OK, I'll Admit it...Disney Prices Are Out Of Control

Disney.Mike

For me, the service wasn’t slipping to the degree I saw most recently, and that is disappointing. I spend 30 days/yr at Disney and this was the most disappointed I’ve been in years.
We’re you ever contacted by Dis after your sent your emails to them regarding issues during your visit?
[/QUOTE]

Can't speak for him, but I submitted my complaint last weekend (5 working days now) and no one has contacted me. And I specifically requested to be contacted

flynnibus

Premium Member
Can't speak for him, but I submitted my complaint last weekend (5 working days now) and no one has contacted me. And I specifically requested to be contacted

To contrast...

Recently I emailed Lego because I placed a big order just 2 days before a promotion started that included free items, asking if there was anyway to be included in the promo. The CS emailed me back within a day and said..

"I'm sorry to hear that you missed out on the Space Rocket Ride! I know how disappointing it is to place an order, only to see a promotional set included just a few days later. Since we need to reserve these for LEGO fans placing orders between June 5th and 18th, I'm afraid I won't be able to send you one. However, if we still have any Space Rocket Rides left once the promotion ends, I'd be more than happy to send one out to you. If you're still interested, please reach out to us again towards the end of the month to see if we have any in stock! "

Personable... reasonable response.. even tho I didn't get exactly what I asked for (nor was I specifically entitled to..).

So I made note to email them back after the promo.. but had forgotten. I emailed them this week, following up, asking if there were any of the promotional items left... but realizing it had been almost a MONTH since the promo ended. Their response?

"We do have a couple Space Rocket Rides floating around so I've blasted one off in your direction that should arrive to you in about 3-8 business days. Your order reference number is xxxx.

Have an awesome weekend, Steve!"

Now THAT is the kind of customer service Disney set the bar for back in the day. Not just because I got something.. but they were
1 - Human
2 - Relate able
3 - On point and listened SPECIFICALLY to my need/request
4 - Accommodating where they could be
5 - Went above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction
6 - Did not burden the customer with more work

I would have been satisified even if they had replied that they were sorry, but were out... because they did all the customer service things RIGHT. This is the kind of personable and empowered customer service that Disney was known for and a large part of what they built their WDW empire on. The idea of building brand champions, wowing guests, and that little 'extra magic' they built into their customer retention and service processes... all aimed at ensuring guests left thrilled with Disney.

This is an area that Disney was so renowned for... they taught other companies how to do it. Unfortunately Disney has slipped too much into the 'form' replies, canned responses, and lip service. Sure Disney throws freebies at guests in the name of customer response and retention.. but how often do you really feel the situation will lead to actual change? Vs Disney just throwing you a bone?

jpeden

In the Parks
No
We’re you ever contacted by Dis after your sent your emails to them regarding issues during your visit?

[/QUOTE]

Don’t hold your breath. It will be a stock email telling you about all the great things you can buy at Disney. Like when I emailed and expressed disappointment about the price increase for annual passes - they suggested I buy a gold or silver pass, even though I clearly don’t live in Florida and don’t own DVC.

Much-Pixie-Dust

[/QUOTE]
That’s extremely disappointing and such poor customer service.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
To contrast...

Recently I emailed Lego because I placed a big order just 2 days before a promotion started that included free items, asking if there was anyway to be included in the promo. The CS emailed me back within a day and said..

"I'm sorry to hear that you missed out on the Space Rocket Ride! I know how disappointing it is to place an order, only to see a promotional set included just a few days later. Since we need to reserve these for LEGO fans placing orders between June 5th and 18th, I'm afraid I won't be able to send you one. However, if we still have any Space Rocket Rides left once the promotion ends, I'd be more than happy to send one out to you. If you're still interested, please reach out to us again towards the end of the month to see if we have any in stock! "

Personable... reasonable response.. even tho I didn't get exactly what I asked for (nor was I specifically entitled to..).

So I made note to email them back after the promo.. but had forgotten. I emailed them this week, following up, asking if there were any of the promotional items left... but realizing it had been almost a MONTH since the promo ended. Their response?

"We do have a couple Space Rocket Rides floating around so I've blasted one off in your direction that should arrive to you in about 3-8 business days. Your order reference number is xxxx.

Have an awesome weekend, Steve!"

Now THAT is the kind of customer service Disney set the bar for back in the day. Not just because I got something.. but they were
1 - Human
2 - Relate able
3 - On point and listened SPECIFICALLY to my need/request
4 - Accommodating where they could be
5 - Went above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction
6 - Did not burden the customer with more work

I would have been satisified even if they had replied that they were sorry, but were out... because they did all the customer service things RIGHT. This is the kind of personable and empowered customer service that Disney was known for and a large part of what they built their WDW empire on. The idea of building brand champions, wowing guests, and that little 'extra magic' they built into their customer retention and service processes... all aimed at ensuring guests left thrilled with Disney.

This is an area that Disney was so renowned for... they taught other companies how to do it. Unfortunately Disney has slipped too much into the 'form' replies, canned responses, and lip service. Sure Disney throws freebies at guests in the name of customer response and retention.. but how often do you really feel the situation will lead to actual change? Vs Disney just throwing you a bone?

There are a few companies that have caught/surpassed Disney in the CS area. As sad as that is.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Shouldn’t that say:

“Let them PAY to EXPERIENCE CUPCAKES”??

Then upsell....

eliza61nyc

On a recent visit to Downtown Disney, at Ghiridelies, taped to the cash register (visible to the cashier) was a handwritten sign that said, "Greet. Smile. Upsell!!!"
Lol my first job back in the dark ages was Macy's on 34th Street. First thing we learned in training was to never, ever allow a women to leave without an additional item. Every shift we totalled our "multi-sales" Of course now they don't even have sales folks just cashier's.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
This year my wife and I spent five nights at the Sea Island Resort in Georgia. For those who aren’t familiar with the resort, it’s a five star, five diamond property. It’s the only resort in the world to achieve and keep four five star awards 11 years in a row for their two hotels, their spa, and their main restaurant. It hosted the G-8 summit in 2004.

That being said, a week there shouldn’t be cheaper than a week at Disney world. It was.

We could go there for a week the same time in September we are planning to go to Disney for $1000 less for five nights. Disney has gotten out of control. There is no way they aren’t reaching the tipping point.
I'm not trying to offend you here, but...

You’re wrong. There is a reason it’s cheaper. As good as you think the resort is, it’s still not Disney. Georgia pretty much sucks as a vacation destination while the Magic Kingdom is a top 5 destination in the world if measured by popularity.

Apples and oranges. There are a lot of resorts that are nicer than Disney, but they aren’t Disney. I looked at Sea Island in detail. It’s not that good and it’s in an undesirable location in an undesirable state. I have no idea about the ratings you gave, but there are many nicer resorts than that one, including Grand Floridian...which I consider a 4 star resort at best. You’re mostly paying for the location at GF and just a decent hotel.

If Sea Island had any pricing power, they would charge what Disney charges. Since it sucks, they can’t charge whatever they want, so they don’t. You’re making it sound like it’s one of the best hotels in the world which it isn’t even close.

Last edited:

Disney.Mike

You’re wrong. There is a reason it’s cheaper. As good as you think the resort is, it’s still not Disney. Georgia pretty much sucks as a vacation destination while the Magic Kingdom is a top 5 destination in the world if measured by popularity.

Apples and oranges. There are a lot of resorts that are nicer than Disney, but they aren’t Disney. I looked at Sea Island in detail. It’s not that good and it’s in an undesirable location in an undesirable state. I have no idea about the ratings you gave, but there are many nicer resorts than that one, including Grand Floridian...which I consider a 4 star resort at best. You’re mostly paying for the location at GF and just a decent hotel.

If Sea Island had any pricing power, they would charge what Disney charges. Since it sucks, they can’t charge whatever they want, so they don’t. You’re making it sound like it’s one of the best hotels in the world which it isn’t even close.

What makes you say that it's in an undesirable location and in an undesirable state?

I've never heard of it before but it looks fairly top notch as a resort... Hence the 11 consecutive 5 star ratings.
Looks to have a good beach, awesome fishing, a ton of other outdoor activities to do.

PS: Georgia, outside of Atlanta, is an amazing place with some of the best vacation (non themepark) possibilities in the country. Great fishing, salt and freshwater, hunting, mountains in the north ect

It's not "Disney", but trying to downplay it because it doesn't include theme parks is disingenuous

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
What makes you say that it's in an undesirable location and in an undesirable state?

I've never heard of it before but it looks fairly top notch as a resort... Hence the 11 consecutive 5 star ratings.
Looks to have a good beach, awesome fishing, a ton of other outdoor activities to do.

PS: Georgia, outside of Atlanta, is an amazing place with some of the best vacation (non themepark) possibilities in the country. Great fishing, salt and freshwater, hunting, mountains in the north ect

It's not "Disney", but trying to downplay it because it doesn't include theme parks is disingenuous
I’m just saying it’s not exactly a top destination in the world. If people want a beach, they go to Hawaii, Caymans, Turks, Fiji, Bora Bora, Jamaica, etc...not Georgia’s beaches.

The Forbes rating he mentioned is just like any other rating...someone goes and gives them their version of a service test. I mean, it’s some value I guess, but that resort isn’t better because someone greeted me versus a resort in the Caribbean where they didn’t. Location is like 80% of the story when traveling. It’s the whole reason you travel...for a desirable destination and/or activity.

Like I said, Disney is a top destination...Georgia isn’t. Georgia might have some nice places, but again, Disney is a different level of desirability. Maybe not for you, but prices are based on market demand. Comparing it to a random place you like in an undesirable place and remarking how that’s cheaper isn’t really a fair comparison.

rk03221

Disney prices are out of control because people still keep coming back and as long as the right foreigners come prices will keep rising. My friend just got back from his trip, complained and already booked his trip for next year

jpeden

In the Parks
No

Sea Island prices peak at $700-$900 a night. They can and do charge more than Disney World. And they sell out frequently at that price point.

If you think the Grand Floridian is nicer than the Cloister, then I question your judgement on hotels. One is an actually Mizner designed hotel, the other is a decent knock-off.

Sea Island is not an undesirable location in any way. Real Estate starts at $3,000,000 and it is always in demand. It is one of the most desirable vacation locations for some of the worlds most rich and powerful people.

In no way can I afford to live there, but if we catch it on special and only go every once in awhile, we can afford it.

Disney used to be an affordable vacation - it no longer is and the service and quality in no way shape or form equate to the price point. Our room at the Lodge at Sea Island came with 24 hour butler service and was a 700 square foot room for $349 a night - no Disney room comes close to the size, service, or luxury of any other resort in their price point.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I’m just saying it’s not exactly a top destination in the world. If people want a beach, they go to Hawaii, Caymans, Turks, Fiji, Bora Bora, Jamaica, etc...not Georgia’s beaches.

The Forbes rating he mentioned is just like any other rating...someone goes and gives them their version of a service test. I mean, it’s some value I guess, but that resort isn’t better because someone greeted me versus a resort in the Caribbean where they didn’t. Location is like 80% of the story when traveling. It’s the whole reason you travel...for a desirable destination and/or activity.

Like I said, Disney is a top destination...Georgia isn’t. Georgia might have some nice places, but again, Disney is a different level of desirability. Maybe not for you, but prices are based on market demand. Comparing it to a random place you like in an undesirable place and remarking how that’s cheaper isn’t really a fair comparison.

You really have no idea what you’re talking about when it comes to this. People fly in from all over the world to go to the Golden Isles and Georgia’s beaches. No they aren’t bora bora, but they are some of the world’s best ecological examples of barrier islands, and they are EXTREMELY popular. The Cloister and Sea Island in some form has been in business for 91 years, so clearly it’s got staying power and is extremely popular.

Do some research and don’t just come in here talking trash about people’s home state. You clearly have never set foot in Georgia and want to just judge us on things you don’t know. I hope one day you broaden your horizons.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
That’s fair. Maybe I need to check it out.

However, I stand by the part that it’s not as desirable of a location as many other places.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
That’s fair. Maybe I need to check it out.

However, I stand by the part that it’s not as desirable of a location as many other places.

I understand the point you’re trying to make re: desirability, but it’s not really an accurate judgement point. It’s in the eye of the beholder and it really isn’t a tangible item or service for which you can judge a resort.

There are plenty of people that find WDW undesirable as a vacation location. My point was that Disney is overpriced and under-delivers in the service and quality level for the price point they are now charging, and that they are pushing the tipping point for the cost of their vacation.

The average American family doesn’t dream of taking their kids to a 5 star beach resort on the Georgia coast (mainly because they can’t afford it or feel like they can’t). The average American family feels like they should be able to afford Disney world and should be able to take their kids - yet they’re getting to the point where they can’t. I don’t normally use this phrase because I generally believe in capitalism and the free market, but what Disney is doing with their price point is corporate greed.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

Man, what did Georgia and/or Sea Island do to hurt you so badly?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I understand the point you’re trying to make re: desirability, but it’s not really an accurate judgement point. It’s in the eye of the beholder and it really isn’t a tangible item or service for which you can judge a resort.

There are plenty of people that find WDW undesirable as a vacation location. My point was that Disney is overpriced and under-delivers in the service and quality level for the price point they are now charging, and that they are pushing the tipping point for the cost of their vacation.

The average American family doesn’t dream of taking their kids to a 5 star beach resort on the Georgia coast (mainly because they can’t afford it or feel like they can’t). The average American family feels like they should be able to afford Disney world and should be able to take their kids - yet they’re getting to the point where they can’t. I don’t normally use this phrase because I generally believe in capitalism and the free market, but what Disney is doing with their price point is corporate greed.
My quick analysis was based on visitors, which I think is tangible. I believe Magic Kingdom is visited by something like 22M people per year, so they can really increase prices. My concession about the resort in Georgia is I actually haven’t been, so it could be quite nice. However, I stand by my point of Georgia not being a top destination in the world and not even close to a top beach. I was too harsh in my delivery and overall opinion on Georgia. Let’s be real though...it’s Georgia. Florida would also be nothing special without Disney, although the beaches are still better than Georgia.

Unfortunately, this thread pointed out the drop in service and product quality during my last trip.

I think your comment about what families dream of is purely conjecture. The prices Disney charges are based on demand, like it or not. They are having no trouble filling the parks. I watch the financials closely and Parks and Resorts revenue just won’t stop growing.

Greed is a very relative topic and hard to define. Disney parks have a ~22% operating margin (before taxes) and it’s certainly not an easy or cheap business. Microsoft and Visa have much higher margins. Are they greedier? Very hard to define.

Finally, Disney is owned by the shareholders who want a return. You just have to remember Disney wouldn’t exist outside of a capitalist world. Business exists to make money, but we love consuming. Not sure how you fix businesses charging what they can get.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom