG last week - on a walk up with only 15 minutes wait (so that was a suprise)

We totally did not plan on eating there, but 4 out of the 5 in our group were at the end of their rope (Me, I never stop) and were looking for someplace to eat. Just for the heck of it, I asked, and they said "If you have all 5 people here right now, then we can take you in a few minutes, but you cannot leave the bridge." - Done

Anyway, I fully expected this to be another MK restruant relying more on atmosphere than food - much like CRT. When I am wrong, I admit I am wrong. I was wrong. The food was quite good.

Grilled Strip Steak - Very nice, very simple, but an excellent cut of meat, so nothing fancy was needed. Strip has great flavor, and this one was also quite tender. Skinny fries.

Thyme Scented Pork Chop - Another nicely done dish. Not overcooked - cooked medium as ordered. I thought the AuGratin pasta was nice, but the person who ordered it (15 y/o) was not a fan (she thought it was too dry)

Sauteed Shrimp and Scallops - I was suprised, as the shrimp and scallops were off good quality, not stringy, not over cooked, not rubbery. I lay odds that the puff pastry is from the freezer, but in a restaruant doing this volume, I can't fault them for that. The lobester sauce, that could use some work - it tasted like a canned / packet type sauce to me. Not bad, but not like something made from scratch.

Grilled fish from the kids menu was another standout. I can say that the kids menus have been getting better and better everywhere.

French onion and Potato Leek soups were good as well.

Desserts were the let down - nothing special here folks. Even the "grey stuff" - nothing special.

This place is expensive, and in the real world I would say it a little too expensive for what it is (it is noisy, and the food is just a touch overpriced) but for WDW, this is a solid offering in my book.

Service was excellent, if not clearly over-enthusiastic.

-dave

durangojim

When we ate there last year for dinner I thought the food was average +, maybe good depending on perspective, but we haven't felt the need to go back for dinner. Maybe it has changed over the last year.

DisneyDebNJ

With the mixed reviews of BOG I totally skipped over it for ADRs, but figured I would try to do lunch and maybe plan for dinner during our 2015 trip

tecowdw

I enjoyed it for lunch. I loved the leek soup too. Trying it again this Saturday actually with FP+. Pricey but typical for Disney and if once-in-awhile. Now Plaza Restaurant is a must-do for me EVERY trip. :cool:
I've never done dinner at BOG but the dinner entrees never really entice me considering the prices.

Phonedave

Original Poster
When we ate there last year for dinner I thought the food was average +, maybe good depending on perspective, but we haven't felt the need to go back for dinner. Maybe it has changed over the last year.

I would go back, but I don't call it a must do - In fact there is very little normal dining in WDW that is a must do for me.

It was good though, better than I expected. I was expecting another CRT type experience. and BOG was clearly above that level. Overpriced - yes, room for improvement -yes (despite what the dishes have communicated to Draybook) but I was happy with the meal - not overwhelmed, not overjoyed, but happy - and lately that happens in precious few places in WDW (and almost never in the MK)

-dave

Last edited:

draybook

We've only been once, but we were satisfied with what he got. However, I agree with you in that one experience is hardly the foundation needed to solidify it's place in the annals of fine dining. Good thing we have three reservations this September to help even out the numbers. I had the steak and I agree 100% with your analysis of it!

cw1982

We've only been once, but we were satisfied with what he got. However, I agree with you in that one experience is hardly the foundation needed to solidify it's place in the annals of fine dining. Good thing we have three reservations this September to help even out the numbers. I had the steak and I agree 100% with your analysis of it!

Weren't you the one who told me the steak was good when I brought this up a couple of months ago? You'll be happy to know that we did end up getting the steak, and we liked it as much as you did lol. :)

StarWarsGirl

We also ate there last week. We are going back in August and have it booked twice. I've been there four times and the experience has been nothing but good. Best restaurant in MK. Tony's can be hit or miss, we only do Liberty Tree for lunch because that's when it's a la carte, we only do Plaza for lunch because a member of our party is picky about what constitutes lunch and dinner food (and since Plaza has mostly sandwiches, that's apparently lunch food), we don't do Crystal Palace because it has characters, and Cinderella's Royal Table is crazy expensive. Mostly we've been doing Tony's and otherwise getting food somewhere on the monorail loop. But since BOG opened, we've been eating there a lot. I've eaten there four times now and have never had a bad experience.

I've had several different entrees and the slow roasted pork is best. I loved it and thought it was absolutely fantastic. I got it with the macaroni au gratin and thought that was also great. It came with green beans. I don't like green beans. I ate all of those. The French onion soup is good, but not as good as what I get at Chefs de France. In the past, I've also had the mussels and the steak, both of which have been good, and the shrimp and scallops, which were good, but small. None of us really eats dessert. I've had the dessert at BOG a few times. My personal preference is to have something smaller, so a cupcake is fine with me, though it wouldn't kill them to put a nice creme brulee out as well.

I went there in May and was really impressed with the service and the fact you were allowed to walk around after dinner and take in the atmosphere. Obviously the prices are high, but so is everything else on vacation. I would definitely recommend at least trying BOG more for the experience than the food. I got the braised pork and felt it was the second best meal I had while at the parks. (First being Mexico at Epcot). The only regret I have is not trying the soup.

Special note if you are planning on a specific atmosphere research the room you would like and request it before hand. The ballroom area can get loud, while the other two rooms are more quiet and intimate. I was seated in the ballroom and enjoyed it since it looked just like the movie. Despite the noise it was my favorite room.

I_heart_Tigger

TBH I only booked this as an ADR for my November trip so I could take some photos inside the castle. Glad to hear you can walk around afterwards. I'm assuming that the décor is easily photographed without having to intrude too much on other people's tables? If there is anything that you guys have noted (besides the obvious chandeliers, rose etc) that I may miss for some photos please let me know. I have a feeling this will be my only chance to be in the castle for a very long time and I would like to get as many pics as I can.

tecowdw

Ate for lunch this past Saturday (7/5). Had FP+ for 11:05 but there was no line at all so it really wasn't necessary. I was frankly surprised by that as the last times I've been by BOG on past trips the place had a line past the entry bridge before 11:00. Perhaps the newness has wore off.

I thought the food was good and it came out really quick. Still enjoyed the potato-leek soup and my carved turkey sandwich was flavored well. My dining companion has the beef sandwich and she didn't think it was all that good.

Had one issue at the ordering kiosk. It wasn't cooperating with method of payment (MagicBand) so it took a bit of time. Then once I completed the order i noticed I had forgotten drinks. This oddly required another rose which a cast member had to go get and I had to start the ordering process again just for drinks. Would have been much quicker if they would have just manually entered an order for the drinks. I certainly didn't need a rose to find the self serve drink station! ;)

MotherofaPrincessLover

I've been to BoG once (I didn't know that much about Disney then and we happened to get a walk up for supper that day which when I think about it now is pretty amazing) and loved it. I thought the food was good, but more than that I loved being in the castle. My daughter didn't really know what BatB was then so she couldn't appreciate it. On our next trip, I plan on doing lunch. I don't care about the food as much as I care about my daughter being in the castle (she now loves BatB, well she loves anything to do with princesses). I'm a little sad we won't see the Beast, but my daughter said that was ok.

worldfanatic

Special note if you are planning on a specific atmosphere research the room you would like and request it before hand. The ballroom area can get loud, while the other two rooms are more quiet and intimate. I was seated in the ballroom and enjoyed it since it looked just like the movie. Despite the noise it was my favorite room.

Along that line, does it do any good to request a specific room?
Do they try to honor it, or is that discouraged?
I've got a Saturday night reservation in September, and I'm not the type to normally make restaurant seating requests, but the West Wing sounds very intriguing to me.

Anybody try to ask for a specific room?

I'm sure it's difficult at certain times but when I showed up at the bridge for our reservation, the CM asked if I had requested a specific room. I didn't see an area where I could online either so I'm not sure how one could go about doing this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom